It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant whirlpools in Atlantic Ocean puzzle scientists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rachelkarto

I don't think the people on land have anything to worry about, but if you still have friends or relatives there, tell them to be careful taking their boats out into the ocean, they could get into trouble if it gets strong enough.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

Something really weird is going on, yall remember last year all the sinkholes with most of them being perfectly round,seems be connected.

The bible does say that in the last days,there will be signs in the earth,sun,moon and stars,
and even mentions the sea with the waves roaring.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Common sense dictates that if these things were real, they would be ALL OVER the news.....theres no way that two 250mile wide whirlpools would escape the MSN......

Not to mention the massive loss of ships and life it would cause........

Sorry not buying it

where have you been? MSN does not necessarily report what most of us consider to be important news.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Ocean whirlpools look pretty much like some galaxies... oh Im yearning for the Norway Spiral now... what a couple of weeks we had!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ozscot
Unfortunately Pravda has cried wolf so many times it's hard to believe them about anything anymore. If it's true - it's sensational but I have my doubts. Mostly because a) It's Pravda b) They say US scientists discovered them, then explain it all from the point of view of a Brazilian???

Oz

I feel inclined to agree with you. After reading the original source for this story and trying to find other stories related to the subject as well as the scientists name - Guilherme Castallane - I have only found the very same story copied on several other websites like ATS, no official news sources, and also nothing on the alleged scientist either.

So this smells like radioactive fish to me.

Namaste.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I wonder if there is a way to find out exactly were in the ocean it is and if there have been any quakes in the same area. An underwater quake could open up a fisure and the water could be draining into that. Valcanos do it all the time only upwards. The same thing happen in Japan after and offshore aftershock. Interesting.
We are draining so much from the earth between oil, gas, water, there are bound to be hollow areas. Florida has been hit sy thousand of sink holes and they severely increased when they started sucking water from the aquafers in the 90's

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Unfortunately Pravad.ru does come up with some sily made up stories from time to time - and given the complete lack of any further evidence for this story, least of all a published paper describing the phenomena, my guess is that at best this is a case of mistranslation.

Worth noting that a whirlpool is not caused by water going down a 'hole', but by changes in water flow, often the result of two currents or tides reacting against each other. Examples include the famous moskenstraumen, or maelstrom, off Norway and the Corryvreckan off Jura in Scotland.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Don't know if anyone's suggested this, but what if...the same tech that gave us the Norway Spiral is being used horizontally to "stir" up the waters?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
after hours of looking around, I cannot find one single shred of fact in this document. None of the people mentioned can be found, i can't find any info on the study, nor can I find another source that doesn't eventually link back to the pravda article. hmmm...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible

According to Brazilian scientist Guilherme Castellane, the two funnels are approximately 400 kilometers in diameter. Until now, these were not known on Earth. The funnels reportedly exert a strong influence on climate changes that have been registered during the recent years.

400 KM diameter whirlpools? I don't think so. The energy from something like that would create massive tsunami's.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
There's been a lot of quake activity around the Virgin Islands, had a 5.1 today even per www.oe-files.de...
dutchsinse, MSelectromagnetic, and patrioticspace think a big 'un might be coming in this area: www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Here's the whole picture of the whirlpool. As you can see the one used in the original article cropped out some important information to give size and scale. I call bunk.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8231f4218fb3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I have to talk about this on the 4 march there was an article and fishes warned japanes about incoming earthquake

see

dailycosmicnews.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Water natural spirals. It spirals going down a pipe, it spirals out of your bathtub, which is why it spirals going down the toilet.

What probably caused the Japan whirlpool and what can cause them many times is a change in surface levels underneath the water, like a waterfall under water. The water spirals in to fill the space and a whirlpool is created.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by crudos
Here's the whole picture of the whirlpool. As you can see the one used in the original article cropped out some important information to give size and scale. I call bunk.
Good find, how did you find that image?

For anyone that didn't notice, the 2004 date gets cut off when it's displayed on ATS, so it's an old image.

Originally posted by ceetee
after hours of looking around, I cannot find one single shred of fact in this document. None of the people mentioned can be found, i can't find any info on the study, nor can I find another source that doesn't eventually link back to the pravda article. hmmm...
Now that you mention it, it does link back to pravda and that is an unreliable source. Combined with the unreliable information and the old picture, we can't rule out that the story is completely fabricated.

If anyone finds a reliable source, post it, but all I found was a lot more unreliable sources, many of them referring back to pravda.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Just did a Google image search for "whirlpool" and the original image comes up after a few pages. Selective cropping can really tell a story sometimes. lol.

The original date on the photo is 29.02.2004
edit on 13-4-2011 by crudos because: additional info

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rachelkarto
Hey, I'm from Suriname. I just heard it on the radio and decided to look it up on the internet. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it, I thought it was a joke! In Suriname we dont have earthquakes, tropical storms or tornados, so we're a blessed country when you look at from a nature point of view. But now we have a whrilpool on our coast? Oh my, should I be worried? My country has a width of app 400 km!!

Interesting. This may be the key to figuring out if this is all bunk or not. What is the name of this radio station and do you know the announcer's name(s)? What time was this brought up and did they also confirm the size of 400km? Please we need all the info we can from your neck of the woods, because there's nothing being reported about it outside of Suriname.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Came across this video in a duplicate thread. Thought it was interesting.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
400km in diameter,
I highly doubt that, we have buoys, ocean current monitoring satellites that would pick this up in seconds.
I would assume this would be visible to the naked eye from space.

The picture looks very familiar to the whirlpools under the "Golden Gate bridge", i'm almost positive I've seen that before.

Let me go find that BS flag!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I don't think that guy knows what he's talking about, it doesn't have anything to do with any whirlpools, most likely.

I used to work on offshore drilling platforms and we had to do lifeboat drills to train for this kind of occurrence, it's not unheard of.

Here's the link he was referring to:
hisz.rsoe.hu...

The most common reason I was told for rigs sinking like this was either a drilling mud weight problem (not dense enough) if it happened before casing was cemented in place, or if it happened after the casing was cemented in place it was probably due to a bad cement job. In either case it could be a pocket of natural gas or some other kind of compressed gasses leaking up through the drill hole area. The effect is sort of like standing on the beach where the waves are lapping at your feet, you slowly sink into the sand each time a wave hits. In the case of the drill hole, it's the escaping gases that erode away the supporting sea floor, and the rig consequently sinks. There may be other causes too, but that's the cause we were warned about when we did the lifeboat drills.

If the escaping compressed gas bubbling to the surface includes hydrogen sulfide, you'll die on the lifeboat because breathing hydrogen sulfide will kill you. So our lives literally depended on the mud and cement engineers doing a good job by preventing gas from escaping.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join