It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists cross pigs with spinach

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

Even better example for you.

If it wasn't for science being used in that manner, the majority of us wouldn't even be here to debate it since at some point in our family tree there would be massive holes of missing ancestors.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dashdragon
Another way to look at GM is this...biological evolution is slow...very slow. Science is trying to speed up the process for the betterment of all possible. GM is a more direct manner of evolutionary control that humans have been doing collectively ever since we first domesticated plants and animals.

Bingo
in this case, we can all agree it was only a matter of time before a pig decided to make it with a spinach leaf...this is just a nudge down that road

Sorry, just felt that needed to be said. heh

anyhow...back on topic (friday...feeling froggy)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Everybody needs to avoid GMO like the plague, I do and have not problem doing. The lack of regulations toward monspanto and the cloning is outrageous, but this same clowns will do anything to bring the religious card when is for the good of the people like curing diseases.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

So do you not eat grapefruit either?

The grapefruit (Citrus × paradisi), is a subtropical citrus tree known for its sour fruit, an 18th-century hybrid first bred in Barbados.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

Actually when it comes to citrus the acidity makes it impossible for me to digest, in other words I can not eat either grapefruit or oranges, lemons you name it without becoming sick.

BTW I from the tropics and this was a big problem when I was a child.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Well that was just an example, but the point is that practically everything we interact with has been modified to better suit the human need. At this point it's all a matter of how much and how directly it was modified.

We've effectively modified the entire biosphere of the planet with only few remote places remaining that are relatively untouched. Introduction of animals to non-native habitats, cross breeding of any animal or plant that was capable of doing so but did not naturally, etc. Unfortunately GM is the next logical step so it's something to become accustomed to. The majority of the research in this field is to make more and healthier food for everyone because, as was stated earlier, we won't survive without it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

My friend when it comes to mospanto (safety is the last thing in their minds) let say (profits comes to mind, they help with people dying of side effects after it takes more than one generation to see the results of what they are doing to nature and human lives.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well, at least 90% of Americans will now get a serving of vegetables daily...

Sad that out of all the top topics, this was the only one that peaked my interest. Yes, I'm saying ATS is complete bs and disinfo. Get out of the artificial mind matrix. This reality is soon coming to an end.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
reply to post by SaturnFX

Genetically mutating anything is trying to cheat nature IMO.

Why? Mutations are the reason we are here. WIthout mutations we'd never progress.

DNA is just a code, which we are learning to read and write with. Its pretty awesome really. In my genetics class, I felt bad for my Prof, as she basically was dealing with a bunch of students that had formed opinions on the topics already, even though they had never taken a genetics class before or even really done any hard research into the subject. Everyone is saying, 'this' is bad, but Why is it bad? There are some facets of genetic manipulation that could potentially get out of control, especially with modified plants, but innately evil? I just don't see it. I guess I'm asking what is the real problem with playing with DNA? In plants, I understand that there are contamination issues. But in general, I guess I don't find it very scary. Well, no more than most things!

There seems to be this belief that humans are somehow outside of nature. But we are not this supernatural group of beings that are screwing around with the natural world. We ARE the natural world. This is nature screwing with nature... it happens everyday.And I personally think we rock because of our ability to explore our reality in such a way! I guess I believe that sometimes we all might take the "O-no, Everything is horrible in today's world" kind of far, when really a lot of these advances that we are making are not so terrifying.

I'd be interested in hearing what it is in particular that frightens everyone. (I mean I'd be interested in hearing what specifically is the problem, like what kind of evidence suggests that the experiment the OP brought up is a bad idea...., and not just opinion.) Perhaps I'm missing something that makes it more extreme than it sounds.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You somehow think humans are the "fittest". I never said that. Sure we've discovered ways to kill ourselves a hundred times over. Does that make on the fittest? LOL. We will become extinct at some point. Crying about "natural selection" will not change that fact. Everything is evolving or dying off. Nature has a way of humbling even the most holier than thou beasts.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I remember hearing an announcement that they were genetically engineering tomatoes with fish. According to this article I found it was the first attempt to do so, but didn't make it very far. Although it would seem they are back at trying to sell these GM foods to the public again.

www.pbs.org...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Or…I dunno…plant more fields and stop using food products for fuel.

Just an idea.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
reply to post by Crunkman919

Ok, so if you ever have children and they contract one of the many fatal diseases curable by modern medicine, I'm assuming you'd let nature "balance things out"?

Not at all, I'd take advantage of the best medical care available to care for my offspring. I'm just saying that nature has its way of equalizing things in the animal world, and it works. We just overcame that boundary, and thus we have problems that arise as a result of overpopulation. I'm not suggesting we give up modern science to go back to how nature intended, I'm just making an observation.

Take a look at animals in nature. When they get injured, they get eaten, when disease spreads, a local population dies. It is literally survival of the fittest. Injured animals also help the population because usually when one is injured or sick it isolates itself from the rest of the group. What do humans do? They herd together, thus increasing the chance of spreading disease.

What happens when a company puts thousands of chickens in a barn together? Disease spreads. To counteract the disease, they are injected with hormones and antibiotics. Man vs Nature man wins.

Nature has had a way of balancing things for eons, keeping a perfect balance on Earth. With the rise of man, that balance was upset. We conquered nature, at least in terms of health and longevity through medical science (Fukushima = win for nature). Humans were never meant to reproduce at the rate that we are currently reproducing.

I'm not trying to make any immoral claims like you may have implied. I simply made an objective observation.

edit on 6-5-2011 by Crunkman919 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Since the OP didn't post a link to the source article, I thought I'd provide one. I found it in the BBC online news; article dated Jan 24 2002. Over nine years ago...so far the Spin-pig hasn't taken over the world.

Source

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dashdragon

So do you not eat grapefruit either?

The grapefruit (Citrus × paradisi), is a subtropical citrus tree known for its sour fruit, an 18th-century hybrid first bred in Barbados.

You are confusing Cross-Breeding done by farmers and gardeners for years

with

Genetic Modification, which manipulates un-natural combinations of genes,
that would be un-viable and impossible in nature.

2 very different things, which a lot of the public don't realise.

And this manipulation of Genetics does not affect practicing Jewish and Islamics as they follow God's instruction not to eat pork.

A true Christian should only need one reason why not to eat this type of food because God prohibited it.
(Afterall, they say the bible is the literal word of god, but choose to ignore him an follow their stomach???)

"And the swine, because it divides the hoof, yet does not chew the cud, it is unclean unto you: you shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase." - Leviticus 11:7, 8; Deuteronomy 14:8

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

If we intend on feeding 7 billion + people it's going to take some genetic modification.

No it's not, not even!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Well, technically I wouldn't call these pigs anymore.

They are a new species. A disgusting species at that. Spinach in my bacon?

Go back to Loony Land you mad scientists!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
Is it just me or are scientists finally losing their ethics. I've been posting a lot of article on ATS on the side affects that GMO food causes. Yet, people are not paying much attention to GMO food. GMO food has only proven themselves to be bad to human health. Yet, I remember reading on another news site how a poster on GMO COMMENT say that GMO is safe because her sister work in the field. Have people been totally social condition into believing in GMO. I hate to say it but, they are already promoting genetic engineering babies.
Dammit, these scientist are so reckless and stupid, they need to slow down, because the FDA does not have the people's interest at heart. I accept some GMO only if they don't go to far into the realm of stupid.

The GM pigs produced less fat than normal
Scientists in Japan say they have successfully implanted vegetable genes in a living animal for the first time.

Researchers at Kinki University near Osaka inserted genetic material from spinach into a pig, which they say will produce healthier pork.

I hope safety tests will be conducted to make people feel like eating (the GM pork) for the sake of their health

Akira Iritani, research leader
The experiment, which began several years ago, has yielded two generations of pigs with the spinach gene known as FAD2.

Research team leader Akira Iritani said the pigs with the spinach gene had produced less fat than normal.

"It is confirmed for the first time in the world that a plant gene is functioning properly in a living mammal, not in a cultured cell," said Professor Iritani.

Safety issues

The experiment involved inserting the spinach gene into a fertilised pig egg, which was then implanted in a female pig's womb to produce genetically modified piglets.

Spinach
The experiment involved inserting the spinach gene into a fertilised pig egg
The FAD2 gene was found to convert about a fifth of the piglets' saturated fatty acids into healthier linoleic acids.

Professor Iritani said he hoped to prove the genetically modified pork was safe to eat.

"I know genetically modified food has met poor public acceptance, but I hope safety tests will be conducted to make people feel like eating [the GM pork] for the sake of their health," he said.

Professor Iritani said only about 1% of GM piglets survived after being born, although breeding among GM pigs would ensure the spinach gene was passed on.

My friend...science has been without ethics for more years than should be even counted. If it wasn't so pitiful...it might be funny. I mean...pigs and spinach...is this a last ditch attempt to confuse the vegans? This is a waste of time...might as well be an episode on the cartoon called "Spliced".

Money wasted on such combinations, yet there are NO cures for CANCER and other diseases that need taken care of.
With everyone of these totally ridiculous GM concoctions....it makes me want to puke.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Correct this is not cross-breeding.

You cannot breed Spinach and Swine.

Well....if it IS possible, I sort of don't want to know how. If you know what I mean?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

If we intend on feeding 7 billion + people it's going to take some genetic modification.

Are you are aware of the federal agriculture program that is paying land owners to technically not farm on their land?

Farm Program Pays $1.3 Billion to People Who Don't Farm

edit on 7-5-2011 by SimpleKnowledge because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join