It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Asteroid Heading Close To Earth!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
As though news of comet Elenin wasn't bad enough, there's a giant asteroid named YU55 weighing 55 million tonnes that experts predict will graze Earth later this year in November!

The Telegraph

The rock, which is quarter of a mile across and weighing 55 million tonnes, will pass between our planet and the moon in November and will be visible with small telescopes.

Robin Scagell of the Society for Popular Astronomy said: “It’s rare we get the chance to see an asteroid up close.”

If it were to hit the earth, the asteroid, named YU55, would have an impact equivalent to 65,000 atom bombs and would leave a crater more than six miles wide and 2,000ft deep.

A slight change in its course and this is what could happen....

But thank Heaven it's going to miss Earth by just 201,000 miles (Well, that's as per the calculations). This asteroid will be the largest object ever to approach the Earth so close. But....

And that's not all! If this one's dangerous, there's another one heading our way in 2014.

A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors. Asteroid "2003 QQ47" will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government's Near Earth Object Information Centre told BBC radio.

Snooker anyone?

www.telegraph.co.uk...
articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com...
www.cnn.com...

edit on 12-3-2014 by Gemwolf because: Fixed video embed

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
We have thread for same asteroid, 2005 YU55 ..xD
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-5-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Is something causing these to come this way? Perhaps an object with huge mass and these are being drawn in?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Aw shucks! Tried search and couldn't find it!
Thanks!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by moogins

Is something causing these to come this way? Perhaps an object with huge mass and these are being drawn in?

wow... that was quick... already someone suggesting nibiru/planet x/nemises might be causing this..
and as usual nothing to base it on..

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Its not exactly close.....201,000 miles, thats almost as far away as the moon. I predict nothing will happen with this rock.

I just typed YU55 into the search bar....it worked for me no problem

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by moogins

wow... that was quick... already someone suggesting nibiru/planet x/nemises might be causing this..
and as usual nothing to base it on..

I never said any of those, I just said an object of large mass. Could be another asteroid, could be something bumping them out of a belt? I never said planet.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
1. EVENT: Leonid Meteor Shower
November 11 and 12, 2011
North Taurids
This shower is long-lasting (October 12 – December 2) but modest, and the peak number is forecast at about 7 meteors per hour. Typically, you see the maximum numbers at around midnight to 1 a.m., when Taurus the Bull moves nearly overhead. This year, the bright waning gibbous moon shines right in front of the constellation Taurus, making 2011 an unfavorable year for watching these rather slow-moving but sometimes bright North Taurid meteors. The greatest numbers of North Taurid meteors come at late night and after midnight on the nights of November 11 and 12, but you might want to write off this year’s North Taurids because of the strong moonlit glare.
Soure..
earthsky.org...

2. EVENT
November, 09-12, 2011
We entering Elenin orbit, so by more shower of rocks end dust ...
www.2shared.com...

3. EVENT
November, 08-09, 2011
Asteroid 2005 YU55 past close to Earth, 0.0022 AU ..
The Largest Asteroid to Ever Pass Close to Earth ...
www.2shared.com...

4 EVENT
One more BIG event for 11.11.2011
Yogi Bhajan says
“We are entering the Age of Aquarius on November 11, 2011. It will be a new time. The entire psyche is changing. You must purify the mind, body and soul to be real, innocent, and sattvic (pure). Elevate yourself to be angelic. This age which you will serve is an age of awareness and experience.” He also said, “I did not come here to create students, but teachers.” Yet another great sage who has left us within the last 7 years.
pantrinitydas.wordpress.com...

So is most interesting date ..

Peace

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
We should stop spending resources on developing weapons to kill each other, and instead use the funds to create weapons to destroy any gigantic comets that could potentially kill all of us.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

You do realize I hope, that the youtube video you put up would NOT happen if this asteriod hit us? It is nowhere near that size. Way to fearmonger though!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Only 17% of the 20 people I asked at work the other day knew what Comet Elenin was. 0% knew about the comet 2005 YU55..... I came to a rough conclusion that if the MSM isn't covering the event or story, 80% of the worlds population will never know about it.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If they are telling us, there will be no problem

it's when they don't tell us we must worry

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Researched this a while ago and here are the three near earth objects that are worrying me:

August 19th 2011, Comet 45P (Honda Mrkos-Pajdusakova), Earth Distance-0.0781AU, 1.6km.
October 16th 2011, Comet Elenin, Earth Distance-0.23AU, no size given as yet.
October 26th 2001, (1993 VD), Earth Distance-0.091AU, no size given as yet.

Anyone got any other Near Earth Objects (NEO) to list?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

List of Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHA):

www.minorplanetcenter.org...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
NEO Program

There are quite a few hazardous items out there.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheyWontBelieveU

Only 17% of the 20 people I asked at work the other day knew what Comet Elenin was. 0% knew about the comet 2005 YU55..... I came to a rough conclusion that if the MSM isn't covering the event or story, 80% of the worlds population will never know about it.

I find this very interesting. I have tried this same experiment using topics that anyone on ATS would be aware of. And I have come up with similar percentages.

I think sometimes ATSers get the idea if we all know about a given topic, and keep up with it, then it must be common knowledge to the masses. But as it turns out, this frequently is not true.

The average joe pays little attention to the topics we regularly discuss here. So our perception gets skewed a little. Point being, few people would know if one of these things was actually going to cause some problems even if TPTB put the info out there casually or non chalantly. Especially if they soft soap it.

They have to know average joe isn't going to do any of his own calculations. And they also know no one would listen to him if he did.

I'm not saying any of these are going to cause any problems at all. But the hypothetical is valid I think.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

So what difference does it make for Joe to feed his family or buy gasoline to get to the store?

People where I work didn't even know what a Supermoon is. They don't know the sun is nuclear reactions, they do know they have 20 bucks till payday though.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by Klassified

So what difference does it make for Joe to feed his family or buy gasoline to get to the store?

People where I work didn't even know what a Supermoon is. They don't know the sun is nuclear reactions, they do know they have 20 bucks till payday though.

Well said. And how true. S&

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
March 21 2014 is close guys! See below info that I quoted from the OP's first post:

"A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors. Asteroid "2003 QQ47" will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government's Near Earth Object Information Centre told BBC radio."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______

Me:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Menedes567
March 21 2014 is close guys! See below info that I quoted from the OP's first post:

"A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors. Asteroid "2003 QQ47" will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government's Near Earth Object Information Centre told BBC radio."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______

Me:

Very old news, rendered obsolete.

By 31 August 2003 (with an observation arc of 7 days) the odds of an impact on 21 March 2014 were already reduced to 1 in 1.7 million. 2003 QQ47 was removed from the Sentry Risk Table on 14 September 2003 so there is no risk of an impact by it in the next 100 years.

It is known that 2003 QQ47 will safely pass 0.1283 AU (19,190,000 km; 11,930,000 mi) from Earth on March 26, 2014. With an observation arc of 10 years and an orbital uncertainty of 0, its orbit and future close approaches are well determined.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join