It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Gets Arrested For Making Joke In New York City

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

If I were in that police officer's position would I have made an arrest or issued a criminal citation? Not unless it escalated beyond what was seen in the video.

Did the officer have probable cause to charge the guy with disorderly conduct? Yes.

The police officer's duty is to enforce the law. Through this duty, public peace, safety and order are promoted.

It is unfair to look at this and scream POLICE STATE and ABUSE OF POWER when really the guy was making a scene and the officer had probable cause to charge him with disorderly conduct.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Like I said, A police officer can ask anyone they want for ID. If they suspect someone of a particular crime they can make an investigative detention and demand identification.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by areyouserious2010

I live in Texas. Mexico does not have our constitution. Mexico has been known for police corruption since I was small. It has only gotten steadily worse over the decades. It is the police corruption that broke down the rule of law in Mexico and left open the door to what is happening now with the drug mafia taking over. It is not because Mexico is poor. Mexico has always been poor.

The only thing that stands between us and Mexico is the rule of law. The supreme law in the US is the constitution. If the rule of law breaks down in our police officers, it no longer exists. Then you have Mexico.

No one minds officers arresting truly bad guys who are breaking the law. This kind of egoic harassing nonsense, though, really has to stop. There is no gain in it; only loss.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by areyouserious2010

So they can just stand on the street corner and ask for ID for everyone who passes by them? They need a reason to do that. Then they can ask. You are free to say no.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

A LOT of ASSUMPTIONS about what's going on are being made. We don't know what was really going on. Interesting that the benefit of the doubt in these situations NEVER is given to the cops.

People bitch and bitch about the "brutality" of the cops in the U.S. but if you knew what goes on in other countries every day you'd realize just how much better we have it.

Cops are humans and they put up with a lot of # you wouldn't take. They deserve some respect.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010
reply to post by PsykoOps

Like I said, A police officer can ask anyone they want for ID. If they suspect someone of a particular crime they can make an investigative detention and demand identification.

WRONG, a cop has NO RIGHT to ask for an ID. If there is no victim, then there is no crime. Probable cause is very thin ice and the Citizen may rightfully refuse to show ANY ID. What is a "particular crime"? Who is the victim, please explain this to us.

Show me the law, and the enforcement clause in ANY state Constitution or the federal Constitution. I can show you where these officers acted illegally and unlawfully.

Can you prove your case.

18 USC section 241 and 242, 18 USC 1621, 28 USC 1746, 42 USC 1982, 1983, 1985 and 1986.

Federal Code, ALL officers perjure their oaths of office, IF they have even filed one. If they have NOT filed a written oath of office within 15 days of accepting the position, then they are guilty of impersonating an officer, a federal offense.

What happens is the county recorder files it FOR the officer, the officer NEVER signs it. So it is null and void, but how many people know this? I'll bet zero to .01%, that is a few of us. Cops enforce "color of law" statutes, fictions of law. Look up these very definitions.

Ignorance is rampant in this thread and on ATS.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

The dope dealers, out of control traffic, and mafia are all parts of the same Elite Rulers that make the Nazi laws that handcuff you. Wake up and look around. The dope dealers are getting their supplies straight from Uncle Sam. How do you think the US of snakes gets their war money to continue killing millions of humans? This goes far beyond corrupt cops. The entire system is corrupt. Every law on the book is used to enslave mankind. Go by the basics. No victim, No crime. Stop all the corrupt Nazi tactics that drains the lifeblood out of a society.

Sure their are good people who work as cops but they are nothing but Pawns in the Game. They are actually more pathetic to the elite than the peasants like you and me. The Elite know how stupid they are because if they thought for one min they would realize they are enslaving humans which includes them. They believe that a piece of paper with symbols and funny colors actually means something. Money is an illusion to keep mankind enslaved. Look at all the laws centered around creating more funny color paper with symbols on it. It is PAPER and means nothing. Until WE as Humans realize this and banish the Elite then we will remain slaves.

If there really are some good cops left, I pray you will see that you are nothing but Pawns in the Game. You will be taken out first when TSHTF because the Elite will not allow any sharp shooting good cops around. Only storm troopers who are mind controlled will kill their own kind.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
We are all "Pawns in the game".

I suggest you all learn to play the game before you become forfeit.

The so called "victim" in this video made himself a martyr by doing what he did according to many of the posters here. I for one just think he should of kept his trap shut. The Law enforcement officers where initially issuing a simple ticket for riding a bike on the side walk, which is against the law in New York City, along with every other major or minor city I have ever been in. The "victim" in question decided to tell a joke in passing to the person being ticketed...no big deal. The law enforcement officers told him to move along which is normal.....BUT HE DID NOT he decided to stay and interfere with the LEO's job........He is no longer a innocent bystander at this point.

The moral to this ramble is: DONT MAKE YOUR SELF A TARGET.
edit on 17-4-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Dont hate officers and call them derogitory terms. It doesnt improve anything. However what these officers did is definatly illegal and wrong. You CANNOT arrest some one for freedom of speech. There was no crime. This is facism. I am angry about this but I am saddened at the same time that this thread has turned into a hate thread against the police force.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
First, what the United States Supreme Court said. What the United States Supreme Court held in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Dist. Court (2004) 542 U.S. 177, was that a state could make it a crime for a person to refuse to identify himself (i.e., tell the officer his name and address) when lawfully detained for criminal activity. Note that the Supreme Court did NOT say that any kind of identification papers could be required, nor did they say that police officers could ordinarily arrest someone for refusing to identify himself absent a state law permitting that arrest. There is no law in the United States requiring everybody to carry ID, at least not yet.

There is NO law in California requiring anybody to carry identification. There is no law making it illegal for anyone (even someone lawfully detained) to fail to have identification papers or to refuse to identify himself (there was such a law, which was declared unconstitutional). Thus, Hiibel is of no effect in California, since there is no comparable law there. (It is, however, a crime to give a FALSE identification.)

A person CANNOT be arrested just for failing to identify himself or failing to have ID, even with a lawful detention. It is NOT interfering with an officer. The only effect of not having ID occurs if a police officer has probable cause to believe an arrestee has committed a criminal offense. A police officer who could otherwise give an arrestee a citation to appear would instead take the person into custody to appear before a magistrate. But this is ONLY if the officer has probable cause to believe the person has committed a crime--NOT just because the person did not have ID.

Of course, one must have identification in his or her possession when driving, and a police officer obviously can demand to see a drivers license from any driver lawfully detained.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheKnave
Dont hate officers and call them derogitory terms. It doesnt improve anything. However what these officers did is definatly illegal and wrong. You CANNOT arrest some one for freedom of speech. There was no crime. This is facism. I am angry about this but I am saddened at the same time that this thread has turned into a hate thread against the police force.

But from the LEO's point of view there was a crime....he was interfering with his job, which is a crime. Freedom of speech is still respected here, untill it interferes with the ability to do the job that they are required to do. If the person "victim" felt like the LEO was incorrect he could of dialed 911..his or her lawyer or some other knowledgeable law knowledgeable person..but he didnt. END OF STORY

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
he was interfering with his job, which is a crime.

And there is the part where you missed the mark completely. That doesn't come even close to intefering.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

But from the LEO's point of view there was a crime....he was interfering with his job, which is a crime. Freedom of speech is still respected here, untill it interferes with the ability to do the job that they are required to do. If the person "victim" felt like the LEO was incorrect he could of dialed 911..his or her lawyer or some other knowledgeable law knowledgeable person..but he didnt. END OF STORY

There was no crime. A comment, no matter how derogitory, is not a crime. This is America, even though that doesnt seem to mean much now days. The officers got out of their van and escilated the situation when it did not need to be escilated.
edit on 17-4-2011 by TheKnave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I e-mailed the NYPD and also fox news anyone who agrees that this officer is in the right dosent deserve to be called an american!!!!!!!! I am a law enforcement officer and this is an example of gross overselous tyranical power hungry people. its not just police officers who abuse this type of power everyday its our own FREE government, this type of action tarnishes all the hard work ive done to be as equal and fair as I can, and to uphold the law in acivil and just manner, if you cant hang with the big dogs officer(FIFE, BARNEY) then stay in the dam house

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Police officers should be the moral paragons of the people. They should be looked up to and admired. They should be public servants in every sense of the word. You should be able to talk to a officer if you need help with anything...its a shame this will forever be a fantasy.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by griffithdiver
I e-mailed the NYPD and also fox news anyone who agrees that this officer is in the right dosent deserve to be called an american!!!!!!!! I am a law enforcement officer and this is an example of gross overselous tyranical power hungry people. its not just police officers who abuse this type of power everyday its our own FREE government, this type of action tarnishes all the hard work ive done to be as equal and fair as I can, and to uphold the law in acivil and just manner, if you cant hang with the big dogs officer(FIFE, BARNEY) then stay in the dam house
At best you are a mall security guard.Keep trying,one day you may become a cop.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I dont understand why its so hard for people to try to be nice. Saying things like this only makes you look little and pety. It will get you no respect.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by brindle

Been in law enforcement for along time, and I always try to do the right thing, wich is not always possible but come on man, a comment over a bike, and you want to defend that scum, speeks volumes about you!!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I dont understand why its so hard for people to try to be nice. Saying things like this only makes you look little and pety. It will get you no respect.

If I dont get respect from all the people here who think it is ok to walk around screaming at people and cops ,refusing to show i.d.,trying to walk away when when cops are questioning you ...I will be devastated.This guy was begging to get locked up.The reason he didnt want to show his i.d. was because he only had a welfare card.He had total disregard for the police.I would bet my last nickel that he has an extensive criminal record.Imagine having masses of ignoramus losers like this walking around.Lets put the shoe on the other foot.If he were on the bike,and somebody yelled something at him,he would have ran over to start a fight.That is the truth.If he doesnt have an extensive criminal record,I admit I am wrong,offer full apology,and retract my statements.This guy will eventually wind up doing a long stretch behind bars.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
And once again you demonstrate that you have 0 knowledge of the law. It doesn't matter if he had a criminal record 1 mile long. That's is 100% irrelevant.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join