It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A truly terrifying storm

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I don't know how many people on here live in southeastern US and witnessed the storm systems that have been moving through for the past couple of days. I witnessed it first hand last night, and although I have never been in an earthquake, I can't imagine an earthquake would come close. I'm sorry that I couldn't take any pictures, but it was completely black with no power at around 6 pm when it usually would have been daytime and I couldn't find a camera since my phone was dead. I can describe it like I just saw it though.

Like I said it was almost completely black except you could make out the clouds. You could see funnel clouds everywhere in the sky. It was terrifying. We were in a neighborhood with probably at least 20 of us who had been in tornados before, but none of us had seen anything like this before. All of us thought it was the end of the world. And we were all standing outside and watching. It was so terrifying it was like we just all subconsciously accepted it. Everything was moving in slow motion. There were random lights flickering and zigzagging, but we all know what those were. Then there were the bigger flashes of lightning that seemed to consume everything. What was really creepy is how the still bare trees swayed in the wind. They looked like hands reaching out to this ferocious display of the sheer power of Mother Nature.

If any of you have ever seen The Day After Tomorrow, in the scene where there are tornados swarming Los Angeles, that was almost comparable. Except this was in the real world.

There is one thing I know beyond doubt though, these increasingly powerful storm systems we have been getting lately are not normal. And what happened last night was definitely not normal. After seeing that, I have no more doubts about the fact that there is something very powerful coming.

Anyway, here are some links to articles on the storms:

www.aolnews.com...

www.aolnews.com...

www.whkp.com...

www.seattlepi.com...

So far there have been 92 reported tornados.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by cardicorona

You speak from the heart, I feel your words and I believe you.

I hope you and your friends are safe

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
i live here in raleigh, nc and we were in that storm. i didnt see any myself, but there were reports of tornados everywhere. i find this odd because im pretty sure its very very rare and highly uncommon for tornados to touch down in north carolina, especially raleigh. something is indeed going on.

i find it very odd that a super storm just appeared yesterday from out of the blue. i find it weird that this is like the first thread ive seen on this event.
edit on 17-4-2011 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
First off, I'm happy to hear that you and your family and friends made it through alright.
I feel that you completely right.
These storms are just getting bigger and more terrifying something is definitely building up or at the very least something is feeding these forces and creating bigger and bigger storms.
When does a storm make the jump from "storm" to "super storm"??

Thanks for the post OP and please take care of yourself and your family.
..Peace..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yep. Apparently 45 are dead. news.theage.com.au...

It must have been a truly terrifying sight to witness. Are you sure these are not normal though, every few years or so? Or does anyone have an alternative theory as to the apparent increase in weather activity as of late?
edit on 17-4-2011 by RenegadeScholar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I honestly feel like you are 100% telling the truth and not stretching the truth out not even a bit!
Thank you for sharing that, as you were explaining it I was trying to picture myself there and I couldn't imagine the adrenaline and feelings you were feeling at that moment. Im glad your safe!! Keep your eyes open!!
Sarah

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

it definitely was not normal

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I wish you best of luck.......

I'm surprised you even have electricity; keep us updated

Keep warm and safe

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I live near Seymour Johnson AFB, just east of Raleigh. I have lived here for 15 years, been through numerous hurricanes yet have never seen the skies so ominous as yesterday. The hail was so thick I couldn't see my sidewalk. I was just outside cleaning up and still found pockets of hail that hadn't melted yet, after 18 hrs.
When the wind was picking up and the hail began I was so thankful to have a BOB. I didn't have time to think about or gather the important items like, car keys, cash, documents, pistol, etc.
It all happend so fast, I did think of ATS and knew I was prepared should my life be spared, and felt confident. So, keep preparing and stay aware.
God bless all.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My sister lives in Fayetteville with with my 2 year old neice and another one on the way. I am just glad they are ok. I would take a ride in an earthquake out here in Cali ANY DAY than to risk being in a tornado! I am glad you are ok OPer...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

yes I too ,am here in the southeast, and have wondered about what is to come, because, as you know it is normally in the heat of the summer that the bad storms arrive, although, they were never as bad as what
we have been having..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar

It must have been a truly terrifying sight to witness. Are you sure these are not normal though, every few years or so? Or does anyone have an alternative theory as to the apparent increase in weather activity as of late?

I feel the moon has been playing a big role in the last 2 months.

last night was actually a supermoon.
edit on 4/17/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
....been a storm chaser over 10 years now.....this recent system will be one to talk about for years.....

...now looking at the possibility of a repeat on Tuesday.....hopefully this system wont be quite so strong.

Stay safe!

edit on 17-4-2011 by rinowilli because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Glad to hear that you are ok as many are not doing so well after this.

An event like this is exactly why I started this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Tried to stress the importance of having a bug-out bag for when something like this happens on a large scale.

And you're right, this kind of weather is very strange indeed. Most times we have at least a little bit of warning but seems like this one came out of nowhere...and quick. Last I heard was 44 dead. Damn!

Anyway, stay safe and well.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I live in Durham, NC and was out on a soccer field with my kids around 3pm when the storms started rolling in. Fortunately, our area didn't get the brunt of the storms, but I feel for those around here who did. We were watching with amazement the local coverage - just couldn't believe it. And as was said, this is pretty unusual for this area - we get thunderstorms and occasional tornadoes, but nothing like this. Hope it's not a harbinger of things to come...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
i live here in raleigh, nc and we were in that storm. i didnt see any myself, but there were reports of tornados everywhere. i find this odd because im pretty sure its very very rare and highly uncommon for tornados to touch down in north carolina

Not really - they seem quite common in North Carolina:

www.tornadoproject.com...

I guess in the past you've just been lucky

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
hey, there is no climate change happening, right??...all those scientists that tried to warn people were just full of crap, right?? these are just spring storms, right?? all those studies that showed more severe and dangerous weather phenonoma happening was just the talk of commie liberals, right??

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for the support. Anyone who saw what I did yesterday, saw the awesome raw power of nature. And like I said it was not normal.

The thing about these parts is that the majority of the people who live in the suburbs around here who aren't in the military have been here for awhile. I am 21 and I have lived here my entire life, and my parents have lived here for over 50 years. They both said that they have never seen anything like it.

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by XelNaga
i live here in raleigh, nc and we were in that storm. i didnt see any myself, but there were reports of tornados everywhere. i find this odd because im pretty sure its very very rare and highly uncommon for tornados to touch down in north carolina

Not really - they seem quite common in North Carolina:

www.tornadoproject.com...

I guess in the past you've just been lucky

Tornados happen in NC and VA every once in awhile, before yesterday there had been one or two here since I was born, but yesterday there were 22+ in NC alone and 5+ in VA. I doubt this is even common in tornado alley. Like I said in the six states that it crossed, it spawned 92+ tornados.

So, no tornados do not commonly come like that, not here. What is truly terrifying is that hurricane season is about to start, and if the recent storms are foreshadowing anything, then the southeast is in for hell this hurricane season.

Originally posted by -W1LL

I feel the moon has been playing a big role in the last 2 months.

last night was actually a supermoon.
edit on 4/17/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

This sounds interesting, thanks for the heads up. I'll take an in depth look at it. You may be right. Of course, we could not see the moon last night.

Originally posted by annvan

I live near Seymour Johnson AFB, just east of Raleigh. I have lived here for 15 years, been through numerous hurricanes yet have never seen the skies so ominous as yesterday. The hail was so thick I couldn't see my sidewalk. I was just outside cleaning up and still found pockets of hail that hadn't melted yet, after 18 hrs.
When the wind was picking up and the hail began I was so thankful to have a BOB. I didn't have time to think about or gather the important items like, car keys, cash, documents, pistol, etc.
It all happend so fast, I did think of ATS and knew I was prepared should my life be spared, and felt confident. So, keep preparing and stay aware.
God bless all.

Raleigh got hit pretty hard from what I hear. I hope your friends and family are alright. And here in VA, exactly like you said, there was not much time to respond. We had a watch for about maybe 30 minutes before the first one touched down in Newport News and the power went out, and we couldn't get very good radio signals, or internet, or phone service, and then about 10 or 15 minutes later I was seeing what I originally posted about. What is weird is that while I was watching this, I called my girlfriend who was about 10 miles away at work, and she said that it just looked like a regular cloudy night to her. Then I reminded her that daylight savings time was the other week and it shouldn't be getting that dark that early. I don't see how they could make people work under those conditions.
edit on 17-4-2011 by cardicorona because: misquote

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Also, I mentioned this a little bit in my original post, and I hate to turn this into a conspiracy debate, but could anyone else see strange lights behind the clouds? We could see a few government looking helicopters flying, and maybe a couple were emergency ones. But there were also other crafts zigzagging above it or through it. It was hard to tell. During the lighting flashes you could just make out the silhouettes and they didn't look like planes of any kind or helicopters for that matter. Some of the lights seemed multicolored and so could possibly have been airplanes or helicopters, but some seemed a little more undescribable. Did anyone else see any of this? My eyes may have been playing tricks on me.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Wow.
The company I work for has a major data center (or had!) in Raleigh.
Those systems have yet to phone home... Not good.
I certainly hope for everyone's safety and having an emergency kit/rations/water cache is obviously very
important these days. Stay Safe!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join