It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists cross pigs with spinach

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
They lie for one...That wasn't the first time in the world that a plant cell was fully functioning in an animalwww.dailymail.co.uk...

And with oversight and humane regulations, I support bio-engineering as well....l mean, just think of the advancements in knowledge.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

i wnat to see the full test results before i get behind this onee but i see few automatic negative effects, try to decrease obresity

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This is ooooooold!
-try this BBC link from a 2002 article!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
While it's true this is not cross-breeding...I'd say it's a hell of a lot more humane to splice in a gene from a plant in an attempt to have a pig, that in of itself is healthier as well as being healthier for us to eat, than it is to force 2 animals to have sex and produce offspring that cannot even reproduce themselves. Or to inbreed pets for hundreds of years to keep them 'pure breeds' to the point where they become highly prone to disorders and diseases.

This isn't genetically forcing a cross-breed of a pig and a plant, nor are they pigs with plant cells. It's taking a single gene found most-commonly in a plant and seeing if it will take hold in a normal pig's DNA because the gene will change the fat that the pig produces to be a healthier type of fat (but still fat).

Personally I'd be thrilled for this type of bacon when I'm 80yrs old and trying to stave off a fatal heart-attack while all my elder peers are drinking their prune juice and bottle of pills for breakfast.

Oil isn't the only resource on this planet that we are overruning in our demand to consume. Yes there are alternate methods to GM in order to increase our food production, but personally think we should look at using as many of these options as is feasible with GM to complete and increase the production from these efforts as well. Our population isn't going to start going down, nor is it going to level out. It's going to continue to increase exponentially and until we start colonizing other worlds, we gotta try to get the most we can from here.

I'd rather not get into the 'God' card that some are throwing around because it would just get even more ridiculous. If your religious rules state you shouldn't eat pork, then continue not to eat it *shrug*.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2011 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join