It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Polygamy be legal?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rumor21
reply to post by lastrebel

I wouldn't want a man who wanted more than one women i would be jealous, i think i speak for most women.

Then I have bad news for you. Every Man wants more than one woman. Every single man. He can say whatever he wants. It's a lie. He can lie all he wants.

Biology can be over ruled by will power. That doesn't mean the biology isn't happening.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
I dont understand why any sane man would want more than one ball and chain....i mean wife???

I totally agree!

Except in reverse. Why should we get stuck with one man. Why can't we have one cuddler, one talker, one protector, and one more just for fun? It would be less pressure for you guys to be everything wrapped into one bundle, and it would most DEFINITELY be a helluva lot more fun for us.

But in regards to the OP. I would have to answer, truthfully, no. I don't think Polygamy should be legalized. But only because, to this date, it has been one sided whith the man getting to have all the fun. And I think it would remain that way.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Not only should it be legal, but if will become accepted in the new economy for the reasons cited here: www.youtube.com...

This recession has destroyed male oriented jobs and those jobs are not coming back. So many women will be faced with low-income dead beats or wealthier or higher status players who are unwilling to commit. That means there will be males who think outside the box who could take advantage of this new trend and take several wives. As long as the men are healthy and intelligent, and want families with all the wives, then by all means.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think polygamy is weird, there I said it. I'm not religious but really if you want a relationship with many people then remain single, but if you want to feel how special it can be to share your
Life with you other half and get to know each other in such a way you become the same person then go for that. But polygamy if made legal would be exploited in some way not to mention it's unnecessary what is marriage but a piece of paper. Live with as many blokes or women as you want why marriage?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Polygamy isn't illegal. Polygamist marriage is.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Well, after reading all the posts, I'm left with one thought. If polygamist marriage is allowed, along with same-sex and hetero marriage, then how would you define marriage? What would it be? An agreement between 2or more parties, to ... what, exactly?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jebbaroo

Well, after reading all the posts, I'm left with one thought. If polygamist marriage is allowed, along with same-sex and hetero marriage, then how would you define marriage? What would it be? An agreement between 2or more parties, to ... what, exactly?

I'd personally say, let the parties involved define marriage. Simple as that.

Legally, I always say this, the law should be blind to marriage. It shouldn't regulate something that's only significance is of personal to the people involved.

Can come up with a union system that works for taxation and benefits, that doesn't fall apart with groupings of more than two. Easy. But keep that separate from actually "Defining Marriage".

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jebbaroo

a clan?

if they made it legal for a man to have more than one wife, well eventually, they'd have to go alone with one women having more than one husband, and well, that man could have more than one wife, and on...and on....
a clan, where everyone is related to everyone else, and no one is really that certain as to whom the father of any one child is.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Originally posted by Night Star
It degrades woman. If a man can't be satisfied with one woman to treasure and treat with respect, he shouldn't be married.

If women are ok with it, who are you, or anyone else for that matter to tell them they can't?

Government has no power to dictate who, or how many people consenting adults choose to marry.

What woman do you know is for it? Those battered Mormon women in Utah who wear old fashioned clothes and wear their hair in a Gibson because everyone in their little commune does and they offer up little girls to creepy old guys? Is that your model? Or is this the King and I complex of bees going from flower to flower?
Romantic love has thoroughly been destroyed by the 60's flower children sex cults, and today's Hollywood cult of sex and success.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by Ceriddwen

I don't think the government has any business getting involved in this,

They don't, no where in the Constitution, more specifically, Article 1 section 8, does not grant powers to Congress to dictate marriage, or Education for that matter.

So I'm hoping the Supreme Court declares that for Obamacare as well. But meantime, I think polygamy is not practical. What man really wants that much responsibility in today's economy? Of course if they all have jobs they can all have their own health isnurance but what if they all have kids? That would be an insane situation. Would one end up taking care of all the kids while all the others work to feed all those mouths?
Really this is just an excuse for men who have no self-control and no real sense of loving one person(other than themself). If a man is too commitmentphobic to stick with one woman, he ought not to be married in the first place.
And besides, if he gets bored with one, he will get bored with them all and in the case of Utah maybe even go for the kids. It's a disgusting practice.
For the record, the Quran apparently allows multiple wives, but only as long as the man can handle that many women.

Anyway, without romantic love between one man and one woman we would not have Tristan and Isolde

Or La Boheme

edit on 2-1-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Polygamy is legal, in missouri the first legal wife allows her husband to bring into their relationship as many mistresses as she is comfortable with, and the Law has no foot in it due to the fact that there is no law against sex and children outside of wedlock.

most of these plurals have separate households withing walking distance from each other and most are in plural neighborhoods due to the fact they all have the same things in common, sort of like the Amish with better sleeping arrangements

edit on 2-1-2012 by sweetnlow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebel
reply to post by troubleshooter

Exactly......but now it is based on lies and hiding.....why not just be honest about it.

Even if it's legal what makes you think a man or a women won't lie? What if they have a whole family in another State and fly around between them and still don't tell? Making it legal would just mean that they won't get in trouble if they are found out. What if you are married and you say, "hey hon I think I want a second wife" and she says no way jose so you think ok I will just get married and hide it cause wifey number one doesn't like it. Of course a man has to be quite wealthy for that.
I see it as more of a breakdown of society and family but that's me.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Even if it's legal what makes you think a man or a women won't lie? What if they have a whole family in another State and fly around between them and still don't tell? Making it legal would just mean that they won't get in trouble if they are found out. What if you are married and you say, "hey hon I think I want a second wife" and she says no way jose so you think ok I will just get married and hide it cause wifey number one doesn't like it. Of course a man has to be quite wealthy for that.
I see it as more of a breakdown of society and family but that's me.

I really don't see why legal trouble should come from any relationship issues.

It's not "Won't get into any trouble if they are found out", it's saying that the trouble will be personal and worked out be the couple involved. Not a broad arm of the law deciding how to handle a personal case.

On top of that, I don't see why consensual polygamy would have to be made illegal, to prevent a non-consensual issue. That's like making all forms of Sex, consensual, safe, sane, illegal just to combat rape.

And, the way it'd work, would most likely be that all members of a union have to consent for another member to be added. In other words, a person couldn't be legally added to a union if it wasn't consensual in the first place.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

What man really wants that much responsibility in today's economy? Of course if they all have jobs they can all have their own health isnurance but what if they all have kids? That would be an insane situation. Would one end up taking care of all the kids while all the others work to feed all those mouths?

Make it illegal because the average person wouldn't want to do it personally themselves?

Average person, from how people sound, hates Justin Bieber. I would never advocate making his music illegal to possess. You don't just force your preferences on everyone else. If having their own doesn't do any harm, then let them have it.

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus?
Really this is just an excuse for men who have no self-control and no real sense of loving one person(other than themself). If a man is too commitmentphobic to stick with one woman, he ought not to be married in the first place.
And besides, if he gets bored with one, he will get bored with them all and in the case of Utah maybe even go for the kids. It's a disgusting practice.

Very vast generalizations here, aren't these? Most cases of polygamy, are just people who don't feel their love is something exclusive to just 2 people. And there are no rules to how love should be, so I don't see why you can say that feeling is wrong.

There are far more 2-pair relationships where the man or woman aren't the best people, selfish, unloving, whatever. No one goes about assuming all 2-pair relationships are bad because of that.

For the record, the Quran apparently allows multiple wives, but only as long as the man can handle that many women.

Anyway, without romantic love between one man and one woman we would not have Tristan and Isolde

As does the Bible and Torah. However, that was at a time where women were nothing more than property, and even the God's described in the book thought so. Modern proponents of of polygamy, don't mean to bring that back. They mean for it to be as much of a choice and control of the women involved as the men. Not at all oppression of women.

Anyways, no one wants to "Do away" with "romantic love between one man and one woman". They just want those feeling differently to be able to act on their own feelings of love without having to conform to the social norm. Similar to how people who support gay rights aren't trying to take away "straight rights", just equal rights for everyone regardless of how they love.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

Well, since it's already illegal mostly I am not saying to make it illegal. The OP thinks it should be made legal. We had laws on the books when a normal family was the norm in society. Thanks to communist influence we have radicals desperately trying to change that to break down society. That is a fact my friend.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

Well, since it's already illegal mostly I am not saying to make it illegal. The OP thinks it should be made legal. We had laws on the books when a normal family was the norm in society. Thanks to communist influence we have radicals desperately trying to change that to break down society. That is a fact my friend.

Hilarious.

Instead of wild assertions about Communists and Radicals trying to break down society by promoting equal rights, you could be far more convinving if you give valid reasons why it should remain illegal. No over generalizations, no wild accusations. Just what is it about people loving multiple people that's so wrong the government needs to go out of the way to criminalize it?

I don't know why I'm even leaving that open question. That comment alone indicates to me you won't have any satisfactory answer. Easy picking. Then again, no one has providing one that's made sense to me.

You're still welcome to try though.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The op has asked a question about polygamy, and it is a valid question.

This topic, polygamy, has been discussed before, back in the 1800’s at the time that the country was expanding and ultimately taken up by the courts, and determined that it was not protected under the constitution of the United States of America. That much is fact, and has been used in the different states, when crafting laws that would stand up to judicial review.

To that end, such has been deemed illegal and against the law. Most current polygamist would like to see the laws changed to accommodate their beliefs and lifestyle. While there is usually one marriage, where the woman has the husbands name, and the others live either in the same house or in close houses, they live a very quiet life, not seeking to draw attention to themselves. However, in the current history, there has been a few people that have given the entire issue, a bad name, where it shows one man and more than 5 or 6 wives and very large families, the extra wives drawing on the social help services to make ends meet.

Before this subject can be broached as to the legality of it being accepted in the US, there would need to be a review of the laws, not only at the state level, but also at the federal level, that are either amended or removed. Combine that with the different faiths that support this, and it starts to get sticky. Many questions would be asked, such as what should be an allowable limit on the number of spouses that a man can have? And what about women, would they be allowed to have more than one husband? How would it impact the different faiths and communities in the area, would it be something that is welcomed or used as an excuse to discriminate if not separate from the greater community. How would it impact on the children and other aspects of society? These are a few of the questions that would come up, and there would be more.

While we may say, it would not affect me, while in the short term it is true, however, in the long run, as with any social changes, it always impacts the who of society, from a historical perspective.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Combine that with the different faiths that support this, and it starts to get sticky. Many questions would be asked, such as what should be an allowable limit on the number of spouses that a man can have?
I don't think there should be a legal restriction, but the religious restriction in Islam is 4 wives max (I think) and other religions may have other restrictions.

Yes of course multiple husbands should be allowed as well as multiple wives, let's not be sexist.

Don't like Polygamy? Don't get involved with it.

The marriage penalty in the US tax code is a problem no matter what type of marriage is involved, straight, gay, polygamous or otherwise. We shouldn't be penalizing people for getting married, but that's what we do. Let's eliminate the marriage penalty for all, then the tax implications of different types of marriages will be zero, which is as it should be.

I read an Islamic message board where a woman posted that she really wasn't jealous that her husband took a second wife, she was perfectly OK with that. She was upset because he paid a higher dowry to the second wife's family, than to the first wife's family. The husband is probably going to hear about that for the rest of his life! :LOL:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I absolutely think polygamy should be legal. The government shouldn't be allowed to tell consenting adults who they can and cannot marry! If three, four or five people decide they want to live together and start a family or whatever, it should be none of the government's business!

Get the government OUT of marriage and OUT of people's bedrooms and private lives!

I was going to post something almost EXACTLY what BH has posted, but decided its easier to quote haha!

I AGREE 100%..........and think Gay Marraige should also be allowed. Its NOT the gubmints place to decide WHO we love or want to spend our lives with...........I believe in EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL!!! as long as the people involved are legal ADULTS I think they should be able to do as they please!!!

edit on 2-1-2012 by theRiverGoddess because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join