It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to fight the gas prices?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I was thinking since we might be seeing $8 per gallon i think i found a way we can still get around but it wont be as efficient as driving your car obviously. i found one of these gas powered motors online and i seen them on youtube. apparently you can attach it to your normal bicycle and have it run on gas like a moped, you could also use the bicycle by pedaling aswell. it says it gets 100-150 miles per gallon and can go between 25-40 mph depending on your weight. its about $150ish..

do you guys think i should get one of these? i dont have a drivers license or car yet so id say it would be good for me to depend on for awhile to get to work or a friends house.

www.bikeberry.com...

thats just one of the many sites that sell these btw.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Dylan201 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I've seen at least one person with one of these around the neighborhood. Didn't know it was a kit and thought it was something custom they put together.

It all sounds nice until you have to bike 5+ miles each way into the office in the middle of February in 2+ feet of snow, heavy rain, or worse freezing rain and ice. No thanks, I'll suck it up for as long as I reasonably can or telecommute on the days when its not feasible.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dylan201

Welcome to China.
It's all been written. See you on the othe side.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I've built three of these since october. They are fantastic. But the epa jack-tards are already shutting down the import of these little dinamos. My other vehicle is a 9mpg 71 torino, my bike offsets the cost of owning such a vehicle nicely. Check my photo albums for pics of my bike builds, as I am currently on my phone and can't include pics in my post.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobaganoosh

nice dude, do you definatly know how fast i can go with an 80cc engine? i dont trust the information the site says, they might be exaggerating their product.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
get a horse

and then you wont have to buy gasoline anymore.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I love walking!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

No this is better! It runs on pure foot energy and doesn't take a drop of gas.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Hahaha! I just imagined myself on a horse galloping through the city.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

ahahahahaha

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrormaster

How about, ride your car in the winter, ride the bike in the summer unless you go do groceries. Gas is naturally higher in the summertime anyways.

Also... What a drag that would be to get 9mpg... would cost me $14.51 per day to go to & from work.

Currently in a 06 cobalt, pretty good. Get like 30-31 back roads if you don't gun it at every start. So costs me $4.35 or so a day to go to / from work. Not bad eh

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I max mine out at 28 mph, however my bike is somewhat heavier than say a road bike. Its a huffy beach cruiser, with rear rack, and saddle bags. I also made a utility trailer for it out of a toddler toter, even with my 6' 3" 200+ pound buddy in tow we were still breaking 20 mph petal assisting the whole way. You can buy smaller sprockets to add to top speed, also install expansion chamber exausts. Also look into the application of what is called a "jackshaft" kit to utilize the multi speed shimano assemblies of multi speed bikes. You won't be disappointed no matter how you go. I've been driving mine almost daily since october and I am currently on my fourth gallon of gas.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This would help out with my gas costs. Even more so than my current job working from home.

If the EPA is really about to ban these it sounds like prime time to start manufacturing and selling these locally.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
And yes, they are talked up a bit, for instance the chinese have a different way of measuring. American they are actually 66 cc motors which measures all the internal space of the motor, not the combustion chamber (which is a mere 4.88 ci). I also run the 44 tooth sprocket. I know for certain 36 tooth sprockets are readily available. For every tooth removed you add 1 mph to top speed, but have to petal assist much more. There are many ways to tweak a little extra juice out of them. Porting exaustand intake manifolds, synthetic 2stroke oil to reduce the oil/fuel ratio. They require constant maintenance, but in the end are entirely a worthwhile investment. My opinion, believe what you will.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
And yes, they are talked up a bit, for instance the chinese have a different way of measuring. American they are actually 66 cc motors which measures all the internal space of the motor, not the combustion chamber (which is a mere 4.88 ci). I also run the 44 tooth sprocket. I know for certain 36 tooth sprockets are readily available. For every tooth removed you add 1 mph to top speed, but have to petal assist much more. There are many ways to tweak a little extra juice out of them. Porting exaustand intake manifolds, synthetic 2stroke oil to reduce the oil/fuel ratio. They require constant maintenance, but in the end are entirely a worthwhile investment. My opinion, believe what you will.

so how exactly do i mantain the motor? does it mention how in the dvd it comes with?
edit on 1-5-2011 by Dylan201 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
ok I had one as well and I have done mecianics all my life so listen closly to save much agrevation lol.
when you buy the moter- bike if you put it toghter your self 1 moter kingsmoterbikes.com
for any and all parts .
first thing when you put it toghter use lockgrip 40 pounds on all the nuts and bolts as the vibrations tend to lousin them very easly (INCLUDING the carb screws )
BUt NOT the clutch cover screws Use lock washers on thous (add them in as they are not included)
once your moter is attached correctly then MOST important take off cluch cover there is a small screw take it out.
then using a scredriver tap on the star shaped LARG flat very flat center screw tighten it wile testing your cluch play .
The object is to get the minum amount of cluch play as you can .This will make the cluch pads last much much longer.
the bigest problem with these moters is the plastic rider for the chain near the back sprocket.
they ware out very fast But with the right leanght nbolt and right size copper pipe 1/3 inch you can make one that is metal .
as the other guy poosted they require lots of mantiance .
if you spend another 100$ you can buy a for stroke engian pull start that will last well forever lol.
these 2 stroke engians dont last more then 1k miles max the 4stroke (lawmopwer type last 8 or 9 k miles easly

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
one last thing if you need the dvd to do this my advice is get a motercycle or scooter lol .
as it will be a major challange to even get the moter mounted correctly if you have no mecanial ability .

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Depends on the state. Florida has a law that anything with a motor requires a Driver's License, even four wheelers. So here you wouldn't be able to do that.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Sorry let me clarify, I was refering to the bike as a whole in regards to constant maintenance. I've had no trouble with my motor as of yet, just broke 500 miles. Pay attention to spark plug color, run them rich if you're going to be at speeds in excess of 25mph for extended periods. (20 minutes +). Keep your air filter clean. That's about all the maintenance I've had to do with the motor. I was mainly refering to keeping chain in good condition, keeping all lugs tight, and get ready to replace bicycle tire (rear) about every two or three months depending on how much you drive it.

top topics

join