It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Arrests, Tear Gas, Sound Weapons used Against West Illinois University Students

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

What part do you not get that our honest opinion is that the police used excessive force, and that it was unwarranted.

You have a problem with free speech in this country that's obvious.

Too bad.

I have looked at the videos and nothing occured that warranted the police taking the approach that they did.

It was a clear violation of the people's right to assemble, and I don't care what kind of code some little worm of a corrupt politician makes to fleece the citizens of money.

No one was being hurt, and nothing was getting hurt until the police attacked the crowd.

Have a problem with that, too bad.

People have opinions, can't stand to hear them, then don't be around people.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by Xcathdra

Anyone that watches the videos can plainly see the police when in there with the full intent of provoking the students..

The police were well equipped and coordinated which tells me it was all planned well in advance..

That also tells me they were always going to go in whether there was trouble or not..

It looks to me like they. the police, created the trouble....

It's looked that way to the overwhelming number of respondents to this thread too.

Something a couple of very negative and suspect posters have taken exception too.

They harp and they harp on people again and again insisting that they are wrong and must change their mind, based on the most suspect of reasons and absurdities.

Had the police never gone out to the party, the next day it would have been over and cleaned up like it never happend.

Just like it has for twenty years running now.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

THE POLICE INCITED THE RIOTS! IN THE PICTURES DO YOU SEE ANY EVIDENCE THAT THE STUDENTS WERE IN ANYWAY VIOLENT OR OUT OF CONTROL? THEY HARASSED & PEPPER SPRAYED STUDENTS INDISCRIMINATELY, INCLUDING SOME WHO WERE JUST STANDING ON OUR PORCH WATCHING EVERYTHING. THEY PHYSICALLY PUSHED PEOPLE INSIDE THE HOUSE WHICH WAS ALREADY JAM PACKED WITH STUDENTS WHO WERE AFRAID TO GO INSIDE. I AM CLAUSTROPHOBIC & HAVE AN EXTREME PHOBIA OF BEING CLOSELY SURROUNDED BY SEVERAL PEOPLE, I STEPPED OUT ON THE PORCH AND I WAS THREATENED WITH ARREST WHILE TEXTING.
THE AERIAL VIEW SHOWN IN THIS PICTURES ARE FROM THEIR OWN CAMERAS. THEY USED DOGS, MACE, & RIOT GEAR. I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY OWN EYES--IT WAS EERILY REMINISCENT OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS MARCH & THE CHICAGO DEMOCRAT CONVENTION.

www.centralillinoisnewscenter.com...
edit on 4-5-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Anyone that watches the videos can plainly see the police when in there with the full intent of provoking the students..

The police were well equipped and coordinated which tells me it was all planned well in advance..

That also tells me they were always going to go in whether there was trouble or not..

It looks to me like they. the police, created the trouble....

since my good name keeps getting mentioned in vein (ah..Hem AND mis-spelled !), I may as well render an opinion.

I think there were people who intensionally started a "disturbance" as the police training force waited.

they work well together ....

I agree with Proto and BiB......

it looks like an overkill conspiracy if ya ask ME !

Confucius say____
one who lights firecracker should not hold on too long !

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Last time I seen police act so stupid was at an ozzfest. In like 15 seconds the 5 toughtguy cops were surrounded by hundreds of us just about ready to stomp them for ganging up and beating a guy with their little folding batons. The only reason they walked out of there, was because the anarchist band members jumped off the stage and asked the moshers to let them go. Cops saved by anarchists, was pretty ironic lmao.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

man, are your absolutely sure you want ME to start taking a close look at the videos and pictures !!!!

you KNOW what happened last time !!

I already saw some discrepancies even with one eye closed !!

wery wery suspicious !!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

In reality out of the estimated 3,000 students attending the party, 110 arrests were made, or .036 percent of the party goers.

Now lets look at the break down of these arrests.

Lets break them down into two groups, potential trouble makers, and simple code violations .

Potential Trouble Makers

17 were arrested for disorderly conduct***
07 were arrested for interferring/ressisting. ***
03 were arrested for thowing missles(Beer bottles)**
05 were arrested for aggravated battery***

Simple Code Violations

22 were arrested for illegal consumption by a minor*
41 were arrested for open containers*
10 were arrested for urinating in public*
02 were arrested for loud gatherings***
01 was arrested for walking in the roadway***
01 was arrested for cannabis posession under 10 grams*
01 was arrested for possession/manufacture of a controlled substance*

* Arrested throughout the course of the day
** Arrested for throwing bottles BY UNDERCOVER OFFICERS IN THE CROWD
*** Arrested once Riot Police entered the scene

So in reality 35 people out of over 3,000 were arrested as some part of the Riot Police Action

So that's 1 in 100 people who did something worthy of arrest, and there is no telling how many of those only did what they did because of the police action.

"Everybody was told to leave, so technically, if you're standing there and you're walking up to the crowd control unit and screaming, you're subject to disorderly conduct and that's what those individuals were charged with," said Barker.

www.connecttristates.com...

So some of the disorderly conduct arrests were students complaining about the brutality and excesses of the police action.

"We had undercover officers in the crowd, watching for individuals throwing beer bottles, and those people were grabbed and charged with aggravated battery."

www.connecttristates.com...

This was a sum total of three people arrested for throwing bottles, and an undercover presence was on scene to deal with those.

Obviously bottle throwing then was a direct response to the heavy handed excessive tactics of the police.

Further the EMT's had set up stations not to treat students for alchohol poisoning but to actually treat them for the effects of the mace and pepper spray that was used on them.

Barker said the people who were sprayed were offered medical treatment.
“Anybody that was sprayed with the pepper spray was treated by EMS and given wipes and given different things to clean out their eyes,” he said. “One of my officers handed one individual who received pepper spray a bottle of water to wash his eyes out. He thanked the officer.”

www.mcdonoughvoice.com...

Meanwhile some students plan on hiring lawyers to pursue suits against the Sherrif's department.

“I’m just a college student here,” he said. “I’m just trying to go to school and not get into any trouble. I don’t think this was right. I don’t want to cause any trouble, but at the same time, I have to stand up for what I believe is right...I’m done with partying here.”

www.mcdonoughvoice.com...

Many of the students complained that the weren't given time to gather their belongings and leave the area from the time 'warnings' were issued to the point when the police started their assault on the crowd.

So there you have it.

No riot was occuring prior to the assault by the police.

Dubious posters trying to portray all 3,000 people as 'drunken students' that were 'throwing beer bottles at EMT's', 'destroying property' and refusing to leave are exagerating in an attempt to try to justify an excessive use of force on thousands of kids, most of them 99%, doing absolutely nothing wrong at all.

edit on 5/5/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

22 were arrested for illegal consumption by a minor*
41 were arrested for open containers*
10 were arrested for urinating in public*
02 were arrested for loud gatherings***
01 was arrested for walking in the roadway***
01 was arrested for cannabis posession under 10 grams*
01 was arrested for possession/manufacture of a controlled substance*

Wow, them kids were well behaved...
You'd get far worse than that on an average friday night in any busy Australian city..
Only one on drugs and I see NO mention of drunk and disorderly..

Seems like an exceptional well behaved bunch of students to me...

No I wonder how many cops may end up facing charges over this incident..

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I mean why not roll up in a squad car. Get out with a loud speaker and ask if everyone is having a good time!

Alright, that's what I want to hear. We are here to let you guys know that we will be at your disposal if you need us for anything. Besides beer runs.

Try to keep things in order and have a great time and be safe!

Then drive away and report back every few hours to say hello and wish everyone well.

There is no need to be issuing tickets for drinking though. That is provocation by the police, standing there and waiting for someone to go on the sidewalk or something? That's just asinine ball busting crap right there.

Were the police actually requested to the party goers to engage them in full riot gear? Or who made that call that riot operations needed to ensue?

I remember quite a few block parties in my time and I'll tell you that one looked like it was well behaved and people were having fun. I saw no need for the police there. They might use the defective traffic sign as an excuse to engage riot operations because it was there favorite sign. Who knows?

The menacing public hazard was rightly pulled from its precarious position before it landed on someone. The party goers would have petitioned the town for a proper sign after the party. No harm done.

The fire looked alright to me. We always had fires at block parties. That was the highlight of the party. Who cares what they were burning, we used tires. We never did get beat down by swat teams though. That was a first for me to see.

The police came in uninvited and force marched through the party. They weren't invited so what do they think is going to happen to them? Yes, some intoxicated people would take offense and want them to leave.

Or should the party goers have laid on the ground in a submissive fashion while the police decided what to do next? What did the police expect from this little operation of theirs?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
When Ron Paul gets elected in 2010, I hope he purges the country of these people.

"So you dressed up like that and did what to who? ....Ten years Hard Labour."

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by coldkidc

Heres an idea.. Dont get drunk and break the law... Easy as that.

Also, it doesnt matter if it happens every year or not. Dont break the law..

and aside from fearmongering and trying to draw a paralell that does not exist, what the hell does kent state have to do with unfderage drinking and breaking the law by rioting?
edit on 2-5-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Here's an idea. Don't exist. It is widely stated an avg citizen breaks six laws a day. Sorry. Not so easy.

CJ

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I mean why not roll up in a squad car. Get out with a loud speaker and ask if everyone is having a good time!

Or some uniformed police visibly patrolling instead of the undercover ones they had...

We've seen the trouble undercover cops can cause.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

Since this is a conspiracy site, I think I'm inclined to believe that those three should be better known as 'The Star Club', since it appears that like to hang out in the same threads and star each other for their diatribes.

Our club house plaque says "Trolls Killed While U Wait".....
edit on 5-5-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

I watched the videos you posted. That was no where near a riot. If it was a riot, those police would not have had a chance, and they would have gotten hurt with or without riot gear. What's next? Are they going to disperse a large family reunion with over 500 people? Seen that many at a reunion before.

It looked more like a huge 4th of July party neighborhood party with a nice little bonfire and without the BBQ grills. My husband burns more than that behind our house.

During the 4th, I hope the students make the police go on a wild goose chase trying to find out who set off fire works on the 4th. At one end of the complex people set off fireworks. As soon as police get to that end, it stops. At the other end others are setting them off.
I seen that happen at a race track at an SCCA event when I camped over night.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

best idea i'v heard all day !!

the fire should have been used to roast marshmellows and sausages .... delivered by the police squad !

and was the beer cold ?

i didn't spot any pizza either, but i was only looking with one eye and no glasses !

star 4u2

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady

I watched the videos you posted. That was no where near a riot. If it was a riot, those police would not have had a chance, and they would have gotten hurt with or without riot gear. What's next?

Artillery and drone strikes.

*When I was young, if someone told me that one day American Cops would carry implements of electrotorture on their belts I'd have called that person a goddamn madman.

Same for Free Speech Zones.

Same for the TSA.

edit on 5-5-2011 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
In the intrest of toning the debate back down so others can get in and talk about it...

To BIB, Xcheu and Proto - My appologies for leveling personal attacks at you. My irritation got the best of me in the heat of the moment.

In an effort to get back to the topic at hand, I will be ending my participation in this thread. If anyone has any questions about the law enforcement aspect and want further information or where to look for answers, feel free to send me a pvt message and I will do what i can to help you out.

All I ask is for people to keep an open mind and consider the possibility that they might not completely understand how the law works.

With that, I look forward to debating in the next topic that draws us all in.

Xcathdra

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

To BIB, Xcheu and Proto - My appologies for leveling personal attacks at you. My irritation got the best of me in the heat of the moment.

Thanks for that, and I too am going to be exiting the thread at this point.

Thanks for the spirited debate and the wealth of information you brought to the table.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

The biggest problem I have with the cops these days is the police for profits concept. It seems like they see an event like this as a money making opportunity anymore. It is more important to them to issue high cost traffic tickets than actually protect the public. You call 911 for a legitimate need and they take their sweet time- my experience and I see this issue on the news on a regular basis. Yet, when the weather is good, I can always count on them to be at the usual speed traps and scouring the highways. I have had friends pulled over 3 times in a 20 mile span in S Utah for a taillight out. Give me a break. Do something useful. There is often a cowboy mentality and if not that they are holier than thou.
edit on 5-5-2011 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2011 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
God forbid that today's kids get a chance to blow off some steam, and act their age.

As if college age kids haven't been doing this since before the day of the first fraternity back in ancient Greece.

As if this generation doesn't have the right to do what all other generations of the past have done.

As if the buggers who ordered this crackdown didn't do the same thing in their youth, and wouldn't treat their own kids this way.

If any generation of kids have a right to blow off steam, it would be this generation.

They are putting themselves heavily into debt, for a piss poor education, just to be eligible to get a job, that will have far more applicants than is reasonable, because the boomer generation has bankrupted our country, and left a fine mess for future generations to clean up.

edit on 5-5-2011 by poet1b because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32 >>

join