It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper wins majority; Ignatieff, Duceppe lose seats

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Harper wins majority; Ignatieff, Duceppe lose seats

www.ctv.ca

Canadians have handed Prime Minister Stephen Harper his first-ever majority government, in a historic result that also saw the once mighty Liberals decimated and the separatist movement in Quebec all but obliterated.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Well its time for change in canada. Looks like we have the left vs right debate. I think things will be much different now, with the NDP coming in with such high numbers.

Never in history have the NDP come in with such high numbers. The Bloq have lost all ground in Quebec and the NDP have taken all those seats (minus a few for the conservatives).

www.ctv.ca (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
CTV has Jack's speech on now.
Just finished with Elizabeth Mays

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well goodbye Canada as we know it. I'll miss you. I guess this means Harper really has free reign to do whatever he wants now.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dug88

hello north american union
i feel rigged and i voted today for the NDP, i will never vote again.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
National Post

The damage to the Liberals and Bloc was so severe that even leaders Michael Ignatieff and Gilles Duceppe were on track to lose their seats in Ontario and Quebec. Mr. Duceppe, in fact, immediately announced his resignation as leader of the sovereigntist party, declaring in his concession speech: “I am leaving, but others will follow, until Quebec becomes a party.”

With all 308 ridings reporting as of 11:50 p.m. EST, the Tories were leading or had won 165 seats — well past the 154 needed for a majority — and the NDP were leading or had won 104 ridings — nearly tripling the 36 seats it gleaned in 2008. A decimated Liberal Party was on track to win just 35 seats, and the Bloc Quebecois were poised to glean just three.

Green Party leader Elizabeth May was on track to make a historic gain by capturing her party’s first elected seat, set to knock out Tory incumbent Gary Lunn in the B.C. riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands.

It looks to me like the New Democrats nearly tripled their seats in the Canadian Parliament. The Conservatives have however won more than 50% of the seats and are set to become the majority party in government. Bloc Quebecois was absolutely destroyed in this election, leaving only 3 seats in their hands. Liberal Party which had for awhile been the strongest party in Canada only being put into opposition by the Conservatives were wiped out as well, managing to gain only 35 seats.

There is much debate about Canada's sovereignty now being threatened with a Harper majority, the fear of the North American Union being in its final stages to morph Canada into the United States. I find it completely ridiculous and exaggerated, of course I oppose "deep integration" between our two countries but this is not the abolition of either Canadian or American sovereignty.

Seats Before Election:

Conservative - 143
New Democrat - 36
Liberal - 77
Bloc Quebecois - 47
Green - 0

Seats So Far:

Conservative - 165
New Democrat - 104
Liberal - 35
Bloc Quebecois - 3
Green - 1

That represents a change of:

Conservative (+22)
New Democrat (+68)
Liberal (-42)
Bloc Quebecois (-44)
Green (+1)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I voted proudly for Mr Harper as I always have done these last few years. I'm a conservative through and through and am very proud of my fellow Canadians for voting the way they did tonight, the numbers speak for themselves. Election rigging? Get over it buddy, give your head a shake.

I'm a very happy man tonight as I know tomorrow after the markets close my stocks will be WAY up because investors will be confident becasue we have a Conservative majority; a government that will finally be able to get some things done.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

They will get stuff done alright....

What that is though....

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Funny, CTV posted a similar comment before the official announcement. I discovered it at 10:30 pm-ish EST I Posted on ATS here

Canadians have handed Prime Minister Stephen Harper his first-ever majority government, in a historic result that also saw the mighty Liberals decimated and the separatist movement in Quebec all but obliterated ...

Does MSM make a habit of telling election results before ALL the votes have been counted and verified. I do not know one person who voted for the Cons in this election. Don't be quick to judge me, but I think this election was a prefunctionary waste of tax dollars.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Looks like very low percentages of voters actually participated. I am very cynical when it comes to elections, but I'm disappointed in my fellow Canadian--those who did not vote. The NDP tripling their seats shows that there could have been change, but apathy won out...again. Harper is Bush Lite and we have him for four years. I only hope the Opposition does its job and reins Harper in.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
"What that is though.... "

Oh Oh Oh, the boogey man! Oh no! The scary conservatives are big racists didn't you know that? They are like hitler I tell you!!!! lmao.

Perhaps for once Canadians will actually see a free and open market, especially in the telecommunications sector where Canadians are absolutely HAMMERED in the prices they pay for internet and cell phone usages.
edit on 3-5-2011 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

lmao you just voted in the Canadian Bush. Shame on you. A man who has driven this country into debt but gives tax cuts for big corporations. Harper doesn't care about you or me. He only serves the Big corproations and the banksters. You have helped in the raping of our beautiful country.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Election 2011 Live Results

Canada:

CON..... 40% - 166
NDP..... 31% - 103
LIB....... 19% - 34
BQ....... 06% - 4
GRN..... 04% - 1

Alberta:

CON..... 67% - 27
NDP..... 17% - 1

British Columbia:

CON..... 46% - 21
NDP..... 33% - 12
LIB....... 13% - 2
GRN..... 8% - 1

Manitoba:

CON..... 53% - 11
NDP..... 26% - 2
LIB....... 17% - 1

Newfoundland and Labrador:

LIB....... 38% - 4
NDP..... 33% - 2
CON..... 28% - 1

New Brunswick:

CON..... 44% - 8
NDP..... 30% - 1
LIB....... 23% - 1

Northwest Territories:

NDP..... 46% - 1

Nova Scotia:

CON..... 37% - 4
NDP..... 30% - 3
LIB....... 29% - 4

Nunavut:

CON..... 50% - 1

Ontario:

CON..... 44% - 72
NDP..... 26% - 22
LIB....... 25% - 12

Prince Edward Island:

LIB....... 41% - 3
CON..... 41% - 1

Quebec:

NDP..... 43% - 58
BQ....... 23% - 4
CON..... 17% - 6
LIB....... 14% - 7

Saskatchewan:

CON..... 56% - 13
LIB....... 9% - 1

Yukon:

CON..... 34% - 1

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Harper may have won a majority government, but he does not represent the majority of Canadians...

You enjoy corporations receiving billion dollar tax cuts and millions of dollars being wasted creating jails when crime rates are ridiculously low. Do you enjoy having the most secretive government Canada has had to date? Do you enjoy being led by the only Prime Minister in the Commonwealth (ever!) to be found in Contempt of Parliament and he's had it happen twice?

If you voted Conservative, you said yes to all these questions...

Sorry, I realize the whole stupidity of Left wing/Right wing politics... There should be only one party of (federal) government, everything else should be focused on at more local levels of government. The Federal government would focus mainly on Foreign Affairs, and Canada on an International level. Anyways, those are my thoughts. Thanks for voting, and congrats on the victory... Voted Green party myself, shoulda gone NDP but in my riding it wouldn't make a difference... +20,000 for conservatives, I think 4000 was the NDP next lol...
edit on 3-5-2011 by SpreadLoveNotHate because: EVER!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Perhaps for once Canadians will actually see a free and open market, especially in the telecommunications sector where Canadians are absolutely HAMMERED in the prices they pay for internet.

You're kidding right? I'm still waiting for Harper to kick the CRTC's butt about UBB. Still hasn't happened.

I'm still waiting for Harper to get us out of Afghanistan.

I'm still waiting for Harper to get rid of all the gun laws and the gun registry.

I'm still waiting for Harper to get us out of the North American Union deal, the FTA and NAFTA.

I'm still waiting for Harper to find his balls to face the military industrial complex in Canada who wants to make us buy that #ty F-35.

All those things won't happen. Harper is a sell out, you'll find out soon enough.

If Harper was a real conservative, he would get the government out of our lives. But he isn't. He's the Canadian Bush. And now that tard will be in power for the next 4 years. Disgusting.

I wrote in Ron Paul.
I just couldn't bring myself to vote for any of those sellouts.
edit on 3-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

The only person talking about racism is you. Not sure what you were going for there.

Telecommunications is indeed a problem in Canada, but I fail to see how Harper will do anything to change it. How long has he been Prime Minister now? And things have not changed.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
""You're kidding right? I'm still waiting for Harper to kick the CRTC's butt about UBB. Still hasn't happened.

I'm still waiting for Harper to get rid of all the gun laws and the gun registry.

I'm still waiting for Harper to get us out of the North American Union deal, the FTA and NAFTA.

I'm still waiting for Harper to find his balls to face the military industrial complex in Canada who wants to make us buy that #ty F-35.

All those things won't happen. Harper is a sell out, you'll find out soon enough"

And you obviously have ZERO clue how a none majority government works in this country. Please, go read up on 'majority vs none majority governements' before making oneself appear ignorant to the topic at hand. Do I need to explain how the house of commons votes on bills, or will google suffice for you?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
"Telecommunications is indeed a problem in Canada, but I fail to see how Harper will do anything to change it. How long has he been Prime Minister now? And things have not changed"

Wow, another one who doesn't understand the Canadian parlimentary system. When a goverment doesn't hold a majority, the way the Harper goverment hasn't for the last several years, they are UNABLE to pass bills and make laws becasue they lack the VOTES needed for those bills to pass into law... Therefore things like reforming the long gun registry can't be passed into law becasue of the lack of votes... Is that easy enough to understand?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

What do you say about his support of the NAU and his attendance at Bilderberg meetings that we all know are quite secretive and involve some of the shadiest people out there?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

And you obviously have ZERO clue how a none majority government works in this country.

Doesn't matter how it works. Harper and his party pushes those issues.

You're kidding right? I'm still waiting for Harper to kick the CRTC's butt about UBB. Still hasn't happened.

The NPD was against UBB, the Libs too, but apparently the conservatives never got around to kill UBB... even if they had all the others parties with them...

Harper is for it, Libs are for it.

He backed down when he was ``going to do it``.

While he was in office, he pushed for it. Granted the Libs did it too, but he still went for it. He wasn't against it.

And again the conservatives are for this BS.

So don't try this ``he didn't have the power to do things``... because doesn't matter he didn't have the power to do it, he still pushed for all those bad things.

You'll see, now that he has a majority, he'll continue to push the bad things and the good things he said he would fix, he will ``forget`` about it. It'll be Obama 2.0 to all of you clueless conservatives who still buy into the ``there's a difference in parties`` BS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join