It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Credible Intel on Al Qaeda Plots to Bomb New York City

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Federal and city officials in New York City are stating they have received credible leads that Al Qaeda is planning suicide attacks against businesses in New York City. Tom Ridge has scheduled a press conference, presumably to discuss this threat at 2:00 p.m. EST on Sunday.

abcnews.go.com
N E W Y O R K, July 31, 2004 � ABC News has learned that federal and New York City officials have received credible intelligence that al Qaeda has been plotting to carry out suicide attacks on corporations based in the city.

Sources at several law enforcement agencies tell ABC News that an "overseas source" has provided the information about the threat to New York and that it is more significant than the usual "chatter" intercepted from likely terrorists that has prompted warnings in the past.

Officials from dozens of local and federal agencies met into the night Friday and again this morning.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is literally just breaking. Sounds a lot more serious that the usual threats we hear about. The sources told ABC News that Wall Street firms may be targeted.

The New York Times has now added some details to this story:

The New York Police Department, responding to new information that terrorists may be planning to attack corporations or large public institutions in the city, last night advised building managers and corporate security personnel to step up their procedures to guard against vehicles rigged with explosives and against chemical agents placed in ventilation systems.

"The information is considered credible," said another law enforcement official, who insisted on anonymity. The official said the police and federal terrorism authorities, who have received similar threats before, were unusually concerned about the new information.

Tom Ridge, the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security was scheduled to be in New York City today, and the law enforcement official said he expected Mr. Ridge to comment on the new information this afternoon.

The article goes on to say that the United Nations was considered a potential target.

Reuters has now also gotten information from another source:

The New York Police Department source told Reuters that increased intelligence "chatter" from overseas of a possible fresh attack of the city prompted meetings late Friday and early Saturday between NYPD chief Raymond Kelly and Pasquale Damuro, head of the FBI's office here.

"The intelligence is not specific but we are taking it very seriously," the source said, noting that the intelligence was deemed "credible."

[edit on 8-1-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8-1-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 1-8-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[edit on 8-4-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Why it had to be New York I don't get it, Is other big cities in the US but this terrorist seems to prefer New York.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It would really detract attention from the Republican National Convention if those attacks occured during the convention.

Oh wait, maybe thats the point of it all.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
It would really detract attention from the Republican National Convention if those attacks occured during the convention.

Oh wait, maybe thats the point of it all.

It seems from the article that the threat is more imminent than that. The convention isn't for a couple of months.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Why it had to be New York I don't get it, Is other big cities in the US but this terrorist seems to prefer New York.

Marg...if you don't know the anwser to this, then you don't know a lot about the US. Think about the past, the present in New York and what New York meant and means to the US.

What can you find in New York?.....

Is there a statue of liberty in Florida?.... Is Wall street in Texas?..... can you think of anything else that you find in New York and not anywhere else?

Radicals not only want to attack and kill Americans, they want to "destroy" the US. How can you destroy a country?

btw, New York is not the only place radicals seem to be targeting.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I've heard it said, New York City is the Capital of the world.

Although I am sure many only consider it the capital of the western world. But the title of Capital of the World fits since the UN is based there.

Why wouldn't the terrorist want to hit it. Talk about damaging the pysche of the people of the US. The last time they hit NYC the whole planet felt it.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Think about the past, the present in New York and what New York meant and means to the US.

What can you find in New York?.....

Is there a statue of liberty in Florida?.... Is Wall street in Texas?..... can you think of anything else that you find in New York and not anywhere else?

btw, New York is not the only place radicals seem to be targeting.

I am glad to see someone from Florida responding. Now, I am a recent transplant. There have been a lot of posts in predictions about S. Florida. I asked why? What is the incentive to hit FL? Any ideas Muaddib? No one has answered.

Most of my sources in NY told me a few months back how the police & even private security firms consider this almost ineveitable this summer. Now no matter how much they prepare, I don't think we can be assurred it can be stopped, but there are plans in place for response if it happens that should be better than 9/11. Though I for one think, considering the 10's of thousands that could have been lost in those buildings that the loss was minimal, though no single loss of life is tolerable.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Has anyone else picked up on this?

Officials from dozens of local and federal agencies met into the night Friday and again this morning.

Sounds damn serious, and sounds like something could happen very soon.

I've always wondered myself why no group ever tried a suicide bombing attack in the US, since it's so popular in the Mid East. A couple of times I've wondered that maybe the next attack might be a massive co-ordinated suicide bombing attack, say with 20 or 30 people, hitting different parts of a city or cities at the same time. Can you imagine that? It would be horrific...

Kinda scary to see this perhaps on the way to reality.

[edit on 31-7-2004 by rangeroftheeast]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangeroftheeast
Has anyone else picked up on this?

A couple of times I've wondered that maybe the next attack might be a massive co-ordinated suicide bombing attack, say with 20 or 30 people, hitting different parts of a city or cities at the same time. Can you imagine that? It would be horrific...

[edit on 31-7-2004 by rangeroftheeast]

This is exactly what I worry about. This is the way they operate when it is a serious attack. I remember the morning of 9/11 calling a native Lebanese friend as the WTC unfolded. He basically told me it was not over - to hang on. He was right - 2 more planes after NY got through. The statements were made from his perception of the muslim extremists, from growing up in Lebanon as a Christian who lost half his family in the war.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Muaddib,

New York is nothing new for me after all I have family all over US. My husband was born in New Jersey his family live in New York and so my grandmother for the last 55 years and yes she called my mother on the 9/11 day to tell her how she was able to see the second air plane hitting the second tower whoa!!!!!!!!!!!I still don't get it why New York? I don't buy the what it means to US I think they targeted those towers because they were more accessible to them.

And this is just an opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Goodbye RNC protests. 250,000-400,000 were expected to show. Good excuse for a total security clampdown.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Ruuuuun, ruuuun, someone in the government heard "above normal chatter!" AAAAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Its probably because it has lots of tourism and ALOT of cameras and news people. Now Im no terrorist but I know if I crashed my exploding car into CNNs building and people see two or more anchormen being blown up live, thats better than blowing up cows in nebraska.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Here are two news clippings about the kind of damage these truck bombs can inflict:

Link 1

Link 2

By the looks of it, if one of these trucks explodes in the middle of a mass of people, close to a hundred people can be killed, with many more seriously injured. This should give a clue that these trucks will be used around a mass of people. Do you have any ideas where they could strike from now to the elections?

And here is something that doesn't seem to get too much attention in the mainstream news, either. Mossad operatives in the United States getting caught with trucks that contain traces of elements used in explosives.

Have an open mind...Is Israel's Mossad behind terrorism in America? And could it be Mossad agents who will be operating as Al-Qaeda? It's up to you to decide...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
there was a report about a month ago on the news of one of the local tv stations here. they said that because of lack of funds, the border patrol was being told to release people that they had picked up crossing the border....even some that appeared to be "suspicious"..

I'm sitting here wondering...if these "suspicious people" could be the ones??

what happened to the funding for homeland security??

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Our goverments usual scare tactics at work....

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Al Qaeda's always trying to attack New York City....so what? What can we do about it? Run around like chickens with our heads cut off? Duct tape ourselves into our homes? Vote GOP? (sigh)

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Vegemite,

You make more sence I guess that's what Al-queda may be looking, for a lot of news to make their point across. Whatever that may be.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimnebulin
Goodbye RNC protests. 250,000-400,000 were expected to show. Good excuse for a total security clampdown.

Of course, it's all part of the Bush "World Domination Plan." I seriously doubt it's all part of a master plan.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Al-Qaeda plotting to attack NYC....big surprise there!!
NYC is and will continue to be a target and a place where these terrorists can infiltrate and blend in until they are ready.
This alert really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone especially with the republican convention ahead.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join