It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say No To GMO Before It's Too Late

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Here's a quote that comes to mind...

Henry Kissinger had in mind in 1970 when he said: "Control oil and you control nations; control food and you control the people."

Also in the article

It's the diabolical story of how Washington and four Anglo-American agribusiness giants plan world domination by patenting life forms to gain worldwide control of our food supply and why that prospect is chilling.

This is not fiction people... These people have a goal, and they are working hard at it...

Source

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Isn’t corn the major component of Ethanol? I would like to know what effects of producing fuel with GMO corn and burning it in our vehicles has on the environment. I can deal with no more mosquitoes, but we do need the bees. Just wondering?

Are we unwittingly spraying pesticide into our atmosphere on our way to work? Ground based chem.-trails, so to speak.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
join this anti-GMO facebook page...

Hell No to GMO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.facebook.com...#!/nongmoproject

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike.Ockizard
reply to post by Kali74

Nice post. I agree this deserves more attention and immediate action.

I heard that if you plant GMO seeds, take seeds from the harvest and replant them, and you repeat this process, the GMO seeds will eventually revert to their native form. Does anyone know if this is true and how many cycles are required?

No not true, most GMO (Monsanto) Seeds do not reproduce again they are a one time shot, which is why it gets even more expensive for the farmers as they can't save the previous yrs seeds. In fact I understand that part of the contract with Monsanto is that they have to buy new seeds yearly. They are sterile after the first yr. Its easy to spot Monsanto potatoes, they are the ones who dont grow spuds after being at your house for weeks on end. Less seeds in the vegetables too like Peppers etc. Most of your seeds from the stores are going to be gmo. You have to go out of your way to find organic seeds to plant. Almost impossible to shop for non gmo products to eat as everything has soy,some form of corn etc. I can almost guarantee you that the seed vault does not contain GMO seeds, it is the natural seeds, you know the ones God created. Somehow Monsanto and company feel we should eat their food because they are smarter and better than God....I hate it that we cannot decide if we want to feed our kids gmo monster foods. It should be our right to know if the food we eat or feed our families has GMO or not.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
[url=Millions Against Monsanto ]reply to post by Kali74

you know I wonder if the people that work at Monsanto eats their own(gmo) food?I wonder if anyone associated with that company eat it?I believe that it is our given right as a human being to know what we are putting into our mouths and having a choice of what we feed our children.I pray that karma is real and quick for the destruction of this monster,this is nothing more than a cold calculated plan on the part of the elites to once again controll the population,the time is know people to make our move to stop this maddness,time to get angry time to make a difference for the future of our children and grandchildren........please make a difference and sign the petition!!

organicconsumers.org...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I have known about this for years and it has been going on for a long time, since the 90's at least. Monsanto already pretty much controls your food supply really. Japan, Egypt and just recently Ireland have steered clear of GMO crops etc and will not let their people eat them, or have them in their country. I think the UK puts a label on their food telling consumers it has GMO, but not sure if they still are doing this or not. It is rampant now, and I fear there is no way to stop it at this point. Whole Food Markets still sells non GMO foods, this is one way to avoid them if you have one of those grocery stores near you. Or grow your own with organic seeds, which is what we do when we can. Otherwise it is almost impossible to avoid. Look for labels marked Certified organic at your grocery store. I will say, it can get expensive and your choices are far more limited but its worth it. They have studies that show Monsanto foods do in fact cause internal damage, they are putting vaccines into some of their corn products and I have seen research that it can cause sterility and even feminine traits in the male species. Go figure... People in Haiti refused GMO shipments of seeds, actually burned them and same with Ethiopia. They would rather eat their mud pies than this stuff..and we thought we were smart.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Kali74

Nice post. I agree this deserves more attention and immediate action.

I heard that if you plant GMO seeds, take seeds from the harvest and replant them, and you repeat this process, the GMO seeds will eventually revert to their native form. Does anyone know if this is true and how many cycles are required?

If the inserted genes are the dominant form of their allele they could persist forever. Selective breeding could remove them in a few generations.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

I believe that most (if not all) GM seeds are sterile. Therefore they don't produce viable seeds in their lifetime and you have to keep buying the seed from monsanto.

I heard that too. Appearently they can't or don't do that yet. The artilce says "would allow"

"Terminator" and "traitor"An often cited controversy is a "Technology Protection" technology dubbed 'Terminator'.[60] This uncommercialized technology would allow the production of first generation crops that would not generate seeds in the second generation because the plants yield sterile seeds. The patent for this so-called "terminator" gene technology is owned by Delta and Pine Land Company and the United States Department of Agriculture. Delta and Pine Land was bought by Monsanto Company in August 2006. Similarly, the hypothetical trait-specific Genetic Use Restriction Technology, also known as 'Traitor' or 'T-GURT', requires application of a chemical to genetically modified crops to reactivate engineered traits.[60][61] This technology is intended both to limit the spread of genetically engineered plants, and to require farmers to pay yearly to reactivate the genetically engineered traits of their crops. Genetic Use Restriction Technology is under development by companies including Monsanto and AstraZeneca.

Wikipedia GMO

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

I believe that most (if not all) GM seeds are sterile. Therefore they don't produce viable seeds in their lifetime and you have to keep buying the seed from monsanto.

I heard that too. Appearently they can't or don't do that yet. The artilce says "would allow"

"Terminator" and "traitor"An often cited controversy is a "Technology Protection" technology dubbed 'Terminator'.[60] This uncommercialized technology would allow the production of first generation crops that would not generate seeds in the second generation because the plants yield sterile seeds. The patent for this so-called "terminator" gene technology is owned by Delta and Pine Land Company and the United States Department of Agriculture. Delta and Pine Land was bought by Monsanto Company in August 2006. Similarly, the hypothetical trait-specific Genetic Use Restriction Technology, also known as 'Traitor' or 'T-GURT', requires application of a chemical to genetically modified crops to reactivate engineered traits.[60][61] This technology is intended both to limit the spread of genetically engineered plants, and to require farmers to pay yearly to reactivate the genetically engineered traits of their crops. Genetic Use Restriction Technology is under development by companies including Monsanto and AstraZeneca.

Wikipedia GMO

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by ElectricRed49

There's nothing stupid about that question. Currently there is no regulation stating that food lables must declare if they are GMO or used any GMO ingredients. Up to 70% (I believe, I'll re-check that tomorrow) of our foods contain some GMO ingredient. So the most important things to do in my opinion are to get the labling changed and to take a stand against GMO's period.

One thing you can do to start eliminating GMO from your diet is to shop at health food stores, I don't think I can name any but there's a rather large chain that is very pro-activism and I believe they are nation-wide. Health food stores may carry GMO foods but there's a much higher chance they will be labled and they will have a much larger selection of non-GMO foods, than your average grocery store.

Sellers are not allowed to say that they are not GMO.

McGarity, who served as a consultant to the Environmental Protection Agency and Office of Technology Assessment, also criticized the FDA's non-GMO labeling policy, saying recommended labeling terms, such as "bioengineered," are incomprehensible to consumers. "Consumers think of genetic modification, not what FDA scientists think," he said. "Make the label to be what consumers understand." McGarity described the FDA non-GMO labeling rules as "midnight guidelines," because they were issued just before the change from the Clinton to Bush presidential administrations in January 2001.

The FDA received more than 50,000 public comments on the draft guidelines, but they were never finalized.

"Mandatory purchasing of GM foods" Peters said the FDA applies a double standard because it allows companies to use terms, such as "fat-free" and "cholesterol- free," but not "GMOfree." "We not only have no mandatory labeling, the FDA has put barriers in the way of voluntary labeling. As a result, we have mandatory purchasing of GM foods," he said.

GMO labeling
edit on 19-4-2011 by Semicollegiate because: ex quote incomplete

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Monsanto is indeed very, very evil in the strictest sense of the word. They'd say they are making more robust, hardy crops, but in reality they are creating a monopoly on seed where viable, local strains go extinct to be replaced by their monopoly on non reproducing crops.

I saw a documentary where Indian village farmers where committing suicide because they could not afford the expensive Monsanto seeds and their own seeds where lost to them by a clever system of offering the "superior" Monsanto seeds for a very low price and then the farmers are reliant because no more seeds are produced for next season, or "first times free." Farmers who tried to opt out and grow using their own, traditional seeds where legally harrassed to stop.

So never mind the probable toxicity of their genetically modified produce, the whole system of reliance on one type of seed worldwide is insane. One virus could now wipe out a vast percentage of the world's crops and they are only expanding their operations in the 1st-3rd world's agrarian industries. We need a varied, local produce pool of plant genotypes evolved for their areas' local climates and pests. Not a homogenized, fragile, non-viable monopoly run by suits.

Monsanto sucks.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2011 by Baddogma because: Typo

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I want to thank everyone that is contributing to this thread, it is thanks to ATS and it's users that I learned about this issue in the first place, and am now continuing to learn. The more I learn the angrier I get. So far I have signed a petition online that asks for foods to be required to be labled as GMO and non-GMO, and I'm looking for a local group to join that stands against Monsanto and GMO foods. My next step is to send an email to Michelle Obama since she is all about nutrition and home gardening. I've also "liked" some anti-Monsanto/GMO organizations on FB. I plan to go further as soon as I've recovered from a broken ankle (almost there, yay).

It is critical that people do what they can, every bit of resistance helps.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

"Your post is interesting...although many others have posted a number of things referring to "down with Monsanto".
I'm surprised that so many that contribute here have such short memories...
Check these out:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com... "

Posts like this are more than just for our short memories... Some of us, myself included may not have been aware of this because it's not in the forefront of our thoughts until we stumble across a thread like this. So now as a member, I need to do a search and ignore this thread because it's been done before? That'll be the day I do that...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It is possible that these GMO are like as you have postulated a means by which to sterilize our species [and others] into non existence. Accomplished painlessly without any nasty blood stains. As a school child I was fortunate to read the famous "Limits to Growth" written by the infamous "Club of Rome". It converted me. I decided that I would not contribute to the obvious over population problem. I decided to be a celibate monk. Being celibacy dominates my life. To me it is extremely important to lead others by my own example. If people do not enter into celibacy of their own free will then via GMO foods it looks like a kind of celibacy [in this case non reproduction brought on by sterilization] will be imposed on them per force. If that painless process fails to resolve the over population problem then the natural struggle for the ever inadequate resources will create a violent situation "World War 3" after which a few humans might survive but certainly our technological civilization will no longer exist. Thus in this context the GMO about which your writing is some what inevitable a consequence of our human psychosis. In much the same way in which the consequence of jumping off a cliff usually results in death. In my estimation humanity jumped off the cliff edge a very long time ago already. In theology it is called the "Fall of Man". Adam eating the "Forbidden Fruit". Probably just a symbolic story. But in the light of GMO technology maybe not so symbolic after all. Is this GMO literally a "Forbidden Fruit" ? "For in the day that ye eat of it ye shall die".

The law that I live by and which is holding us all bonded is called PRAECEPTAE CAELENIUM(tm). I did not read it in a book. You will not find it in any book. It was revealed to me by the spiritual process of audio clairvoyance during the celebrations of the New Millennium in 2000. Summed up it basically means no sex no drugs and no violence.

(1) From eternity to eternity, infinity to infinity, there be the one absolute. The One God there be no other God. Her names are many but she be the one true God. The one judge there be no other judge. (2) La deus nostra, notre dame, our lady, The holy spirit, the cause the maker Cosmica. (3) Angelic powers of truth and beauty and righteousness be sure to be loving her above with all your mind and with all your heart and with all your strength. (4) So as to be pleasing to her above therefore do not be serving the masculine. (5) Do not be and do not allow masculinity into positions of government. (6) Honour and respect the virgin pureness of the christae. (7) Honour and respect the Immaculate Conception [parthenogenesis] reproductive process of the christae. (8) Do not fornicate or adulterate or sodomize. (9) Do not bully or torture or murder. (10) Do not lie. (11) Do not steal. (12) Do not be covetous. (13) Do not be jealous.

He who trusts in violence to be his security cannot speak that he trusts in God to be his security.

itunes.apple.com...

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 19/4/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Organic food is bullsh*t. Can somebody answer this question?

GMO's are modified to produce 3x more food than the normal crop.

If the plant is producing "toxic chemicals" then isn't that a good thing? That means we do not have to have unnatural chemicals sprayed on them unnaturally?

Organic food uses out of date chemicals because they oppose the use of chemicals..... Thats like hating the envelopes you have to lick SO much that you oppose the self stick ones.

Organic food could barely produce 2/3rds of the global populations needs. So I do not see GMO's anywhere.

Watch this for more if a good idea on just what you people are protesting.

www.youtube.com...

Having too much food is a gift guys, don't be aholes. Think how crazy this thread would seem to somebody in africa starving. Shame on all of you

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
You know...just a wacky thought...I have been considering that the doomsday seed vault up in Norway and others like it (D.U.M.B's) were made so that a GMO food supply could "safely" be used to sterilize the great majority of the worlds population over the course of 100-200 years (the seed vault would protect original species). GMO's have been linked to infertility more than once now, as well as organ damage, so it appears to be a weapon. Of course, this is total speculation.

I think you are right on target here and the fact that so many refuse to believe is a cloud with a silver lining "BON APPETIT"!
edit on 19-4-2011 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
There are several people questioning what they can eat if they don't buy GMO or processed foods.

When I go into the grocery store, I primarily see poison. I read labels & only purchase specific items. The grocery stores are carrying more organic items. Organic food costs more, but you can pay a little more now or pay alot more with your health later.

Unless you buy organic, you aren't going to be able to avoid GMO foods. Try to buy at local produce stands, farmer's markets (which I believe are certified organic) or grow your own food. Even with little space, you can grow things in containers. If you don't have a green thumb, search for help on the internet or ask for help from somone that does.

Some packages are starting to claim that they don't contain GMO products, even though I believe it is "against the law" to do so. Trader Joe's claims that anything with their label is guaranteed to contain NO GMO.

Regarding processed foods. Look at the labels on the "food" packages. Virtually everything is full of NON-FOOD products. Seriously, I have watched labels on food become less food & more chemicals over the past 30 years. If the item you are considering purchasing doesn't have REAL, WHOLE food, (vitamins are ok), don't buy it. American Cheese - IS NOT cheese. It is a "cheese" product. This is just one perfect example of the stuff that is being pawned off on the human race as food.

Another thing to look for on labels is sugar or sugar alternatives. Not that I eat canned vegetables, but why do canned vegetables need to have high frutose corn syrup added???? Why do croutons (for your salad) or bread need high frutose corn syrup added??? I could list a myriad of products that contain unnecessary sugar.

Stick to cane sugar, preferrably as unprocessed as you can find. The processing of foods removes nutrients & changes the "chemical" make up of that food. Avoid MSG - research to find out all the names used for this horrific product, one of them is natural flavoring. Avoid sugar alternatives, especially NutraSweet, aka aspartame - THIS IS POISON (also a product of Monsanto). Monsanto sold the rights to aspartame to Ajinomoto. Because aspartame has such a bad reputation, the name was recently changed from NutraSweet to AminoSweet. If you are diabetic, use agave nectar. Avoid meat, poultry & dairy that has been injected with hormones & antibiotics.

The hormones used by the meat & dairy industries are not only recking hovac on adult bodies, but our children are suffering far more damage. Our daughters are maturing at a much faster rate, which is unhealthy in so many ways. All the hormones used are not natural to our bodies & interact with our natural chemical make up in ways that I am not sure are even being studied. Independent studies on lab rats, fed GMO corn, have shown that over, I believe, 3 generations, the offspring become sterile. That is extremely disturbing.

Disease is at an all time high, it is unbelievable how many people have problems with diabetes, heart disease & obesity. There are studies that sperm count is down, way down, in males. I see more & more young women with reproductive type problems & more & more women finding it difficult to become pregnant. These so called foods are causing the majority of these health problems.

Regardless of how you prefer to look at things, either God or nature, our bodies were not designed to eat the stuff that is being called food. If they were, it would exist without having to be made in a laboratory. Man does not know better!!!!!

You can take control. You don't have to eat that stuff. The more people that wake up to this & take it seriously & change the way they shop/eat, the more control WE have over what ends up on the grocery store shelves. WE can turn this around. WE can make a stand for clean, real food!!!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quasar_La-Zar

If the plant is producing "toxic chemicals" then isn't that a good thing? That means we do not have to have unnatural chemicals sprayed on them unnaturally?

Organic food uses out of date chemicals because they oppose the use of chemicals..... Thats like hating the envelopes you have to lick SO much that you oppose the self stick ones.

Organic food could barely produce 2/3rds of the global populations needs. So I do not see GMO's anywhere.

www.youtube.com...

Having too much food is a gift guys, don't be aholes. Think how crazy this thread would seem to somebody in africa starving. Shame on all of you

Yeah, the gift of infertility? Keep on chomping away buddy

www.trying-to-conceive.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

Originally posted by Quasar_La-Zar

www.youtube.com...

Yeah, the gift of infertility? Keep on chomping away buddy

www.trying-to-conceive.com...

Thats real funny, when 15,000 people are DIE EVERY SINGLE DAY because of the lack of this food, GMO is responsible for 1 billion more human beings on this planet. And idk, but I see MORE MOTHERS NOW THAN EVER IN HISTORY, ALL EATING THIS FOOD.

We're dealing with facts here not paranoid conspiracy theorist doomsday crying like what goes on every single thread on this site.

You can look it up for yourself, or you can be like every other protester that does not even know what they are protesting.

I bet I could get you guys to sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide use in factories around the world polluting our waters and air and food just like gmo's! cmon guys were all gonna die!

www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Would it be possible, just spitballen here, to start taking the average everyday products and brands and finding out which ones are GMO and start publishing the findings. I hear a lot of people saying "how do I know" and that is a good question, because I am not sure either as to which brands or foods to avoid. We can sit here all day telling each other to avoid GMO but until people know exactly what to avoid it is a moot point. The first step is to educate and I am requesting education.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join