It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Big difference between preparing for the end of the world and preparing for a natural disaster. Seems many are saying things like "I'm not preparing because I wouldn't want to survive". But surviving can mean things like:

1) Surviving an Earthquake.
2) Surviving a bad hurricane.
3) Surviving hyperinflation.
4) War/Invasion.

Basically surviving anything that interrupts the supply of food, water and energy that you have at your fingertips. The world isn't going to end but the world is going through some big changes (physically, sconomically, socially) and you could be affected at any time, so why not prepare at least a little? Take the folks in Fukushima and north Japan for example. Some villages and towns were cut off without anything for a week or more, and had shortages for weeks. Something like that you can prepare for to make life a little easier.

I live in Japan too and always have 3 months supply of food and water as well as stores of kerosene (for heating) and gas stoves etc. My wife and in-laws thought I was a little nuts until that mag 9.0 hit, but now they understand. There are some turbulent times coming but it's not the end of the world. But if you don't prepare even a little it might just feel like the end.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It's weird because I feel like something's coming but I haven't prepared and probably won't I feel like everything will happen how its supposed to regardless of preparation. But in some sort of a disaster like that I envision myself laying low while others run around panicking there might not be any sort of order for a while so I can only rely on myself but when it comes to death I'm not worried I think if you are at peace with the possibility your mind will be clear and you would probably end up being less prone to screwing up.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The best preparation you can have is peace of mind ... not to get moved by all the doom and gloom mentality around us ..
If you panick so much .. you're already mentally dead ... and as good as dead ...

Shield yourself mentally with a positive outlook .. and NOTHING will touch you ...

This has nothing to do with religion .. but if it helps you to focus and meditate .. then use it ...

It's all about you as an individual .. whether you are a father .. mother .. brother .. sister ... or child ...etc .. you will see that there is nothing to fear but fear itself ...

Mental stability and state are key to survival .. so many people here have already lost it here with so much fear that the world will end .. they've already resigned themselves to death .. their whole lives just revolve around how much they can stock pile ... not ot mention GUNS .. at a time when you expect the end of the world you think guns will help you ..?? honestly ..?? lolz... you've already lost the will to survive if you need guns ...

I wonder if it has ever occured to these panickers that if such a extinction level event happens ... what makes them think that their weapnry .. or x number of canned beans ... will save them ..??

The best preparation you can give you kids .. your family .. and yourself is spiritual enlightenment .. positivity .. and love not only for each other ...but for all people ..

A positive mindset will always attract positivity .. a negative one will always invite trouble ...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
A lot of people seem to rely on material possessions for their continued existence, but what happens if circumstances separate you from these possessions. I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping some basic tools/weapons but as others have said, it is impossible to prepare for every circumstance that may arise. You need to be flexible and have to be prepared to think on your feet. plans change no matter what you try and do. The most important thing I believe would be practical skills. Skills in wilderness survival, skills with your hands, combat skills (armed and unarmed) problem solving skills and people skills (the ability to negotiate or even manipulate people) People who have the skills that I mentioned, combined with some basic common sense could etch out an existence in most doomsday type scenarios. People existed for eons without modern technology, theres no reason to say that we could not do so now.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I have some of the basics (water, food, etc.) for a week or two because of the hurricane possibilities here in Fla.
Other than that, not so much, but I do have an assortment of helpful items around if needed.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by legalizeit

Ha great minds aye and I'd also like to add that after things calmed down a bit I would probably start to form some sort of community with people that wanted to help each other out there is strength in numbers and if they were smart they'd probably rather join up than try and run up on a group of people. See I'm not really sure how but I still have faith that there are more good people out there than you think they just never get the praise that they deserve.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Unprepared, or should I say "not going out of my way to prepare".

Any "wtshtf" scenarios that really concerns me are things that no amount of preperation can save you from.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

People whom haven't acknowledged the fact that they need to take steps to prepare for as many different outcomes of all those things are in denial and are definitely the same people who are just simply enjoying their quaint little lives and putting the lives of their families in the hands of our ignorant politicians, whom only care about themselves.

Even if people are wrong on this matter...wouldn't you rather be prepared then not be prepared? Thats what they need to be asking themselves!

Good poste...i see alot of people who act like we are crazy to take the measures or steps to help ourselves, when in fact they are the ones that are gonna be left standing there saying..."aaahhh....duh....what just happened?"

PS. Someone said what if it something that it doesn't matter how much you prepare, and we're screwed anyway.

Well....what if it is something you can prepare for?? Thats the whole issue...No one knows...wouldn't you feel more at peace with yourselves just simply knowing that you did everything in your power that you could?
edit on 15-4-2011 by dizzie_lizzie79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Aliens?

Really...

And no.. i won't buy a survival kit. No reason.. i just don't feel like its necessary atm.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie_lizzie79
reply to post by jude11

People whom haven't acknowledged the fact that they need to take steps to prepare for as many different outcomes of all those things are in denial and are definitely the same people who are just simply enjoying their quaint little lives and putting the lives of their families in the hands of our ignorant politicians, whom only care about themselves.

Even if people are wrong on this matter...wouldn't you rather be prepared then not be prepared? Thats what they need to be asking themselves!

Good poste...i see alot of people who act like we are crazy to take the measures or steps to help ourselves, when in fact they are the ones that are gonna be left standing there saying..."aaahhh....duh....what just happened?"

So you think people who don't 'panick' are living 'quaint' lives ..?
What is not so quaint about your life by the way ..? You spend your time panicking about something you have no idea about ... no idea when it may come .. what it may be ... or anything for that matter ..
that makes you INSANE at the least ...! I bet you can't even sleep at night thinking about if you got enough cans or guns ... what does that make your life ...??

Wonder what you'd do when some other bad ass come over and takes your gun away ...
OR all those chest thumpers with their so called 'marine core' skills dancing like they're so hard core .. what happens when you lose a leg or arm ..?? You're going to break down and cry like babies because inside you are hollow ... no spirituality or compassion to help you move on ...
being scared is like being drunk ... your true nature will come out .. that of a scared paranoid lost individual with no way out ...

edit on 15-4-2011 by legalizeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie

i'll probably loot. in times of chaos its better when you have nothing to lose!

Will somebody lock this guy up........guys like him will probably cause chaos after a doomsday like event....

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noobastronomer

Originally posted by RizeorDie

i'll probably loot. in times of chaos its better when you have nothing to lose!

Will somebody lock this guy up........guys like him will probably cause chaos after a doomsday like event....

Looting is better than starving to death. Besides, people can work collectively to loot a wal-mart, grab food and water and make a large camp in which you can offer aid and food to anyone injured physically or emotionally.

Its one thing to loot for yourself but you can loot for others if needed.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have canned food, bottled water, batteries, torches, blankets, medical supplies, face masks and radios in the strongest room in my home, the laundry. Not because of an Alien invasion, NWO, a Charlie Sheen rampage or WW3. Only stored in case of an earthquake or hurricane that cuts supplies, communication or traps myself and my family. Although might be handy for those previously stated reasons aswell

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I started prepping but came to the conclusion that if something were to actually happen, whether it be some great force of nature, or a dollar collapse, or aliens want to probe me; my food, silver, guns and ammo wouldnt do me much good. I have a feeling I will be dealing with more than one person can handle alone, so with that said, Ive chosen to enjoy myself. Take in the beauty this place has to offer. Smile more, be kinder to people. If nothing happens, Im better off spiritually and Im not broke, if something happens, at least I enjoyed myself before it all came crashing down.

I have no reservations about death. Ive been dead twice before and really, third times a charm, right? Even in the violent manner of the first one, there is something very calming and peaceful about it. Almost like right before you feel pain setting in, you have an overwhelming sense of peace and calm. Everything is slow motion and depending on your mental state (I assume) it can actually be a beautiful thing. When my car rolled off the freeway and I was flipping inside of it, right before the last crunch on the roof (I landed upside down) I noticed some California Poppies in full bloom. That moment seemed to last for minutes. It couldnt have been more than a fraction of a second, but things slowed down so much that I recognized my own thoughts, and was immediately sensing everything. Visually, the colors were outstanding. The noise was awful, as was the smell. I felt the vinyl seat rubbing my skin (wearing shorts) and I was tasting the gum I was chewing. Then black. No lights or anything, just heard a "wop wop wop wop wop" and felt a horrible pain. They revived me in the life flight helicopter on the way to the hospital. Thats off topic, but, whatever.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If I can make it through the millennium I can make it through the next "end times" bull shi$!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
'Because I'm a Christian, and I'm going to be saved.'

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

I'm all in with the looting myself!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I do have a bug out bag that'll last me for 3 days, possibly more if I learn how to use the stuff in there. It's more like a box of survival gear that I have just in case I need to leave anywhere suddenly. But I don't take it that seriously since in my situation I have a family of 6 people, including my parents, sister and two brothers. If we had to flee somewhere, we'd have no idea where to go to as well as what to do when we get there. I don't get along that well with them but if I had to run away alone I wouldn't do any better.

Realistically though, we'd stand no chance against a large scale disaster. Either we'd get instantly killed or martial law is declared and then we are stuck in place. Even if we could flee, where would we go? The forest? A mountain? We are just a lower middle class family struggling to pay the bills every month with no extra resources nor the interest in learning how to become self-sufficient. My family doesn't believe in preparation. They just want to live the normal life of working, then coming home, rinse and repeat each year. It's sad, really, but you know how stubborn human beings can be. I've tried convincing them, and all they say is, "don't worry about the state of the world, just focus on your own life first." They think spending time thinking about the grand scheme of things is a waste of time.

Maybe they're right, but I know for a fact that even if I tried to prepare I wouldn't be able to survive. Why would I want to anyway? All my life I've been suffering so why should I fight so hard to stay alive in this cruel world? Just let it happen. I don't even have a car. If I did have one, where would I find the gas supply it continually requires? Or if I arrived at a desolate place in the forest with supplies, could I really battle the elements, hunt/trap game when necessary, avoid getting sick, defend against raiders, and retain my sanity altogether? These things are much harder than we imagine. We are so used to living in the city and having everything provided for us through the monetary system that most of us would end up like the colonists who arrived in Jamestown centuries ago. Once winter hits and times become desperate, the ugly side of human nature is released. Then it all goes down to hell.

I say, why don't we all just let it happen? Throughout the ages, worldwide disasters have appeared time and time again. It is even written down in ancient religious texts concerning the great flood or whatever and Noah's Ark saving the minority. But when they rebuilt society, what happened? THIS current world is what happened. Sure, the survivors may think they're special and destined to rebuild the world, but generations down the line how does it end up again? Your teachings or legacy is forgotten and humanity falls once again (I don't know how many times this has happened in the past, it could be once, it could have been a hundred times). Human nature does not change. We are inherently selfish creatures. History will repeat itself.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

You will see some of your extended families who will be mocking at you for bringing the idea of the end of the world that they do not believe will be coming. You will find yourself spending hours and hours of arguing and trying to show proofs etc etc. You will find some of them accusing you of making them mentally stressed and not being able to sleep etc etc. Eventually, you will find yourself thinkng after all what's the use.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Sforscott

One place to start is to reference other people's survival routines:

Here's one

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join