Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'm not preparing because most of you guys are paranoid whack jobs.

Even the intelligent ones sometimes astound me with their ability to believe in nonsense.

Anyways, at this point, it is reasonable to think the US market and country itself may collapse, but from judging by the history books, there will not be 300 million starving or dead Americans like everyone here seems to perpetuate.

If i lived in the middle of new york , yeah i would have a bail out plan. but i live in the middle of canada and there is so much resources, food, supplies , farmers, all that stuff. I really believe me being a fit 26 year old male would be able to survive. If you are old , feeble, or unable to go anywhere, then maybe i could agree with having 3 months worth of food in stock, or 3 months worth of needed medications. But to plan for an Apocalypse is crazy.
edit on 15-4-2011 by donkeystyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I prefer to rely on instinct.

The things I have been through have given me enough resolve to KNOW that I will survive, no matter what.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Or perhaps they are ready in some sense?

Don't be so quick to dismiss others, especially when they could care less about your.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It depends on the scenario and the season. Last summer a knock on the door and a fireman told me to evacuate NOW because of a gas leak next door. I couldn't start my car or grab anything from it. The worst thing was not being able to find a toilet for a few hours, lol.
The bottled water I kept in my car trunk tasted awful after sitting in the heat for a couple of weeks, so no more food stored in my car. I have a couple of candles and a couple of bics though as well as en emerg blanket.

Back in 98, I survived the ice storm for several days thanks to warm clothing and a fondue pot. My place was frigid. I was able to heat water in it for coffee, then toss in a bouillon cube and drop in a couple of eggs or noodles, and opened the back door for a miute to allow the gas to escape. It was way too dangerous to go outside because of the wires and falling trees, but the worst thing of all was that I found myself going nuts because of the lack of news. So the first thing I bought afterwards was an inexpensive windup radio at my local drug store.

I don't ever plan to live outdoors unless it for a really short period. I'm just not made for that. So if something happens that I choose to leave, I`ll have to pack then and there. I don't feel safer at home, but there's only one main road within several miles, and I just don't trust looter and gunpacking people on the road. I like to read a lot too, and keep some reading material in my car, a first aid kit, some cheap masks, candles and bics. I stocked up on food last year, but as times are tough right now, I have to rely on it.

So when TSHTF wish me luck, just as I wish it for all of you!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I posted this on another thread cos wasn't sure where to put it, made me chuckle at least I would hope its a joke although the actual letting agent is genuine. Pictures on the website too but sorry don't know how to link yet I'm new.
Amazing World War 2 Bunker to rent in Dover Suit Large Family
£700pcm Dover, Kent
SaveGet email alertsShareReport
Reply to this ad or 01304 226666

Date available
01/04
Property Type
House
Number of Bedrooms
It could best be described as compact, but how many other potential homes are impervious to machine gun fire?

The property is certainly not the sort of thing we come across very often. But that's part of its charm and it is surprisingly cosy.

It’s one of the most unusual property lets we at The Accommodation Shop have seen for some time, a World War II plotting room set in a picturesque village on the South East Coast of England. Complete with it’s own series of tunnels, deep shelters and escape hatch!.

With a large open plan living area and further rooms consisting of bathroom, kitchen and air filtration rooms, this property offers great scope for modern day living. With no immediate neighbours and fantastic views across the countryside to the English Channel beyond this is the perfect let for 2011.

Those on Housing Benefit and pets are most welcome!

We don’t expect this property to be on the market for long so call today!

01304 226666

The Accommodation Shop

25 Worthington Street
Dover
Kent
CT17 9AG

Ad reference: 77022866Ad type: AgencyPosted: 24 hours agoViewed 592 timesThis person has been posting since Mar-2011
Reply to this adfacebooktwitterShare with Messenger
Enlarge picture

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
This is a good thread and it reminded me that my wife and oldest son ate all the spam and vienna sausages so I'll have to re-stock. Prices are going up. In the last month or so, the price of the Katadyn pocket water filter has gone up to $320 from $240.

I've known all my life that I was living in a special time in our history so I've been interested in survival skills since I was a child and it's too late in the game to reincarnate now so I'd better learn as much as I can from the situation as it unfolds.

As for friends or relatives thinking I'm weird about making preparations, I can relate. About a year ago I asked my brother to fill up an empty gas tank to have some extra on hand and he thought that was silly. My wife would rather not think about such things and I let her be as it's not in her interest and I'm happy that she's happy so I don't push it. My boys are interested as most are in things like making shelter, camping, fire, etc.

I've done about as much as I care to in terms of gear and food. It can become overwhelming and I probably could have spent money on more entertaining things but when it comes to providing for my family, that comes first. What I feel sad about is if there was a SHTF event, what would become of so many children who's parents can't take care of them.

The most important thing you can invest in is knowledge. Learning these skills will teach you more than just survival skills. Learn how to think and you will carry your best tool with your where ever you go.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Simply because of this well written dose of reality (the "Backpack Survival" paper, by a one Duncan Long).

www.box.net...

Some of you weekend warrior wannabe-survivalist types have really lost your grasp on reality and rational thinking, and instead have this ignorant, deluded, romanticized, idealistic idea of how you will be one of "the few survivors".

Get real.

edit on 15-4-2011 by inivux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I know how to fish, my girlfriend knows how to garden we're both in decent shape. I think if SHTF we could do the old roll of the dice and see where it takes us. I agree with the poster who said most of the people on here are paranoid wack jobs. Take life day by day, why worry about something that may not happen? Sure maybe keep a bug out bag, and an extra couple case of water, but i've read articles about people preparing for 2012.... I just shake my head.

If anything is to happen, the world as we know it won't be the same, but why spend my last few years being worried or paranoid when I can enjoy them with the people I love.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I'm enjoying this thread. It brought up issues I hadn't thought of beforehand. I still want to say I'd roll with the punches.

I stated I wasn't afraid of dying, that doesn't mean I want to.

If something did occur and I survived, as stated, I'd hate to be a burden for those who did prepare. And for that reason alone, I think I should.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by donkeystyle
reply to post by jude11

Even the intelligent ones sometimes astound me with their ability to believe in nonsense.

Anyways, at this point, it is reasonable to think the US market and country itself my collapse, but from judging by the history books, there will not be 300 million starving or dead americans like everyone here seems to perpetuate.

So now it's being a "whack job" to be self sufficient and prepared?

I live in a country which consists of two volcanic islands. We have more than 500 earthquakes a year. Because my house is located on a hilltop, it is exposed to some occasional Antarctic weather. I don't think anything I have planned to be able to survive is "over the top" or that I am a "whack job".

Stuff happens & when you have lived as long as I have you'll realise that if you don't take a few precautions, you're dead.

Too many people are ignoring history and the recent past and their bones are going to make great museum pieces to explain to future generations that we, as a species, can be pretty dumb, expecting to live in a welfare state, with unlimited resources and exponential financial growth that will ensure we live forever in comfortable bliss.

Get real, it can't carry on this way for long.

edit on 15/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Despite my previous comment, I know NZ is probably the first place I would go, if SHTF; so isolated.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by donkeystyle
reply to post by jude11

Anyways, at this point, it is reasonable to think the US market and country itself my collapse, but from judging by the history books, there will not be 300 million starving or dead americans like everyone here seems to perpetuate.

So now it's being a "whack job" to be self sufficient and prepared?

I live in a country which consists of two volcanic islands. We have more than 500 earthquakes a year. Because my house is located on a hilltop, it is exposed to some occasional Antarctic weather. I don't think anything I have planned to be able to survive is "over the top" or that I am a "whack job".

Stuff happens & when you have lived as long as I have you'll realise that if you don't take a few precautions, you're dead.

Too many people are ignoring history and the recent past and their bones are going to make great museum pieces to explain to future generations that we, as a species, can be pretty dumb, expecting to live in a welfare state, with unlimited resources and exponential financial growth that will ensure we live forever in comfortable bliss.

Get real, it can't carry on this way for long.

edit on 15/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

Of course it will not carry on this way for long, society is consuming far more than it is capable of sustaining. That does not mean you need to spend $300,000 USD on a bunker in the one in a million chance there is nuclear war.

I find 99% of the people on here have unrealistic expectations and plans. They think if they pack up a weeks worth of food they are better off than everyone else.

And if you live under a volcano, preparing for a volcano eruption might be prudent. However, it is not prudent to expect that everyone in north america is going to have to fend for themselves like we are back in the stone age. The vibe i get from most people, and "most people" may not be you, is that people are anticipating us living like peasent farmers again as though none of the tools society has made to help us along will be available anymore.

John Malkovich in "red" is what most of you remind me of. But thats what reading a conspiracy forum every day will do to most people.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
And just to summarise, being "reasonably prepared" like having camping gear available, cold weather clothing, a couple days worth of food or water etc... is not even "survival preperations" thats normal life for most of us.

When i hear about survival preperations, and what my comments are based on , is the apparent majority in here who thinks you need 3 moths of food , 6 crops worth of seeds to plant, 6 automatic rifles and a grenade launcher.

And finally, the only thing i will agree with, is that if you wish to hoard a secret stash of food that could last 3 months until society figured out how to work again, i wouldn't argue with that. For my part though, maintaining a $2000 dollar supply of available food is just not worth the maintenance cost. And if SHTF bad enough that there was zero food on the grocery shelves and no farmers were growing anything, i would be grabbing my fishing rod and heading to the backwoods.

Again, if i was in a heavy urban population center with little agriculture, such as new york or california, then yeah, i might be worried i guess. But that is not my reality, i live in the middle of canada. Y'know?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I'm not doing anything to protect myself because I CAN'T AFFORD IT! I'm an above-minimum wage American, but the hours I get gives me the weekly paycheck of a part-time minimum wage. I spend all my money on rent & necessities. I cannot afford to stock pile food or buy a filtration system or radiation pills. If I die, then so be it. If I don't, I am prepared to live off the land. I was raised to play outdoors, the forest was the best to me, & from that childhood experience & from camping, I know how to care for myself or my loved ones, even if I have to carve a spear out of a tree branch or build a house out of mud & leaves, I am not afraid.

& if I die? Well, good riddance. That's been my motto since I was a goth teenager. Death would be better than the crap we are forced to endure on this twisted elitist planet.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
*removed content*
edit on 15-4-2011 by AnitaCigarette because: *double post*

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
im prepared.. prepared to steal anything i need to survive from the dead around me who have been stockpiling for all these years.. well thats if i myself survive..!!

i mean if i was to stock pile.. who's to say im going to be anywhere near my stash or have a way to get to it when the s#!t hits the fan anyway..??

+ i mean i could survive only to find everything i had been stockpiling hadnt survived... now wouldnt that just suck..!!

+ im a chick... everything i need + the kitchen sink is in my handbag

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
you girls can come stay with me when SHTF ^^

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballsdeep

Originally posted by Char-Lee
My in-laws are not doing anything as they think the whole business is a crock of bull.
My sister in Ak is not because her kids and in-laws are not so if she does and it comes down, she will not have enough to care for everyone so why bother to do anything.

most people we know are going all out storing food and water and even getting places ready in the mountains...we can't afford too.

Where are you from? I'm in Aus and I don't know a single person who's anywhere near that prepared; most people here would laugh in your face if you told them you were doing that...

I live in scotland its the same here if i said are you prepared for the end of the world id be commited and laughed at

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Prepared to a point, have my bag, learning whats edible, healing herbs etc. (everyone should have a copy of John 'lofty' Wiseman's book) I can fish, wouldn't bother with fly-fishing in a survival situation though, the calories ye burn it's not worth it. I take extra stuff in my fishing pack, gets me familiar with whats where, using it, setting camp etc. I've learnt that survival knowledge is priceless, even learning stuff ive had no actual experience of, it still adds to an edge. And crucially weigh's nothing.
I recommend giving this 3 part series a watch, it really brings home how one well-equipped man in the wilderness can be reduced to tears as he watches himself get thinner and weaker.

Alone in the Wild

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Not preparing because I'm not paranoid. You doomsday folks are wasting your lives and money! Meanwhile I'll use my money to have afew beers (and laugh), buy some DVD's, go on holiday etc etc I'll enjoy life. We only have one so make the most of it. I'll be here 10 years from now writing exactly the same stuff whilst the site is full of fear of the next incoming comet, third world problem, earthquake, volcano etc etc etc And not forgetting "disclosure is coming" (well it has for the last 6 years so I have no reason to believe it wont be "coming" in the next 10)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join