It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Accident at Plant in Mississippi USA gets Totally Ignored!!! Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+143 more 
posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I just found out there was a nuclear accident here in the USA.

According to the information given to me by the source, apparently it is around a level 3 accident according to the international scale for nuclear accidents. That is my personal assessment since no one to my knowledge has rated this disaster at this time.

This apparently happened about 2 days or 3 days ago (??) and I haven't heard ANYTHING about it anywhere. Not even a whisper on ATS about it.
Website where I found the story.

Workers at the Grand Gulf Nuclear Plant in Port Gibson, Miss., last Thursday released a large amount of radioactive tritium directly into the Mississippi River, according to the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), and experts are currently trying to sort out the situation. An investigation is currently underway to determine why the tritium was even present in standing water found in an abandoned unit of the plant, as well as how much of this dangerous nuclear byproduct ended up getting dumped into the river. Many also want to know why workers released the toxic tritium before conducting proper tests. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

The Mississippi Natchez Democrat reports that crews first discovered the radioactive water in the plant's Unit 2 turbine building after heavy rains began hitting the area last week. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

This incident is apparently not even a week old.

The Mississippi River just got slammed with nuclear waste guys, in a bad way.

We don't know the volume of the contaminants, we don't know anything really.

I will provide background information on the nuclear site and on the chemical pollutant to aid others in helping to get a handle on this bad boy.
Grand Gulf Nuclear Generating Station WIKI

Tritium Wiki

Naturally occurring tritium is extremely rare on Earth, where trace amounts are formed by the interaction of the atmosphere with cosmic rays.

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen, which allows it to readily bind to hydroxyl radicals, forming tritiated water (HTO), and to carbon atoms. Since tritium is a low energy beta emitter, it is not dangerous externally (its beta particles are unable to penetrate the skin), but it is a radiation hazard when inhaled, ingested via food or water, or absorbed through the skin.

Tritium can prove to be exceptionally hazardous when introduced into the largest river in North America, as countless people will be exposed eventually. That Wikipedia article lists 4 sources for the health risks of tritium that are very credible and extremely well documented/researched. Please give them a look if you don't already know about this stuff.

So WHY is the MSM ignoring our very own nuclear disaster in Mississippi USA? (Also LA because the power plant is on the border with that other state as well) ??

OH I forgot. Because the truth sucks and it makes people not want to play along with this SICK and DISGUSTING joke of a society we have eh?

Go buy your garbage and watch your TV and forget about it right?

NOT ME! I am royally pissed.

I am just FED UP with the negligence of the nuclear industry and the sad fact that ONE SIMPLE MISTAKE can create hundreds of years of deadly pollution. It's total BS and NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

Sorry my OP is not perfect, but I will add more information as I uncover it. Any help is appreciated. I can't find anything about this on ATS, please don't ignore it folks.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Great thread, muzz. S+F.

Where have you been???

Anyways, I was actually going to post this but I assumed someone already posted it on ATS when it happened. I guess I shouldn't assume.

In the coming years, these nuclear plants will get exponentially more dangerous as they age and become less reliable.
edit on 7-5-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

A beta radioactive substance, tritium bombards cells and damages DNA when inhaled or swallowed, and can persist in the body for more than ten years upon exposure. Its perpetual effect on cells can lead to all sorts of serious diseases, including, but not limited to, gene mutations, birth defects, and cancer. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

From the original link.

This information is apparently pretty accurate after doing some preliminary research of other scientific documents/reports on this particular radioactive particle.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
Great thread, muzz. S+F.

Where have you been???

Anyways, I was actually going to post this but I assumed someone already posted it on ATS when it happened. I guess I shouldn't assume.

In the coming years, these nuclear plants will get exponentially more dangerous as they age and become less reliable.

Sup Virt, thanks for the reply.

I have just been lurking mostly and only able to get on ATS at a fraction of what I am used to lately.
I make a little post or two every day but today I have had all day to hang out so I'm not dead or anything haha.

The Fukushima thing kinda got me bummed out and distraught over things, but I'm ok I am just worried about everyone else honestly.

I guess it really came to the point where I had to accept my fate, and the fate of my children and their children. I won't get over it, ever, but I have learned to accept the facts of reality and am learning about how to deal with them in constructive helpful positive ways. Trying to at least.

Really nice to see you V1rt, and thank you for caring - seriously. Most people just don't care at all.
I guess that makes you Uber

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Excuse me for my limited knowledge of American geography, but how does this tie in with the flooding along the mississippi? Which is discussed in another thread on here but as this is my first post i have no idea how to link. Will the levee breach at Birds point have an affect? Well the Blast that caused the breach? Any clue on what effects the stuff dumped will have on the flooded farm land? Sorry for all the questions but i have been following the other thread and hadnt noticed anything about this. I know America is huge but so much in such a small space of time, Really?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Actually, I think there was some mention of it in one of the flood threads a couple of days ago, and it briefly showed up on the RSOE website.

Gone now though.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stopthatfrog
Excuse me for my limited knowledge of American geography, but how does this tie in with the flooding along the mississippi? Which is discussed in another thread on here but as this is my first post i have no idea how to link. Will the levee breach at Birds point have an affect? Well the Blast that caused the breach? Any clue on what effects the stuff dumped will have on the flooded farm land? Sorry for all the questions but i have been following the other thread and hadnt noticed anything about this. I know America is huge but so much in such a small space of time, Really?

Those are some really good questions thanks for asking.

I cannot really answer all of them or anything, but we are intelligent people so let's speculate based on what we do know and what seems reasonable.

I assume that the radioactive tritium dumped into the Mississippi River will wash downstream into the Gulf of Mexico, and since this incident happened several days ago, it would be fair to assume that it may already be reaching the Gulf at this point in time.

This will effect the wildlife; fish, birds, plants, everything. To what extent we do not know yet, because we do not know the statistics on the volume or concentration of the tritium pollution. With accurate numbers we could create half-way accurate projections, so again the US GOV is withholding important information and the MSM is ignoring it 100%.

Of course, this incident is a joke compared to Fukushima, but this is in our own backyard here in the USA and any radioactive contamination can create massive long-term problems for humans. This accident will affect us in negative ways and already is for those in the affected area almost certainly.

Sure no one will notice on the surface, because cancerous cells take months or years to divide and grow into a large enough tumor to become spotted and diagnosed and then treated.

So this is really an invisible killer that works over long periods of time. That is why it is so dangerous and difficult to handle.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy
Actually, I think there was some mention of it in one of the flood threads a couple of days ago, and it briefly showed up on the RSOE website.

Gone now though.

That is really sad honestly.

This deserves it's own thread and it deserve a ton of attention.

Personally I would choose to have 1000 floods over 1 nuclear pollution accident.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Personally I would choose to have 1000 floods over 1 nuclear pollution accident.

I agree, this stuff is nasty. And you can't just neatly sweep it up, burn it, or "corex-it"

I can't stand nuclear, even when i learned about it as a little kid, as long as i can remember i always thought this stuff is bad news. There's just too much toxic crap to deal with, even without these accidents.

Bad stuff man.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

That is why I am afraid stories like the one I posted just an hour ago will become a dime a dozen.

The issue you point out here is critical to the survival of the human race, and consequently the survival of the plants and animals on this planet of which we humans are suppose to be Caretakers over!

We need to phase out the nuclear technology, and we need to focus our civilization on a 100-year clean up plan of some type, where all nations devote themselves to attempting to clean some of this crap up, isolate it, contain it, whatever can be done.

I am freaking out because this needed to be done yesterday, not tomorrow. Time is ticking and zero hour is inching ever closer.

Here is a good metaphor for the situation.
Would you allow a 4yr old child to handle a loaded gun for fun? No?
Than why would anyone accept Human Kind (babies of the universe essentially) to handle nuclear materials?

It just doesn't make any sense. We humans are not responsible nor do we exercise even the most basic of foresight into our own potential future failures.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

About time someone noticed. There was an incident in Ohio a couple of weeks ago as well. Looks like QRE. These reactors don't need stress tests, they need to be tested for thermal integrity. I have a feeling we may be entering a much more disturbing phase of this mess.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Related

May 4, 7:09 PM EDT

Barbour: Evacuate flood zone, but no state aid

By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS
Associated Press

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MS_MISSISSIPPI_FLOODING_BARBOUR_AROL-?SITE=ARBLY&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

(...)

"Evacuation is far, far superior to rescue," Barbour said.

Engineers say the Mississippi River levees are expected to hold in his state, but floodwaters will go over the top of the Yazoo backwater levees.

Barbour said the Grand Gulf nuclear power plant in Claiborne County won't flood, but roads leading to the plant might go under water. The plant is about 25 miles south of Vicksburg.

The governor said as many as 1,400 square-miles of crop lands could flood statewide, and losses could exceed $100 million.

He said the Mississippi River at Vicksburg is likely to be higher than it was during the flood of 1927. Levees failed near Greenville in 1927, inundating the Delta but sparing Vicksburg what could've been a much larger catastrophe.

edit on 7-5-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaExray

About time someone noticed. There was an incident in Ohio a couple of weeks ago as well. Looks like QRE. These reactors don't need stress tests, they need to be tested for thermal integrity. I have a feeling we may be entering a much more disturbing phase of this mess.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ohio incident. I will try to find some information about it. I never heard about it until your post so thank you so very much.

I am going to go research that here in a minute, I'll post whatever I find here as well since I don't like starting a bunch of threads in the same day. But, if you want to post it when you find some links for it, be my guest and please come link the thread in here for us because I will come read it, post in it, and flag it.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for reporting it, I never heard anything about this incident. You would think it would make national news, at least it should IMO.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

thanks for taking the time to answer

Just did some reading at
www.physics.isu.edu...
which explains about how Tritium is spread

"HTO is in the form of water, so one to two hours after an uptake, it will be evenly distributed through out the body's fluids. The amount of time it takes for half of the activity to be physically removed form the body is the biological half life. The biological half life of tritium varies significantly because of variations in bodily excretion rates, temperature dependence and fluid intake. Biological half-life of tritium is about 9.4 days, often rounded to 10 days. This can be shortened to 2-3 days (Fig 1) with ten fold increase of liquid intake (2 liters to 20 liters), or in serve cases to 4-8 hours by using dialysis machines."

(hopefully i did that right.)

So for most people wading through flood water right now it doesnt look to good. I would prefer that i was told to stay away from the water personally. maybe stick to drinking bottled water. I dont know. The half life doesnt seem that long though but i wonder who checks the effects of a half life if its continually building up day after day after day?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by elcapitano75

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I agree, this stuff is nasty. And you can't just neatly sweep it up, burn it, or "corex-it"

I can't stand nuclear, even when i learned about it as a little kid, as long as i can remember i always thought this stuff is bad news. There's just too much toxic crap to deal with, even without these accidents.

Bad stuff man.

I know how you feel I really do, because I feel the exact same elcapitano.

That's why floods, earthquakes, oil spills, etc are at least "surmountable" although it may be tragic and a life and death struggle...but eventually things can be cleaned up, fixed, lessons learnt, etc.

But this nuclear pollution ?? This is like climbing Mt Everest naked with your arms and legs amputated while pulling a 100ton brick uphill....It's not impossible but it's about as close to impossible as we are gonna get.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Thank you for the AP article you linked. It's very relevant.

According to their estimates, the Grand Gulf NPP will be affected by the floods, at least the outskirts of the facility.

It's like everything that can go wrong, will and does.

What are they going to do to get emergency workers etc out to the facility to do tests and take any corrective actions needed? By Boat? Helicopter?

This is a real mess...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This is outrageous! Thank you so much for getting this out there. It is just another example of how little we know about what is going on around us, thanks to cover-ups and deceit.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
thanks for telling us! Just posted it on my group page on FB! got a flag and a star!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join