It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Should Polygamy be legal?

page: 3
9
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dementronoid

Originally posted by loves a conspiricyMarriage is a religious thing....most people dont even believe in marriage anymore, they have to do it to become a legal couple.
Firstly, it's not just a religious thing anymore. It's also tradition. Secondly, CHECK YOUR FACTS!!! most people ARE religious!!! And some people support marriage even thought they aren't religious.


It doesnt change the fact that 4.7 BILLION people dont believe in YOUR sky fairy...they each have their own
Most people would not be religious given THE CHOICE....instead of being indoctrinated from birth.

Tradition.....everyone i know who is married has only done it because they want to live as equals within a relationship....they dont believe in god or any of the gods....it just makes life easier when getting a mortgage or a car on finance. Marriage is just a bit of paper that is required for certain things




posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
In a free and open society polygamy should be legal. Hopefully one day it is legalized and the gov gets out of marriage, and then I will marry 14 women and have 42 children. Then I would declare myself the emperor of America and wage war against Russia.



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint
 


beat me too it!




posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
In a free and open society polygamy should be legal. Hopefully one day it is legalized and the gov gets out of marriage, and then I will marry 14 women and have 42 children. Then I would declare myself the emperor of America and wage war against Russia.


lol you know, perhaps that's why it's illegal .. they fear something like that =) ... an empire forming that isn't their own



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
reply to post by lastrebel
 


From your OP it appears that you are a polygamist? If so, are you a FLDS polygamist living in the southwest?
Just curious.

To answer your question, NO, NO, NO, polygamy should NOT be legalized. It appears that most people on this thread don't realize the culture in which these polygamists are raised. The women have no rights. They are given away like trophies to older men who have clout within the community. Some of these girls are as young as 13.
The amount of oppression on the women and children is disgusting. These people live in a cult society answering to only the "Prophet."

A recent movie that might be shed a little light on this is called "The 19th Wife." It is also a book written by Brigham Young's 19th wife. Give it a read through and see if you still want polygamy legalized.


Again...... it appears no one in this thread really knows the culture of 99% of polygamists in america.



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
reply to post by lastrebel
 


From your OP it appears that you are a polygamist? If so, are you a FLDS polygamist living in the southwest?
Just curious.

To answer your question, NO, NO, NO, polygamy should NOT be legalized. It appears that most people on this thread don't realize the culture in which these polygamists are raised. The women have no rights. They are given away like trophies to older men who have clout within the community. Some of these girls are as young as 13.
The amount of oppression on the women and children is disgusting. These people live in a cult society answering to only the "Prophet."

A recent movie that might be shed a little light on this is called "The 19th Wife." It is also a book written by Brigham Young's 19th wife. Give it a read through and see if you still want polygamy legalized.



No I am not FLDS.....I am Christian but yes I live in the southwest among a lot of them and Yes I have 2 wives getting ready to add a third.they range from 22 to 55 and I am 61.

I think that being legal would slove most of the issues you speak of.....the lack of rights....underage marrige, etc



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by rumor21
i think i speak for most women.


No, you don't. You speak for yourself. Leave me out of it. I speak for myself.


People! If you don't like polygamy, then don't participate! But stop trying to control everyone else and make them behave they way you think they should.



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
reply to post by lastrebel
 


From your OP it appears that you are a polygamist? If so, are you a FLDS polygamist living in the southwest?
Just curious.

To answer your question, NO, NO, NO, polygamy should NOT be legalized. It appears that most people on this thread don't realize the culture in which these polygamists are raised. The women have no rights. They are given away like trophies to older men who have clout within the community. Some of these girls are as young as 13.
The amount of oppression on the women and children is disgusting. These people live in a cult society answering to only the "Prophet."

A recent movie that might be shed a little light on this is called "The 19th Wife." It is also a book written by Brigham Young's 19th wife. Give it a read through and see if you still want polygamy legalized.


In my country just about the only people pushing for polygami belongs to this spesific culture.
Many of them already have several vifes, and now they want it legalized, because many of them are waiting for family reunion, and many of them are on social welfare.

In both cases they can only include one wife.

Most people that doesn't belong to this culture care less about marriage.



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic
 


That's the problem. Unless the women leave their families and lives then they are forced into it. There is no option. You will marry the 61 year old even though you are 22. End of story.



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
That's the problem. Unless the women leave their families and lives then they are forced into it. There is no option. You will marry the 61 year old even though you are 22. End of story.


What are you talking about? We're talking about polygamy. The act of marrying more than one person. Not FORCING anyone to marry anyone. And NOT religion.
edit on 4/14/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Polygamy is pretty much allowed in Abrahamic faiths, but there are conditions and things to keep in mind. For example: the man has to treat all his wives completely equally, in all aspects. It can also cause problems because some wives might feel jealous towards others, in which case you're safer just having one wife. Just a couple examples but there are more rules/guidelines/things to consider so go ahead and look that up if you're curious.

So it shouldn't be illegal, but in today's world where it's easy to go astray, it would most often cause a lot problems. For instance, you shouldn't do it because you want to legally bang several women and not feel guilty about it.

edit on 14/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic
 


That's the problem. Unless the women leave their families and lives then they are forced into it. There is no option. You will marry the 61 year old even though you are 22. End of story.


None of my wives come from the FLDS community...........all come from the "normal" community. None were forced.....the newest is traveling almost 2000 miles to join us after spending a couple weeks here. My other wives voted to let her in and we are all happy....none are on welfare, etc.........so what is the problem?



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic
 



Sorry, I guess not everyone is familiar with Americas version of polygamy. I am sure there are a few polygamists who do it willingly and have a loving relationship. But those few are outnumbered by the 99% of polygamists that live in the SW united states and promote there culture. Most are FLDS (Mormons) who answer to their Prophet. This is not a small amount of people. There are alot of them and they keep to themselves, distance themselves from society yet will take every welfare check they can get.



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This is a question to the original poster. How did you get introduce to the polygamy life style? Is it like how people see on television? Like the show Sister Wives? How is the environment of the home and family? What are the pros and cons?



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
reply to post by lastrebel
 


From your OP it appears that you are a polygamist? If so, are you a FLDS polygamist living in the southwest?
Just curious.

To answer your question, NO, NO, NO, polygamy should NOT be legalized. It appears that most people on this thread don't realize the culture in which these polygamists are raised. The women have no rights. They are given away like trophies to older men who have clout within the community. Some of these girls are as young as 13.
The amount of oppression on the women and children is disgusting. These people live in a cult society answering to only the "Prophet."

A recent movie that might be shed a little light on this is called "The 19th Wife." It is also a book written by Brigham Young's 19th wife. Give it a read through and see if you still want polygamy legalized.


I believe Christianity should be illegal. How many wars have been waged because of Christianity? What about people who had christian beliefs? What about all the killing of heretics throughout the dark ages? The few common day Pedo Priests?

Obviously, no matter how non-violent you are, no matter how lawful and moral, christianity is bad. I can name bad examples of people who practices Christianity, therefore any practicer is bad.

Satire aside, please explain to me how bad cultures, and people who oppressed women, makes lets say a "three women couple", so immoral and degrading?



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I have had a few questions sent to me about how this works.

I will NOT get into the sexual part of it because its no ones business just as I wouldnt ask you about your sex life.

so here we go.........

A couple years ago I got togather with my first wife. about 7-8 months later a friend of hers moved in......believe it or not they discussed it before bringing it up to me. about 5 months ago a woman we had been emailing wanted to come out to visit and now she wants to move in too.

sooooooooo

We all sit down at the table to decide everything, each gets a vote majority wins.....EXCEPT on the issue of another wife....then ALL must agree. I am retired but the women work and I have an internet business. We are opening a store soon and we will all work it.



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeraVerto
This is a question to the original poster. How did you get introduce to the polygamy life style? Is it like how people see on television? Like the show Sister Wives? How is the environment of the home and family? What are the pros and cons?



Our life is saimular to some of it and different than some of it......is marrige like holywood wives?

It is not for everone and NO ONE should be preasured into it.

As for TV.....Big Love on HBO gives a good picture of the good and the bad



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Well, if anything could kick-start a total restructure of the US tax system, making Polygamy legal would do that.

Can you imagine the married filed jointly tax penalty, otherwise?




posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
Sorry, I guess not everyone is familiar with Americas version of polygamy. I am sure there are a few polygamists who do it willingly and have a loving relationship. But those few are outnumbered by the 99% of polygamists that live in the SW united states and promote there culture.


99%, huh? Do you have a source for that figure? Is that intended to be a factual statement or have you been taking lessons from Jon Kyl? In fact, do you have anything that backs up your statements?

We're not talking here about FORCING anyone to marry. That's your own stuff.



posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rumor21
 


I don't think I would want it either. But to each their own......lots of women have no problem with it. If they want to do it let them.



new topics

top topics



 
9
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join