It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists cross pigs with spinach

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
scientist you are not god.

Wanted to address that also.

God sucks in regards to building stuff to last.
Scientists have advanced medicine so that people don't die over things like cholera, tetanus, etc...

Gods designs are flawed...total design nightmare for all life as everything suffers needlessly and dies...however, one thing god did do well was the creation of the human brain so we can improve on this slapped together world.

Think of it this way too, all God talk aside.

Diseases like those that you mentioned may be natures way of keeping the population balanced so that humanity would survive while not affecting the Earth in any adverse way. Traditionally, whenever population density increased, so did the disease rate. Whenever people group together too densely, diseases occur. It's nature's natural reaction, and I think limiting factor when it comes to the human population.

All our medical technology has done is that it has allowed humanity to overstep the natural population restraints, the result being overpopulation, which in turn causes territorial disputes, fights over resources, and some of the other problems we have today.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Crossing pigs with spinach? Would that be Pinach? Or Spork?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think people are confusing this GM creation with Monsato GM frankenfoods...

The only similaritys between the two are the general "GM" title...after that, it stops. a kite and a missile both fly in the air, but they are not the same...so lets not toss out all air based concepts and technology out because one aspect is being disasterous.

I am not a fan of current Monsato methods in our food supply..however, I think there is little we can do about it at this point...even if there was a worldwide ban on it, it wouldn't go away...birds are carrying seeds off and dropping all over the world to grow wildly and overtake natural crops.

it simply is now..we can curse the flood as something that shouldn't have happened, or we can concentrate on the reality of being under water and get on a boat...but screaming at the water will accomplish little.

But thats a different subject entirely...again, different process, different methods, different everything in the pignish, or cowicken

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tippys Dad

Spork is already taken...perhaps spinork

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Just keep your kids off the Cannabis bacon.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I guess most of these people posting anti-science want to stay where they are forever. Or live the Amish lifestyle. We are getting closer and closer to finally disproving religion. The real enemy is religious moral and anit scientific prejudice. Religion on this planet has always been the foundation for war and blood shed. Science has only lent a helping hand to improving our way of life!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tippys Dad

Can't use the second name. Scientists already invented a cross breed by that title

I give you the spork:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
OP, links please?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crunkman919

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
scientist you are not god.

Wanted to address that also.

God sucks in regards to building stuff to last.
Scientists have advanced medicine so that people don't die over things like cholera, tetanus, etc...

Gods designs are flawed...total design nightmare for all life as everything suffers needlessly and dies...however, one thing god did do well was the creation of the human brain so we can improve on this slapped together world.

Think of it this way too, all God talk aside.

Diseases like those that you mentioned may be natures way of keeping the population balanced so that humanity would survive while not affecting the Earth in any adverse way. Traditionally, whenever population density increased, so did the disease rate. Whenever people group together too densely, diseases occur. It's nature's natural reaction, and I think limiting factor when it comes to the human population.

All our medical technology has done is that it has allowed humanity to overstep the natural population restraints, the result being overpopulation, which in turn causes territorial disputes, fights over resources, and some of the other problems we have today.

Yes, and I do believe in God.
Actually, let me rephrase that before people start thinking of religion
I believe in a order and overall progression.

Yes, I think nature has measures to keep things balanced...and when something makes things unbalanced, measures are taken.

We are at an age now where this natural force (humanity) is prepared to grow...and like a plant shooting off spores, so shall we

We will run into a massive overcrowding of the planet and the tech, as shown in every challenging moment in our species, will develop the tech required to counter it...its natural

the tech in this case will be space colonization. I fully believe this as the outcome of pushing longevity as I see humans equal to any other type of life...it is natural, but first we had to eliminate the old population control methods.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Survival of the fittest. Genetically mutating anything is trying to cheat nature IMO. Just like trying to control the weather, trying to control the Ole Miss by levees then blowing up the same levees to try a different route. Saving species that were meant to die off like the greenies always try and do. They never think that maybe these species are dying off for a reason. Would man even be around if dino's never got wiped out?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans

Survival of the fittest. Genetically mutating anything is trying to cheat nature IMO. Just like trying to control the weather, trying to control the Ole Miss by levees then blowing up the same levees to try a different route. Saving species that were meant to die off like the greenies always try and do. They never think that maybe these species are dying off for a reason. Would man even be around if dino's never got wiped out?

Survival of the fittest...sure
however, what makes a human more fit than say, a lion? If we run up to a lion and attack it bare fisted, then who will win?

What makes humans top of the food chain? is it our sweet retractable claws? our poisonous vicious bite?

No..its our brain...our ability to outthink nature. Its arguably cheating death the day we picked up a rock or stick to ward off stronger and nastier creatures than us...so the argument that we shouldn't do some new cutting age tech because its unnatural flys out the window into the bin of hypocratic irony.

Control weather? We have umbrellas and waterproof clothes..we do it locally..we also live in unnatural homes to protect us from weather (with -air conditioning- at that...omg)

Aquaducts have been around since ancient times

I could go on and on...but basically just stating that what seperates us from monkeys is doing the "unnatural"...in modifying our environment and even ourselves.

You simply cannot sit on the internet and decry human progression without appearing to be one hell of a hypocrite...if you truely felt that way, you would be at this very moment sitting naked in a cave crawling around and eating dead and rotting animals and fruit...anything beyond that shows you fully accept our natural ability to modify things to enhance our lives.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tetsuoatx

I'm not sure if you directed this at me but I am all for this type of research and much, much, more controversial ones!

I am a big fan of genetic chimeras and cross speciesization.
And yes, I know the risks to this type of science, but so did Oppenheimer when he built the atomic bomb.
But there was just cause for that, yea right!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Well spoken indeed my friend!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Gonna be tough if you require a organ down the road I guess...live with a GM organ and feel like a hypocrite, or die on principle.

Yeah, let's see how well the body accepts a genetically modified organ. Sure, that's smart.

Actually...the whole point of the modification in that instance would be to ensure that your body DOES accept it and to eliminate the potential crap-shoot that the body's rejection systems try to play with transplanted organs.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What happens when they cross Crabs and Spotted Dick?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What happens when they cross Crabs and Spotted Dick?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If they do this with a chicken we can finally eat green eggs and ham.

If you fed the pig some spinach, would that make it a cannibal?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Star for you...right on the money

We are the finest examples of survival of the fittest...and we are becoming even more fit all the time. Yes, we make mistakes and we have hurt our environment, but at the same time we are able to identify it and work to correct it.

Technology and science are all part of our evolution. Nature can do some wonderful things, but it can't do everything.

Another way to look at GM is this...biological evolution is slow...very slow. Science is trying to speed up the process for the betterment of all possible. GM is a more direct manner of evolutionary control that humans have been doing collectively ever since we first domesticated plants and animals. Love your pretty flowers? Love your dog/cat? They've all been subjected to selective cross-breeding for countless generations. There are even fruits and vegetables that exist now only because of humans cross-breeding to create them. The whole world has long since been modified. Now is not the time to object just because science has decided to try and make the system more precise.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
They should have crossed pigs with turnip greens. People have been eating those together since Colonial days.

Or how about crossing pigs with a maple tree so you get maple flavored ham?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Crunkman919

Ok, so if you ever have children and they contract one of the many fatal diseases curable by modern medicine, I'm assuming you'd let nature "balance things out"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join