It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Gets Arrested For Making Joke In New York City

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The police are 'Code Enforcers' nothing more. And with states going broke at free fall rate, they are revenue collectors. Serving the law makers. When they become nationalized, the S will HTF!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by pngxp
all the people freaking out about abuse of power are all correct.

we should do away with all laws, everything from jaywalking to murder.

that way, when you decide you want to cross the street whenever YOU want, regardless of everyone else around, and you get hit by a car and killed. the driver wont be charged with murder. because all laws are bad and pointless right?

oh wait.

and as for the 2nd guy. it really is his fault and his fault alone. when cops tell you to do something, you do it. whether its to stop running your mouth or to put the weapon down. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO IT. PERIOD. if you dont, thats your decision and you have to face the consequences.

society has laws for a reason, it needs laws for a reason. and if everyone starts picking and choosing which ones they deem appropriate, it all collapses.

yes the cops should have and could have handled it better. a simple warning should be more than sufficient for a minor infraction. but still. laws are laws.

Wow...you make a good robot. Really!

When a cop tells you to do something you're supposed to do it??? Says what law? Who gives/gave them this authority?

Only someone who doesn't know his/her Rights thinks as you do.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

Ok, first video, obviously under the law the guy was correct or he would not have walked away from the scene. Without further research into New Mexico State Law, we can either assume that no law applied to the situation or the officers did not choose to apply any law that might have fit the situation.

However, who else thinks that it is a good idea to walk into an officer's traffic stop while open carrying a firearm? Maybe this guy does not really recognize how volatile the "routine" traffic stop is for an officer. Many officer's are shot and killed while conducting "routine" traffic stops. Just dealing with the person in the vehicle is enough to worry about but having someone walk up carrying a firearm is rediculous.

Standing across the street and watching? Sure go right ahead. Standing across the street and video taping? Sure if the officer has nothing to hide then I'm sure there will be no problem. Walking into the traffic stop? You might get away with it if the officer is leinient. Walking into a traffic stop open carrying a sidearm? Should not happen in a million years.

Sure it may be legal to open carry in New Mexico but you have to think of the police officer's right to his own personal safety while conducting his job.

So, the solution to this problem is either apply a law that fits this situation and take neccessary action against this rediculous guy or lobby the New Mexico State Legislature to make it illegal to do something like this so in the future it will be illegal.

Second video, again we have someone standing near a traffic stop with a sidearm. If it is an open carry state, I believe they were far enough away to not be immediately threatening while carrying their sidearm. But, once again the officer was well within his rights to investigate the situation because it is out of the ordinary.

Third video. Very informative and completely correct. There is no argument against the information provided by this video. It is a common police tactic, if you have a problem in a certain area, to stop and talk to people in that area. Lets say you have a rash of burglaries in an area during the day time. The police will flood the area and stop and identify people. This is done to show a presence in the area to prevent further burglaries and to produce a record of someone being in that area so if another burglary is discovered later they know who was around.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
When in doubt,always refer to rule number 1-dont scream at cops.If you get confused,you can always refer to rule number 3--if I continually scream at cops,I may get my ass kicked,get tasered to the nutsack,fined, jailed or all of the above.If you have a serious doubt about what to do in a situation,Refer to rule number 4--by continuing on with my actions,most likely I will spend the evening in jail.Is this where I want to spend the rest of my night?If you answer no,keep your mouth shut.If the answer is yes,continue on screaming.

You're a very compliant person...they'd love you in prison! When Big Harry tells you to tossthesalad I guess you'd comply with no problem?

The entire point is, that police puts his pants on the same as I do, he has no more authority over a free person than I do. That man could walk past and yell whatever he wants. He was in no way interferring with that officers job. Now if the guy has any knowledge, that officers job is in danger and the city is at risk of losing a couple dollars.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

So what law was he enforcing? Can you answer this?

I suppose you can't, if this is the case, please reevaluate your take on law enforcement and their authority.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

The police enforce the law. There is a law against disorderly conduct in the State of New York. The guy initiated the process that led to his arrest. Period. If you dont like the law, lobby to have it repealed or amended.

There is punishment for blatantly violating someone's civil rights. Officers can be arrested and charged for blatant violations. If the officer lied about the events that transpired in order to obtain a charge then that would be an obvious violation. It is a matter of difference of opinion when you disagree with the police officer. That is where the judicial officer comes in and establishes if the officer has probable cause. No probable cause? The person is released.

A simple not guilty finding is not enough to establish if a person's civil rights were violated. A not guilty finding can result from a number of reasons that are beyond the officer's control.

Technically, if you are stopped by the police and issued a citation you are "under arrest" for the duration of the stop because you are not free to leave. Technically, a traffic stop or stop like this is considered a seizure under the fourth amendment.

Again, this is not a challenge of the first amendment. He was not arrested for what he said he was arrested for the situation he was causing. The first amendment protects freedom of speech, disorderly conduct laws protect the right of everyone else to be in a public place in peace.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Please, read the previous posts. The NYPD officer as enforcing the law in New York State that prohibits disorderly conduct.

I posted the language of the law. After reading, it can be established that the man's actions fit disorderly conduct under the letter of the law.
edit on 18-4-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: edit to add

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

If that guy doesnt have an extensive criminal record,I will never make another post on this site.

You aren't slick...

Every black guy who cracks a joke doesn't have a extensive record, and every black guy who cracks a joke doesn't have only a foodstamp card as identification.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

When in doubt,always refer to rule number 1-dont scream at cops.If you get confused,you can always refer to rule number 3--if I continually scream at cops,I may get my ass kicked,get tasered to the nutsack,fined, jailed or all of the above.If you have a serious doubt about what to do in a situation,Refer to rule number 4--by continuing on with my actions,most likely I will spend the evening in jail.Is this where I want to spend the rest of my night?If you answer no,keep your mouth shut.If the answer is yes,continue on screaming.

You're a very compliant person...they'd love you in prison! When Big Harry tells you to tossthesalad I guess you'd comply with no problem?

The entire point is, that police puts his pants on the same as I do, he has no more authority over a free person than I do. That man could walk past and yell whatever he wants. He was in no way interferring with that officers job. Now if the guy has any knowledge, that officers job is in danger and the city is at risk of losing a couple dollars.
No,you cant walk by people and scream whatever you want.This is called disorderly conduct.This is a misdeameanor crime.Repeat 100 times ,maybe it will sink into your head,Repeatedly screaming at people in public is disorderly conduct.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010

Please, read the previous posts. The NYPD officer as enforcing the law in New York State that prohibits disorderly conduct.

I posted the language of the law. After reading, it can be established that the man's actions fit disorderly conduct under the letter of the law.
edit on 18-4-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: edit to add

It will depend upon interpretation of the language of the Law/Code.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

No,you cant walk by people and scream whatever you want.This is called disorderly conduct.This is a misdeameanor crime.Repeat 100 times ,maybe it will sink into your head,Repeatedly screaming at people in public is disorderly conduct.

The guy on the bike showed no discomfort and even joked back. He didn't ask for police rescue. Which brings us to the issue of, was the guy even screaming? In my opinion he was not.

There was no crime and no disorderly conduct.

If the Magistrate/Judge isn't a tool this case will be dismissed. If the system is corrupt as I believe the guy will get off with a fine (revenue for the city).

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The criminal in new york who got arrested was required to show i.d. because he was instigating a fight...
...Case closed.

Stop with the trolling. Or perhaps the department heads are giving you a hard time for doing a stupid bust that makes everyone look bad???
Since when saying "I'm not talking to you, man" "instigating a fight"? You must get into fights quite alot

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

The criminal in new york who got arrested was required to show i.d. because he was instigating a fight...
...Case closed.

Stop with the trolling. Or perhaps the department heads are giving you a hard time for doing a stupid bust that makes everyone look bad???
Since when saying "I'm not talking to you, man" "instigating a fight"? You must get into fights quite alot
Maybe you should turn up the volume on the video or put a new battery in the hearing aid.The man said you are a grown man,you should know better than that.Essentially saying the man was stupid.That is what pissed the cops off and rightfully so.They gave him a second chance and said keep on moving,the man refused to keep on moving and proceeded to talk crap to the officers.Hence, the disorderly conduct charge.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Yes sir, you are absolutely correct. And this officer interpereted it as he was breaking the law. So he wanted to issued a citation. And if the guy said, "OK here is my identification," he would have been sent on his way after receiving said citation. Then in court a judge or jury would have made there ruling. Instead he decided to refuse to provide identification leading to his arrest.

Even after being arrested, he will see a judicial officer to determine if there is probable cause if he was not cited and released from the station after being properly identified. If he were to go infront of a judicial officer (not a police officer or in any was associated with the police department) they would say," yes there is probable cause," or, "there is no probable cause," and the man would go free.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by brindle

Why is it that the cop then didn't get the charge? He is the one who started it. This guy was making jokes with the bicyclist. Then the cop starts to yell at him at which point he says "I'm not talking to you man".

edit on 18/4/2011 by PsykoOps because: reply to

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I cant believe how long it took the cops to throw that moron into the paddywagon.The second he refused to show i.d.,the cop should have said to his partner open the van door,Then the 2 cops do the patented bouncer bar throw.You know,the one where each guy has one hand on a pant leg and one hand on a shirt grip.That is a classic throw.Every time you see a quality bar bouncer throw,you recognize it truly is an art form

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
these videos piss me off. without the badge these people are cowards, and scum. i believe in karma so they'll eventually have to pay for messing with peoples lives.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
props to the camera man.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join