It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Not you perhaps, but children are much more impressionable and that's what we're talking about.

That being said, I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I love lipstick-lesbians.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

"If that makes them happy"............are you suggesting the gay lifestyle is by choice? Just asking.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

Then why didn't "the Lord" giveth them (gays) a "normal" sexual orientation? Or, you probably believe it is a choice.
edit on 15-4-2011 by aero56 because: typo

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy

You think that it is disgusting and disturbing to learn about people and politicians who have been unjustly assassinated for a positive cause like what happened to Harvey Milk? Then I can only assume that you think that it is disgusting and disturbing to learn about people like Martin Luther King and Abraham Lincoln as well. And you think that it is disgusting to learn about notable literary figures such as Oscar Wilde? Then I can only assume that you also find it equally disgusting and disturbing to learn about authors like Mark Twain and Charles Dickens.

I think that Cali is glad not to have you living there, too.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 1RedRose

All the more reasons to educate the children, age appropriately, of course. Knowledge is power.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
using the Bible to validate anything but religious questions is irrelevant and inappropriate. If you are going to use the Bible for hate and segregation maybe you should (re)read the parts about non-judgment and acceptance.

There are plenty of twin-studies (with identical vs fraternal vs non-related) that show homosexuality is NOT simply a choice. Get educated.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1RedRose
Right now the times are very tough for very many people, make a real difference, volunteer, donate anything you can do to help society as a whole. We all have to start helping each other, not start adding more distractions from the real issues affecting everyone worldwide. Many liberties are no longer and many more are taken every day... focus on that.

If we are going to help each other - - then we will make sure everyone has equal rights.

And every one who deserves past recognition - - gets it.

And I'm raising an 11 year old. She says "does gay mean a boy likes a boy - - instead of girls?" Yes - - and then she responded "Oh! OK -- and ran outside to play".

The kids don't care. If adults would grow up and get over it - - - there wouldn't be a problem.

Gay and child predator - - are NOT synonymous.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Originally posted by Annee

Because it is the kids generation.

And not yours.

Then perhaps the kids should choose without being influenced by faculty members.

It's not the generation of the people choosing to implement this policy either.

Of course you missed the point. Of course you chose to miss the point.

My mom was raised with prejudice. She raised us without prejudice and to accept all people as equal. BECAUSE - - it didn't belong in our generation. Gay prejudice and judgment doesn't belong in this current generation of children.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Its funny really

the argument is that homosexuality is a choice and the gay agenda will turn people gay...

yet they never answer if they could be convinced into being gay....they tend to run and hide verses give an honest question about that.

That tells me all I need to know about their mindsets

either they are secretly gay, completely retarded, or a flat out liar just wanting to persecute someone.

that is really the only 3 options by ducking the question...and frankly, the answer cannot really be answered without shoving yourself into one of the 3 catagories anyhow...no win either way...and frankly, it is a debate ender question.

Ignore them is the best option..and whenever you see em lurking around the net and talking about homosexuality being a choice...well, ask them that question loudly and in public.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

Ugh. Why are some people so ignorant? History is history, no matter the gender/race/beliefs of those involved. Gay individuals have been around just as long as anyone else, and as ignorance about them rears it's ugly head it becomes more important to teach about the ignorance that too many people hold against them as well as the gays' struggles, accomplishments, etc. relating to the history of their story as well as history in general. School systems are a joke in general. I don't believe there should be a separate class for each little sub-division of history, no. But all aspects should be taught in the same damn class, regardless of topic or whether it makes someone uncomfortable. Ignorant, war-hungry presidents are not my thing, but hell, I had to sit through and learn about them, though I didn't like the topic. Students should be given the information and be allowed to make up their own minds (yes parents, children can form their own thoughts. Quite the concept, huh? ) regarding any topic. The world isn't going to hell cause anybody is gay, the human race is failing cause of moronic humans. Gays are people, just with a different preference that most. They are still people, and that's the bottom line.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Ok guys listen... I am living proof that nurture does not influence gender orientation. I was raised by four lesbians but I am entirely heterosexual but I fight for gay rights at every turn I can. I know first hand that this is not a choice for people. Homosexuality, in the most conservative estimate, could be considered anomalous but not immoral. They exist within a society telling them it is not ok to be gay so they bury it. They hide it and it tortures them. This is no way to force someone to live. Every single person here that promotes that homosexuality is immoral is judgmental and close minded (ironic for this site). There is no argument against homosexuality that hasn't already been picked apart and left the accuser facing their own judgmental bigotry. They just don't want to think about it to hard.

I wont be posting again here this stuff gets me to worked up. I apologize if I am coming off as a little too passionate but how would you guys like it if I called your family immoral, wrong and compared them to child molesters.

Just love people, come on. Its not that hard. Why cant we all just get along already.
edit on 15-4-2011 by TheKnave because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2011 by TheKnave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheKnave

From a social curiousity...

Did you have male role models in your life? I have no issue with gays raising kids, but I believe that both male and female roles need to be in the life of a child through all phases of development for psychological identification reasons.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Did you have male role models in your life? I have no issue with gays raising kids, but I believe that both male and female roles need to be in the life of a child through all phases of development for psychological identification reasons.

I really do not think that is necessary anymore.

Maybe during the time there was definite defined roles - - - but not any more.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I really do not think that is necessary anymore.

Maybe during the time there was definite defined roles - - - but not any more.

I disagree fully
there are still roles in society...not for jobs, or anything considered better or worse, but just to have self identification overall. we are not some androgonus species and anyone that has only one influence role will indeed not be adjusted well just out of their own psychological views.

Any psychologist, the most liberal you can find, will state the same...male and females think and act different. this is not a society conditioning, this is biological fact.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people would be added to the lengthy list of social and ethnic groups that public schools must include in social studies lessons under a landmark bill passed Thursday by the California Senate.

If the bill is adopted by the state Assembly and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown, California would become the first state to require the teaching of gay history. Supporters say the move is needed to counter anti-gay stereotypes and beliefs that make children in those groups vulnerable to bullying and suicide.

Opponents counter that such instruction would further burden an already crowded curriculum and expose students to a subject that some parents find objectionable. The legislation, sponsored by Democratic Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco, passed on a 23-14 party line vote. It also would add disabled people to the curriculum.

Entire article

Lol, the nutjobs in CA never cease to amaze me.

How about spending more time on important subjects like math or science?

No, instead, gay history is more important.

This is one of the reason why American children do so poorly in schools. You think there are certain things in history that should not be taught because you don't agree with them. History is history and it should be taught in it's entirety. I didn't see how they were promoting a gay history month or anything of that sort so what exactly is the problem with teaching things that have actually happened?

Maybe it would make the kids question your book burning barbeques or something?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I disagree fully
there are still roles in society...not for jobs, or anything considered better or worse, but just to have self identification overall. we are not some androgonus species and anyone that has only one influence role will indeed not be adjusted well just out of their own psychological views.

Any psychologist, the most liberal you can find, will state the same...male and females think and act different. this is not a society conditioning, this is biological fact.

In today's world most children are very involved in sports and other out of home activities - - plus TV and Internet. Its not so much like in the 50s - - when kids went home from school - - and pretty much stayed there - - maybe playing in the local neighborhood.

They are not confined to parental role models.

I agree there is a physiological difference between genders - - and recent studies show Gay Men have brains similar to females and Lesbians have brains similar to males. There is a whole lot of "shades of gray".

The big divide just isn't there anymore.

I was raised by a mother and grandmother. I didn't relate to either one of them. I think like me - - - identity is coming more and more from outside the home.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

I think what you view as gays cramming something down your throat is actually retaliatory survival. These are people who are disowned and outright hated by their mothers fathers brothers and sisters as well as occasionally being tied to a fence and beaten to death. They are told they are not welcome at churches who profess to follow the teachings of Christ. Not to mention publicly ridiculed by their peers at school and even at work as adults. They suffer this persecution for being the person god made them. A wider margin to be a bit outspoken is the least the world can grant them. An Atheist person might view a prayer circle at high school the same way you view a gay pride parade. No they are not having religion crammed down their throat, but they are offended when they have to be accepting of it. Saying your accepting because you don't have a problem with people doing what they want behind closed doors isn't really fair. What if you were only allowed to be strait when no one was looking, but the rest of the time you had to pretend to be gay? Would life be fun for you?

Openly gay people didn't do it because its fun or to fit in. Do you think they took the easy path by making the conscious decision to endure the above persecutions for the rest of their lives? Each openly gay person knows that many people who would just as soon burn them alive as look at them yet they speak out against that persecution. Whats the big deal? Be satisfied.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join