It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say No To GMO Before It's Too Late

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+55 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I've known for a while that GMO foods weren't as healthy as the real thing. First off I didn't quite understand the difference between Selective Breeding and Genetic Engineering. Even when I learned the difference I still didn't quite grasp how horrific the difference is. I beg everyone who reads this thread to please not only read the information I'm going to provide but verify for yourselves that what I'm relaying is true.

This is a very scary situation and everyone needs to become aware of the true nature of this issue. Please wake up into this nightmare and help end it. I have not felt like taking an activist stance in a very long time, this issue has changed that and this is my first step. Please everyone lets take this beyond discussion and do something about it, T&C doesn't allow for organizing protests etc...but please figure out something, anything you can do to be pro-active.

First a quote from a post I made in another thread that spells out the difference between Selective Breeding and GMO.

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by schuyler

There's a huge difference between what you describe which is selective breeding and GMO, here is a great comparison between the two and a great insight article as well.

Selective breeding is the process of developing a plant or animal based on selecting desirable characteristics of the parent. For example, saving seeds for replanting from plants within a crop that have shown to be particularly robust or breeding a white dog with a black patch over its eye via two parents that have the same trait.

GMO

GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism. When used in reference to food GMO is usually shorted to GM. This is where the genes from one species can be introduced into an entirely different species through human intervention.

For example, taking a gene from a jellyfish and inserting it into the zebrafish genome created the glofish—a fish that glows in the dark.

Another example is genes from a bacteria inserted into food crops so that the crop can create its own insecticide. These plants and animals are also known as transgenic.

Sound a little freaky? Well, if you’re living in the USA, it gets worse as 70 per cent of the food in U.S. supermarkets contains bioengineered ingredients (corn and soy being the two biggies), but GM labeling is forbidden in the USA; so you’ll never know what it’s in.

Full article here

So now that you know the difference between the two let's see exactly what we are eating. The three varieties of GMO corn Monsanto grows and sells for human consumption in the US and several EU countries are named: Mon 863, insecticide-producing Mon 810, and Roundup® herbicide-absorbing NK 603. Sounds yummy

A recent study on lab rats that were fed those three varities of GMO corn has been published in the International Journal Of Biological Sciences as reported in the Huffington Post.

"Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted. As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others. We therefore conclude that our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity.[...] These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown."

Full article here

Who is Monsanto? Monsanto is a multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation founded in 1901. They are responsible for bringing us such fine products as Saccharin, Agent Orange, DDT, Aspartame, and Bovine Growth Hormone (BST). Monsanto also was involved in The Manhattan Project and later The Atomic Energy Commission. Sounds like they really want to save the world.

Wikipedia

Monsanto has patented every single plant it has genetically engineered. This gives them the authority to sue anyone suspect of planting or growing seeds that were produced as a result of cross-pollination as such seeds are considered intellectual property of Monsanto. There is no way to stop cross-pollination thus leaving private farmers completely defenseless against being sued and losing everything.

When farmers go bankrupt Monsanto buys their farmland and grows more GMO crops which in turn increases the pollen and decreases natural food supply. It seems like such a conspiracy theorist thing to say but, Monsanto could realistically end up in control of the entire world's supply of food. That is a serious power to hold.

Farmers fighting back. I think we all know how hard farmers have it, somehow we have to protect them from this ludacris practice of Monsanto of suing when GMO crops "inadavertently contaminate" private farmers crops.

In an effort to protect themselves, farmers are suing Monsanto over the patents on GM seed because historically Monsanto has actually sued farmers in the United States and Canada when the patented genetically-modified (GM) materially inadvertently contaminates the farmers’ crops. Yes, read that one more time – Monsanto sues the farmers whose crops get contaminated from Monsanto’s GM seed.

Full article here

In a farmers own words the difference between GMO and non-GMO crops.

So what now? What can I do? Hopefully this isn't against T&C. In my research I came across this site, I won't quote anything just provide the link. This is an organization taking a stand against Monsanto.

Millions Against Monsanto

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You know...just a wacky thought...I have been considering that the doomsday seed vault up in Norway and others like it (D.U.M.B's) were made so that a GMO food supply could "safely" be used to sterilize the great majority of the worlds population over the course of 100-200 years (the seed vault would protect original species). GMO's have been linked to infertility more than once now, as well as organ damage, so it appears to be a weapon. Of course, this is total speculation.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The long term safety of this is really concerning. There is no way to tell that this will be safe for us. They're playing with fire and it seems to be a growing monopoly - I hope that people band together and are able to make a change... as highly unlikely as it sounds, but its a long row to hoe. No easy answers...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
You know...just a wacky thought...I have been considering that the doomsday seed vault up in Norway and others like it (D.U.M.B's) were made so that a GMO food supply could "safely" be used to sterilize the great majority of the worlds population over the course of 100-200 years (the seed vault would protect original species). GMO's have been linked to infertility more than once now, as well as organ damage, so it appears to be a weapon. Of course, this is total speculation.

It is a weapon of sorts. Whether intentionally evil or driven by love of money or power, this has to stop.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Monsanto..are just another one of the power hungry pathetic idiots out there.

Great thread girl

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
At least it seems that people do have some kind of legal recourse if they end up getting sued for accidentally growing Monsanto crops, like this guy Percy Schmieser

He was sued by Monsanto for growing their crops and successfully managed to turn the suit around to the point that Monsanto had to pay him for the cost of cleaning their crops from his fields

In an out of court settlement finalized on March 19, 2008, Percy Schmeiser has settled his lawsuit with Monsanto. Monsanto has agreed to pay all the clean-up costs of the Roundup Ready canola that contaminated Schmeiser's fields

I guess sometimes the law isn't as completely idiotic as it seems

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I first learned about GMO foods before I left the army and so far it has been a challenge to avoid. How they get away with feeding us the crap is beyond me but someone has to take action before we get more fat and sluggish from the corporations dangerous foods. A label warning that a certain product is GMO would be nice but then again they could care less.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Awsome thread.

I think we're seeing a trend here: peer reviewed studys showing the negative health effects of GMO's and now countries like Ireland are banning them outright.

The only obstacle is... Monsanto.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

It's great to see a happy ending, they are rare with Monsanto. It goes to show that fighting back can accomplish something. Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Nice post. I agree this deserves more attention and immediate action.

I heard that if you plant GMO seeds, take seeds from the harvest and replant them, and you repeat this process, the GMO seeds will eventually revert to their native form. Does anyone know if this is true and how many cycles are required?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike.Ockizard

I heard that if you plant GMO seeds, take seeds from the harvest and replant them, and you repeat this process, the GMO seeds will eventually revert to their native form. Does anyone know if this is true and how many cycles are required?

I believe that most (if not all) GM seeds are sterile. Therefore they don't produce viable seeds in their lifetime and you have to keep buying the seed from monsanto.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
NO TO GMO !!!
I hope its not to late

. But seriously,.
I truly hate monsanto

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

Wow I have never heard that before, I'll have to look that up.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

I believe that most (if not all) GM seeds are sterile. Therefore they don't produce viable seeds in their lifetime and you have to keep buying the seed from monsanto.

That is part of the profit strategy. You have to continue to buy seeds because they don't reproduce.

Think about it like this, if a human could not reproduce, there would be something wrong with them, right? And I don't mean women who can't concieve, I mean the fundemental lack of the ability to reproduce.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

It seems you're right, as stated in a lawsuit against Monsanto by a group of certified organic farmers the seeds are engineered to be sterile.

Monsanto’s 647 biotech plant patents impact 85-90% of all soybeans, corn, cotton, sugar beets, and canola grown in the US. The company’s steep investment in genetic engineering has led them to incorporate a “terminator gene” into the seeds to ensure that all seeds are delivered sterile.

Full article here

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
s&f ! great thread!

I cant even add to much to it because you did a great job!

it is hard to avoid this crap! I try to teach everyone I know about it (to the point, i am sure it comes off as annoying-but i dont care)

its in everything!

I have been meet with fierce opposition on the subject. I had suffered from pretty bad heartburn caused by a hyatial (sp?) hernia that was most likely caused by a removal of my gal bladder. anyways... i got sick of having to take medicines for it that did not work. from prescription to over the counter, it sucked. I would get ill from the heartburn.

I switched to organic and that made the difference. might not work for everyone, but it helped me, now I do not need to take those meds anymore.

I have been eating this way for over a year now. I don't get sick as much as I did before, and I have noticed if I am at someone's house and have to eat gmo food, I get pretty irritable & sluggish.

monsanto is a truly horrible company. I have always wanted to organize a protest at their headquarters. I have no idea how one would go about doing that, but that would be great.

that big evil giant needs to be taken down!!!

EAT ORGANIC

SCREW MONSANTO!!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Posting some of this to my Facebook. Bump.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Thanks for keeping the word going!!!!!! I feel the same way as you we need to protest or do something we cant just sit around and let our gavernment poisin us

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ladymerelda

Thanks for your reply, if your looking to take some kind of action but don't know where to start, you can check out the last link I posted in the OP. That's my 1st step.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Ill just go ahead and say "NO" right now. NO. Why? because i was told to say no

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join