It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dimensions Explaination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Could anyone take the time and discuss the whole "10 Dimension" theory to me? I have no idea where this came from or anything about it and have only read about it here and there. The last time I checked there was supposed to be only four dimensions?

Utterly Confused....HeH

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Hey there Stxyvolt

i havent heard the 10 dimensions theory before. there is one that was called the string theory now reffered to as the M theory which was 11 dimensions

heres some info on it en.wikipedia.org...

thats about as much help as i can be sorry, science aint my strongest point

rynaldo

[edit on 26-7-2004 by rynaldo82]

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Thats 10 physical dimensions and 1 time. Both from M-theory, thats why you hear both numbers.

First of all read up on string theory.
superstringtheory.com...

After that the rest of this will make sense...

If a person looks at a wire up in the air it looks like a line, one dimension. But an ant on that wire could walk back and forth along the wire or go around it. That small circular dimension is there, but from a distance we don't see it. The same goes for very very small particles. They are 10 dimensional, but in our large world we only see 3 of those 10. So everything is 10 dimensions, we just see 3 of them.

These are real, physical, dimension that exist all around us and in us, just like anywhere in the universe there is still and up and down.

Now M-theory ALSO sugest there are other universe overlaping ours. Different "dimensions" we can see with our eyes. It seems that gravity might actually move between universes, we hope to verrify this one day.

So when people talk about "other dimensions" they probably mean the second type, a form a alternate universe if you will. If people are talking about the 10 or 11 dimensions they probably mean physical and time in this universe.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Are there any sites which model this theory? Like a diagram of some sort?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Even though I've posted this site before(as have other people as well) I'll post it again. It's a 3 Hour Nova special called the Elegant Universe. Pretty easy to understand, with lots of pretty graphics to show you what they are explaining.

www.pbs.org...
Quicktime is strongly suggested for maximum viewing pleasure

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styxvolt
Are there any sites which model this theory? Like a diagram of some sort?

Not really... M-theory is a little beyond diagrams. Its math, but its kind of hard to draw 10 dimensional graphs of billions of particle just to model one atom.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The more I think about this stuff, the less sense it makes. Can mathematics alone really give answers to the secrets of the universe? To me it's like trying to determine the contents of a jack-in-the-box by measuring its exterior.

Take for instance the time dimension. If everything in the universe stopped moving, that is, all photons stopped moving, all electrons stopped moving etc., we would consider time to have stopped in the universe when in reality it was only a lack of movement. Time is then only a measurement of movement in relation to a constant or reference point and in itself does not really exist.

We say that we live in 3 dimensional space because we can define 3 planes and give offsets to a position in relation to those 3 planes. You could also define a single spherical dimension with a near infinite number of planes. And for the purpose of measuring something, that's fine, but where do they draw the line and say that a plane has a physical existence or a plane is only a relational reference point to something else?

[edit on 28-7-2004 by electric]

top topics

join