It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Federal Elections-Stephen Harper Wins Majority

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Ahhh.. Leo we meet again.. You sir are my Nemesis. =)

I'm just curious how you call people on the left who believe that we should share the wealth with the less fortunate selfish? I'd love to see your logic on that my friend.

Oh and if you want to use statistics to prove your point... You should make sure they are accurate this time okay?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
That was a great election !

Congratualtion Mr Harper, finaly you have the majority. (But it is the last time).
It is gonna be a wild ride for the next 5 years. It will be the Canada Of America

I am happy with the NPD as official oposition. Jack seems a nice guy, the kind of guy you want to have a beer with. Quebecers were sick of the Bloc and his arrogant chief Duceppe.
The remaining option for the lefties Quebecer was the NPD.
New faces, new ideas (good or bad), a lot of inexperiences new elected MP's.
Most of them who got elected in Quebec just got a hell of salary increase.

One of them in Quebec city she is still a university student, she studies arts and Russian culture. (I am serious)

Bye Bye Bloc...... That was about time.
Duceppe will be one of the retired federal MP with the highest federal pension salary.
I would bet that he will be the next president of the Partie Quebecois.

It such a shame for the Liberals.
IMO, their only option is to have Justin Trudeau (Pierre-Elliot Trudeau son's) as president as well as other younger candidates. Justin would make a nice public relation stunt for them. That would draw the youger crowd to vote for them. Enough of the baby boomer as right now they are ruining the world.

Congratulation to the Green Party and Elizabeth May

From Quebec with love.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canadianpride420
DOWN WITH HARPER. Here comes the North American Union

All this Harper is bringing the NAU is BS. I'm not saying that the NAU isn't coming just that the original groundwork was put in place by Paul Martin(Liberal) and George Bush. It didn't matter who won becuase the same would happen with any party execpt, as much as it galls me to say it, the Bloc. Iggy loves the US and Layton doesn't seem like he has enough backbone to say no to the movers behind the NAU.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Conservatives got a majority government. Good for them. Now since they've been showing they don't give a carp about playing ball with a minority, their social agenda as a majority should pretty much annihilate them after this term. This makes him very happy. He voted for them merely on the premise that he expects that their social agenda arrogance with a majority is going to hamstring them. I think there is a very good chance this is so.

My sentiments exactly.

Can't say I agree about Iggy, tho. WHAT 'ideas'?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by St-Patrick

Yeah that's Alexandrine Latendresse, I cannot believe the NDP put forth such inexperienced candidates in Quebec. Look up Ruth Ellen Brosseau as well, it's even worse.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

She's a bartender in Ottawa and lives 300 kms from her riding. She never visited her riding during the campaign, however shee took a vacation to Las Vegas mid-campaign. Her employer of two years says she never spoke of politics with him. Goes to show just how much faith the NDP has in Quebec if you ask me. Jack Layton won't be able to get anything done, he'll be too busy training his team in Quebec.

I spent all day listening to people's reactions on the Tv and internet. Two things seem clear. People from Quebec vote for party leaders. People from Quebec vote for the party leader that seems like a nice guy.

I'm saddened by Duceppe's loss and resignation. I hope he'll come deal with provincial politics, maybe get Charest out of office. I doubt it will happen though. It's ridiculous, so many voters were saying, I voted for NDP but I didn't think it would destroy the Bloc Quebecois... Wow, way to think forward.

I'm also left confused about the performance of Ignatieff. Though he doesn't seem like a nice guy in comparison to Layton, he comes off as way more intelligent and classy. To me Layton isn't prime minister material, he doesn't look like someone who thinks things through. I think canadians are afraid of academics in office.

All that said, you can all figure out I'm not happy with a conservative majority. It will favor big corporations as well as the Military Industrial Complex. It's weird how most of the people on the internet seem to be against Harper but he still got majority. I guess it's mostly older, non internet users that voted him in.

Like I said in another thread, yesterday, for the first time, I had a discussion with my girlfriend on what country to move to if everything goes haywire.

edit on 3-5-2011 by Wowbagger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
That's right folks, this has NOTHING to do with Bin Laden! I know, I'm crazy..

The Conservative Party of Canada is absolutely blowing out the Liberals in tonight's federal elections.

Do they use the same voting machines as the US?

Doesn't it seem odd to anyone else - - - Canada all of a sudden voting in all these conservatives?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

No. Our system is way different than your's. We aren't a two party system. We aren't a republic. And the vast majority of Canadians are essentially swing voters every election.

A small percentage of the populace is a pure "party ticket" voter. I happen to live in about the worst bastion of the "party ticket" in Canada.
edit on 2011/5/3 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by Annee

No. Our system is way different than your's. We aren't a two party system. We aren't a republic. And the vast majority of Canadians are essentially swing voters every election.

A small percentage of the populace is a pure "party ticket" voter. I happen to live in about the worst bastion of the "party ticket" in Canada.

If you say so. My son-in-law is Canadian -- but not very political.

Its a little hard to believe any voting process these days.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It is perfectly believable. Canadians swing vote all the time.

I've been a card carrying, door knocking Liberal. Federally myself since 18, I've voted Liberal, Green and Conservative.

With the last conservative majority, they went from sweeping the country to having their entire party wiped out for decades. Liberals swept the entire country, and now they have nothing.

It isn't new, it isn't unique. This is just same-ol'-same-ol'.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wowbagger

But its' not that people in Quebec were voting FOR the NDP as much as they were abandoning the Bloc.

I'd say your ire rests with Douchesepp.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by StripedBandit
That's right folks, this has NOTHING to do with Bin Laden! I know, I'm crazy..

The Conservative Party of Canada is absolutely blowing out the Liberals in tonight's federal elections.

Do they use the same voting machines as the US?

Doesn't it seem odd to anyone else - - - Canada all of a sudden voting in all these conservatives?

It's not 'all of a sudden'. They gained some 23 seats for a total of 167 The big upset was everybody abandoning the Liberals (Big L) and their milquetoast 'centrism'. That and the abandoning of the separatist Party Quebecois , which may have some serious effect on Can politics in the future.

Like someone else mentioned, the Canadian system is different than the American. You should study up on it a bit. Its interesting.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Not so, I never voted for the Bloc because I never saw a future with that party. I'm a federalist myself. I'm more surprised at the voters reactions towards his resignation. Like they just didn't think what would happen if they voted NDP.

I said I'm saddened because with him goes a party that was part of Quebec history. Basically, I think that If the party doesn't survive its leader's resignation, it will be a step towards eliminating french canadian culture from Canada. That being said, this was not a strong enough reason for me to vote for the Bloc, ever.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

As for myself, I didn't use any machine when I wen t to vote. I wrote my choice on a paper ballot and dropped it in a box. I don't think voting machines have been implemented anywhere in Canada yet, though I may be wrong.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wowbagger

How do you eliminate the culture of half the population??!?

We have arabs who celebrated 911 by jumping out of their cabs at the airport getting arab speaking public schools. But somehow half the Canadian population, mostly grouped in one region, would lose theirs?

Je ne comprend pas. Ici, en Alberta, nous avon les ecoles d'immersion. En Alberta.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by taskforce4256

Who are the usual suspects? I'm pretty darned conservative, voted for Harper once. Learned from that mistake though. Won't happen again.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
I have to say, a lot about the recent, unpredictable rise in the NDP seems fishy. What caused it? Why the apparent switch for so many from Liberal to NDP? IT seems like the last two Liberal leaders (Dion and Ignatief) were almost chosen to lose. Dion came across as a weenie, and Ignatief sounds like an arse.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ah. I see. Yeah - you see this answer is pretty involved actually for someone who doesn't know how our type of democracy works. I'll try to give you a basic outline.

Dion wasn't chosen to lose. Dion was a second place run off candidate.

Each party has a voting system internally for members of the party. The federal Liberals have a system of voting in which people would vote for their candidate and then their second choice candidate. A winner had to be the person with a certain percentage of the overall vote.

In the case where Dion won, there was two very strong first pick candidates who represented two very different directions for the party. One centrist, the other NDP light. Both took a large but not sufficient amount of the first choice vote. However, as a second choice vote each main candidate's people were not likely to put in the other strong candidate. But supporters of both candidates did put in Dion. So as a second tier run-off, Dion took MOST of the vote.

Dion is not NDP. Dion isn't as centrist as I'd like though. He was also unsuited to the position. He's a policy wonk and should have stayed there.

The NDP have been infiltrating the Liberal party for some time. That isn't a conspiracy. That's just plain obvious. NDP politicians running for the Liberal leadership is just the most obvious. Some of them just got tired of never getting a chance at the bat and decided to move to the Liberals. Enough of them did this to serious effect policy, ideas, presentation, and candidates.

The Reform managed to swallow the Progressive Conservative party, effectively ending some of the vote splitting they had on the right. With Liberals being unable to differentiate themselves from the NDP, they lost their central vote to both sides, the NDP and the Conservatives.

The Liberals did not effectively understand the danger they were in by the NDP, even when some of us have been telling them for some time now. The NDP didn't win. The NDP BECAME the Liberals by making the difference between the Liberals and the NDP disappear, and the Liberals helped them do it.

No one works harder to be elected than Liberal candidates. Some of the Green do. NDP candidates go on vacation. Conservatives don't seem to do anything but act like snots and poll. They'll come back, just as soon as their caucus gets their collective head out of their butts and lets Liberals be Liberals.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wowbagger
reply to post by Annee

As for myself, I didn't use any machine when I wen t to vote. I wrote my choice on a paper ballot and dropped it in a box. I don't think voting machines have been implemented anywhere in Canada yet, though I may be wrong.

All I can say is:

Read: blackboxvoting.org

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I said it's a step towards eliminating it. Of course you don't eliminate a culture overnight. Furthermore, Quebec is around 8 million people, Canada is around 33-34 million, so it's a quarter of the population. And if you consider places like Montreal, around 2 million habitants, which is becoming more and more english speaking, you can understand how the culture is being diluted and relayed to regions rather than big population centers.

Language is a big part of a population's culture and I think that without a Quebec representation, the french language, and consequently bilinguism in Canada, will be taking a hit. And I know you said there's french immersion schools in other provinces but I don't think that's what will save the language or the culture.

I suppose the preservation of the culture will have to be something to be done internally, through history teaching in high schools and such. Also, I guess it was inevitable, the separation of Quebec is not such an issue to people of my generation. It will probably be even less of an issue for the next generation.

Also wanted to add that I'm no politician, I'm speaking from the heart here.
edit on 3-5-2011 by Wowbagger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm certainly not saying one is better than the other, if that's what you're getting at. I was simply answering a question you asked. I did not have a choice either, I had to use the paper ballot.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wowbagger
reply to post by Annee

I'm certainly not saying one is better than the other, if that's what you're getting at. I was simply answering a question you asked. I did not have a choice either, I had to use the paper ballot.

No Prob. I've been following this voting manipulation stuff at least since 2000.

There has been manipulation - - even with write in ballots. Black Box Voting - - is the place to check out if there have been any known problems in your area.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join