It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone need a good Job??

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Or a healthy population based on the consumption of Junk food.

There's no such thing as junk food. There are, however, junk diets.

You are incorrect. I was a nursing student and am very well versed in nutrition, empty calories= junk food. Food devoid of vitamins, minerals, protein, or other needed supplements = junk food. Food that is all saturated fat= junk food. That's Junk Food. Junk Diets do exist, in that the person only eats previously mentioned junk foods.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuyInTheKnow

Hiring day Craziness

Man, wtf was that! What kind of world are we living in? Geez, that just took my hope for humanity back a few steps. Wow! Is that a reflection of desperation or just plain stupidity with those idiots driving the car?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by ldyserenity

Your nursing background aside, I disagree. If it's food, it's food. Some is better than other. Anything to excess is bad. You can die from too much water.

There's a political agenda at work there as well. It's a control thing. If you can get something classified as "junk" you can start justifying controls for it and increased taxes for it.

"Junk" is a subjective term when it comes to food.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Reply to post by yeahright

I agree. All foods have their positive and negative sides. It's really an issue of portions and control.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I want to take a minute to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread for their responses...

They were almost exactly what I had predicted, taking into account the prevailing attitude compared to the attitudes of a generation ago..

I'm from a "generation ago" and even then we viewed people that worked fast food as something "less than" those of us that roughnecked on rigs, framers, or any entry level job working hard labor and getting your hands dirty.
Yeah, it was a macho thing; and it still is.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

Fair enough. Those jobs today are few and far between. If someone doesn't have access to a manual labor job opportunity, or for other reasons is incapable of doing a job like that and instead they take an available job at McDonalds, you look down on them for that?

What if they need a secondary source of income? Maybe a day laborer pulls a couple of shifts at Mickey D's a couple of nights a week. Does that nullify some of the "macho" from the day gig? Or are the real macho guys the ones who do what's necessary and honest regardless of what someone else might think?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

Fair enough. Those jobs today are few and far between. If someone doesn't have access to a manual labor job opportunity, or for other reasons is incapable of doing a job like that and instead they take an available job at McDonalds, you look down on them for that?

I don't look down on anyone anymore like I did as a youth. With maturity comes a perspective that isn't so influenced by testosterone and fear of what others might think. Still the comparisons are bound to exist as most of us are still judged by what we do, rather than what we ARE. I'm not saying it's right but also with maturity comes a perspective based in reality and an awareness of how a culture actually operates.
edit on 20-4-2011 by whaaa because: ivy and change
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by ThatGuyInTheKnow

Hiring day Craziness

Man, wtf was that! What kind of world are we living in? Geez, that just took my hope for humanity back a few steps. Wow! Is that a reflection of desperation or just plain stupidity with those idiots driving the car?

I know its a pretty pathetic display of over doing it, they manager got ran over because he denied the man a minimum wage job.. hope others get a chance to check out the video

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I'm not saying it's right but also with maturity comes a perspective based in reality and an awareness of how a culture actually operates.

Okay so you're saying society and our culture as a whole views the people who work at McDonald's or WalMart out of necessity as lesser beings, you just don't happen to be one of them.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Some of the posts I have read in this thread are exactly what is wrong in this world...people feel they are too superior to work at a burger joint. It's just beneath them. I just can't imagine being that stuck up, although I see it all around me. The laziness and the attitude that everyone owes you something just because you exist is so annoying to me. Sure, I have a pretty decent job right now, but earlier in life I flipped tacos at Taco Bell instead of burgers at McD's. I did my three years in the army and I have had my share of "menial" jobs where I had to kiss the a$$ of someone I didn't like at all in order to put food in my family's mouths. I just don't understand how so many people are "too good" to work in fast food, but are perfectly fine receiving government hand outs. You can spout off all you want to about values or morals or whatever lame excuse you want to, but it really all boils down to laziness and/or being stuck up...no one on this planet is "above" serving another human being.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

For the record. My grandmother was a waitress for probably 50 years. Anytime I see an older person working a menial job, I have instant respect for that person. It is a shame that life's circumstances have put them into a position to make such a hard living at an advanced age. It is respectable, and commendable that they are willing and able to make an honest buck to get by.

It is so disappointing and frustrating for me to see and hear people whine about their aches and pains, and wish they could be on disability. There are a couple of people working in my department that are blind, or missing limbs, and yet they get up and make it to work everyday!! Then I see other people that look physically healthy, but they are getting disability checks because they are alcoholics, or they are obese, or they have a phobia of social situations? RIDICULOUS!!

Anyone that gets out and does an honest days work for an honest buck deserves our utmost respect!! Anybody that wishes to disrespect that honest worker, better choose their audience carefully.
edit on 20-4-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I'm not saying it's right but also with maturity comes a perspective based in reality and an awareness of how a culture actually operates.

Okay so you're saying society and our culture as a whole views the people who work at McDonald's or WalMart out of necessity as lesser beings, you just don't happen to be one of them.

Precisely, but as a proud member of a "counter culture" I do still have predjudices [pre judge] as do we all; Including you. Absolute rationality is a rare commodity in our species. We are not saints....we claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by smokeythabear

no it won't, at McDonalds most employees work for next to nothing. If you pay rent, you'll be lucky to get past finding something to eat and will probably end up eating discounted mcdonalds crap, then a few years down the line you are dead from all the nasty chemicals their food is comprised of. This is a slave job; it does nothing to help people out. I could have built my own roof over my head and it wouldn't have taken a lifetime of working in mcsurf's to never achieve. When the proportion of home owners to renters changes to an ever increasing load of renters you know that your society is just being outright swindled. Let's start paying attention to some obvious facts, corporations like this are a plague on society. Slave labour employers should be boycotted, period.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

dude there is a difference between willing and having no other choice. I don't think anybody is willing to work at a place like mcdonalds or wallmart until they've been utterly shattered by this retarded fascist system.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

Some of us remember when working in a burger joint used to be enough to get a house and have a family; but these jobs are for kids that don't pay rent that is how they are priced versus CPI. This is absolutely, positively slave labour, and when viewing how economic conditions induces people to become slaves it is clear that if you can't even make it past the clothing yourself step in life without hitting up a food bank, collecting welfare or ei, and without hitting a thrift store --> then that job is enslaving, plain and simple, any way you slice it. SLAVERY. Start thinking of these employers as what they really are, "slave drivers". I don't care how free of a market it is, they are paying people to work as slaves and dragging the quality of life below that which was when we were living out of caves (at least people had a chance to be free back then). Mcdonalds is scum, they need to cease to exist, this society is sick and disgusting and so is their food.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
reply to post by getreadyalready

dude there is a difference between willing and having no other choice. I don't think anybody is willing to work at a place like mcdonalds or wallmart until they've been utterly shattered by this retarded fascist system.

But those people are still making a decision to not be a helpless victim. They are taking charge of their circumstances and exerting some control over them. They are choosing to not be a burden on someone else, and instead do whatever they can do to help themselves survive.

What you say, might be true, but that makes it all the more honorable. There is never any shame in putting in a hard days work. Never.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
dude there is a difference between willing and having no other choice.

What is the difference?

There are always choices.

And that's the point of this thread, in my opinion. No one HAS to work at McDonald's. The other choices may include any number of things that are less attractive, if not less viable. People choose to work there because the other options are for them, worse. Others would rather commit self-mutilation than work there, if what is posted here is to be believed. I'm wagering the ones who feel the strongest about it probably have either no responsibility at all, or none to anyone but themselves. Or they're entitled in some form or fashion to live off the rest of us.

My point is that there's no shame, and nothing non-macho, about taking an honest job and working it to the best of your ability, no matter what it is. And shame on anyone who wants to look down on anyone else who's busting their butt to do what they need to do in this economy, even if it's standing behind a counter in a goofy hat and serving burgers.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.”

--Martin Luther King, Jr.

Societal Values Demean our Work & Worth

Our societal values make it difficult to honor so-called menial jobs. Our sick societal values esteem big bank accounts, fancy houses, new cars, extended paid vacations, prestigious jobs, beautiful, youthful looks, and perfectly cloned behaviors. These societal values wring the worth from the vast majority of hard-working folk.

Create your own values by looking for the honor and worth in your work now. Any honest day's work is honorable and worthy. Finding the honor and goodness in everything you do builds dignity and honor within you.

Even if you wanted to career change but instead returned to the field you had hoped to leave, remember, there is huge honor and courage in this. Taking care of your family and responsibilities does not mean you are a failure. It means you are a responsible, caring human being.

If you cannot find any worth in your current job, that lack of worth will likely haunt your career change. Before jumping jobs, seeking fulfillment elsewhere, consider your current job as sacred work.

Source

You see, if you don't take honor and pride and responsibility in the little things, why would anybody ever want to offer you something better? If you can't put forth an honest effort at a job like McDonalds, then why would anyone expect you to do any better at any other job?

It is a since of responsibility, and self-worth. It is a moral, and an ethic, and it is sorely lacking in today's worker!!

I once recruited am executive from a Lube Shop. No exaggeration, I used to get my oil changed, and this one clean-cut, energetic go-getter used to impress me every single time. Over a year later, I had a position that needed filled, and I went looking for that kid. I got my oil changed 6 times in one day, before I found him working as a manager at a new location. I offered him a job, doubled his salary, and he is still working for that corporation, making close to 6 figures. He went to work every day, and did his job to the best of his ability time after time after time.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
For denial of slave labor employment to accelerate into vehicular attack due to anger of NOT being hired should be a wake up call to TPTB that even such menial jobs as working at McD's won't cut it.

It's a battlefield out there. People are willing to do such things out of desperation. It shows that they are close to rock bottom if they aren't sitting there already.

McD's is just another excuse of a job to make people delude themselves into believing that they are contributing. Working as a waitress, which I have done, is a far better job than being a part of society that contributes to a society that will not wake up and realize that they are killing themselves eating that crap.

I'm sure that the politicos will find a way to twist all that has happened to fit into their agenda. But, working in a Fast Food Franchise is something I would not wish on anyone.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
McDonalds National Hiring Day

April 19th 2011

We believe the best people in the world work right here. And we believe you could be one of them. You’ve got enthusiasm, responsibility and drive. We’ve got flexible schedules, benefits and jobs that can turn into satisfying careers. It’s a perfect match.
April 19 is National Hiring Day.

McDonald’s and its franchisees are looking to hire up to 50,000 new employees. Do you have what it takes? Apply at your local McDonald’s today, or through the Restaurant Opportunities link below.

McDonalds

It is not easy work and you will be tired at the end of every day; but that has WONDERFUL rewards..

It also has competitive pay and benefits once you show you are going to stay for awhile...

I also personally know one manager that makes in excess of 100K having worked their way up from flipping burgers...

Semper

Your title said "good" job. That is misrepresenting your post. Working at McDonalds is NOT a good job. I worked there, over 20 years ago, as a manager and it sucked to high heaven. It sucked for me, for the employees for whom I tried to make things as tolerable as possible, but in the end, IT SUCKED. If you want a good job, the best chances are by getting an education, not "working your way up" because once you've "achieved" manager status at one of these crappy places, that's about it. There's not much room to go elsewhere except to another company.

I recommend going to school, studying to get into a profession, not a trade, if a person is so inclined. However, if academics is not for someone, the next best thing is a trade. Fast food is not the place for most people. If you like the business, however, go for it. Just don't expect much in any area.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join