It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Calling Animals 'Pets' Deemed 'Insulting'

page: 6
13
<< 3  4  5   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

There are probably 30 or so that they adhere to strictly.


However, I'm certain that "...And if you get your feelings hurt due to my nomenclature of you, just bark twice" is not one of them.




posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone
 


No, "nomenclature" is a word that they seem to have a hard time with. that and "stay" seem out of their reach.

But they CAN growl.



posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by keepithush
 

I guess the pet shops will now be called companion shops or something.


Sorry companion shop is actually a polite way of saying brothel/bordello.



posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepithush
I guess the pet shops will now be called companion shops or something.
I


I made a pic for that too.





posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
There are two iguanas in my home that I care for and I refer to them as "your highness" and promptly bow my head when I enter their room.



posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
But I love my pet dog! And he loves his master!

Well, I am off to pout.



posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I have two snakes, and am looking into a few more. I know some people think that keeping animals in capitivity is wrong, but for snakes especially I feel like its better to give them a caring home, then let people do thing like this

rattlesnake roundup This is event where people gather yearly to slaughter as many rattlesnakes as possible. These snakes are only guilty of being snakes.



posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I agree with this sentiment. Do you know how embarrassing it is for the cats whose house I live in to call me their "pet"? As if I'm some plaything?? It's enough to make me think about leaving. Except they keep against my will because they don't have opposable thumbs to work the TV remote.

/TOA



posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana
 
Well no wonder when we look at your avatar.



posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cheesefacedogbone
 
How are the snakes killed because it says no guns allowed.



posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefacedogbone
I have two snakes, and am looking into a few more. I know some people think that keeping animals in capitivity is wrong, but for snakes especially I feel like its better to give them a caring home, then let people do thing like this

rattlesnake roundup This is event where people gather yearly to slaughter as many rattlesnakes as possible. These snakes are only guilty of being snakes.


I live in a town with an annual roundup, and just 1 hour from the world biggest (Sweetwater, TX). Take it from me when I can personally guarantee you that rattlesnakes are a menace to the people of the area. If you don't round them up in the spring, then all summer you will have children and animals being bitten by them. They are frequently in peoples houses. Imagine walking into the bathroom in the middle of the night and being struck at by a 3' rattler.

Once they are caught they are "milked" for antivenin. Without these events thousands of people would die from rattlesnake bites each year. Brutal? Yes. Necessary if we put human safety at any priority? Absolutely.



posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan
 


I guess thats fair enough, you would certainly know better than I would about how much of a problem they are. I can definitely understand reducing the numbers to keep people and animals safe, but I guess it's the pageantry of it all that makes me uncomfortable. Where I live, its very rare to see a venomous snake. We mostly just have copperheads, and even those you rarely see.

But also, if you keep a snake alive, you can "milk" it for as long as it lives.


edit on 30-4-2011 by Cheesefacedogbone because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefacedogbone
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan
 


I guess thats fair enough, you would certainly know better than I would about how much of a problem they are. I can definitely understand reducing the numbers to keep people and animals safe, but I guess it's the pageantry of it all that makes me uncomfortable. Where I live, its very rare to see a venomous snake. We mostly just have copperheads, and even those you rarely see.

But also, if you keep a snake alive, you can "milk" it for as long as it lives.


edit on 30-4-2011 by Cheesefacedogbone because: (no reason given)


I have had some friends that kept rattlers as "pets". It is a very dangerous pet to have, for sure. Much more dangerous than the constrictors that people keep.

I don't like killing animals, unless they are to be utilized for food and other materials. Even then, i have issues with it...but that is my own internal conflict. I completely understand where you are coming from.

I often use the metaphor of the snake thusly: "You cannot be angry at the snake for biting you. It is what the snake does." Politicians will lie, doctors will feel superior...you just have to expect people/animals to do what it is that comes natural to them.



posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan
 



I have actually done the research on obtaining a permit to keep venomous snakes. In Indiana, it only cost $10 dollars for a permit, but you have to have all of your neighbors approval. So I dont think it's gonna happen anytime soon. lol

I just don't want to see a species get wiped out. Part of the beauty of these animals is their natural defense mechanisms. I understand that some sort of balance needs to be maintained between nature and mankind. And I know my argument is somewhat hypocritical, because I eat meat, but am not necessarily the first to one to defend cows, pigs, and chickens. But At least in their case, there is certainly an effort to propagate the species.



posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux
 


I call mine my family members. My family calls them my furkids, or their cousins. I have never accepted them to be anything less than another member of the family though, and a lot of other people are the same.



posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I have pets. I pet them sometimes.

few dogs, some turtles.

I feed them when i desire, and i'd say i spoil them.

they are my pets



posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefacedogbone
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan
 



I have actually done the research on obtaining a permit to keep venomous snakes. In Indiana, it only cost $10 dollars for a permit, but you have to have all of your neighbors approval. So I dont think it's gonna happen anytime soon. lol

I just don't want to see a species get wiped out. Part of the beauty of these animals is their natural defense mechanisms. I understand that some sort of balance needs to be maintained between nature and mankind. And I know my argument is somewhat hypocritical, because I eat meat, but am not necessarily the first to one to defend cows, pigs, and chickens. But At least in their case, there is certainly an effort to propagate the species.



Well...i am drifting off topic a little here...but this thread has been anything but topical.

I have the same inner struggle that you have with the hypocrisy. Pythagoras said that as long as men eat animals he will never know peace. I believe this to be true.

yet, on the other hand I am currently eating a modified Atkins. I have lost over 1/4th of my previous body weight by eating 70% meats and cheeses.

BTW, if you are ever wanting to attend a roundup and are in the area, make sure you hit me up. I always wanted to know what a real cheesefacedogbone looked like.



posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   



posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet
 


I guess the question is, though, do you get offended or think it demeaning when someone else calls your fur babies pets?

Like you I consider my cats (and dogs when I was lucky enough to have them) family members, my parents refer to themselves as grandma or grandpa when interacting with my cats, and everyone in the family knows that their welfare is my number one personal priority. When someone asks me if I have children I have also been known to say "well, no human children..." Yet I am not going to get bent out of shape if someone asks me how the pets are doing or asks if I have pets. I think it is nice they even think to ask. I don't think they mean anything derogatory or offensive by it.

I don't mean to come across as argumentative. I am genuinely curious to hear your opinion.



posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
LOL I love that..."Leading Academics Say"

Yeah give me a break, if only they would use their intellectual prowess for something truly important, like learning how to keep their damn mouths shut, or better yet....Improving academia in order to prevent the current standard of embarrassment.



new topics

top topics



 
13
<< 3  4  5   >>

log in

join