It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper wins majority; Ignatieff, Duceppe lose seats

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
Anything that I have said so far regarding the Conservative party, it's platform and it's dealings in the past within the house of commons is factual...

I'm sure you believe it is. I'm also sure others don't share your belief. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion.

Here is the opinion of someone else. I didn't write this, so please resist the urge to call me names like so many Conservatives do when faced with something they don't like. If you care to read the whole article there are some real facts listed at the end.

“Harper is on a course towards a very authoritarian populist government appealing over the heads of Parliament to the people with an enormous public-relations machine. The appeal is to the less educated and less sophisticated parts of society.”

federalelectionblog.ca...

Here are some links to the telecom deregulation story. Since you felt it was just 'conjecture,' I doubt you tried to find anything on it.

ca.rss.news.yahoo.com...
www.theglobeandmail.com...

edit on 4-5-2011 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

As much as you would like to present the Conservative platform as "facts", a platform is not any real indicator of what a party will actually do. A platform is just a bunch of promises- and the word "promise", in politics, is pretty much anything but a "promise" as defined in a dictionary.

Will Harper keep all of his promises?

I highly doubt it.
No other Canadian Political Party has been able to do it as far as I know.

Will Harper do things that he never promised- let alone talked about or even mentioned?

Most likely.
I would like to hear your opinion of Harper 4 years from now. As much as he may seem pro-Canadian free-market and business... I get the feeling he is more pro-mega-international-corporation.

Until then, I'm sure Harper is happy to have friends like you to defend him and keep other conservatives happy and optimistic about the future.

From Harper, to you Jocko:

edit on 4/5/1111 by Monts because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I'm a very happy man tonight as I know tomorrow after the markets close my stocks will be WAY up because investors will be confident becasue we have a Conservative majority; a government that will finally be able to get some things done.

So much for that theory!

Market plunges despite Conservative majority victory

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Here are some links to the telecom deregulation story. Since you felt it was just 'conjecture,' I doubt you tried to find anything on it.

Please read more carefully next time before making such statements. I stated clearly that I was very interested in reading the telecom story. If it is indeed correct it's a fantastic step forward for consumers and small startup companies. Bell Canada and Rogers and thier already outsourced market share can go bankrupt as far as I am concerned. Bring in the competition, create more jobs, lower the prices for consumers. You have to remember, alot is at stake in this industry as those two companies have had the advantage of 'Canadian protectionism' at the cost of tax payers and the consumer for far to long. I used to work for one of them, I know the inner workings quite well.

The conjecture and doom and gloom statements I spoke of were in regards to all the uneducated and ignorant "oh no canada is doomed!" garbage, not the article or factual links you have come forward with. Thank you for the links and information.

As much as you would like to present the Conservative platform as "facts", a platform is not any real indicator of what a party will actually do. A platform is just a bunch of promises- and the word "promise", in politics, is pretty much anything but a "promise" as defined in a dictionary.

My refrence to the Conservatives platform and the goings on in the Canadian Parliment have all been correct, however you are spot on when it comes to political parties keeping promises though and I agree that they need to be more answerable to the public after being elected. That said, for a working man like myself who has an interest in the stock market and other investments in this country, the Conservative platform in the past has benefited myself and my family the most. I do not like paying high taxes, I do not like supporting those who think my hard earned tax dollars should line thier pockets via free handouts and sinkhole social programs. This country has a lot to offer those who work hard for it like I have.

Until then, I'm sure Harper is happy to have friends like you to defend him and keep other conservatives happy and optimistic about the future.

Absolutely, take a look at those election results my friend, blue everywhere... Fantastic!
Thanks for the video btw, I like that song, although I think Mr. Harper should keep his day job, lol.

Here's one for you:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

So much for that theory!

Make sure you don't post the reasons why it went down in your misleading retort, that would be silly now wouldn't it.

A decisive victory by the Harper Conservatives in Monday’s federal election took a back seat Tuesday to a plunge in stock prices on fears of waning global demand for industrial commodities.

Toronto’s main index tumbled 242.14 points to 13,692.37 as crude oil slumped by 2.2 per cent. The drop followed reports of abundant supply in the U.S. and signs that monetary tightening in China and India have dampened appetites for oil and base metals even more than expected.

If you have any clue at all how the markets actually work you will look at this as just another dip in an upward trending Canadian market. Show me the results 3 months from now and the we will talk. Do you actually have any idea how well our markets are doing when compared to the US market and how close our markets are tied together? It's actually quite amazing and if it wasn't for that half wit of a president down there and his incompetant economic policies, our country would be doing even better.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

So much for that theory!

Make sure you don't post the reasons why it went down in your misleading retort, that would be silly now wouldn't it.

A decisive victory by the Harper Conservatives in Monday’s federal election took a back seat Tuesday to a plunge in stock prices on fears of waning global demand for industrial commodities.

Toronto’s main index tumbled 242.14 points to 13,692.37 as crude oil slumped by 2.2 per cent. The drop followed reports of abundant supply in the U.S. and signs that monetary tightening in China and India have dampened appetites for oil and base metals even more than expected.

If you have any clue at all who the markets actually work you will look at this as just another dip in an upward trending Canadian market. Show me the results 3 months from now and the we will talk. Do you actually have any idea how well our markets are doing when compared to the US market and how close our markets are tied together? It's actually quite amazing and if it wasn't for that half wit of a president down there and his incompetant economic policies, our country would be doing even better.

Don't convolute what I am saying. You made a bold statement about the stock market being poised to go "WAY up". This was simply not true, I was pointing that out. At least in your rebuttal you have worked out how silly your original statement was

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Don't convolute what I am saying. You made a bold statement about the stock market being poised to go "WAY up". This was simply not true, I was pointing that out. At least in your rebuttal you have worked out how silly your original statement was

And if the best you can do is quote my market trend estimate rather than debate me over political party ideologies and thier effect on Canadians lives in general, then I guess you win.
Hats off to ya! On the afternoon of the election the market was poised for a large upward swing, however the article you linked to explains why the market dipped.

Rather than concentrating on market estimates, do you have an opinion about Canada's general economic direction? Are you an investor? What are your expectations going into this next fiscal quarter? I would hazard to guess 50% of the posts in this thread are from high school kids, espeically with handles that end with "420". This is probably why I have yet to see any real solid debate rather than the ominous "Canada is doomed!" garbage. However I still think there are some very intelligent people out there who might have some solid input on the subjects at hand.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I'm not going to respond to your garbage about your opinions on the demographic of the site, and while you feel you are superior, but: AGAIN, I was checking your statement that the market would go "WAY up" as a result of a Harper majority. You have already stated why this is what is misleading: there are many other factors which play a role in such things.

Basically, it is unfair to make such claims that support your opinion when you know well that it is not so simple.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Bring in the competition, create more jobs, lower the prices for consumers.

That is the theory. However, why not make it easier for Canadian companies to break into the market, instead of what the Conservatives want to do which is make it easy for foreign companies to come in and buy up Canadian businesses? No more jobs will be created; in fact jobs will be lost.

The theory is prices will fall with deregulation. However, in reality prices tend to rise. Just look at Ontario when they deregulated hydro. Now I know it's a somewhat different situation, but the reality is deregulation did nothing to help the consumer in this case and I believe the same result will happen with the telecom industry.

The Ontario Electricity Coalition is on the record, many times, warning Ontarians what would happen under the deregulation and privatization of hydro. The real reason for hydro bill shock is the addition of profits to generators, profits to distributors, profits to retailers, dividends to investors, commissions to commodities brokers and smart meter charges. The creation of the Ontario Energy Board, the Ontario Power Authority, the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) and all those monster salaries is also to blame. Smart meters and time of use pricing is just a cover for a massive rate hike and is the means to funnel profits into all these organizations.

www.thestar.com...
cupe.ca...

edit on 4-5-2011 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I'm a very happy man tonight as I know tomorrow after the markets close my stocks will be WAY up because investors will be confident becasue we have a Conservative majority; a government that will finally be able to get some things done.

I wonder of Mr. Jocko Flocko is still very happy as the TSX plunged again for the third day in a row? Pretty clear how much he knows about stock markets. Not much.

My take on it the current TSX downturn is that people are taking money off the table after a period of nice gains. Also, they may be worried that the Conservatives are ready to open the floodgates to foreign takeovers of energy companies.

My point is when people say stocks are going to do this or that depending on who gets elected, it is all just pure fear mongering.
edit on 5-5-2011 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

You'd actually be surprised how much the Liberals backed them, and then Iggy tried to call them out on it... But, hypocrisy is expected from a politician...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canadianpride420

lmao you just voted in the Canadian Bush. Shame on you. A man who has driven this country into debt but gives tax cuts for big corporations. Harper doesn't care about you or me. He only serves the Big corproations and the banksters. You have helped in the raping of our beautiful country.

And you really think the NDP or the Liberals are any different?

No, I didnt vote for Harper.

It's funny to me, though, ow many from a certain demographic like to say things like 'goodbye canada as we know it', but cant seem to really define what that even means.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join