It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant whirlpools in Atlantic Ocean puzzle scientists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

Whirlpools are not protons. And one of the size of the state of new york would be quite visible on a recent satalite image. There are none.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

You mean like this one..

s3.amazonaws.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Not quite sure why this is considered a big deal. Let alone some crying hoax. How many of us, for fun, made whirlpools in our swimming pools during our youth? Just plain old water currents. Although they can be spectacular to witness. So thanx OP for the great pics!

edit on 23-4-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

One low resolution image? Yes, I saw that too. Do you have anything else? Do you understand how easy it is to fake something by lowering its resolution? Anything at all?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Picture isn't fake by the way. Have you the slightest clue how to do independent research? You can do this stuff too ya know. It's not hard, google is very simple to use.

www.treehugger.com...
edit on 25-4-2011 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Deep water is not surface. The great deep has rivers and huge systems all the time. Not on the surface to that extreme.

Aside from the fact that the image is clearly of Japan, when the topic is about the Atlantic ocean, I still stand hear asking you for some proof.
edit on 25-4-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Clearly you won't be convinced until Phage himself comes in here and says so himself. So, feel free to move on.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

No, it's just that the image you supplied is not relevant for the story, nor is it confirmed true yet. Neither story nor image.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
A simple Google search of whirlpools in the Atlantic seems to only reveal conspiracy sites, and no verifiable science or meteorology sites, nothing of the magnitude presented here on NOAA site either, this is fiction.

Google search

NOAA whirlpool search

While you are at the NOAA site, hit the first link and learn a little about the incredible 50-foot tides at Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia/New Brunswick.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

That link takes us to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I know that. I was only showing the other poster that the image was not fake.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
While there does seem to be a serious lack of mainstream news reports, or even an University news release, the story doesn't sound all that far fetched.

These are the best links I could find.

www.eutimes.net...

english.pravda.ru...

The water in this whirlpool isn't moving that fast.

"Funnels rotate clockwise. They are moving in the ocean like giant frisbees, two discs thrown into the air. Rotation occurs at a rate of one meter per second, the speed is sufficiently large compared to the speed of oceanic currents, on the border hoppers is a wave-step height of 40 cm," Castellane said.

Chances are that without proper instruments, you wouldn't notice this giant swirl of water.

From the NASA link provided by Ear-Responsible, these giant whirlpools do exist, just mostly underwater, while these two are apparently on the surface. Who knows, maybe many more of these giant whirlpools exist, that have yet to be found. With breakers of only 40cm, I don't see how this could be seen from space.

As more and more ice melts and we see more and more fresh water from the melting glaciers, what are the chances that the less dense fresh water actually leads up to the ocean currents speeding up, instead of slowing down. This is opposite to what the predictions of the N Atlantic current shutting down.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

We still have not found any real photos. And something this large one would expect to see some real proof.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Really, you think you can see a wave hopper of 40 cm in the ocean from space?

How is that?

Probably, even on a ship sailing through this giant whirlpool, you wouldn't even see it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

It said it was the size of New York State.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
A giant whirlpool of 400 km wide? If that existed it would be such a hazard to commercial shipping that it would be widely (no pun intended) known, scientifically documented, and probably filmed.

It's wonderful to think that nature could conjure up such monsters. But I think rationality has to win the day here.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

First things that got into my mind was "hollow Earth theory".

Just...WoW. I've been told in the past that these whirlpools do exist, but never saw one until today

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Bump. I want to read this later.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Looks like this has now been glimpsed from space.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join