It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony says hackers have stolen information for users including passwords, birthdays and Credit card d

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Does this mean I have to start canceling my card. I never wanted to put my info on there but all the research I did said sony was secure and unlikely to have a problem. I guess they could use my card for other internet puchases too?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
Does this mean I have to start canceling my card. I never wanted to put my info on there but all the research I did said sony was secure and unlikely to have a problem. I guess they could use my card for other internet puchases too?

I guess that would be the best thing to do. I am watching Sky News and they are suggesting that people should start doing this.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
Found out a few days ago that my debit card was compromised and the only place I used it online was via my playstation network.

Took me for a few thousand with an authorisation to a company called The five kings family or something similar in the US. Never heard of them myself.

Thanks Sony

Now that is just crappy.

Damn these BIG corporations. You would think an organisation the size of Sony would have much more robust systems in place, but no you may as well have gone up to the nearest crook and said here are my bank details, have fun.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The rumour floating about is that Sony's development network was breached. Obviously they won't come out and validate this claim but given the lack of details and length of outage it is a serious problem. I own a PS3 but was not on the PSN. Time to break out the mops.

To be more specific, this hack was done by installing a rogue firmware on a retail Playstation 3 console (ordinary PS3 unit), and what this does is it tricks the PSN security to think that its a dev-kit which is a part of Sony’s Developer Network. Since it’s mark as “trusted” by the system, it will assume it’s safe and won’t check it thoroughly, paving way for the culprit to download as many PSN content as he wants for free.

src

brill
edit on 26-4-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I wonder if Sony was stupid enough to make root passwords in there PSN the same as the password used on there PS3 game station? That would be the same as making the password for a cable box the same as the password for the cable network computers with all Pay Per View details and credit card information of customers.
edit on 26-4-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Well you would like to think they wouldn't, but you know these lazy system developers. I know a lot of people who use the same password for all their accounts and I have managed to guess a number of friends, just by knowing a little bit about them i.e favourite colour, favourite football team etc...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
I never wanted to put my info on there but all the research I did said sony was secure and unlikely to have a problem.

That should have been the first flag that should have raised. Anyone that tells you their computer network is 100% secure and safe is talking out their ass. Any computer can be breached if someone has the will to do so and it happens more than we even know.

edit on 26-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

You support the theft of the personal information of millions of people? You wouldn't be so excited if you were one of millions of people who were at risk of having their money stolen from someone who they have trusted with it

Violating the privacy of over 70 million individuals who just wanted to play some computer games is NOT a responsible action.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

what I understood of what Skewed said is there is nothing 100% secure especially in the internets... he doesn't support id theft lol

and to the person who starred you, lrn2read sir lol

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkofCain

I apologise to Skewed for misunderstanding the point he made in his post, I also think it's about time companies were more responsible with user data as well as users being more vigilant with whom they decide to share their information.
edit on 26-4-2011 by lifeissacred because: apology

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I do not support the fact that people lost personal information. However, what I do support is a company getting cast into some negative light and possibly hurting their customer base. It sucks that people did get exposed but looking at the possible outcome of significantly hurting this company, we cant always choose how things turn out or the means in which it happens and a few eggs getting broken in the process. That is how change occurs sometimes.

My other statements you are taking out of context. Bottom line, Sony has not exactly been honest with their customers and that is a deal breaker for me and why I will not do business with them now.

Then as an after thought, maybe we should not be so free to give out our information knowing the security risks. At times we bring this on ourselves. We sacrifice our own security for convenience or novelty, then when the worst happens, we cry about it. In some cases I just want to say, "You were warned!!"

edit on 26-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I did take your points out of context and I apologise, I agree with what you say to an extent, people are too quick to give up so much personal information. If this hacker/hackers were taking this information solely as a means of punishing sony then I hope they are decent enough people to not use/expose the stolen information, though I doubt someone would take the risk of stealing so much information to just destroy it and not exploit it for personal gain. That's the main issue I have here. Sony aren't at fault, they protected the information to the best of their ability, users trusted their information with sony and that trust still stands, Sony are victims as much as those whose information was stolen.
edit on 26-4-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

false...

if sony truly cares about its customers they should have build a better network

if they really care about the customers they wouldn't be hacked because they would make sure that those servers of theirs never gets hacked like this (or is it?)
now as far as I know they are rebuilding their systems for it to be more secure, i'm guessing if they lost lots of money in this outage that they would have to charge the previously free PSNetwork

Sony is a corporation they're all about the $$$

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I have my credit card info on PSN. I just called Visa and had them put a hold on it. No fraudulent purchases so I'm good. I'll just have them issue me a new card. I'm not to concerned and I still prefer ps3 over xbox at least it's free.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Internet truth #1: There is no such thing as a secure system.

If you have enough money somewhere, sooner or later someone is going to try to break in. And sooner or later, they will succeed.

If you insist on providing financial details online, you should be prepared to have those details compromised. It's just a matter of time before someone picks the lock.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I checked into rehab today, I didn’t know I was going through black ops withdrawal.
I hope all the anonymous members go to jail for life, so bubba can hack into there hacking ^%$ holes.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Except no system is unhackable. There are rules and regulations with regards to the storage of personal data, even more so when credit card details are involved, if they had not at least had a minimum amount of protection then I doubt they would have called in an independant security firm to try and discover how the hackers breached their security, whether they left any trace and probably how they can avoid any future breaches. If sony can get hacked so can any business which stores personal data, as someone has already said, they can pretty much guarantee someone is going to have a go at their systems eventually.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

What would be my issue is...

Fine they got hacked, it happens, man up and admit the mistakes and then fix them.

But for them to turn around and start charging their customers for their screw ups and shortcomings after it had been free all this time is just as absurd.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Like many of you I saw this a mile away. Why in world were we as customers not told this 5 or 6 days ago?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

huh? I wonder how that happened without knowing the security code.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join