It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling Animals 'Pets' Deemed 'Insulting'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

yes and its not your pet fish in an aquairium its your fish companions in your aqutic prision, at leasts thats what i read in a book

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This is the very worst sense of "liberalism"..

If I call my wife "pet" is that derogatory?

If I call my two breeding pigs " Mr. Chubb...aka Chubby...aka Senior Chubby...or the sow "Princess Piggy" is that derogatory?... no, it shows an undo affection for those things that are dear to me.

I have a turkey...he is a pet...I have dubbed him..." Mr T" as in Tom Turkey..."Mr.T" runs the barn yard...like the boss in "Good Fellas"...he just sits back and everybody takes their marching orders from "Mr T"..." I pity the fool that messes with Mr T"..just like on TV

My point is...all of these names ashow a resillient amount of patience, love, and affection for common barnyard animals..many of which will end up on our table...but because we practice "animal wwelfare" farming...they are all of a good nature...bno stress = no adrenalin rushes, stress, no testosterone during life or slaughter. In fact, the guy that slaughters my pigs says I have some of the best mannered pigs around...I take that as a compliment.

Those offended by pet names should go out and get a life... obviously the pet name l"oser" can be applied to them

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
my question is how the F would they know its insulting. has any "pet" spoke forward about this. if so please link lol

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JustinSee

A friend of my named his dog, "GOD". We were out in the bush one time & God ran off. My friend went look for the dog calling out God, God where are you god, come here god. Some other people came down the path to see & here my friend calling out for god to come to him. They had very bemused looks on their faces. I just couldn't stop laughing.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

That's funny.

I wonder if PETA would approve. I mean, calling him "God" meant they thought quite highly of him, right?
It's better then "animal companion".

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Not that they thought high of him, it was called god simply because it was "dog" backwards.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

But did HE know that?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Of course he did, he was a god & he had the name to prove it.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I named my pet cat, B.itch....

Of course, the looks I got from neighbors was the best part....

"B.itch!, how many times do I have to tell you to stay in the kitchen"

"B.itch, go inside and lay down"

You get the idea....it's a good thing way back then, there werent advocacy groups du jour around every turn... the cops woulda been there every day.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

I could have imagine what the neighbours thought who didn't know the cat's name. Very funny.

Actually a female cat is called a queen.

Funny thing is dog's think humans are gods because we feed them.
Cats think they are gods because we feed them.

I have to admit I like the arrogant attitude of cats.

Dogs come when called.
Cats come when they deem they could be bothered.

Throw a stick for a dog he goes gets it & brings it back.
Throw a stick for a cat he will give you a look of get it yourself, if you wanted it so much why did you throw it away in the first place.

edit on 29-4-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

i say mean things to my dogs. not in a mean voice, though. like sasha...i talk to her a lot (she is my sidekick). "What are you doing, stupid?" She doesn't know what stupid means literally, and i am using it as more of a trash talking term of endearment (like when my best friend calls and asks "What's up, fata**?", even though he outweighs me by 50 lbs).

If they want to control public perception, stop with the silly antics and approach the public honestly. Some of us work to find placement for rescues, or drive spay/neuters in our town (i am working to get a voucher program set up for free spay/neuter). Get more people informed and involved. That is how you make real change.

However, with the current times Mazlow may control the situation. People are less inclined to worry about animals when they are losing standard of living.

This is meant humorously, but its also a tad true. They do so know what you're saying after so long. People who have tried to communicate with their cats or dogs in simple language usually get some very strange coincidences occurring including the said pet, rolling their eyes and giving you such a look of disdain.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I don't like when people call themselves "masters" of animals. I don't know, I don't like the dominating aspect of it. Animals are alive and can feel. Just because we have a higher train of thought doesn't mean we are necessarily above them in any way. But of course we are going to look out for our own over another species.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So should I start referring to them as "Enlightened beings of the Earthly Realm that allow me to feed and house them"?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
My dogs can not speak English and have no idea what "pet" or "companion animal" means anyway . So I am safe there .

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I saw this article earlier and just laughed.

I will stop referring to my cats as "pets" the minute they stop calling me "slave."

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Oh my. The world is full of nutjobs. As if I didn't already know that. Seriously, morons. WE are blasted animals for christ' sake! Some of us are wilder than the "wild animals". No animal cares what you call them. They don't speak in human languages. No animal is going to court to sue humanity for calling them derogatory terms. The day an animal can sue on its own behalf is the day that we stop using "derogatory" terms for that animal. Until then, this is ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Prof Linzey also hopes to see phrases such as "sly as a fox", "eat like a pig" or "drunk as a skunk" stamped out.

Erm... foxes are sly, pigs do eat a lot, and skunks are smelly.

What next!? don't insult poo by calling someone "thick as shi#t"!

edit on 29-4-2011 by john124 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I live with 2 cats. I never say "I have 2 cats" because I don't believe it's possible to "have" a cat, as they simply won't let you do that. Also, "having" a cat, dog, etc, sounds to me more like you're talking about a possession. And they're not my pets, they're my guys, each with his own personality & way of showing affection.

Their owner? Nah, it's more like I'm their body slave. Before I retired, I was fond of saying that I work, pay the bills, do the shopping & cleaning, & in return, the guys are kind enough to let me live in their apartment. All that having been said, it's a personal choice I make based on how I feel about the animals with whom I choose to share my life. Even with that, I still find this study & its "official" conclusions to be hilarious.

The bottom line is, are you giving your pets/companion animals/fuzzy buddies the kind of care they deserve? Do they thrive on your care, & show their love for you in return? All else is really just a matter of semantics, or perhaps a way to snag some government grant money instead of laboring on something a bit more relevant to everyday life.
edit on 4/29/11 by BuzzCory because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What isn't offensive now?
It seems if there's wiggle room to squeeze some sort of guilt trip out of it some idiot will exploit it.
Just more political correct madness that I shall defy.
I guess the pet shops will now be called companion shops or something.
It's all just a test to see how far we will bend over and act like dumb pets...sorry, companions (which we certainly aren't) of people in higher power.
When a dog or cat sits me down and has a word with me about being offended I will of course change my ways.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

My dogs understand basic commands all too well. I also keep 2 dogs, with 1 always being older than the other (to teach the ropes to the pup).

"potty outside", they run to the back door
"night night", they run to the bedroom they sleep in
"off", they get off whatever they are on
"leave it", they walk away from whatever it is they are near (this works well when they are sniffing at something that will make them sick)

There are probably 30 or so that they adhere to strictly.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join