It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida gun deaths suspect named as Shawn Tyson

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Florida gun deaths suspect named as Shawn Tyson

www.bbc.co.uk

A 16-year-old boy charged with the murders of two British holidaymakers in Florida has been named by detectives.

Shawn Tyson is due in court later charged with murdering James Kouzaris, 24, from Northampton, and James Cooper, 25, of Warwick.

The friends were found shot dead 50ft from each other in a street in the city of Sarasota early on Saturday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
When will the USA get over its primitive, fearful gun-toting culture ?

Here we have two British tourists who went to the wrong side of town, and got shot dead, largely due to the primitive gun culture in the US.

There is nowhere in Britain where the possibility of being shot in the 'wrong part of town' is a serious consideration.

It's about time the USA entered the 21st century, and stopped the opportunity for these needless murders.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 18-4-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: Shocking grammatical error !

+59 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Because in Britain, you get stabbed or jumped by hooligans.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+21 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

If it were not for guns it would be something else. Knives, baseball bats, tire irons, Molotov cocktails and for some even their bare hands are deadly weapons. It is not the weapon, it is the user of the weapon....get rid of the guns, something else will step up to the plate.

Must not live in fear.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Oh, and our guns will help us rid our country of tyranny when the people choose.

What will Britain do?

Read the link in my sign on the second ammendment.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
[mor

it's an utter shame that this happened to the two Brits while on holiday.
but they were killed by a criminal. a murderer who will hopefully be brought to justice.
our 'primitive' gun culture is not to blame. the actions of a sick individual are.
the vast, vast majority of gun owners in this country(not including those that come about them by illegal means)
are normal, hard working, folk who would never murder another human being.
criminals will come by firearms regardless of our gun laws. that is a fact.
horrible incidences like this will continue even if we turn from our 'primitive' ways. that is a fact.
who/what would be to blame then?
edit on 18-4-2011 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is a classic knee-jerk reaction.

While I surely do not agree with violence, I do agree with the others that have already replied. If it had not been guns, it would have been something else. We need to find the root of the problem. And that problem is that people want to hurt or kill other people. Perhaps it is caused from economics, bad role models, or just human nature. Wish I had the answer because then maybe I could do something to help.

And I also question what these two tourists were doing in such a "questionable" area. Perhaps they were looking for something that they should not have been ?

Local officers said it was "very unusual" to find tourists in the area, several miles from recognised tourist zones.

And to quote Robin Williams:

You know in England if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. So if you commit a crime: "Stop! Or, or I'll say stop again!"

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Here we have two British tourists who went to the wrong side of town, and got shot dead, largely due to the primitive gun culture in the US.

Really?

Because a friend of mine had her father and fiance murdered, and she barely survived a couple of weeks ago, and no gun was used.

Double Murder

Before that, the last murder was a Sunday School teacher that stopped on the side of the road with a flat, and she got murdered. Also no gun used, and the trial for Gary Hilton just ended.

Cheryl Dunlap Murder

How about the so-called "ninja murders" in Pensacola?
7 plan attack for 30 days before murdering couple.

Just because the gun was the weapon of choice for this crime, does not mean the gun is the problem. I would say the economy is the problem. Lack of education is the problem. Violence in general is the problem. The decline of the family unit is the problem. Two-income households are the problem. Lack of discipline in school is the problem. Mental Health fads from the 80's and 90's are the problem. Religion is the problem.

Blaming the cliche gun rights is always an easy target for those that don't want to look any deeper and figure out why we are so prone to killing one another. Murderers don't need a gun to complete their tasks, and often times the crime is much more brutal and shocking without the gun. The fundraiser I attended last weekend was heartwrenching to hear how the poor woman's husband shielded the baby with his body, and took off his own t-shirt to wrap around his fiance's neck, and that was the only reason she survived.

Should we outlaw ex-boyfriends? Or sex? Or religion? All of them are more responsible for violence than any inanimate object that I have ever seen.

edit on 18-4-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Hi Sherlock.

When will the USA get over it's primitive, fearful gun-toting culture ?

I wonder when those folks in the UK will give up their violent soccer match riots?

From the videos I've seen of those affairs, it is a darn good thing that they don't let them have guns over there. They aren't responsible enough to be in charge of their own fists and feet.

edit on 18-4-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

The country was founded on the principles of individual rights and the rights of the private citizen to protect those rights against tyranny and oppression by the government.

Here are a couple quotes about that primitive gun culture you mentioned:

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government. -Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
-Thomas Jefferson

Here's something to ponder. Why were the two innocent British holidaymakers in the wrong part of town. Looking for trouble maybe? Hoping to participate in some illegal, illicit activities? What happens when you get too close to a fire? You get burned. They were in a bad part of town and they were snubbed by a criminal. It happens.

Primitive gun culture? That's a very European phrase to think that Americans are somehow backwards. The law that's in place that gives Americans the right to bear arms is part of a greater concept of natural rights for all citizens. The natural rights cannot be enumerated by the Bill of Rights, that's what the 9th and 10th amendments are for. The concept of natural rights was borne out of a revolutionary concept that came out of the enlightenment in France and was carried over to the Colonies by the Founding Fathers.

If anything a monarchical system of government and a culture based on it is more primitive. The concept of kings and queens has existed for millenia, whereas the concept, theory and practice of natural rights is quite recent if viewed in the scheme of things.

edit on 18-4-2011 by Crunkman919 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2011 by Crunkman919 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
www.nationmaster.com...

interesting comparing some countries murder per cap.
USA not the top of the list and i don't see canada
edit on 18-4-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

it is not just gun-toting.. it is WHO is toting the guns.. I say, look at the genetics of a person, look at the countries that said persons genetics are predominant, look at that countries level of sophistication, civility, crime and violence..

then, decide, based on genetics, what the cause of the problem is..

facts are facts..anomilies DO exist, but focus on the percentage of the time a person of a particular genetic background does something or doesn't do something.. playing the odds WORKS, in ALL aspects of life, as MATH does not discrimnate or lie..

denial, or refusal to accept a fact and instead use "wishful thinking" causes a whole myriad of problems.. look at every country in europe, scandinavia, africa, asia, north america, south america.. then look at the root of the genetics of the majority of people there and compare.. then look at the neighborhoods in any country, compare the genetic makeup of the majority of the residents in any community, and tell me there are no stone cold similarities across the board..
edit on 18-4-2011 by rebeldog because: spelling

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This murder even has the police baffled.

Investigators also declined to say why they think James M. Cooper, 25, and James Thomas Kouzaris, 24, were in The Courts public housing project, where they were found shot in the 1700 block of Gore/Carver Court at about 3 a.m. Saturday. "What we thought was not panning out," Chief Mikel T. Hollaway said.

If you listened to gangsta rap lyrics without the benefit of some background reading to understand the roots of the expression you might think everybody in the low income projects aspired to be a gun toting thug.

I was raised in the US gun culture, NRA certified sharpshooter at age 11. Have absolutely no use for a gun in an urban environment now as an adult. Drugs and guns don't mix, especially alcohol and coc aine. Robbery would be the most likely motive in an area where the price of addictions runs high, but the police haven't formed an opinion so keep reading.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
When will the USA get over its primitive, fearful gun-toting culture ?

There is nowhere in Britain where the possibility of being shot in the 'wrong part of town' is a serious consideration.

here ya go sherlock, put this in your pipe and smoke it.
this is just in london, feb to april.

www.spotcrime.com/uk/london

there are at least 8 shootings, and not to mention all the other violent crime.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Stabbing may be an issue in some instances, but the large difference between stabbing and shooting is patently and abundantly clear.

You only need to compare the murder rates in Britain and the US, and the modus operandi of the crimes, to logically conclude that wielding guns is not the way to go.

The instance in the news story shows how 'easy' it is to impersonally maim or kill someone.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Stabbing may be an issue in some instances, but the large difference between stabbing and shooting is patently and abundantly clear.

You only need to compare the murder rates in Britain and the US, and the modus operandi of the crimes, to logically conclude that wielding guns is not the way to go.

The instance in the news story shows how 'easy' it is to impersonally maim or kill someone.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

That "primitive gun culture in the U.S." prevents more crimes than it enables.

How nice of you to shamelessly exploit a tragedy to make your political point.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
If it were not for guns it would be something else. Knives, baseball bats, tire irons, Molotov cocktails and for some even their bare hands are deadly weapons. It is not the weapon, it is the user of the weapon....get rid of the guns, something else will step up to the plate.

No, this is the trite, hackneyed, argument that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The UK has 60 million people, the USA has 300 million people, yet, the murders conducted in the US grossly outweigh, proportionately, the murders in Britain.

My city gets a bad rep for gun crime, knife crime and violence, yet our murder rate only amounts to the single figures every year !

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

It seems as if you are more concerned with the tool and how the crime was committed, instead of the crime itself. I can not help but think that you are actually saying, " I despise guns and they all need to be banned, but I do mind people being killed."

edit on 18-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
it's an utter shame that this happened to the two Brits while on holiday.
but they were killed by a criminal. a murderer who will hopefully be adequately brought to justice.
our 'primitive' gun culture is not to blame. the actions of a sick individual are.

I don't think that your primitive gun-culture is solely responsible for these men's deaths, but the ease of obtaining a firearm and the mainstream nature of guns in your country, paint a picture of an overly violent society.

Originally posted by slowisfast
the vast, vast majority of gun owners in this country(not including those that come about them by illegal means)
are normal, hard working, folk who would never murder another human being.
criminals will come by firearms regardless of our gun laws. that is a fact.
horrible incidences like this will continue even if we turn from our 'primitive' ways. that is a fact.
who/what would be to blame then?

I don't consider gun-owners to be bad people. That is not my point, at all.

The point is that you have a nation of scared, fearful and cowardly citizens, who only possess weapons because everyone else does !

It's painfully hilarious how so many Americans attempt to claim their independence or autonomy, along the lines of how big their arsenal of weaponry is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join