It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Issues Warning of Solar Superstorm 2012 - "One Billion Could Die!"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by Shenon
Uhm...if there is one thing we learned lately: Nuclear Power Plants - Power = Not Good Generators won´t help for long,since there are no Cars to refuel them...and no Control of the Plant because every Computer got fried...

And for People who come in and say "So what? It happened in the Past,and we are still here,nothing to worry about..." Did we have Microchips controlling everything the last Time?

Didn´t think so...

This is the real threat, the nuv plants, they will all go and have run away reactors, we are mostly all near one because even though the public did not want more and more of them they built them anyway...so here we are.

To right you are. Has anyone even seen a map of all the nuclear reactors worldwide? Bit alarming if a solar flare caused all electricity to cease and that would throw all the dice in the air at the same time, but each dice represents a nuclear reactor and the dice number represents the odds of the reactor reaching meltdown eventually...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Too much crying of "Wolf". Every time someone posts and cries about an end of the world conspiracy or some such... Or perhaps a several thousand year old calendar that possibly points one out, thousands of people who subconsciously want to be right and have a large helping of "I told you so" come on the various sites and seem to really hope for the end, just to say, "I told you so".

The end, when if finally does come is, I'm relatively certain, going to be as much a surprise to everyone as it will be to me. And, anyway... Other than sitting at a keyboard and wanting to say, "I told you so", what does anyone think they can do. If the crap hits the fan enough to kill billions, there's not going to be much of anything that one person can do about it.

No use getting your knickers in a twist over an inevitability... We all gotsta die someday.
... Or at least I think so, unless all the religious folks are right and the second coming occurs... Say... That's a possibility that doesn't appear to have been mentioned yet. Is that a possibility????

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by csgt428
reply to post by CarlitosAmsel

What happened to the Moderators? Nasa issued no such warning....Why isn't this in the Hoax bin where it belongs?

It's not a hoax.

6 page article at Sky and Telescope.
It happened before. September 2, 1859
Not much of a power grid back then BUT the telegraph lines did fry.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CarlitosAmsel
Oh yea. (yawn). One billion of us are going to die...(again)
I tell you one thing: If harm comes to anybody, we must not look at the sun. The culprit will be else where. Maybe even in NASA.

If the sun throws a CME our way that destroys our technological capabilities, it still wouldn't be the sun that destroys us. The deaths will come from manmade nuclear reactors, from starvation, and the inability to manufacture medicine for the tens of millions who are dependent on it. As the saying goes; it isn't the fall that kills you, its the sudden stop at the end. The same applies here. An EMP isn't dangerous to us, our society afterwards is.

Not directed at you CarlitosAmsel, but those of you who scoff at YouTube videos talking about solar flares, and then show proof that 2012 is a hoax via YouTube videos?.........
Wowwww
I don't think anyone here is really sweating the likelihood of an EMP strike, manmade or otherwise, but to deny their ability to occur all together is naive. I'm not saying "Here comes 2012! LOOK OUT!", but I am saying that with a 4 day warning should the sun decide to start acting up, there's not a lot of time for stocking up for such an event. Once news hits, if its released at all, the store shelves will empty in hours.
edit on 26-4-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sigung86

Little off topic. But can only imagine that whoever doesn't like certain things be posted, than would constantly flood forums/threads with off-topic subjects, etc. Or to have the occasional "stomping" going on, where it happens "online".

I don't enjoy informing people about events that would be considered catastrophic but I would feel wrong if I didn't. For the more people that are aware of upcoming events are more people that at least have the knowledge of possible upcoming events so they can plan/prepare/stock on items/materials/objects needed for what is to come.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

Oh! Good point! The Fukushima Problem - back up power for the nuclear reactors for cooling.
Find a way to - shield - all of those back up generators from the CME direct hit!
We don't need radiation flying all over the place.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
People are correct that NASA does not have to say it for it to be true. (I'm not saying it is true, mind you. It is within the realm of possibility, but no one has asserted for a fact - with proof - that it will happen.) However, NASA does have to have said it for the title of this thread to be correct. I can find nowhere where NASA said this.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
Yet in the below video David Morisson from NASA says that there is no threat from a solar flare.

So who is making this up?

It seems to me that Michio Kaku is always talking about extreme possibilities, once again he says perhaps......This guy is losing more and more credibility in my opinion. Dr Doom.

Check out the video around 2.45mins, who do you believe?

edit on 25-4-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

Ok the guy in the video had me kinda...well until he said alignments have no affect on us...and that planetary alignments are not a concern for scientists....ummm WTF if the MOON AFFECTS US(HIGH/LOW TIDE), how can he expect to be taken seriously with a statement that alignments have no affect....LOL HE IS UNEDUCATED IN ALIGNMENTS, OR LYING OUT HIS ARSE!!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RainboStar
You'll never see this on CNN.

Actually, the msm has brought him on repeatedly for years now to give the warnings and discussions of the 2012 storms predictions.

Most of us whom are repeatedly trying to dismiss the 2012 nonsense are trying to bring up the actual issue of 12, which will be the solar activity...however, like any good disinfo campaign, the truth is being weighed down with all sorts of nonsense, making the entire subject ridiculed if you even mention the year.

Sad really...if people die from the solar storms, I say punch some "year of nibiru" in the head and blame them for making the topic itself become rediculous to the point of full dismissal.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I am amazed at the "comfort" with human ability to function. "Billions will die" may be speculation yet not far from the truth:

The loss of electricity would ripple across the social infrastructure with "water distribution affected within several hours; perishable foods and medications lost in 12-24 hours; loss of heating/air conditioning, sewage disposal, phone service, fuel re-supply and so on."

Severe Space Weather

Most humans can not even make a meal without a microwave and have only let go of communication long enough to charge the battery. Most humans have no clue how to store cold foods without electricity or what to do when they need to take a pee. With so many mothers choosing not to breastfeed infant food supplies would be at high risk. Individuals on breathing machines would not even see it coming if this happened at night. If GPS goes out and the pilot only kind of knows how to fly, guess who's going down. Not to mention all of the electronic cars could suffer from immediate issues resulting in additional accidents. Even if the power is only out for a few days people will panic and become desperate. We had a power outage for three days two years back and I was far from impressed on how people reacted. There is nothing wrong or "crazy" about having survival skills or even learning more about what you can do to self preserve so I would love for people to lighten up a little.

That being said there are of course the nuclear plants but what about the facilities that keep harbored diseases dormant...what happens to that, which virus strands will be safe without electricity. We built our comfort in a glass house on a fault line in tornado alley.

There is nothing wrong with being prepared to save your family and loved ones, better to be crazy than sorry.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
People are correct that NASA does not have to say it for it to be true. (I'm not saying it is true, mind you. It is within the realm of possibility, but no one has asserted for a fact - with proof - that it will happen.) However, NASA does have to have said it for the title of this thread to be correct. I can find nowhere where NASA said this.

My point exactly. The OP is attempting to lend credence to his thread by lying about his source. I am concerned about the vulnerability of our power grid to large CME's but the OP takes it to a whole new level when he starts lying about the source in his post. At the very least he should change the title of his thread and use REAL source material !! The last part of his title is fearmongering at its best as Nasa says this solar max will be an "average" one and nowhere mentions the possibility of "billions" dying!

edit on 26-4-2011 by csgt428 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I was under the impression kaku withdrew his statements about a potential major catastrophe involving solar flares etc after new data came forward. That is not to say it is impossible, i don't think we have enough information over a prolonged period of time to say decisively when the sun starts getting very nasty, pointless thing to worry about though....the universe is a chaotic and dangerous place, we are lucky to have had such relative calm for quite a while.
edit on 26-4-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
Yet in the below video David Morisson from NASA says that there is no threat from a solar flare.

So who is making this up?

It seems to me that Michio Kaku is always talking about extreme possibilities, once again he says perhaps......This guy is losing more and more credibility in my opinion. Dr Doom.

Check out the video around 2.45mins, who do you believe?

edit on 25-4-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

Both, but on different ends of the spectrum
Michio is of course riding the fear wave of possibility...this guy is on the "nothing to see here" side of life.

Both are possible, right now its still alot of guesswork, however both are answering properly...caution dictates to have backup plans for if/when the power grids start wonking out. yes, being blown back to the 18th century due to not having spare parts at the ready would certainly cause many deaths, I am not sure if billions is necessarily true.

I think the government should error on caution and have a plan to get grids back up and running with redundancy as soon as possible in such cases, along with delivery systems to emergency launch new communication satellites should many of ours fry out.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarBeyondDriven69
I tried to find a NASA story for the OP but I found that NASA has released this before several times
2003: science.nasa.gov...
2006: www.nasa.gov...
Fox News 2009: www.youtube.com...
Anyway you get the point

Lol Thanks.
So its another empty scare.
Hope Mito Kaku can see your post. Wonder if hes an ats member

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This would do to All the nuclear reactors world wide.
in a city with no power = no sewers.
diseases would kill millions.
most people would scatter all over.
like locus and eat and kill ever thing.
the army would Have to kill ANY
one who stepped out of line.
only feed you if you have a value.
can you feed your self?
NO shops.
can you feed your self with 1000+ people steeling your food?
It will be hell!
so you best pray or believe it will not happen.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Pass the bong and gimme a beer...It's going to be one hell of a show and...If it does not happen...At least I'll have a bong and some beers....No loose situation !

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
They've said this already. I think they really have no idea and are probably going off of what the Mayans say.

The ancient Mayans made all these predictions about astrological events and what would happen in certain months of that time. Today man is trying to put this all together and think about what could possibly happen. They are telling us that one billion could die...from a mass power outage? But that doesn't make sense b/c of all of the resources we have. Could we not make batteries? Would Solar Panals not work? I believe the amt of casualties is correct but the cause is incorrect. Usually when mass amts of people die its not due to lack of electricity its due to natural catastrophes beyond our control.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

Obama is shutting down NASA. NASA now needs a reason to be. Who will monitor and advise about such an event? You put it together.

Even if it happens, if you are here reading this now, you are not among the elite, you're screwed!

On a lighter note, this will likely not happen and NASA will be saved. Oops, no doom and gloom. High fives all around.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
While some scientists have suggested that governments take steps to harden the power grid, satellites, and other systems against solar flares because the next cycle is expected by some to very dramatic and potentially disruptive, I can find nothing from NASA itself that would suggest it is their official stance that vast numbers of people will die. In fact, the only thing I can find on NASA's site anywhere sounds downright nonchalant.

Q: Is there a danger from giant solar storms predicted for 2012?
A: Solar activity has a regular cycle, with peaks approximately every 11 years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption of satellite communications, although engineers are learning how to build electronics that are protected against most solar storms. But there is no special risk associated with 2012. The next solar maximum will occur in the 2012-2014 time frame and is predicted to be an average solar cycle, no different than previous cycles throughout history.

www.nasa.gov...

I'm not making any assertions as to the veracity of reasons for being concerned, but I can't find anywhere where NASA says "one billion could die."

www.dailytelegraph.com.au...
As The Daily Telegraph recently observed: “National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power…”

Experts on the sun are very concerned as they see the sun awaking from its unusually long slumber with a violence unseen for generations. That violence could be in the form of mammoth magnetic storms. Those storms hitting the Earth will be like a giant’s fist slamming into the fragile electronic technology that runs the world. Hurricanes, earthquakes and tsunamis pale by comparison.

“We know it is coming but we don’t know how bad it is going to be,” Dr Richard Fisher, the director of NASA’s Heliophysics division, said in an interview with The Daily Telegraph. “It will disrupt communication devices such as satellites and car navigation, air travel, the banking system, our computers, everything that is electronic. It will cause major problems for the world. “
A menacing electronic Doomsday

A giant solar superstorm would lead to martial law, mass starvation and eventual societal collapse.

“Systems will just not work. The flares change the magnetic field on the earth that is rapid and like a lightning bolt. That is the solar affect,” Fisher added.

Since the sun’s last upheaval caused worldwide disruption and destruction in 1859, civilization has rapidly advanced a society based on a technological infrastructure that can be whisked away in moments by a severe geomagnetic storm.

During 2008, the National Academy of Sciences issued a dire report: “Severe Space Weather Events—Societal and Economic Impacts.” The report outlined, in excruciating detail, the potential demise of America’s 21st Century technological base—and the resulting havoc to the economy and society.

The US would be slammed into an electronic Doomsday.

That gloomy report went under-reported and unheeded by the governments of the world. Now NASA is desperately trumpeting the danger and still most politicians turn deaf ears towards the warning and blind eyes towards the angry sun.

How severe is the threat?

People in the first world countries rely heavily upon technologies at risk from solar storms—a technology that runs financial systems, electrical power grids, water plants, air travel, farming, transportation, GPS navigation of aircraft and sea going vessels…even the daily operation of government at all levels.

During a solar superstorm most communication will be blasted out of existence; power will fail. Cities will be left without light and water and food will run out. Civil unrest will surge as society collapses in a matter of days. The US federal and state governments will be hard-pressed to restore order amongst 300 million people as mass starvation sets in and sources of fresh water dwindle.

One billion could die
www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

Maybe right maybe wrong///////WHAT IF?
edit on 4/26/11 by awcgs because: update

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

Obama is shutting down NASA.

Really? Thats news to me.

You got a source to back up such a bold claim?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join