It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Polygamy be legal?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by lastrebel

Don't see what any government's got to do with it one way or the other.

Let people do what they want as long as they don't screw it up for anyone else.

THIS.

It is no business of government and society will judge itself in moral matters. Laws are antique and shouldn't exist any more. They honestly don't mean anything in reality, we just have faith in them like we do our paper money. It is self evident that murder, rape and thievery is wrong, but that is as far as the fist of government needs to extend to maintain order...any more is tyranny.
edit on 15-4-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It is a great pity that some people cannot behave civilly to others.

No surprises there.

But usually polygamy works against women.

And if it was adopted by everyone - disaster.

I have an idea - women can have multiple partners and men can't!

Just think how well that would work.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
[color=deepskyblue]Is the man financially able to care for his 5 wives and 15 children?

Are these women really okay with these arrangements??

I know I wouldn't be. If my husband came home tomorrow and said he was thinking about going on out to get another wifey I would flip. It would be divorce time, not 'sister' wife time.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

edit on 15-4-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm not pointing fingers at anybody in particular.

It's just that the ''government should stay out of marriage'' argument is quite a common point on topics such as these ( and it's an argument that I personally agree with ), yet, I wonder how many of those people who say this are exploiting the system by willingly letting the government get involved involved in their marriage, so as they can receive the benefits from this arrangement ?

Hypocrisy is one of my pet peeves, and utilising a government sanctioned marriage while, at the same time, railing against the idea of the government being involved in the process is a glaring example of hypocrisy.

edit on 15-4-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It is not the role of the government to regulate personal relationships. The institute of legal marriage needs to be abolished. That would solve all these non-issues, including gay marriage, sibling marriage or polygamy, and who knows what else.

Any benefits that are currently tied to marriage can be just as well tied to parenthood. There is little need to have any benefits for childless couples anyway, is there?
edit on 15/4/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I think it should definitely be legal. It would help with raising kids, with more incomes to support them and having more people to keep an eye on them. If Dad gets hurt and can't work, there's still the income from other dads/moms to keep things flowing. One mom getting pregnant has other moms to help with the other kids. As long as all members cared for each other, it would be a stable environment for kids, and there's always be someone for the kids to talk with if they needed it.

Multiple partners (of both sexes) would have a same-sex person in the relationship to talk with. We all know that men and women don't often see everthing eye to eye, and it would be a good thing for a woman to have another woman to discuss things with, same for men. There are plenty of good reasons to have multiple partners in a marriage if people could get past the jealousy aspect, and those who can't get past it can have a monogamous relationship, no worries.

I also think term limits should be legal, where you could get married for a year, or 5, or 18, or how ever long you wanted. If the time limit expired, but the people still wanted to be married, they could re-up for a new contract. Term marriage would put a huge dent in the divorce rate, as people wouldn't feel "trapped" for life when there was a distinct end on the horizon. People could get married long enough to raise the kids and then go their separate ways, if desired.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Evidently people are having their cake and eating it too.

Just because some don't like it, or can't understand how the people involved could be happy doesn't mean they should forbid others from doing so.

The government no absolutely no power whatsoever to dictate who, or how many people consenting adults may marry.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject x

I also think term limits should be legal, where you could get married for a year, or 5, or 18, or how ever long you wanted. If the time limit expired, but the people still wanted to be married, they could re-up for a new contract. Term marriage would put a huge dent in the divorce rate, as people wouldn't feel "trapped" for life when there was a distinct end on the horizon. People could get married long enough to raise the kids and then go their separate ways, if desired.

Awesome idea.

That would also put a huge dent in the number of men who get raped by the family court system as well. It's a win win for everyone.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Seriously, you got a star for that?

I guess women arent allowed to work, right? In your example the one guy can't stay at home with the 15 kids while the 5 wives bring in five incomes? Oh, he's a polygamist so that must mean he's going to be molesting these kids, right?

Are they really okay with it? If not why did they get involved? Cant they just leave? There are victims trapped in abusive relationships and marriages all over the world that arent polygamist. But because the guy has 5 wives he's automatically beating everybody, molesting the kids, and holding the wives there against their will.

Because that's how it works, right?

You see Steve hit Judy and suddenly everybody named Steve is a lunatic.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

I think it would be win/win, also. Obviously, there would be people who still want the whole "til death do us part" commitment, but for the rest of the folks it would work well.

One issue with multiple marriage would be property. If the family bought property, a house or whatever, it would have to be determined whether the property was personal, or owned by "the family". Rights to family owned property would have to be controlled by the family collective, and if someone opted out of the marriage (end of contract or whatever) they would also be opting out of their rights to said property. No-one could leave and take a quarter (or whatever percentage) of the value with them. Sounds like more stability for the kids to me, without having to uproot them because one partner got the house in the divorce and another got the kids.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by ViperChili

I will answer again, using courtesy which you do not use.

If men and women had multiple partners it would lead to jealousy, inbreeding, murder and mayhem.

And I am using intelligence, maybe you are not.

The people who want polygamy are certain men.

If women wanted it, it would all turn to mayhem.

And if it was made legal worldwide, it would be legal for everyone. And it would lead to what I said earlier.

Do you have any viable sources that would suggest that mass murder and mayhem, would actually begin. Your " assuming " that there would be jealousy and rage, not based off of fact, but off of opinion. Further, if you knew anything about the topic you wish to decry, You would also know that females within a polygamist community, all dress the same way, act the same, and do not par take in anything that would permit jealousy. Therefore your murder and mayhem would not exist.

Are you suggesting that the women within the colony have the ability to " compete " with each other about who wears the tighter sexier pants, or low crop, revealing tops? Or who gets the attention from their lover? To my understanding its all equal. ( as equal as it can get, considering the women have no " voice " per say )

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

I think it would be win/win, also.

The is by far the best idea I've heard in a long time! Maybe you should run for office! you got my vote!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
MOST, not all, but MOST women in the polygamist lifestyle are either brought up in it or around it and make a conscious choice to participate in it. I don't think the government has any business getting involved in this, any more than they should with gay marriage. If it is consenting adults, they aren't harming others, the adults and children involved are happy and healthy, that is a lot more stable than many other marriages.

I love the show Sister Wives. It really changed my personal opinion about this practice, and while I don't think I could ever be a part of it, I completely understand the reason those women do it. As for women with multiple husbands, I think it should be allowed, but since this is a religious practice and as far as I know there aren't any modern religions that accept this idea, I think we will never see it.

I know that there are cults out there that practice this, and that those children and some of those wives are unhappy, but that is no different than any other bad relationship out there and we don't get involved in those unless abuse is noted.

So, to sum up, I am all for it as long as everyone is consenting and healthy.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

I don't think the government has any business getting involved in this,

They don't, no where in the Constitution, more specifically, Article 1 section 8, does not grant powers to Congress to dictate marriage, or Education for that matter.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This is just another issue that the government has no business being in .

They control every part of your life . From your sexuality threw life to where and how you die to where you are buried .

FDA drugs beneficial or recreational
USDA food
Education
Local building Codes where and what type of home what plants you can plant or if you can even have a home garden or the types of pets you can have.

This is a personal issue between consenting adults . And should not need governmental approval !

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Just because some don't like it, or can't understand how the people involved could be happy doesn't mean they should forbid others from doing so.

[color=dodgerblue]I don't recall forbidding anyone of anything?

I was expressing my personal feelings towards the practice and how I would feel if my husband tried to collect wives.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Seriously, you got a star for that?

I guess women arent allowed to work, right? In your example the one guy can't stay at home with the 15 kids while the 5 wives bring in five incomes? Oh, he's a polygamist so that must mean he's going to be molesting these kids, right?

Are they really okay with it? If not why did they get involved? Cant they just leave? There are victims trapped in abusive relationships and marriages all over the world that arent polygamist. But because the guy has 5 wives he's automatically beating everybody, molesting the kids, and holding the wives there against their will.

Because that's how it works, right?

You see Steve hit Judy and suddenly everybody named Steve is a lunatic.

[color=deepskyblue]
Uhhhh... defensive much?

I don't share any of the ideals that you posted in reply to my original post.

I was asking if they are really okay with it and expressing my feelings of not being okay with it, as in if it were me personally.

I didn't make that post in an attempt to start an argument or have someone start putting words in my mouth.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kove400
reply to post by lastrebel

Also, woman can only be pregnant with one child, except when twins and such,

and such???

Hey Kove, just wanted to let you know that every word of your religously poisoned offering was insane.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebel

Originally posted by Night Star
It degrades woman. If a man can't be satisfied with one woman to treasure and treat with respect, he shouldn't be married.

How does it degrade women?

Would having more than one husband degrade men? If everyone is happy what difference does it make

Just how special is a relationship if you have to keep seeking out others to make you happy? For a woman to accept such an arrangement doesn't say much for her self esteem. I can't imagine saying to my husband "oh honey, I'm going to going to marry 4 other men besides you." Doesn't say much for him now does it? To me a relationship between two people is sacred.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Originally posted by lastrebel

With all the interest in Gay rights there is another segment of society that is quitely growing and starting to want their rights too.....polygimists.

If 5 men in a hundred have 3 wives, and 5 other men in a hundred have 2 wives,
that will leave 15 men in a hundred without any wives. They have very little motivation
to work hard or not get in trouble.

Of course if they are Muslim they can kill infidels and if they die they will get
72 virgins in heaven.

That is why Islam is popular with the elite(my theory) and why the church instituted monogamy to prevent the
chaos of a large population of single men.

You have to be married to work hard and avoid "trouble"? What are you talking about?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join