It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony says hackers have stolen information for users including passwords, birthdays and Credit card d

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
If you have a PSN account, it's time to take damage control, as there is a huge chance your bank account details have been compromised.

Hackers Steal PlayStation Gamers' Details

Sony Corporation has a security fiasco on its hands...

Everything You Need to Know About Sony's PlayStation Network Fiasco

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

xbox live has been down, but never has any of my information been close to being compromised. I think it is you that is missing the point

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Bunch of crooks. I was so pissed I said screw it and sold my xbox and bought a PS3. PS3 online play is free anyway.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Got to love the anon shills trying to turn this on sony

Bad timing on the launch of the tablet and it probably had a hand in the timing of the release but with that much info compromised I'm sure they wanted to be 100% before hand.

www.informationweek.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I kind of find it funny some people are trying to paint Sony as the evil one in this situation.

Sony is providing a service...a service people voluntarily use and pay money for. Hacking Sony, stealing their customers credit cards, and stealing their money doesn't reflect poorly on Sony...it reflects poorly on the hackers.

Sony has a responsibility to keep it's user information safe. Usually this is done through encryption, but it looks like it did not do that.

Let's remember, Sony has broken no laws here...the hackers have.

Unfortunately, gross stupidity is not against the law.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thankfully I've used fake names, locations, emails on all ps3 accounts.
A few weeks ago I got miffed because I made my main account for another country and couldn't use my credit card for DC universe cause I used my prepaids...good thing I couldn't.

but anway the order of all these events do seem really strange to me.

They changed their terms and conditions twice recently.
They are going after that one kid and trying to justify it.
Then the basement dwellers, aka anon get involved.

Then this happens, it just seems weird that this event does nothing but support and validate their recent changes and actions(why didn't it happen a lot sooner?), it's like they are trying to PROVE something.

I've always been a Nintendo fangirl at heart but due to them being lazy the past few years I had switched to the PS3. Nintendo needs to take this an incentive this could be very productive for them if they would just step out of the box for once and stop regurgitating the same child safe crap and go into a bigger demographic which xbox and ps3 had the filled the niche for but do seem to be leaving a lot of butthurt fanboys behind with no where left to go besides the PC or Wii.

Looks like I'll be getting back into Super Smash Bros and Animal Crossing for my online gaming experience.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pop_science

Anon attacking was good cover
Anon's did it because the sony ops they planned failed so badly

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
www.vg247.com...

Supposed hacker chat-logs reveal PSN security lapses
A supposed chat log recorded from a discussion between PSN hackers has shown that data on the service wasn’t properly encrypted and that in the early days of PSN “you could see userpass, etc, plain”.

If this is real Sony is in trouble. The logs are at the link if you want to read them.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conciliatore
I think over 9000 users on the PSN are actualy crying

WHHHAAATTT!!!!! OVER 9000!?!?!?!?!?

and I am one of them. I honest to God did actually shed a tear yesterday when I tried unsuccesfully logging in for ten minutes straight, knowing the system was down anyways. I am going to go rent the new Mortal Kombat though to fill in the time. Thats one cool ass game.

I am literally dying without black ops online. At least it gave me time to work on my car. Replaced my distributor, my speed sensor, fuel filter and sparkplugs. I guess I'll start working on that backyard refinery I been wanting to build now for all the old gold jewelry I have been buying off people on the street. That way I can just pay off the balance on the card I used to get the cash sooner than I expected.

This may be productive downtime after all.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Why would hackers have there chat logs left available to the public like that? If they were able to hack one of the most secure networks on the planet I doubt they would be communicating over unsecure feeds to avoid being caught. Its obviously a set up this whole thing and whoever did it probably thought they could use anon as a decoy. The 128bit encryption on psn isn't easy t hack either in fact it has been dubbed many times impossible, so it seems to me that it was someone on the inside or someone with access to a super computer or a large network at there finger tips.

And that someone would be the best hacker on the planet or another corporation Suspects: LG, Nintendo, Microsoft, or someone in anon who thought they should play 'god' and go ahead with operation Sony, disregarding the opinions of the rest of the group.

Its also weird to me that some small law firm in California that no one has heard of would just stand up and decide to take on a multi-billion dollar, multi industry corporation within hours after the breach was confirmed without any evidence that any cash was lost or that the network security was faulty.

The question is, where did they get the info that Sony had a weak network encryption, who is telling them this?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Bleh I'm not too worried about my information getting stolen, I use a prepaid card anyhow, what benefit would these hackers actually have with your info anyways? If they use other peoples CC info or names they are just leaving themselves open to get caught from other entitiies.....

The downtime really does suck though especially since I bought 2 games a day before the shutdown... I'm hoping maybe Sony gives us some form of compensation in the form of a downloadable game or credit towards one, but I know they're too cheap to even do that......

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

I would think they aren't cheap since they have been providing you with free online services for a while now.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by shikori

At the cost of your private information being not very well protected, whether you realize it or not you are paying for the online service via DLC or even buying a game that runs on Sony servers they get a little piece of the pie but it's not in the form of a subscription service.....

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Heres a article from 2 months ago talking about the credit card problems with Sony.
arstechnica.com...

Original story: Sony has officially stated that anyone using hacked firmware or any sort of circumvention technology will have their console banned for life from the PlayStation Network, but how does the company know when such a console logs in? One person claims to have broken into the PlayStation Network, and what he has found is rather shocking. If his findings are accurate, your credit card information is being sent to Sony as an unencrypted text file, and Sony is watching every single thing you do with your system, keeping detailed records all the while.

"Sony is the biggest spy ever... they collect so much data. All connected devices return values sent to Sony's servers," the hacker said. He claims that Sony knows what controllers you're using, what USB devices are plugged in, what sort of television you're using—everything. Here's another section of the chat log:

user2: another funny function i found is regarding psn downloads
user2: its when a pkg game is requested from the store
user2: in the url itself you can define if you get the game free or not. requires some modification in hashes and so on tho
user3: ..
user2: is like
user8:

user3: my god
user2: drm
ff
That's not all: your credit card information is apparently being sent as an unencrypted text file. This is how the code is being sent to Sony:

creditCard.paymentMethodId=VISA&creditCard.holderName=Max&creditCard.cardNumber=45581234567812345678&creditCard.expireYear=2012&creditCard.expireMonth =2&creditCard.securityCode=214&creditCard.address.address1=example street%2024%20&creditCard.address.city=city1%20&creditCard.address.province=abc%20&creditCard.address.postalCode=12345%20

And heres the chat log from February 16.

pastie.org...

So how long has Sony been hacked?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
Got to love the anon shills trying to turn this on sony

You don't have to be an "anon shill" to blame this on sony.people have known psn was broken for a long time.The mainstream never cared because their cod and gta4 worked.
If you wan't to blame someone blame microsoft for being badass and forcing sony to push ps3 out the door.They cut corners to compete with xbl and now it's coming back on them.

#29LOLshock94 27/04/11, 2:55 pm [user2] fake certs are known since years as vuln so companies encrypt such data twice normally [user2] but hey its sony –> its a feature

LMFAO

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Any word when this will be back up and running? I gota have my Bad Company 2 fix.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
If this stays down for one more week, I might have to lock and load and play Call of Duty on the streets. How else are us men supposed to get our violent tendacies out of our system damnit? Cuz sex only goes so far...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
wait few days while they pin it on anonymous...
i guess anons are partialy responsible cause of thier loose tongues - in case of regular people who read thier op channels. they do not imagine that while they would not harm the user (they stated they will leave psn alone just smack the store down iirc) some other 3rd party might use thier findings and mask him self in a fricking massive connection spam.

im no hacker but i see how that could happen

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thatonedude

That chat log is just all around sketchy and has been redacted so much as to be worthless and it's talking about hacked firmware, I believe, so I would like to see someone sniffing this same data from a playstation running legit firmware, which would be more of a problem than user error. If this case turns out to be down to something so utterly retarded then sony will get hit hard in court, the bank account and public relations, like it should be.

Do you get warned every time your bank gets attacked?

EDIT - http:///eFE2kKHe - the log
edit on 28-4-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
reply to post by thatonedude

That chat log is just all around sketchy and has been redacted so much as to be worthless and it's talking about hacked firmware, I believe, so I would like to see someone sniffing this same data from a playstation running legit firmware, which would be more of a problem than user error. If this case turns out to be down to something so utterly retarded then sony will get hit hard in court, the bank account and public relations, like it should be.

Do you get warned every time your bank gets attacked?

Look if sony did their job right in the first place this wouldn't have happened.You don't need a chat log to see that.You gotta love the sony fanboys trying to turn this on anyone else CAUSE IT IS SONY"S FAULT.And furthermore it's the fanboys doing the so called "hacking".So what you are saying is freedom is great until I have to sacrifice gaming for it.The question you should be asking is >What did sony do to upset the consumer bad enough to boycott their beloved ps3 and attack psn WITHOUT orders from anon or anyone for that matter.<

ETA-Sony has legit firmware???????whodathunkit lmao
edit on 28-4-2011 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2011 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join