It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Polygamy be legal?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I don't see any problem with people entering into a polygamous relationship if they feel that it is healthy for them. These relationships don't pose any visible harm to anyone involved or to society as a whole, so I say go for it if it's your thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeraVerto
reply to post by kove400

I'm Jewish so I would answer your question. There are other figures in the bible who have multiple wives and they did have some difficulty. Others didn't.

That has nothing to do with being Jewish. Like YOU guys would or only had problems with a wife?

Wow.. I could do a 1000 Henny Youngman jokes about wives... Everyone but the owners here are younger then me...so you don't even know who he was/is.. And HE was Jewish..

I kinda want to go reverse role... I'LL be a husband in a harem.. Never had a real girlie fight with doodes I was married to. Could be funny. BACK OFF ... was a joke,.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
If polygamy is legal, it is legal for both men and women.

Which would lead to inbreeding, disease, and yet more murders and yet more wars.

So my answer is that polygamy is not only immoral, it leads to the death of mankind.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
If polygamy is legal, it is legal for both men and women.

Which would lead to inbreeding, disease, and yet more murders and yet more wars.

So my answer is that polygamy is not only immoral, it leads to the death of mankind.

Huh?

Want to try answering again? This time use some intelligence.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Which idiot would want more than one wife

Seriously, one was bad enough. Any idiot that wants more than one wife or husband deserves all the pain that it brings.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lastrebel

Until any evidence of abuse of either child or wife.. ect.. I would say the government has no place in it..

But it's been seen in cult like communes that revolve around polygamy can draw in young girls and they can be maried off..

However two (or more in this case) consenting adults marrying that are able to provide for any offspring they have adequately is of no concern to me..

And I don't believe it it's right for the government to restrict polygamy.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

I will answer again, using courtesy which you do not use.

If men and women had multiple partners it would lead to jealousy, inbreeding, murder and mayhem.

And I am using intelligence, maybe you are not.

The people who want polygamy are certain men.

If women wanted it, it would all turn to mayhem.

And if it was made legal worldwide, it would be legal for everyone. And it would lead to what I said earlier.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
If gay marriage is legalized, then polygamy should be legalized, too.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

With all due respect:

Are you from another planet? Your posts in this thread simply do not make any sense whatsoever. A guy having 3, 4, or 7 wives is not going to lead to mayhem, and you certainly have no proof to substantiate your contention.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
The only sticking point for me would be something like insurance benefits. I could care less if someone has more than one wife but I would say only the first wife should be able to be covered under a work funded insurance plan.

but that wouldn't promote equality amoung the wives, now would it???
it would be better if well......the just started seeing men and women equal in the workforce, if you want insurance, or whatever, you go to work yourself and earn it....
oh, and maybe we shouldn't be talking polygamy here but rather, multiple spouses, since america is the land of freedom and equality, and most certainly if you allow men to have more than one wife, in time, some of the women will want more than one husband, and well, chances are they would get that right, in the name of equality.....
so, how would all you men feel about sharing your wife with another, and when she gets knocked up, well, the child, by law, is considered to have five fathers, five fathers eligible for child support if the family falls apart???

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dementronoid

I am all for it, BUT only if the gays can do it too!

2nd

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
If men and women had multiple partners it would lead to jealousy, inbreeding, murder and mayhem.
If women wanted it, it would all turn to mayhem.
And if it was made legal worldwide, it would be legal for everyone. And it would lead to what I said earlier.

If ?
Sorry to break it to you but this is the real world.
married or not, with your approval or not, relationships are
a part of life.
No one is asking to make it legal ! !
The controversy is, someone wants to make them
illegal and have it as a criminal offense. Lol
In that case everything would end up being illegal.

edit on 15/4/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

Thanks for your total lack of respect.

Polygamy means men with a few women, and women with a few men.

So, a woman is with a man, then that man goes with another woman, so the woman who is pissed off goes with the brother of that man...

Do you get it yet?

You are very slow.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Look...Let's keep it simple here.

Why in hell should anyone trust anything that bleeds for more than three days and lives to tell about it, let alone have more than one of them ??? LOL

Ok Joke's over. I truly believe that polygamy should not even be in the law's radar at all. Nothing about it should be illegal. As long as all is between consenting adults and the resulting children do not suffer from the situation......

Now, the true problem is when the resulting kids eventually start inbreeding....It's such a closed society that people do not explore outside the circle.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Evidently it is you who doesn't get it.

You clearly have no idea what polygamy is. It is an agreed upon marriage with multiple partners. No one gets pissed since it is AGREED upon. There is no need to sneak around, since consenting adults AGREED to be involved in a multiple partner marriage.

Grow up.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Not interested in this BS. Keep it under wraps because there are others who can't stand women being abused like that, so if its not two couples sharing, its not right. And two couples sharing isn't a good ideal for children, so not on this planet.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
What is it with all of this incest and child abuse talk?

One has nothing to do with the other.

Or has TV trained you all so well you can't seen anything but what you've been taught to see?

Everyday it looks like the uphill battle toward sanity is steeper than I last thought. At this point its becoming an negative pitch climb.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Who is being abused?

No one.

Stop with the drama queen antics and stick to intellectual debate.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
What makes people think that polygamy is illegal ?

You can marry whoever or whatever you want to, and there are no laws prohibiting you from doing so.

The big problem with the marriage issue is: why should anybody gain any legal advantages by going through the government sanctioned version of marriage ?

Why should an 'unmarried' couple ( or triple, quadruple or quintuple, if that's your thing
) be discriminated against because they do not wish to be married in a state-sponsored ceremony ?

Following on from that point, I wonder how many of the ''government should stay out of marriage'' brigade enjoy the legal advantages and perks that they receive from willingly partaking in a government-endorsed marriage.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Following on from that point, I wonder how many of the ''government should stay out of marriage'' brigade enjoy the legal advantages and perks that they receive from willingly partaking in a government-endorsed marriage.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

I can tell you I dont.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get her on my insurance without being married though. I even tried to get a civil union so she could get on the insurance without having to ask for marriage permission but since we're hetero we cant get that.

I was all set to do it years ago until I found out I had to ask for permission. That just killed the whole thing for me.

For religious purposes the gov is essentially out of marriage but Ive never been religious. I just want my household to be treated like a household. Maybe we can incorporate as an LLC or something?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join