It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supporters plan Leavenworth rally for WikiLeaks soldier

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Supporters plan Leavenworth rally for WikiLeaks soldier

www.kansascity.com

Activists are planning a rally in June in Leavenworth to support an Army private who's accused of leaking classified documents in the WikiLeaks scandal.

Organizers posted online that they were planning a rally on June 4 in support of Pfc. Bradley Manning, who was moved to Fort Leavenworth on Wednesday from a Marine brig in Quantico, Va.

Read more: www.kansascity.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
edit on 4/23/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Title...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I live within easy distance to attend/view this protest. I think I may go, even if just to witness the activists.

Lawrence, Kansas is the home of the Jayhawks of March Madness fame and lies between Topeka and Kansas City. There is a long history of student "uprising" in that town regarding questionable government policy and action - for instance, the student union was set on fire in the 1970 (see link to article as reported a year ago).

This should be very interesting, in my opinion, and I look forward to it, though I have never in my half-century of life attended any kind of 'protest' before. I am not condoning or condemning Manning's actions, but in the light of Obama's "Transparency" policy I believe it will be worth a day's time.

And, no, they don't have the electric chair here.

Anyone interested in bringing an ATS contingent (incognito or not), feel free to let me know.

www.kansascity.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
So, mass un-employment. Rising food and energy prices and this is what people are doing with their time?
This truly has become a mad world.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Good point, my friend. I have been unable to find work for over a year now, and my spouse was just "un-contracted" as an IT consultant - hopeful that the firm can find a new placement asap. I think perhaps that people are weary - as in, sick and tired - of worrying and fretting, and that these sorts of diversions are a way of distracting themselves from the dire reality of every day stress.

We make ends meet, but only just, and we do have a tiny amount saved back - we are preparing for worst-case survival (spouse is a veteran, btw, fully trained in survival and defensive preparedness) with food, water, etc.

Provided the situation doesn't go all the he[[ before this June event, and given that it's to be held in a park miles away from the Fort itself, I wonder if it's simply a gathering of upset folks giving voice to their upsettedness (new word there). A free city-band concert in a gazebo just doesn't seem to cut it for folks anymore. Sad, indeed, and quite mad.

But there are just so many issues to choose from! Some times I just tune it all out and carry on with my yard work and chores and pets and property upkeep as though nothing at all will change much. Like in the days before the internet, when catastrophes happened with frequency, but, well, we just didn't know about it. The info highway is rather frightening if travelled too often!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Yeah man, don't they America has an economy to build? So what if a few soldiers trying to tell the truth are tortured and mistreated?

damn protesters trying to stop the govermet from silencing truth. Trying to fight for rights which every generation has done so far. Idiots, absolute idiots.

Yeah, anyway i agree, please stop fighting the goverment and let them continue to profit through war and corruption.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

He committed multiple crimes. He is a military member. Crimes fall under the UCMJ.
I have no pity for him. He knew what he was doing was a crime and seems smart enough to have thought out the outcome from his actions.

Again, protests?
Don't these people have jobs to work and responsibilities other then protesting?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Protests make people aware. YOu know, allows for freedom and such like?

Ghandi? Martin Luther King? Emily Davison here in the UK?

Protest works.

I never said i disagreed with you.

AMERICCCA **** YEAH.
edit on 22/4/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Take a camera. Or better yet take few and audio recorders also. I have a feeling you might get some newsworthy material. Also should warn you that if something happens they might actually target you because of that but then you can sue them to high heavens.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Oh, by all means protest.
I have never gone to, nor do I plan on going to a protest.
I don't need protests to educate me, I can do that on my own.

Never said it was the wrong thing to do, just that people seem to have their priorities out of whack.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

You do recall taking an oath to defend this country from enemies both foreign and domestic correct? And if his " leaking " of information proves, ( which we all seen the videos etc) that our own powers betrayed the peoples trust, and those involved with murder would be deemed tyrants and enemies of the state. Would that not classify that as a domestic enemy? He should be freed, and branded a hero. The truth will set us free, something that the " brass " can't afford.

Remember one key thing......the code

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I don't think Bradely Manning is going to be set free anytime soon. Why should the military abide to the demands of any protest in this case when they've done this to thousands of detainees in the past? They will continue to get away with it because they know they can and they have the approval of the White House.
That young man is not going to come out of this in one piece.
edit on 22-4-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Let me guess.. You're a military man?
And you're lecturing on personal priorities...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

And it begins.

Ok, doing the right thing the wrong way is still wrong.
He knowingly committed crimes, period.
Just because someone steals a loaf of bread to feed their hungry family does not negate the fact that they stole.
What part of that is difficult to understand?
Was what he did patriotic? I don't know yet, time will be the judge.
Should he have gone about releasing the info differently? Yes.
Is the Fed Govt involved with illegal activities? Yes.
Is it good that these things have been brought to light? Again, I don't know. Some yes, some no.
Was what he did still a crime, yes.
Will he become a martyr? Probably.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DISINFORMANT

Was in the military.
Lecturing? No.
What does that have to do with Manning committing crimes?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The man is a true patriot, defending against domestic enemies...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

You and I have had discussions on this very topic. Good to see you again. Hope all is well for you.
While he may be a patriot, he is still subject to the rules and laws in place for military members.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

He committed multiple crimes...
...He knew what he was doing was a crime and seems smart enough to have thought out the outcome from his actions...

Source this or retract this statement. When was he convicted? What proof is there against him?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Just exactly what crime did he commit? Theft of the material? Misdemeanor.

As opposed to a helicopter mowing down innocent people. What would you classify that as, petty?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

You know, it's funny you should bring that up about targeting me. When I heard they were bringing him to this area I pondered the possibility of getting on his visitor list, doing an interview or something with him. Would be very interesting to talk to him in person.

I wonder what motivated him to do what he did. I haven't followed the story word for word, but it seems to me that Wikileaks should be held accountable for accepting the information from him in the first place, and for publishing it in the second place. It was not PFC Manning who sent it viral, to my knowledge.

And alas, if only we really did have knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes, would the world not be a better place for it? Political intrigues have always been with us, among the powerful, in every culture known to modern history. While I do understand one team's strategy being revealed to the other team as unsportsmanlike conduct in a sport rivalry, top-secret government doings are a whole 'nuther matter.

Perhaps the gov should consider that famous rule of thumb - "DON'T WRITE DOWN ANYTHING YOU WOULD NOT WANT EVERYONE TO SEE."

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Yeah well here we can disagree then. There's nothing that can be held against WL or JA in the matter. There is no crime of publishing. Freedom of the press and all

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join