It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YES! Ireland Says Not In This Country: Bans Genetically Modified Crops

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

Originally posted by Kali74

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

...and when Monsanto sues all the organic farmers out of business, what then? Or when the GMO crops contaminate non GMO crops what then? It isn't about knowing what to eat and what not to eat, it's about losing the choice about what we eat. Dude.

Listen BRO, is Monsanto going to ever get to that point without triggering their own deadly demise by angry gunfire? I think not...you take that kind of choice away and you leave no choice. Who is going to ban the growing of food in your back yard? Is the answer to a corrupt system MORE LAWS and PROHIBITION? HOW ABOUT SHOOTING Monsanto's thugs when they come to sue a local farmer huh? How about a community coming together, guns drawn to defend their food freedoms?

You're in complete denial about how far this gone, Monsanto has their own mercenaries. Not everyone can grow food in their backyard or enough food in their backyard...not to mention how is anyone going to be able to stop cross-pollination? Monsanto is quickly gaining control of the world food supply. Wake up. Brah.

Wake up to what? More control at all levels of government? No thanks, I would rather simply see people take responsibility for their food intake and be informed. I am in no denial about GMO's, the infertility link e.c.t, but I am too aware of what happens when people go running to government for oversight, regulation and banning things. I will not support disarming an attacker while tightening a noose around my neck.Slim.
edit on 17-4-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

Do you not read? How can we take full responsibility for our food? Not everyone has the ability to grow their own plus eventually it will all be contaminated with GMO pollen how do you not understand this? All GMO crops ought to be banned. Sometime or another we need to use our government for what it was intended for like freedom of choice. Chief.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
If you want to know what food would be like without any government intervention, you should read Upton Sinclair's, The Jungle.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

But the internal revolution of Egypt is totally different from the earth quakes in Japan. What dots are you talking about?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Prince Charles is a blithering idiot subject to his own family's inbred genetics. The reaction in this thread is laughable. First of all everyone is celebrating a non-event that is over two years old. Doesn't look like anyone is "denying ignorance" there. Tnen everyone is seemingly insanely happy that GM foods are having a hard time with hand-wringing governments all over the world.

The fact is that we have been genetically altering both plants and animals as long as we have domesticated either. No, the Native Americans didn't use an electron micoscope and have gander at the DNA, but they took a small fingerling plant about half the size of your little finger and turned it into the staple crop of corn (maize) for a couuple of continents. Now THAT was some feat of engineering, and it took them a few thousand years, but they did a marvelous job. It's not a stretch to say that every single plant that is a staple in the world's diet has been genetically engineered. From rice to soy beans, from flax to rye, from hard red winter wheat to soft red lucious strawberries, every single one of these plants is bigger, more nutritious, and hardier than its wild non-engineered predecessor. If the Irish had engineered their potatoes to resist blight, maybe millions wouldn't have died of starvation.

And we've done the same thing with animals. My little dog up there was genetically engineered from a species of grey wolf. He doesn't bite, kill livestock and, except for being a money pit, is a whole lot nicer being for hanging around humans than an unpredictable wolf. I'd say it's an improvement myself. He's certainly not the only one.

Now I see this knee-jerk reaction of "GM = Bad" and I think, what absolute nonsense. If you guys are successful (and I pray you are not) perhaps you can take the blame for a few hundreds of millions of more people dying of starvation because some idiot bureaucrats decided they knew more about the science of GM than the actual scientists researching the issue. This is just another example of the ill-informed stifling innovation and preventing civilization from improving the standard of living for everyone.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Our food was fine as it was, never been any need to mess around with it in the first place.... not only has it cost more to produce it this way, the costs have rocketed in the stores!!

Didn't need spray's on our crops.... all of this is just another way to make us pay more

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
GM crops are evil!

Worse yet, they say "it is to help the poor hungry 3rd world population" yet it is US, in the DEVELOPED WORLD that is growing this junk and eating it!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by notsoperfect

How about testing the GMO crops to animals first. The animals may avoid to eat them in the first place and then it is a failure. And next see if the animals develop any disease or health problems then it is also a failure. But it seems like totally rejecting all the GMO crops sounds like a little bit illogical. I would go by the policy that imposing stringent test and report of the results investigated by third party scientists who are not bought by any of the GMO developing companies or have any conflict of interest with them.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

There's a huge difference between what you describe which is selective breeding and GMO, here is a great comparison between the two and a great insight article as well.

Selective breeding is the process of developing a plant or animal based on selecting desirable characteristics of the parent. For example, saving seeds for replanting from plants within a crop that have shown to be particularly robust or breeding a white dog with a black patch over its eye via two parents that have the same trait.

GMO

GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism. When used in reference to food GMO is usually shorted to GM. This is where the genes from one species can be introduced into an entirely different species through human intervention.

For example, taking a gene from a jellyfish and inserting it into the zebrafish genome created the glofish—a fish that glows in the dark.

Another example is genes from a bacteria inserted into food crops so that the crop can create its own insecticide. These plants and animals are also known as transgenic.

Sound a little freaky? Well, if you’re living in the USA, it gets worse as 70 per cent of the food in U.S. supermarkets contains bioengineered ingredients (corn and soy being the two biggies), but GM labeling is forbidden in the USA; so you’ll never know what it’s in.

Full article here

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Sorry to tell you people but that's just not true. Prior to the current criminal government of Peter Sutherland's Goldman Sach's backed Fine Gael we had a coalition of the World Bank's Fianna Fail together with Al "Man Bear Pig" Gore's Green Party. As the last act of a dying regime (see - we in the west can use that word too) the greens strongly protested at how their coalition partners had allowed the genetically modified s*h*i*t*e to slip under the radar and become legally allowed here.

Still though.... Britain's Got Talent has just started so never mind.

I am Jack's flaming sense of angry sarcasm.

Romantic Ireland is dead and gone... tis with O leary in the grave
edit on 17-4-2011 by Wolfetone because: cencorship

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
...while at the same time they import boatloads of uneducated third world people unchecked into the country and put them on the dole, unless you can actually contribute to society, then you go to the back of the line. One step forward, ten steps back.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Oh fantastic news. It’s good to wake up and read some good news for once.

I wish Australia would ban all GMO and ingredients with GMO in them.
I’m with Charles on this one. GMO is the biggest environmental disaster of all time.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Oh wow, the only thing I eat from that list is corn, but rarely. I'm still strongly against Monsanto, though.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I cant understand why America doesn't follow suit.. we have more farm land than we need, there is no reason why we need super modified foods that can produce more for less and so on..

Buy organic when you can, and for some things like meats and milk, check to make sure no hormones were used.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dannkk

Originally posted by die_another_day
In a world where 3 billion people go to bed hungry... I think GM crops might be better than organic food.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The idea that GM crops can produce more food than non gm crops is a myth perpetuated by Monsanto. It's what they told us when they began bringing this stuff out in the 90s. It's what you saw on the news, in movies and heard in music at that time. It's not true. You don't see the 50lb GM tomato anymore, do you? It was propaganda.

There is plenty of food on Earth to feed everyone. The people going to bed hungry live in countries that have screwed them over. Instead of making their own economies, they go into debt with the world banks and then can't afford to import food. This is when they get their GM food, as the US or Monsanto sells them GM seed at hugely discounted prices.

I have an idea of what I'm talking about.

I've worked in a lab for 3 years now. I think it's pretty amazing what genetic modification can do to speed up evolution.

The problem with GM crop companies is that they are evil. It's not the plants or anything. Mosanto is trying to make a monopoly in the agricultural market because they patent everything and sues the land out of anyone who has GM seeds in their field for whatever reason..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm interested in the feed back from ATS on this subject

GMO's is responsible for 1/3rd of the HUMAN BEINGS on this planet

Organic food uses pesticides, out of date ones that are less effective than the current growers today.

So, continue to ban GMO's because your not the 1/3rd that has to die, BECAUSE YOU EAT IT EVERY FRIGGEN DAY!!!!!!

I swear ATS is dumber than the sheeple sometimes.....

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Good for Ireland! I'm proud to have Irish blood in me.

Now let's see how long it takes big money to buy out Irish laws, or if they can hold their ground despite lobbyists and other political influences.

Edit to add, I'm surprised to see anyone defending genetically modified food. Look up studies about how it affects human genetics. The bad ones that people are obviously ignoring. Dr. Mercola's website is a good start.
edit on 17-4-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Did anyone notice that both Egypt and Japan have banned the growing of genetically modified foods as well. And Haiti refused Monsanto seeds, and burned them. Smell like a motive?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scorpitarius

Did anyone notice that both Egypt and Japan have banned the growing of genetically modified foods as well. And Haiti refused Monsanto seeds, and burned them. Smell like a motive?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4774e95c9e2d.gif[/atsimg]
Smells so eheh
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4774e95c9e2d.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scorpitarius

Japan and China also allegedly put an ultimatum to Western powers, to stop the bloody wars or else they were going to begin assigning professional assassins to them and picking them off one-by-one. This is as of about two years ago, and there was already one earthquake under a nuclear plant since then that was before the recent tsunami and didn't result in any catastrophe. I think TPTB over here are more than a little worried about Japan and China.

As far as Egypt, Haiti, Libya, etc... I have a feeling these countries have it better than we do in several important ways, or did, before all this recent political drama. Libya paid all newly-wed couples $50,000 to buy their own place, paid money for each kid, no interest rates or significant taxes like we have in the West, etc. Who wants to bet all that is going to change under their new government and "central bank" too?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ah, those wonderful Irish folks. Bless you! Stand strong, we won't the world rid of Monsanto.

Monsanto might think they own stuff, but when it comes down to the facts, they are just people. They are no bigger and badder than anyone. We need to toss them out of the free world on the rumps. That means, get your bum in jail. Community service means you are responsible for cleaning up the mess you have made, even if you have to hand pick your poisonous crops off of our planet.

Troy

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join