It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say No To GMO Before It's Too Late

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by solsticks

Quasar_La-Zar please be perfectly honest about this, exactly how much farming/gardening experience do you have???

I am sure all of us here trying to educate you would love to know the answer to that question.

You have been attacking those of us how actually have experience & knowledge on this subject by stating we are stupid, etc., & at the same time stating that we are attacking you. I have not seen anyone being disrespectful to you on this subject, just trying to educate you.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
OOPS. I have apparently replied to some of you inadvertently in my attempt to educate Quasar_La-Zar

Sorry!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jenlt

Here, let me try again without all those pesky, like, you know, ugh, words and stuff to read:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

Thank you for your attempt to "educated" my with propoganda, but propoganda is not truth.

Once again, I have to ask how much experience you have with farming/gardening.

There is absolutely NOTHING that will ever change my mind about GMO foods. Europe & quite a number of other countries have banned GMO foods due to studies they have done.

The FDA is not on the side of the American people, they have been bought out by Monsanto Corporation & that is why they have approved GMO foods - again, this goes back to politics. There is a bigger picture here. It's time to take off the blinders.

Man does NOT know better than God & the more man feels he does, the deeper we get. Man is causing his own demise. Man is not God.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jenlt

Oh no! I was never defending GMO...ever! I hate GMO. Where did I defend it...? Yikes, remove it if I had a typo PLEASE (: (: Yes, I think when people talk about chemicals, we need to educate them about herbicides, pesticides and fungicides...the differences, the uses, etc.

No no GMO, ever! What I was saying is that farmers are stuck using GMO seeds because they 'bought' into it...and now they are part of the system. It is very hard to break out of traditional farming once you are set up to farm that way, and Monsanto took advantage of that.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jenlt

whew (: Thanks for the note.

Yes, I wish everyone would read, learn, talk to farmers, all farmers (organic and non-organic)...you know what? If given a choice to make money and sustain their family farms with organic, if there was a way??? Small American family farms would, you know. They would. They are caught between a rock and a hard place.

And now...I must go make chevre and the hardboiled eggs are bubbling very hard...time to cook some homegrown food....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by solsticks

Sorry, I had thought I was replying to Quasar_La-Zar

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2
reply to post by jenlt

Here, let me try again without all those pesky, like, you know, ugh, words and stuff to read:

Yeah, Penn, Teller and big agra telling me my concerns, as well of those of scientists not affiliated with big agra, are bovine excrement..

edit on 19-4-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
You're still going on about selective breeding vs. GMO and how "different" it is. It isn't. You're all worried about frankenfood; I'm not. We're NOT going to feed the world with "organic" plants. Their yield is not high enough. Their susceptibility to pests and disease is not robust enough. If you don't allow GMO, we're all gonna starve to death. Well, the third world will first.

That's not to say there aren't issues or that Montesano is not one of the Bad Guys. But all you guys wring your hands about GMO ought to take a deep breath and realize that---IT'S TOO LATE!

Without a shadow of a doubt, genetically modified foods were certain to become part of our future. There are some people who like the idea of food that is completely naturally grown that is never tainted by anything, but frankly, that approach only worked when there was one percent of the human population of today. The bottom line is the world needs more food and businesses need the food industry to be profitable. The genetics revolution opened the door to bolstering the DNA of plants and animals that provide foodstuffs against harmful conditions and organisms to create nutrient-rich superfoods. It only makes sense that in due time foods would be genetically modified to meet the demands of everyone. But clearly that research needed to be done carefully while respecting nature, and the development of products should have been done with a significant amount of oversight.

Here's a link to the complete article

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Ok, you like your corn injected with Roundup (TM). I don't, and I don't want my child to eat it but it makes up 80-90% of corn sold in the US. I live in the US, where is my choice?
edit on 19-4-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

This is why people need a wake up call. As far as I can see, the reason is fairly simple. Time.

People are too busy working for the other guy and their end game and subjecting themselves to the slavery thereof. I hear it all the time, "I just do not have the time". Well, that is where we as the people need to start drawing some lines and start looking behind the scenes as to what these so-called "careers" really are. Intentional? I do not know, but the end result is the same. Our careers keep us so "busy" that we do not have time to do things for ourselves, like maintain our own backyard gardens. If people would start putting more emphasis on their selves and their families needs rather than some corporate entity that really could care less about their people. I think there is some common ground here, I believe in doing a good job for my employer, but only up until the point it affects my way of life, then I draw the line. Sixty, seventy hour work weeks is slavery no matter how you slice it when you ultimately do not see any benefit from it, except from some quarterly earnings report.

Start pushing back, make time to do things like this. It is your life so take charge of it and quit letting the career stand in the way of doing the smart thing for your family. This does not just apply to the food situation, but can be applied across the board.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

So, you believe that selective breeding is NOT different from GMO?????? How far from the truth is that!!!!

Selective breeding DOES NOT inject bacteria with other organisims/chemicals/etc., attached to it, into an organism. Selective breeding is choosing what genetic traits, that are NATURALLY occuring, to produce more of a specific kind from.

GMO is MANIPULATING thru ARTIFICIAL means to produce something, that is altogether different in it's genetic make up. This is a MAN MADE product.

You state "We're NOT going to feed the world with "organic" plants". We aren't feeding the world NOW. Starvation is POLITICAL. It's that simple!!!!! Starvation is a way to CONTROL!!!!! Starvation is a 20th century issue.

Another issue that I have failed to address is the mass die off of bees. The pollen that they are collecting from GMO plants contain the exact chemicals that are injected into them to keep them from being eaten by other insects. This is killing our bees. Without bees, WE DIE. When we ingest toxic chemicals, WE DIE.

Yes, we are going to starve to death, because we will be getting absolutely no nutritional value from GMO foods, because the bees are being killed, not because of environmentally sound organic farming. The third world is already starving because of politics. There are people still starving in countries where GMO foods are grown.

You state regarding organic farming, "that approach only worked when there was one percent of the human population of today". So are we all to assume from your comment, that the population had a mass explosion in the 20th century??? Organic farming was all there was until the 20th century. Do you somehow think that for most of history that Monsanto, Dow Chemical, Bayer, etc., have produced chemicals to be used in farming???

I also see further down on your post that you comment that "The genetics revolution opened the door to bolstering the DNA of plants and animals that provide foodstuffs against harmful conditions and organisms to create nutrient-rich superfoods". I want to draw attention to animals first. So, you have absolutely no problem eating genetically modified animals??? So do you have a problem with eating cloned animals???

You also state that this creates "nutrient-rich superfoods". That is so far from the truth, unless you consider the toxic/chemical compounds that you are ingesting by eating GMO's as nutrient-rich.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

"Your post is interesting...although many others have posted a number of things referring to "down with Monsanto".
I'm surprised that so many that contribute here have such short memories...
Check these out:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com... "

Posts like this are more than just for our short memories... Some of us, myself included may not have been aware of this because it's not in the forefront of our thoughts until we stumble across a thread like this. So now as a member, I need to do a search and ignore this thread because it's been done before? That'll be the day I do that...

Far be it for me to say or even infer that you "should ignore" anything. You, my friend are quite mistaken in the way you took my words out of context. If you were not aware of such hideous practices by Monsanto and this particular thread was your stumbling block...more power to you...now you know and if you read the posts I linked to, you will learn much, much, more...please...don't take it as a personal afront.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2
reply to post by jenlt

Earnst Borlaug...a man with a vision....too bad what he envisioned wasn't what he got....
It was nice of Monsanto to let an old man believe his life wasn't wasted.

The last woman on the video is purely in another world if she believes none of the franken food is being tested on human subjects...it is tested on us every day.

There is a big difference between creating food that produces more yield per acre and the garbage that is used as filler in the foods pushed on the American public and others in the world. There is a big difference between natural base occurring foods and chemically altered foods...ya know what that big difference is?

MONEY MONEY MONEY

No one can make money off something NATURAL....chemically change the original, tweak a gene here a chromosome there, and Monsanto and others involved can make billions as well as feed billions...again money made off the backs of slaves.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I planted my first garden this year from "heirloom" seeds. You can still find them or order them online. I would suggest everyone buy as many as possible while we still can. If you can't plant them this year, freeze them and they will last at least 5 years. I will harvest seeds off my plants for next years planting. I have 3 kinds of squash, tomatoes, onions, purple hull peas, okra, green beans, eggplant, cucumbers, lima beans, strawberries and watermelon. Off to a good start and it's our first garden. I am also planning a fall garden.

Try to avoid soy and corn as much as possible. Soy is literally in almost everything, including bread. We need to get the word out about this and lobby government to say no to Monsanto. We need to get back to small community local gardening. Find your local farmers market and buy your produce there if you cannot grow it yourself. It also tastes much better.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

GMO food is for fighting diseases like cancer making your immune system stronger...thing is nobody actually really knows if it does more harm than good so yeah I would expect a conspiracy

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
reply to post by Kali74

GMO food is for fighting diseases like cancer making your immune system stronger...thing is nobody actually really knows if it does more harm than good so yeah I would expect a conspiracy

Evanzsayz...where did you get your information that GMO food is for making the immune system stronger?
I would like to read the information that states that is what Franken Food's purpose is. I hope I haven't missed
something somewhere.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This thread is motivating me to make another video. Needs to be done.

Didn't really want to make an announcement, but saying something is better than just *bump.*

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Why else would they put it in our food are you serious...you think the government just does it to kill us while everyone knows about it and they are too stupid to do anything?

The term GM foods or GMOs (genetically-modified organisms) is most commonly used to refer to crop plants created for human or animal consumption using the latest molecular biology techniques. These plants have been modified in the laboratory to enhance desired traits such as increased resistance to herbicides or improved nutritional content. The enhancement of desired traits has traditionally been undertaken through breeding, but conventional plant breeding methods can be very time consuming and are often not very accurate.

IF your lookin for info/proof www.google.com is a powerful tool

in my last post i never said gmo foods were perfect but that is the intent of gmo's to make us resistant to disease
edit on 19-4-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

You've got to be kidding me, right??? You really think/believe/know that GMO foods are supposed to make us resistant to disease????

INDEPENDENT STUDIES SHOW THAT LAB RATS CONSUMING GMO FOODS END UP COMPLETELY DISEASED, WITH ALOT OF AILMENTS!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join