It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Issues Warning of Solar Superstorm 2012 - "One Billion Could Die!"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RainboStar

...Cause its Bull.
Cant wait for nothing to happen in 2012 lol.
I will be laughing for years

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Michio Kaku and Alex Jones should join forces with Palin. It would be good if we could round them and their ilk all up and keep them in the same place....a nice coastal village in Northen Japan comes to mind.....

I think the human race has been obliterated quite a few times since I've been on ATS...seeing the sun rise every morning after a night of dreams of world annihilation is a real shock to the system!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
While some scientists have suggested that governments take steps to harden the power grid, satellites, and other systems against solar flares because the next cycle is expected by some to very dramatic and potentially disruptive, I can find nothing from NASA itself that would suggest it is their official stance that vast numbers of people will die. In fact, the only thing I can find on NASA's site anywhere sounds downright nonchalant.

Q: Is there a danger from giant solar storms predicted for 2012?
A: Solar activity has a regular cycle, with peaks approximately every 11 years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption of satellite communications, although engineers are learning how to build electronics that are protected against most solar storms. But there is no special risk associated with 2012. The next solar maximum will occur in the 2012-2014 time frame and is predicted to be an average solar cycle, no different than previous cycles throughout history.

www.nasa.gov...

I'm not making any assertions as to the veracity of reasons for being concerned, but I can't find anywhere where NASA says "one billion could die."

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

Yea the one in Sterlington had an accident a while back. I just remember it shattered the windows out of a barber shop 5 miles away. If it gets that bad then I'll make my way to Sicily Island and die under the only waterfall I've ever seen. It's got about a 3 foot fall

A little off topic but what did the Mayans start their long count calendar from? Maybe it started on the day of a giant solar storm and ends with one. Just a thought. Now I'm going to go read and debunk myself.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CUJOCREEP

Not everybody is like that in the world. There are good people in the world. The good people are blinded by the evils of the world.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
NASA has cautioned about the possibility of effects on the grid but it has not made any such mega disaster claims.
NASA link please!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Here is an article from NASA that puts the possibility into perspective.

science.nasa.gov...

Back in 1859 the invention of the telegraph was only 15 years old and society's electrical framework was truly in its infancy. A 1994 solar storm caused major malfunctions to two communications satellites, disrupting newspaper, network television and nationwide radio service throughout Canada. Other storms have affected systems ranging from cell phone service and TV signals to GPS systems and electrical power grids. In March 1989, a solar storm much less intense than the perfect space storm of 1859 caused the Hydro-Quebec (Canada) power grid to go down for over nine hours, and the resulting damages and loss in revenue were estimated to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

"The question I get asked most often is, 'Could a perfect space storm happen again, and when?'" added Tsurutani. "I tell people it could, and it could very well be even more intense than what transpired in 1859. As for when, we simply do not know," he said.

But, hey, of all the 2012 dooms day scenarios, I think this one is the most likely. Then again, I don't think it will be nearly as bad as advertised. Maybe all the chips around the planet will be fried, but tech savvy people will figure out how to bypass those chips in short order. Then again, perfect solar storms may be more rare than caldera eruption. We simply do not know.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

Looks kind of bad.
Luckily, the Greys will step in and shield the Earth and the magnetosphere when it heads our way.
Sleep well.
--------------------------
BTW, you could buy a decommissioned missile silo if you want peace of mind. Fill it with
Campbell soup.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
NASA doesn't have to say "One Billion Will Die" for it to still be true. Anyone who can't fathom this is either completely ignorant on the balance of human society, or is in complete denial. An EMP doesn't even have to come from the sun. How about a manmade atmospheric EMP?

The strong electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that results has several components. In the first few tens of nanoseconds, about a tenth of a percent of the weapon yield appears as powerful gamma rays with energies of one to three mega-electron volts (MeV, a unit of energy). The gamma rays rain down into the atmosphere and collide with air molecules, depositing their energy to produce huge quantities of positive ions and recoil electrons (also known as Compton electrons). The impacts create MeV-energy Compton electrons that then accelerate and spiral along the Earth's magnetic field lines. The resulting transient electric fields and currents that arise generate electromagnetic emissions in the radio frequency range of 15 to 250 megahertz (MHz, or one million cycles per second). This high-altitude EMP occurs between 30 and 50 kilometers above the Earth's surface. The potential as an anti-satellite weapon became apparent in August 1958 during Hardtack Teak. The EMP observed at the Apia Observatory at Samoa was four times more powerful than any created by solar storms, while in July 1962 the Starfish Prime test damaged electronics in Honolulu and New Zealand (approximately 1,300 kilometers away), fused 300 street lights on Oahu (Hawaii), set off about 100 burglar alarms, and caused the failure of a microwave repeating station on Kauai, which cut off the sturdy telephone system from the other Hawaiian islands [1]. The radius for an effective satellite kill for the various prompt radiations produced by such a nuclear weapon in space was determined to be roughly 80 km. Further testing to this end was carried out, and embodied in a Department of Defense program, Program 437.

This was a small scale test. There are talks of atmospheric EMPs being used as WMDs between warring nations. Whether it originates from the sun in the form of some CME, or its the result of a high atmospheric nuclear explosion, an EMP is inevitable. A 04.2 megaton nuke would blanket the US with an EMP that would wipe out almost all civilian electronics. We currently have nukes that yield as high as 57.0 megatons.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

The high voltage transformers holding the power grid together are worth their weight in gold.
If the power grids go down all over the world, then more than 1 billion will die.
The economies will collapse. When the violence starts it's hard to say when it would stop.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
NASA has said no such thing. Michio does not work for NASA. He said no such thing as "one billion could die" either. He said "we need to start creating back-up systems for the satellites and other things that could be affected by peaking solar activity around 2013."

NASA has had us under a solar storm warning since 2006. You can read about "solar cycle 24" on their website.

All of these fear-mongering, alarmist youtube videos that say they are from NASA are not actually from NASA. Anyone can take the NASA logo and put it in their video to make it seem official, just like "anyone" can create UFO hoaxes.

science.nasa.gov...
edit on 26-4-2011 by semicolonsmile because: added link

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Oh yea. (yawn). One billion of us are going to die...(again)
I tell you one thing: If harm comes to anybody, we must not look at the sun. The culprit will be else where. Maybe even in NASA.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wow, I hope no one is really stressing about this. Scientists can't even accuratly give you the weather for tomorrow. All they are saying is that we have pretty low activity and they think we are overdue for one. That doesn't mean this "superstorm" is going to happen. Don't believe everything you read online. Anyone can type an article online and put NASA next to it.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon
Uhm...if there is one thing we learned lately: Nuclear Power Plants - Power = Not Good Generators won´t help for long,since there are no Cars to refuel them...and no Control of the Plant because every Computer got fried...

And for People who come in and say "So what? It happened in the Past,and we are still here,nothing to worry about..." Did we have Microchips controlling everything the last Time?

Didn´t think so...

This is the real threat, the nuv plants, they will all go and have run away reactors, we are mostly all near one because even though the public did not want more and more of them they built them anyway...so here we are.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

well, that's one way to kill 90% of the people in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if the Globalist did that.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CarlitosAmsel

What happened to the Moderators? Nasa issued no such warning....Why isn't this in the Hoax bin where it belongs?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

It's all HYPE there getting everyone hyped up for 2012 TPTB probably started this rumor to begin with i mean damn they made a movie about it...they have somethin planned for 2012 becuase all you people really think something is goin to happen so its the perfect time to make something happen and majority of the people will fall for it...but not me

Still is a big possibility for a huge solar storm like that but im just sayin
edit on 26-4-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Did the movie the knowing predict this "solarstorm" that kills billions??

It's near the end of the video!

Something about this screams false flag!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
2012 is a hoax! Now bare with me for a minute, i am going to show 2 videos of evidence of which only shows you about a decimal in the cosmos of proof that our government is only trying to depopulate is to control us. The whole alien invasions, 2012 Mayan calender, solar storms, and galactic alignment, etc...is a hoax. do the research and i mean really research it. and you tell me if im wrong?

just think about this.....remember the swine flu hype that the main stream media put out to panic the public to go out and get there vaccine?....now its starting about the ufo's!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
all is well humans I suggest you buy any decent field guide and spend the time getting fit - if all computers are fried for awhile it's time to homestead some empty land

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join