It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists cross pigs with spinach

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Is it just me or are scientists finally losing their ethics. I've been posting a lot of article on ATS on the side affects that GMO food causes. Yet, people are not paying much attention to GMO food. GMO food has only proven themselves to be bad to human health. Yet, I remember reading on another news site how a poster on GMO COMMENT say that GMO is safe because her sister work in the field. Have people been totally social condition into believing in GMO. I hate to say it but, they are already promoting genetic engineering babies.
Dammit, these scientist are so reckless and stupid, they need to slow down, because the FDA does not have the people's interest at heart. I accept some GMO only if they don't go to far into the realm of stupid.

The GM pigs produced less fat than normal
Scientists in Japan say they have successfully implanted vegetable genes in a living animal for the first time.

Researchers at Kinki University near Osaka inserted genetic material from spinach into a pig, which they say will produce healthier pork.

I hope safety tests will be conducted to make people feel like eating (the GM pork) for the sake of their health

Akira Iritani, research leader
The experiment, which began several years ago, has yielded two generations of pigs with the spinach gene known as FAD2.

Research team leader Akira Iritani said the pigs with the spinach gene had produced less fat than normal.

"It is confirmed for the first time in the world that a plant gene is functioning properly in a living mammal, not in a cultured cell," said Professor Iritani.

Safety issues

The experiment involved inserting the spinach gene into a fertilised pig egg, which was then implanted in a female pig's womb to produce genetically modified piglets.

Spinach
The experiment involved inserting the spinach gene into a fertilised pig egg
The FAD2 gene was found to convert about a fifth of the piglets' saturated fatty acids into healthier linoleic acids.

Professor Iritani said he hoped to prove the genetically modified pork was safe to eat.

"I know genetically modified food has met poor public acceptance, but I hope safety tests will be conducted to make people feel like eating [the GM pork] for the sake of their health," he said.

Professor Iritani said only about 1% of GM piglets survived after being born, although breeding among GM pigs would ensure the spinach gene was passed on.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/37d55eea2620.gif[/atsimg]

I'm Pigeye the Swiner Man,
I'm Pigeye the Swiner Man.
I'm strong to the finich
Cause I'm made of spinach.
I'm Pigeye the Swiner Man.
edit on 5/6/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I can't believe what I just read, that was unsettling.....

Normally I'm not a confused type but I don't know what I just read. Is this real life ?
edit on 6-5-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Why do that?
Atleast combine 2 things that compliment each other.
Pig with beer.
Pig and Chicken, wonderful tasting hot wings.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I fully support the concept behind this. Absolutely fascinating and has my mind buzzing.

Imagine creating some hybrid pigplant that is actually healthy to eat, and tastes like bacon
-dreams-

or a vitimen rich steak, etc...

Actually, imagine the other side...GM plants that taste exactly like meat, but is just a plant, with all the benefits of eating a salad.

this could change the entire eating habits and health of the world...meatplants!!!

Go Science!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Why do that?
Atleast combine 2 things that compliment each other.
Pig with beer.
Pig and Chicken, wonderful tasting hot wings.

how about they cross a cow with a potato...burger and fries all in one.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I fully support the concept behind this. Absolutely fascinating and has my mind buzzing.

Imagine creating some hybrid pigplant that is actually healthy to eat, and tastes like bacon
-dreams-

or a vitimen rich steak, etc...

Actually, imagine the other side...GM plants that taste exactly like meat, but is just a plant, with all the benefits of eating a salad.

this could change the entire eating habits and health of the world...meatplants!!!

Go Science!

Go nature, scientist you are not god. Science can be full of genocidal scientist.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

now if we could only cross PIGS with Eggs and pancakes...!!

a little syrup....... !!!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
I accept some GMO only if they don't go to far into the realm of stupid.

So what is that point of acceptance for you? Only use the list of genes you approve of?

If we intend on feeding 7 billion + people it's going to take some genetic modification.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I for one believe in genetic testing. And, as a matter of fact if we weren't with held from stem cell and genetic testing before our scientific community would be a lot more advanced then we are current. Just like experimental medicine if your afraid of the side effects then don't use it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
I can't believe what I just read, that was unsettling.....

Normally I'm not a confused type but I don't know what I just read. Is this real life ?
edit on 6-5-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

I would think so, this is sort of the whole goal behind Genetic engineering...to create new and beneficial food sources.
With every need of civilization, technology typically followed shortly after to counter the need.

concentrated living gave us agriculture
Population explosion gave us manufacturing and genetic modification of foods for greater crop yield
now people are becoming fat and unhealthy...bring forth healthy foods tasting like yummy garbage food we eat

the concept may be a but unusual, but the progression requires it...no, we won't change our ways, we will invent to nullify any negative effects of our desires as usual.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

If we intend on feeding 7 billion + people it's going to take some genetic modification.

Says you!

I see no good reason to support genetic modification.

We could set up aquaponics the world round, and not have to use GM crops. It's a farce that they're needed.

This is just pure hubris. We're opening up pandora's box.

Mindless idiocy, in my assessment.

link   

they have clearly overstepped the mark now, crossing animal and vegetable seems a little to much like playing god to be ethical

s&f

im pretty new here so i dont know how to imbed stuff but i think the OP would be interested in this telegraph article i was reading

www.telegraph.co.uk...

link   

Go nature, scientist you are not god. Science can be full of genocidal scientist.

Nature kills

Nothing like slamming science online for maximum irony

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Says you!

Gonna be tough if you require a organ down the road I guess...live with a GM organ and feel like a hypocrite, or die on principle.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Says you!

We could set up aquaponics the world round, and not have to use GM crops.

Fair enough. Rather, I should have said, to feed 7 billion + people we'll need to do something beyond letting nature exclusively take care of it...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Gonna be tough if you require a organ down the road I guess...live with a GM organ and feel like a hypocrite, or die on principle.

Yeah, let's see how well the body accepts a genetically modified organ. Sure, that's smart.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

now if we could only cross PIGS with Eggs and pancakes...!!

a little syrup....... !!!

I find it ironic that your avatar is a piglet. lol

GMO version of "this little piggy"
-This little piggy went to the market
-This little piggy was cloned
-This little piggy was part beef
-And this little piggy went "cluck cluck cluck" all the way home.

Eat up folks!!!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

scientist you are not god.

Wanted to address that also.

God sucks in regards to building stuff to last.
Scientists have advanced medicine so that people don't die over things like cholera, tetanus, etc...

Gods designs are flawed...total design nightmare for all life as everything suffers needlessly and dies...however, one thing god did do well was the creation of the human brain so we can improve on this slapped together world.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I love Photoshop.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8121b09aa235.jpg[/atsimg]
That's All Folks!!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join