It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say No To GMO Before It's Too Late

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

Please do some research regarding your comments. Organic is how food was produced since the beginning of time. Chemicals were not used until the 20th century.

GMO's are injected with bacteria/dna or bacteria/chemicals. The bacteria carries whatever the "scientists" are introducing into the organism. Although the claim is that GMO's product 3x's more food than the normal crop, the exact opposite is actually true. Farmers that bought into this lie, all over the world, are finding out they have been scammed on many fronts.

The toxic chemicals that the plant is producing is not a good thing. YOU end up eating it. We are not meant to eat poison or toxic substances. The toxic chemicals the plant produce are UNNATURAL. GMO plants are also injected with substances that allow them to actually be SPRAYED with chemicals, to be able to withstand being sprayed with LOTS of chemicals, repeatedly, to kill the weeds that grow up around them. So, through osmosis, even more chemicals are introduced into your body, not to mention that the plant is sucking up those chemicals each time it is watered, as those chemicals are in the soil.

Studies have found that the continual spraying is causing superweeds. Weeds that are now resistant to any herbicide (I don't advocate using herbicides of any kind). Studies also show that the constant bombardment of chemicals is causing the soil to become fallow, (no longer able to sustain life).

So the simple answer to your question - There is nothing NATURAL about GMO.

Organic food does not use chemicals of any kind. That is what makes it organic.

Organic means: characteristic of, pertaining to, or derived from living organisms.

Actually, organic farming, done correctly, CAN produce much more food than GMO's & is healthy for the environment. We "all" claim to be concerned for our environment. Monsanto even claims that GMO is "sustainable", but the GMO industry is poisoning the earth & all life on earth.

As far as starving people, that is a 20th century problem. There is absolutely NO reason that people should be going hungry. Unfortunately, most hunger is caused for political reasons.

The only shame should come from those that are causing hunger & those that are destroying our environment.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

In my home-town there are several informal cooperative seed banks, seed shares, etc. I participate in one, and it's pretty delightful. Here's how I got started. In my first year working my community garden plot, I was approached by a gentleman who offered me an heirloom Czech lettuce varietal gratis, with the following proviso: I would allow one of the plants to "bolt" or produce seed, and then would collect and return that seed to the man.

He had several heirloom varieties that he was distributing to every member of the community garden.

Collecting and saving seed is quite easy, and so long as they are stored in an air-tight container, they will germinate years after being collected.
edit on 19-4-2011 by mistermonculous because: verb conju-what now?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Here is the height of anti-GMO idiocy. Allowing people to starve rather than allow them to eat GM food:

www.gmofoodforthought.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

No...you should've 'genetically modified' the tires on the vehicle... (:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I had no idea so many people were uneducated about GMO foods, genetic modification science and how seeds grow, etc. It is eye opening. Tip: If you can...find a local farmers market and find a farmer you trust and buy from him/her...organic non-gmo seeds/food. There are lots of foods in the grocery stores that say non-gmo. Garden of Eatin' chips, Eden brand foods, etc. Buy organic, boycott GMO and grow your own food if/when you can. I am adamantly opposed to GMO seeds and we are stuck with them for now...it is very big problem. Now, the genetically modified alfalfa (hay for animals) is everywhere. This means that the meat/milk/eggs you eat have been raised from animals that were fed genetically modified hay! There is no way out at this point. Someone has to do something!!!! I guess educating as many people as possible is a good thing at this point. It frustrates me to no end....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jenlt

Please do some research regarding your comments. Organic is how food was produced since the beginning of time. Chemicals were not used until the 20th century.

Organic food does not use chemicals of any kind. That is what makes it organic.

Oh really?

That is absurd, all farming practices on earth uses some form of chemicals.

Organic farmers, have to use the older out of date stuff, [ while that was good when DDT was in the environment] instead of using the newer safer better chemicals.

Lol if you really think organic is healthier, safer, cleaner, and could feed the world, then the marketers are doing their jobs. They use cow crap for fertilizer, which makes people sick, the cows making the fertilizers are the #1 polluters of this planet, they use out of date chemicals and spray it on the plants [just like what gmo's do by themselves without spray]

So maybe you should do some research friend before attacking me, you just like everyone else here does not know what they are talking about. WHILE THEY EAT THE GMO'S THEY PROTEST. Damnit I hate stupid people.

Just watch penn & teller, they know whats bullsh*t, thats why they made one about organic farming.

www.youtube.com...

Just watch the intro if you don't have much time.

If anything that is going to change the food industry, its hydroponic farming combined with towers and built on top of pre-existing towers/houses/ect. Now that is something I can get behind.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by solsticks
I had no idea so many people were uneducated about GMO foods, genetic modification science and how seeds grow, etc. It is eye opening. Tip: If you can...find a local farmers market and find a farmer you trust and buy from him/her...organic non-gmo seeds/food. There are lots of foods in the grocery stores that say non-gmo. Garden of Eatin' chips, Eden brand foods, etc. Buy organic, boycott GMO and grow your own food if/when you can. I am adamantly opposed to GMO seeds and we are stuck with them for now...it is very big problem. Now, the genetically modified alfalfa (hay for animals) is everywhere. This means that the meat/milk/eggs you eat have been raised from animals that were fed genetically modified hay! There is no way out at this point. Someone has to do something!!!! I guess educating as many people as possible is a good thing at this point. It frustrates me to no end....

I would say you need to do some education for yourself, before you misinform EVEN MORE PEOPLE about the LIFE SAVING GMO SCIENTIFIC BREAKTHROUGH.

Because you are indeed misinformed.

link   

Originally posted by wasco2
Here is the height of anti-GMO idiocy. Allowing people to starve rather than allow them to eat GM food:

www.gmofoodforthought.com...

You are %1000 correct

link   
Grow your own food, save your own non-gmo seeds, buy organic, support local organic farmers and also support local farmers who are 'stuck' in Monsanto's trick/trap of genetically modified seed farming (tell them you would support them if they switched to old style farming/non-gmo..THEY NEED TO HEAR IT!) and store your food/leftovers in glass containers...take a look at how much plastic our food is stored in. Take a look...at what you put your children's lunch in??? Your milk, your meat, your eggs, etc. all plastic. Take a look and try to make a change, however small (:

If everyone did this, it would make a dent.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I am not misinformed...I don't function on information on the computer for farming. My children are 5th generation American farmers and I grow my own organic food and milk my own milk and have my own eggs. I also know how to make cheese, bread and many other basic foods from the seed in the ground to the point I put it on the table. I am not misinformed. sorry. (:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

Seriously, so, the thought is, feed people poison so they don't starve?????

Then if that is the case, what is all the uproar of the plastic rice in China????? Isn't that "feeding" people so they don't starve?????

So we feed people poison so they don't die of starvation (which can be avoided by growing organically & if politics was not involved), but they end up dying of horrible diseases that are brought on by eating UNNATURAL "food". I have also failed to mention on any of my posts that GMO foods severely lack nutritional value. That is also a fact!!!

Please fill me in on what sense that makes, because I just don't understand it.

The bottom line is this - NO ONE has to go hungry. Starvation is being caused due to politics, nothing more, nothing less. That is straight up FACT. Even the countries that are growing GMO foods with the idea that it will end starvation, still have huge issues with starvation. Do some research, REAL research, not the propoganda put out there by Monsanto, their marketing/publicity firms & the like.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Yes, it's true...organic farming uses chemicals....not ones that are as toxic or lethal...but pyrethrins and also strip farming...where there are 'buffer zones' between sprayed crops and non-sprayed crops.

The real issue here isn't pesticides and herbicides, but GMO. Genetic modification of food is wrong and that is that. period.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

cow manure is not the #1 poison on the planet. That is so funny. I think fukoshima power plant is right now....um, cow manure is natural and the methane from it is not that great...you, have been fed a line...manure has been used forever for fertilizer. It makes sense and it is returning to the earth what was taken out of it. wow. I wish some of you could come farm for a season...it would really open your eyes.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but...if you haven't farmed...or planted food...and harvested it...you really don't know, do you? I mean, it would be like me arguing how to fix an engineering problem at Ford Motor Co. or something. I know nothing about engineering. But, I can tell you right now with the dirt under my fingernails as I type and the goatsmilk straining on the counter, I know how to farm (: and GMO is stupid.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
Awsome thread.

I think we're seeing a trend here: peer reviewed studys showing the negative health effects of GMO's and now countries like Ireland are banning them outright.

The only obstacle is... Monsanto.

Yes, and the monstrosity of Government that is compicit with them.

A two headed beast...

We need a dragon slayer!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
We do not need GMO foods to feed the hungry, that is just the party line Monsanto uses to justify the evil they are doing. It is sad to see dissagreement here, but of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I would only ask that you read the information I put in the OP or do your own research. If in the end you decide that GMO foods are ok to consume then at least consider the invasive aspect of this issue. Farmers, who have it rough as it is now have this issue to deal with also. They risk being sued if GMO crops contaminate their crops. They risk losing the choice on whether to grow GMO crops or not. The whole world risks losing the choice on whether they eat GMO or not. Something is very very wrong when plants are patented. When the choice is gone and there is only GMO left then Monsanto has the entire planet on a leash and begging like dogs.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

To start off, I wasn't attacking you. You, are unfortunately very defensive, which tells me that my attempt to educate you on this subject is a mute point, but hopefully others that are reading these posts are actually teachable.

Yes, really. I have done research. I come from a long line of dairy farmers. I have been away from that life for over 40 years, but I have been organic gardening all my life.

All farming practices on earth DO NOT use some form of chemicals. I grow far more than my family can eat in any given season. I have NEVER used any type of chemical & I know many others that don't either.

In order to be certified as an organic grower, you CAN NOT use any type of chemicals. Tests are done prior to certification. This is FACT.

Organic farms DO NOT have to "use the older out of date stuff". I am not sure what you are talking about with DDT, but organic farmers did not use DDT either (another Monsanto product, by the way). Organic farmers won't use the "newer safer better chemicals", because they don't use chemicals. I don't know how you have come to the conclusion that organic farming requires the use of chemicals, that is absurd.

Laugh all you want. Yes, organic is "healthier, safer, cleaner & could feed the world". I don't know how old you are & frankly, that probably doesn't even matter, but the fact is, this is not how things have always been.

Cow crap for fertilizer, has been used since the beginning of time. What is making people sick is the Big Ag way of farming. Until the last 20 years (when Big Ag really took off), you never heard of Mad Cow Disease, E-Coli or any of the other diseases we are seeing at unbelievable rates today.

These mega farms are extremely unsanitary & use tons of antibiotics. The antibiotics are causing many strains of disease that are antibiotic resistant. Studies show that these mega farms (meat/dairy) are flushing their "waste" into streams that ends up in ground water used to water crops. THAT IS WHAT IS MAKING PEOPLE SICK!!!!!!! These mega farms are NOT organic.

If you truly want your eyes opened, watch Food, Inc., that gives a slight look into what has happened to the food industry.

Do you not understand that YOU eat the chemicals (& worse), that you are claiming organic farmers are using, every time you put a GMO food into your mouth???

I don't eat GMO's & protest, I don't eat GMO's. You can call me stupid all you want, but my liver, kidneys & heart will all be functioning well, while yours is being diseased by what you are eating.

I just noticed under you signature that you state that "Fluoride is slowing (I assume you meant slowly), killing us all via our drinking water...........". So, you are ok with eating GMO's that the US Government says is OK to consume, but you aren't ok with ingesting Fluoride that the US Government says is ok to consume. Toxic is toxic, no matter how you slice it.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

the food still needs to be sprayed with chemicals...the difference is that with GMO you can spray the chemicals after the plant emerges from the seed without killing the plant. It is called post-emergence spray/seeds. This allows the farmer a broader timeframe to spray his/her crops.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jenlt

amen, perfectly said.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by solsticks

Ok, so now I see where you think you are going with the statement that organic farmers use "chemicals".

Further education - When you are speaking of things like pyrethrins, you are speaking of something that is naturally occuring & comes from a chrysanthemum. This is no way the same as Round Up or the substances being injected into crops. Pyrethrins and other naturally occuring substances taken from plants are NOT in the least harmful to the environment.

Now, I am really confused about your stance on GMO food. You have been defending it this entire time, but now you are saying it's wrong. Has your mind been changed???

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join