It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Gets Arrested For Making Joke In New York City

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I got a nice fine for stunting once for giving a policeman # for giving someone a ticket for a burned out headlight. That did wonders for my insurance. I think it's the 80/20 rule though. There are some good cops but probably more bad ones. They've also been of great help to me in a couple of situations so I know there are good ones out there.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
No doubt the cop got pissed off because of the training wheels comment the joker made. Basically, the cop was made to feel about six inches tall (and rightfully so) because he has nothing better to do than play kiddie monitor. Police Officers are nothing more than glorified money collectors and shakedown artists for the state (now you know why they carry guns).

By the way, how's that major ticket fixing scandal going in NYC? I believe the Bronx DA is handling the matter. Let's not publicize it too much though, because we still want to give the impression that there are only a few bad apples on the force.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Originally posted by Cycleiron
Having said that our "Comedian" in this little farce really didn't help his cause now did he?

He's allowed not to help the pigs.

He's even allowed to make jokes.

That's the problem.

We don't need people making excuses for the pigs, we need people to stand up for our rights before we don't have them anymore.

I'm not saying he's not allowed to have a joke, far from it. My point was that it was his reaction to the police request to see his I.D that got him into trouble, NOT the fact that he'd cracked "A funny".

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Whatever happened to:

"protect & serve"?

The new moddo should be:

"harass & intimidate"

Absolute GARBAGE. like an earlier member said, cops make up their own rules & laws on the spot.

edit on 19-4-2011 by Surreality11 because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by areyouserious2010

Ok thats great and all...
BUT...
a little bit of common sense would've done this situation good. On both sides.
If that was "disorderly conduct" then im hella afraid of whats to come in the future.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

You priorities for the police have absolutely no bearing on this situation. The police are paid to enforce the law. How do you know what the problems are for that area? How do you know that people riding their bicycles on the sidewalk is not a "quality of life" problem for that area and needed to be enforced. You do not know what the priorities of that area should be and have no basis to comment on them.

The police said, "mind your business," in effect telling him to "keep walking." The guy refused and continued to be disorderly.

The guy on the bike could have walked his bicycle to the street and then started riding it if it is against the law to ride your bike on the sidewalk in New York.

How do you know the other man was jay walking? Do you know the traffic laws involving pedestrians in New York State? If the disorderly guy was not causing so much of a disturbance, maybe they would have been able to pay attention to the guy jaywalking.

If you are stopped for doing 60 in a 55 you are still speeding and the officer has every right to stop you. How do you know someone is doing 80 as they are "wizzing" by? Officers can not even judge how fast someone is going just by looking at them that is why they use radar. And, if you were not speeding in the first place the police would have ignored you and caught the guy going 80 if you are so worried about it.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010

You priorities for the police have absolutely no bearing on this situation. The police are paid to enforce the law. How do you know what the problems are for that area? How do you know that people riding their bicycles on the sidewalk is not a "quality of life" problem for that area and needed to be enforced. You do not know what the priorities of that area should be and have no basis to comment on them.

The police said, "mind your business," in effect telling him to "keep walking." The guy refused and continued to be disorderly.

The guy on the bike could have walked his bicycle to the street and then started riding it if it is against the law to ride your bike on the sidewalk in New York.

How do you know the other man was jay walking? Do you know the traffic laws involving pedestrians in New York State? If the disorderly guy was not causing so much of a disturbance, maybe they would have been able to pay attention to the guy jaywalking.

If you are stopped for doing 60 in a 55 you are still speeding and the officer has every right to stop you. How do you know someone is doing 80 as they are "wizzing" by? Officers can not even judge how fast someone is going just by looking at them that is why they use radar. And, if you were not speeding in the first place the police would have ignored you and caught the guy going 80 if you are so worried about it.

That's the problem...a police telling someone to mind their business isn't a command police have the benefit of. Unless they're telling it to someone within their jurisdiction. The guy hadn't committed any crime.

As you say, a policemans job is to enforce the law...where was this guy enforcing the law concerning the jokester?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Surreality11

Should the guy have exercised a little more common sense and not have said anything at all? Absolutely.

Should the guy have exercised a little more common sense and heard the officer say "mind your business" and kept walking? Yup.

Should the police have used a little more common sense and given the guy just a little bit more time to shut up and keep walking? I would say yes, a very short additional amount of time would have probably brought it out of the gray area of disorderly conduct.

Are there people everyday whose actions in front of the police fit the definition of disorderly conduct? Absolutely. Do most of those people go free because the police show a little more tolerance? Yes, again.

Was the guy breaking the law in New York State prohibiting disorderly conduct? Yes, according to the letter of the law.

Should the guy have exercised a little more common sense and handed the officer his identification when the officer clearly stated that he was issuing a citation. Yes.

When you list it out, it appears the gentleman arrested had many more opportunities to exercise "common" sense in this situation but it appears most believe it is the police officer's fault the man was arrested.

This situation is being used as an excuse to cry POLICE STATE or POLICE CORRUPTION and completely bash ALL police officers everywhere. Is that wrong? Yes.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

The police telling the man to "mind his own business" was not a command. It was a warning by the officer telling the man to stop what you are doing before you cause a problem.

I think you might be mistaken on the definition of jurisdiction. In this case, the officer is an officer of the New York Police Department. They are in New York City. The officer has full jurisdiction in the City of New York. So unless they are really in Bumsville, Arkansas, the officer has full jurisdiction.

I have already posted the exact legal definition of disorderly conduct for the State of New York, from a reputable source, in a previous post. I suggest you go back and look at it.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You cant blame him for being in a hurry and not wanting to show his i.d.,he was late for the Maury Povich show.He had to take a dna test to prove to baby mama that he wasnt the baby daddy.The cops should have cut him a break.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

DISCLAIMER: I do not condone the "ticket fixing" scandal of the New York Police Department. It is a good thing that they have caught the problem and are taking measures to fix it. This post in no way excuses or justifies the alleged misconduct of those officers. This post is merely to bring a little bit of perspective into your comments on trying to present the image of only a few bad apples on the force. And, by the way, has nothing to do with the topic of the original post.

It was last reported that 400 officers of the NYPD could face misconduct charges in light of the scandal. It alleges that these officers would provide favors for family members or friends by using various methods to either make the ticket go away or not show up in court.

Ticket Fixing Scandal

Obviously this sort of conduct is wrong and no one is excusing that fact. But on the spectrum of police corruption, I would submit that the severity is on the low end. None the less, it is still wrong and the officer's should be held accountable as they are.

If we take the number of officers accused (of which some may be exonerated during the investigation) and divide that number by the total number of sworn police officers in the NYPD, you get the actual percentage of NYPD police officers caught up in this scandal.

400/34,500=roughly .01 or 1% when rounded.

Wikipedia NYPD

I know it is wikipedia but I think we can agree that the number of total sworn officers is somewhat accurate.

So, based on the math, we have 1% of the NYPD caught up in this scandal. I would submit that because, although wrong, this type of misconduct is on the lower end of severity in police corruption, you would see a greater amount of police engaging in the activity then say more serious acts of police corruption.

1% would be the definition of a few bad apples.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Just think about it. The State and NYC are absolutely completely broke.

Its all about money and these Policemen are trying to protect their own jobs.

Looking at the big picture it really portrays how desperate the big Cities and States really are these days.

The Police are being used as Revenue officers. What next are the Fire Depts going to go ticket people for improperly extinguishing the cigarette they recently tossed to the ground ?

Look at what is going on ... the bike messenger ATS member poster here describing the enforcement of the Red Lights.....

The other NYC poster describing the flurry of tickets written after the snow storm....

Unfortunately they are carrying this out by working not to arrest criminals but instead to extract as much money as possible from the public simply due to the fact NYC and New York as well as most States are completely broke.

As usual in the United States of America, it's all about the MONEY.

edit on 19-4-2011 by nh_ee because: typos...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010

Well at least i now understand how Hitler controled his people and how they let their police force form. People want to be ruled this way. if it is disruptive and causing a disturbance to joke with someone you pas on the side walk i am totaly sure it is disruptive to stand on the sidewalk and talk bad about your government. When the people start standing up for the lose of freedom we all lose forever.
Some day when it all gets worse those will look back and say 'why did we let it happen".

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Having said that our "Comedian" in this little farce really didn't help his cause now did he?

He's allowed not to help the pigs.

He's even allowed to make jokes.

That's the problem.

We don't need people making excuses for the pigs, we need people to stand up for our rights before we don't have them anymore.

I'm not saying he's not allowed to have a joke, far from it. My point was that it was his reaction to the police request to see his I.D that got him into trouble, NOT the fact that he'd cracked "A funny".

When it becomes ok for the police to ask for your ID because you TALKED on the sidewalk...we have the Gestapo! in most places we don't have to carry ID just to walk down the street...only if you are driving. if we have to carry ID everytime we go for a walk we have lost our freedom, might as well get the mark of the beast.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
What concerns me is that someone deliberately set up a camera to film this. Is it normal in NYC for people to hide in apartments filming everything that happens in the hope of capturing an altercation?

Talk about Big Brother!

Or is it a set-up?

edit on 19-4-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What you mean setup? You must mean whipped out iphone and pushed a button.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
What you mean setup? You must mean whipped out iphone and pushed a button.

Well I would like to see the hundreds of occasions when this person filmed people in the street when nothing untoward happened.

And I still want to know what gives him the right to spy on people and film our every move? As I say ....... it's Big Brother.

Or, if he does not spend his whole life doing this, what a remarkable coincidence that the one time he does, events transpire like this.

I thought in a conspiracy website folk would be more conspiracy minded and less trusting of the 'official' story?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
This video could have been taken in Nazi Germany, thats how scary this is, hear the cop telling him to mind his own business? Who is he to relieve this citizen of his first amendment rights?

Those cops should be immediately fired and charged with false arrest.

False arrest? Hardly enough. Those pigs abducted that man. They need to be sentenced accordingly. In fact, I'd say that they need to see a harsher sentence than would be normally imposed on a kidnapper, as they have great authority and therefore should have far greater accountability.
It's really about time we put a stop to this $#!+ people.
Stand up for your damned rights or they will take away what little we have left,
Q&A

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Start spreading the news....

New York, New York

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Did you even watch the video? That biker was his cousin (!?) and went from their front door few feet to the street on a bike and was stopped. At which point the guy pulls out his phone and starts filming. It's not like he sits there all day waiting for something to happen. In case you really want to dig into this "aspect" of the case then perhaps you should try to and measure how long it'll take for you to pull out a phone and start recording. Also relevant here is the fact that he has every right as quaranteed by law to film there. It's a public space. No expectation of privacy. Maybe it would be better to just focus on the real issue here

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join