It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Federal Elections-Stephen Harper Wins Majority

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
That's right folks, this has NOTHING to do with Bin Laden! I know, I'm crazy..

The Conservative Party of Canada is absolutely blowing out the Liberals in tonight's federal elections.

Even though I am sure the NDP will be pleased with near 100 seats.

The Bloc Quesbecois got annihilated, with Gilles Duceppe losing his own seat!

Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff says he isn't resigning unless made to, despite the worst defeat in the history of the Liberal Party of Canada.

I for one was hoping for anyone BUT Harper to win.
edit on 2-5-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

Final tally:

* Conservatives: 156 ridings * NDP: 105 ridings * Liberals: 33 * Bloc Quebecois: 3
edit on 2-5-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Not a good day to be canadian today i voted for the NDP and i feel that my vote has been stolen

I even doubt that place where i voted or any place for that matter even bothered of looking and reviewing all the election bailout papers, it feels rigged.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Sorry double post.
edit on 2-5-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I am so mad about this. The only positive thing (for me and anyone who voted NDP) is that NDP is now the official oppostion with the Liberals being knocked out. But we're really under Harpers thumb with Conservative majority.

Ughhhh God!@# politics. Will we never learn?

Harper = Canadian Bush.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Did you look at BC's ridings? Didn't it strike anyone as weird at how much of a Conservative domination we have? I felt pretty secure in the fact that the NDP had BC (and while NDP did pretty good, it was still too much conservative for my liking).

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
BOO!!
down with harper

i see PC signs on all the lawns around my area and i have no idea why they buy into his crap, it seemed to me that so many people were unhappy with him the last time around, why re-elect him, with majority to boot.
i really don't know what happened.

edit: i'm surprised the green party won a seat. wasn't expecting that.

edit on 2-5-2011 by mesaana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
the elections are rigged just like the U.S elections
harper is soooo going to screw us

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I have to say, a lot about the recent, unpredictable rise in the NDP seems fishy. What caused it? Why the apparent switch for so many from Liberal to NDP? IT seems like the last two Liberal leaders (Dion and Ignatief) were almost chosen to lose. Dion came across as a weenie, and Ignatief sounds like an arse.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jar11

Did you look at BC's ridings? Didn't it strike anyone as weird at how much of a Conservative domination we have? I felt pretty secure in the fact that the NDP had BC (and while NDP did pretty good, it was still too much conservative for my liking).

It's only weird if you forget that much of BC is rural, a Conservative stronghold.

Folks in the GVRD forget that sometimes. It's not all Vancouver.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jar11

Maybe now you should understand how the the vast majority of us BC'ers are sick and tired of you irresponsible and selfish lefty whackjobs.

You just got broomed out the door.

Goodbye, and btw welcome to the REAL world.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
National Post

The damage to the Liberals and Bloc was so severe that even leaders Michael Ignatieff and Gilles Duceppe were on track to lose their seats in Ontario and Quebec. Mr. Duceppe, in fact, immediately announced his resignation as leader of the sovereigntist party, declaring in his concession speech: “I am leaving, but others will follow, until Quebec becomes a party.”

With all 308 ridings reporting as of 11:50 p.m. EST, the Tories were leading or had won 165 seats — well past the 154 needed for a majority — and the NDP were leading or had won 104 ridings — nearly tripling the 36 seats it gleaned in 2008. A decimated Liberal Party was on track to win just 35 seats, and the Bloc Quebecois were poised to glean just three.

Green Party leader Elizabeth May was on track to make a historic gain by capturing her party’s first elected seat, set to knock out Tory incumbent Gary Lunn in the B.C. riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands.

It looks to me like the New Democrats nearly tripled their seats in the Canadian Parliament. The Conservatives have however won more than 50% of the seats and are set to become the majority party in government. Bloc Quebecois was absolutely destroyed in this election, leaving only 3 seats in their hands. Liberal Party which had for awhile been the strongest party in Canada only being put into opposition by the Conservatives were wiped out as well, managing to gain only 35 seats.

There is much debate about Canada's sovereignty now being threatened with a Harper majority, the fear of the North American Union being in its final stages to morph Canada into the United States. I find it completely ridiculous and exaggerated, of course I oppose "deep integration" between our two countries but this is not the abolition of either Canadian or American sovereignty.

Seats Before Election:

Conservative - 143
New Democrat - 36
Liberal - 77
Bloc Quebecois - 47
Green - 0

Seats So Far:

Conservative - 165
New Democrat - 104
Liberal - 35
Bloc Quebecois - 3
Green - 1

That represents a change of:

Conservative (+22)
New Democrat (+68)
Liberal (-42)
Bloc Quebecois (-44)
Green (+1)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Election 2011 Live Results

Canada:

CON..... 40% - 166
NDP..... 31% - 103
LIB....... 19% - 34
BQ....... 06% - 4
GRN..... 04% - 1

Alberta:

CON..... 67% - 27
NDP..... 17% - 1

British Columbia:

CON..... 46% - 21
NDP..... 33% - 12
LIB....... 13% - 2
GRN..... 8% - 1

Manitoba:

CON..... 53% - 11
NDP..... 26% - 2
LIB....... 17% - 1

Newfoundland and Labrador:

LIB....... 38% - 4
NDP..... 33% - 2
CON..... 28% - 1

New Brunswick:

CON..... 44% - 8
NDP..... 30% - 1
LIB....... 23% - 1

Northwest Territories:

NDP..... 46% - 1

Nova Scotia:

CON..... 37% - 4
NDP..... 30% - 3
LIB....... 29% - 4

Nunavut:

CON..... 50% - 1

Ontario:

CON..... 44% - 72
NDP..... 26% - 22
LIB....... 25% - 12

Prince Edward Island:

LIB....... 41% - 3
CON..... 41% - 1

Quebec:

NDP..... 43% - 58
BQ....... 23% - 4
CON..... 17% - 6
LIB....... 14% - 7

Saskatchewan:

CON..... 56% - 13
LIB....... 9% - 1

Yukon:

CON..... 34% - 1

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
DOWN WITH HARPER. Here comes the North American Union

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Canadianpride420

sadly thats whats going to happen

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Lol. Lefty whackjob indeed. If it was up to me they would ALL be swept off the porch. Replaced with what you may ask? No freaking idea! So... Maybe my plan wouldn't work so well ^_^.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by demontigny
the elections are rigged just like the U.S elections
harper is soooo going to screw us

yep feels that way and who trust any of them anymore....

that said i doubt they are all crooked we got one ndp in Alberta in edmonton tho not in our riding we voted ndp too 4 bucks for em if nothing else eh

strange how our systems set up NDP won the east except what Ontario? the block only got 3 so what 60 or 70% of us voted ndp but they only got 103 seats while the cons took the prairies and half of bc and yet still ended up with way more seats...
www.cbc.ca...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
We have one hope and that is that some conservatives might ignore precedent
and vote on behalf of their constituents
instead of toeing Harpers line

not too likely

and remember the best way to get rid of a tyrannt
is to let him act like one

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think ts noteworthy that all the posts complaining about Harper have no concrete examples of solutions.

Just hating Harper is not a policy. That's why the Liberals lost so bad. They had no actual ideas.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Analysis by my husband & I.

Liberals need to get rid of the NDP out of their party, and they need to reassess. They've needed to reassess for some time and they're so convinced of their rectitude that they've resisted mightly. Do you think that they got the message yet?

I hope they keep Iggy. I do. A leader who has good ideas, but needed a righteous ass kicking to straighten it out is probably a good thing. I suspect by the end of this campaign the huge mistake he made started to become clear. I want him to stay now. The ideas are good. (except the anti-military bent) The execution needs more than a minor tweaking. They need an almost complete redo in their caucus. A leader that is actually willing to say, "well crap. Mea Culpa. We'll do better. Message Received."

Conservatives got a majority government. Good for them. Now since they've been showing they don't give a carp about playing ball with a minority, their social agenda as a majority should pretty much annihilate them after this term. This makes him very happy. He voted for them merely on the premise that he expects that their social agenda arrogance with a majority is going to hamstring them. I think there is a very good chance this is so.

The Bloc. Ha Ha. I guess fist waving and scowling only plays for so long.

Oh, and Liberals....the NDP in your party....how long do you think you are going to keep them for, when they can now cross the floor to the more powerful party? Hmmmm?
edit on 2011/5/3 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
To sum up these posts:
1. If my party wins a majority, it means Democracy triumphs.

2. If my party loses, it means the elections were rigged.

3. If my party loses really big, it means an international conspiracy is afoot to meld Canada into the US.

I just talked to my family in Edmonton. They previously predicted a loud outcry from "the usual suspects" about the conservative win. They are highly pleased.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join