It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

page: 14
24
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I support gay rights all the way, but . . . .


Uh yeah!

I hear that "but" following "I support gay rights" - - - - in every gay subject thread.




posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

There are plenty of adults from past generations that can't balance their check books. Your point?

It is not gay history. It is history recognizing the contribution of homosexuals and lesbians.





The sexual orientation of great contributors to society means absolutely nothing, whether they are straight or gay.

Get over it and stop looking for affirmation of your sexuality.



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I have no problems with anyone's sexual orientation (short of pedophiles) but this is a bit ridiculous. I think kids need more time running laps and playing sports than learning gay history.







edit on 4/18/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: removed gratuitous spam links



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jannypan
I have no problems with anyone's sexual orientation (short of pedophiles) but this is a bit ridiculous. I think kids need more time running laps and playing sports than learning gay history.


If you had a gay child you might feel differently.

And it isn't gay history. Its history that recognizes those that are homosexual/lesbian.



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
The sexual orientation of great contributors to society means absolutely nothing, whether they are straight or gay.

Get over it and stop looking for affirmation of your sexuality.


That's because its automatically assumed everyone is straight.

Such the case that it isn't an issue.



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I have never seen so much hate in an ATS thread. The homophobic opinions of some members are no different then the people who tried to keep black people drinking at different water fountains then white people.

People in this country fight equality so much. They base their opinions on some pseudo religious reasoning That something is immoral or unnatural. How does an ancient book filled with exaggerations have any bearing on a modern society? They even teach creationism is school while debating the merits of stem cell research.

These views keep our society from actuality progressing. You argue and waste energy trying to prevent the unavoidable. 10-20 years from now gay marriage will be legal in every state. The homosexual communities history and struggle for civil rights will be taught in every school. Students will look back at our society as hateful and small minded. When that time comes and homophobia is as unacceptable as racism all the homophobic posters will claim they were not the homophobes they actually were.
edit on 18-4-2011 by drock905 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by ViperChili
The sexual orientation of great contributors to society means absolutely nothing, whether they are straight or gay.

Get over it and stop looking for affirmation of your sexuality.


That's because its automatically assumed everyone is straight.

Such the case that it isn't an issue.



Or perhaps, like a normal, intelligent, thinking adult, people simply don't care about someones sexual orientation.

People that wear their sexual preferences on their sleeve, much as you have shown here, tend to have much deeper mental afflictions such as extreme insecurity, and very low self esteem.



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Originally posted by Annee

There are plenty of adults from past generations that can't balance their check books. Your point?

It is not gay history. It is history recognizing the contribution of homosexuals and lesbians.





The sexual orientation of great contributors to society means absolutely nothing, whether they are straight or gay.

Get over it and stop looking for affirmation of your sexuality.


If things were all fair and great that ya I would agree with you. This kind of class would just be a first step into making society comfterable with homosexuality which it is not right now. Can no one place them selves in anothers shoes and imagine how crappy it would feel to be irrationally hated by millions of people?



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheKnave



If things were all fair and great that ya I would agree with you. This kind of class would just be a first step into making society comfterable with homosexuality which it is not right now. Can no one place them selves in anothers shoes and imagine how crappy it would feel to be irrationally hated by millions of people?


Why must society be "comfortable" with anything they dislike?

I have no problem with gays whatsoever. Admittedly, I think the crossdressers are a little nutty, and no amount of "crossdresser history" classes would change an opinion.

Does the fact that someone who may have contributed something great to the planet liked to wear a hot pink thong and a bra change their contribution? Absolutely not.

Is additional education needed to point out the great crossdressers over the years in order to make current crossdressers feel better? Hell no.



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
Does the fact that someone who may have contributed something great to the planet liked to wear a hot pink thong and a bra change their contribution? Absolutely not.

Is additional education needed to point out the great crossdressers over the years in order to make current crossdressers feel better? Hell no.


Man - talk about stereotype views of gays.

Oh - I know - but . . . .



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


Try reading comprehension 101 at your local community college.

My comment clearly referred to crossdressers, which should have been obvious, since I said this:



Admittedly, I think the crossdressers are a little nutty, and no amount of "crossdresser history" classes would change an opinion.


and



Is additional education needed to point out the great crossdressers over the years in order to make current crossdressers feel better? Hell no.


Comprehending what you read is crucial to debate.

edit on 18-4-2011 by ViperChili because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
no people do not fight for equality everyday

why else would we continually keep straping labels on ourselves such as

left,right,straight.gay,lesbian,white,black, etc and of course the hypenated american names.

every thing we do is to set ourselves apart from everyone else implying that just be an american is not good enough.

if people wanted true equality then drop the labels



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
no people do not fight for equality everyday

why else would we continually keep straping labels on ourselves such as

left,right,straight.gay,lesbian,white,black, etc and of course the hypenated american names.

every thing we do is to set ourselves apart from everyone else implying that just be an american is not good enough.

if people wanted true equality then drop the labels





good point

1st star from me

(must mean the end of the world???)



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
if people wanted true equality then drop the labels



Shall we call you anonymous? A name is a label too.

I find your argument does not fit the situation.

Let's nullify and void Christian/religion/hate/prejudice also.



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


Lets void forced "tolerance" as well.

People are free to dislike others for whatever reason they choose.



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
reply to post by Annee
 


Lets void forced "tolerance" as well.


NO - - let's not.

Pretty damn sad - - - minorities are forced to fight for acceptance and tolerance.

My mom was a polio victim. She had a full length brace on one leg and walked with two Kenny Sticks.

Prior to the Disability Act - - - my mom was refused admittance to restaurants (and other places) because it might upset other patrons or she might fall.

And don't tell me its not the same thing.

edit on 18-4-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


So you support violating on persons rights in order to make someone else feel good about themselves.




posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people would be added to the lengthy list of social and ethnic groups that public schools must include in social studies lessons under a landmark bill passed Thursday by the California Senate.

If the bill is adopted by the state Assembly and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown, California would become the first state to require the teaching of gay history. Supporters say the move is needed to counter anti-gay stereotypes and beliefs that make children in those groups vulnerable to bullying and suicide.

Opponents counter that such instruction would further burden an already crowded curriculum and expose students to a subject that some parents find objectionable. The legislation, sponsored by Democratic Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco, passed on a 23-14 party line vote. It also would add disabled people to the curriculum.


Entire article

Lol, the nutjobs in CA never cease to amaze me.

How about spending more time on important subjects like math or science?

No, instead, gay history is more important.
No, you got it wrong. Gay history is AS IMPORTANT. Thus why the inclusion.



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
reply to post by Annee
 


Try reading comprehension 101 at your local community college.

My comment clearly referred to crossdressers, which should have been obvious, since I said this:



Admittedly, I think the crossdressers are a little nutty, and no amount of "crossdresser history" classes would change an opinion.


and



Is additional education needed to point out the great crossdressers over the years in order to make current crossdressers feel better? Hell no.


Comprehending what you read is crucial to debate.

edit on 18-4-2011 by ViperChili because: (no reason given)
One of our FBI Directors was a notorious cross dresser, maybe you heard of him in your History class decades ago, J Edgar Hoover? So, cross dressers are ALREADY being discussed.

It is not reading comprehension you seem to need to be worrying about.



posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
reply to post by Annee
 


So you support violating on persons rights in order to make someone else feel good about themselves.



Must have missed your post in which you elucidate the violations of a person's rights pertaining to your OP. Please enlighten us.



new topics




 
24
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join