It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling Animals 'Pets' Deemed 'Insulting'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
dp
edit on 28-4-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
People should not have pets or animal companions or anything let them go and let those animals live in the wild, if a person wants to have a "pet" he or she needs to live in their environment, instead of bringing them here. It's inhumane to keep animals as friends.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
People should not have pets or animal companions or anything let them go and let those animals live in the wild, if a person wants to have a "pet" he or she needs to live in their environment, instead of bringing them here. It's inhumane to keep animals as friends.

You're joking, right?

Dogs came to live with us. They lived on the edges of our settlements by choice, it was only natural that two social animals would find companionship.

Inhumane. Pshaw. My little pampered princesses?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

I came to this conclusion after I got my pets.I like the idea but neither species is native to my area and will surely die.What is more humane, keeping two turtles and a bird or letting them die?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thatonedude

I came to this conclusion after I got my pets.I like the idea but neither species is native to my area and will surely die.What is more humane, keeping two turtles and a bird or letting them die?

I have the same problem with my tortoise, I would have to travel all the way the Russia just to let him go. So, yes you should just keep them since you are trying to do the right thing.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I just had a long talk with my border collie Lulla. She is 4 months old so I used small words. She said that the morons that want to change her status from pet to companion should be either spayed or neutered.

Just quoting her remarks.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

You're joking, right?

Dogs came to live with us. They lived on the edges of our settlements by choice, it was only natural that two social animals would find companionship.

Humans own dogs for selfish reasons. Unless they are hunting dogs, guide dogs, seeing eye dogs or therapy dogs people should not have them.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

How great would it be if everyone let the pet market crash?No more boxes of kittens in parking lots.No more little doggies in small glass enclosures at pet shops.No more ......well you get the idea.The love a pet provides to a human does not justify the horrors of the animal trade.China and their living key chains comes to mind.Oh yeah and no more "pc"terms like companion turtle.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

You're joking, right?

Humans own dogs for selfish reasons. Unless they are hunting dogs, guide dogs, seeing eye dogs or therapy dogs people should not have them.

Sasha came up on my front porch. When i opened my door to see what was scratching the door, she walked in and pushed by me. Basically, she said "Hmm, nice place. Thanks." Where ever I stand, she is there with me. She found me, she claimed me.

It is selfish only in the sense that me loving my wife and doing kind things for her would be selfish. I do it because it makes me feel good, and that is selfish. Spend some time contemplating it, and you will find that every behavior is for selfish reasons, even when they seem to be so generous.

To only have a dog for work is treating one of our Creators creatures like a worthless machine. We are not separate from nature. Sure, we have houses and such. But we are still animals on this planet, and interacting with other animals is part of our nature.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

We should differentiate between a "pet" and a "relationship".

Dogs are aware, both of self and others. No, they have no ability for abstract thought, so they appear "dumb" to us. They are not. They attach to people for the same reasons people attach to people: it benefits them. Food, love, companionship...and we appear as Gods to them, with our ability to manipulate items with such mastery (viva la opposable thumbs).

It is a give and take relationship. She sits in my lap and allows me to soothe myself by petting her soft fur. In return, she gets the pleasure of having those hard to reach itches scratched. It is a give and take relationship that I hvae with my dogs. They are part of our family.

A turtle? No give or take. No real recognition of you as an individual, and likely no self awareness. It isn't a "pet". It is a rock that moves occasionally, and poops. No disrespect intended to your turtle or bird.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

the most inhumane part is that we rip them from the mother, although the mothers would be ditching them soon enough anyway.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I don't call my dog a "pet" she's my companion or furbaby.

My own personal experience, I've had way fewer problems with my "animal companions" than 99% of the humans I have dealt with.

Yes, now that I am retired, I do have a lot more time on my hands. Time to reflect upon what is right and wrong.

In order to own someone, any entity you must first declare them a "thing". We did that here in America to blacks up until the civil war.

Now we beginning to realize that just because an entity walks on all fours doesn't mean they shouldn't have rights.

Read Matthew Scully's "Dominion".

You do read don't you?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

A turtle? No give or take. No real recognition of you as an individual, and likely no self awareness. It isn't a "pet". It is a rock that moves occasionally, and poops. No disrespect intended to your turtle or bird

Lol. Turtles are a lot smarter then that. You can teach them to do tricks and everything.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

Now we beginning to realize that just because an entity walks on all fours doesn't mean they shouldn't have rights.

And ask anyone who works for the ASPCA, we all know they have rights.

WE, who know better though, know that we also have the right to call our animal anything we wish (considering I think we still have rights too), and that an ANIMAL cares not what you call it..... call it joey FFS, just dont kill it for no reason.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

We should differentiate between a "pet" and a "relationship".
A turtle? No give or take. No real recognition of you as an individual, and likely no self awareness. It isn't a "pet". It is a rock that moves occasionally, and poops. No disrespect intended to your turtle or bird.

None taken

You make a good point.I like to think my turtles know me but alas they don't.
My bird is very aware of the relationship that I can say with certainty.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Modern idiocy never fails to surprise. Just when you think people have gone overboard on their political correctness, idiots come with something new.

Anyways, I'm off to walk my pet.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thatonedude

Some birds are VERY intelligent, huh?

The cockatiel, is it? And that one parrot that is grey. Not much into birds. I value all life, though. I do the "catch and release" on insects in my home, except scorpions. Risk aversion on my part, lol.

All animals are intelligent, but you have to measure that intelligence on THEIR standards. The human standard of intelligence generally, based on IQ tests, deals with purely abstract information. We measure intelligence by our one trait that is seemingly "unique": the ability for abstract thought.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Said it before, I'll say it again... I hope one day a higher species arrives on our planet and views and treats us exactly as we do the animals on this planet. It will be interesting to see if the people who only see animals as food and entertainment will continue to adamantly express those same opinions when they are dinner on E.T.s dinner table or caged in an E.T. zoo somewhere to be gawked at. I imagine their perspective will change quite radically.

P.S. Not an activist. I just view humans as sophisticated animals, no more no less, that are way more arrogant and careless than we should be in our views of the rest of the life on the planet... especially considering we are the cruelest and most destructive animal on the planet. Intelligent doesn't really describe our species very well if you look at our long history and impact on the planet. Someday we might laugh that we ever used that term to describe ourselves if we ever wisen up. At this point, I'm not very optimistic.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Humans own dogs for selfish reasons.

Humans do everything they do for selfish reasons. This is no revelation. But dogs hang out with humans for their own selfish reasons.

Unless they are hunting dogs, guide dogs, seeing eye dogs or therapy dogs people should not have them.

If that's the way you believe, that's fine. Don't have them. But I don't suggest you try to take my dogs from me. Someone will get badly hurt.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I'm 100% in favor of treating animals nicely but yeah this is just silly and stupid. Does a dog really care what I refer to it as? Does the cat really care if its a pet or an "animal companion", no, it just wants to get fed. Besides there are a lot of pets where the term Animal Companion just doesn't work. I mean who is going to call their Goldfish or their hermit crab or their pet turtle an animal companion?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join