It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant whirlpools in Atlantic Ocean puzzle scientists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
Assuming this is even real, which is unlikely, there does not have to be a hole to cause a whirlpool. In other words for your hollow earth people, this doesn't lend any evidence whatsoever to your theory.

It was just a theory posted amongst many others. No one said anything about myself or others being Hollow Earth Theory advocates. Just sifting through the many possibilities.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

That is really cool. All doom and gloom a side that is awesome......Back to the D&G.. Didn't a whirlpool show up of the coast of Japan after the Big one? Has there ever been any evdence of whirlpools before a quake? I'm gonna check that out.

Link
edit on 12-4-2011 by highfreq because: Link

Thank you for embedding the picture! And yes a whirlpool did show up after the Japan quake/tsunami. There have also been whirlpools before a quake or in the absence of one. I posted a link to a previous ATS topic about one that was in Australia that actually lowered the ocean levels. Check it out, it's in my first post.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

The Earth isn't hollow, firstly. We know there are pockets of space within the Earth..we call these caves and lava chambers and such, but the Earth is known to not be a hollow ball....

Whirlpools occur when there is a pressure difference between underlaying and overlaying layers of water. In your bath tub this happens when you open the drain. In larger bodies of water this can happen due to temperature variations and in the ocean it can happen due to salinity variations. It is most common in areas where a large body of fresh water surges into a body of salt water. Ocean currents, surface verses deep water temperatures, changes in salinity.. Not giant drains in the ocean and hollow planets. Any cavern within the Earth would have a size limit due to the inherent strength of the rock that must support the weight of the land or water above the cavern. Even the largest of imaginable caverns would fill quickly if a flow the size of an ocean current were to flood it.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Someone please turn off the stargate.

Whirlpools are common where currents collide.

Its just that now with all the satellites monitoring earth we are starting to see them clearly.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Whirlpools are a common occurrence - no doubt about it. But they can be monitored by satellite even when they are underwater - NASA has reported this one (which is nowhere near where the Pravda article suggests)...

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Oz

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
A black hole.

The LHC at CERN finally did it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
HOLY JESUS! thats huge!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
"In addition, marine water contains many charged ions, Na and Cl for example. To crown it all, water molecules are dipoles that are charged both positively and negatively.

Any dipole starts spinning when moving in the magnetic field. An oceanic ring gathers millions of billions of molecules together."

I am no scientist but is this the answer? We keep hearing about the increase in magnetic activity and (amongst others) the south atlantic anomaly. Im sure i heard recently that there are more of these anomolies over the world as well so maybe its just perfectly natural and nothing to worry about?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

It very well could be. Good to hear a different theory on the matter. I wish I could find a more legit source but haven't been able to. I'll keep looking.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Cool I think I just found something to legitimize this!

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Interesting.

EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed the date on the nasa link. Posted March 23, 2006
edit on 13-4-2011 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
This is a very interesting thread thank for posting it.. Ive never seen anything like this before its huge does make me wonder were all that water does go i will be following this thread to see what others have to say...S&F

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
I'm sorry but this seems to be a hoax. Compare the Japan Tsunami whirlpool at about 40 seconds into the video, with the photo attached to the story. The timing alone seems to give caution, and apparently this news source has been known in the past to hoax material.

edit on 12-4-2011 by ExPostFacto because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry but your post doesn't show anything, that this is a hoax.

cheers.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Common sense dictates that if these things were real, they would be ALL OVER the news.....theres no way that two 250mile wide whirlpools would escape the MSN......

Not to mention the massive loss of ships and life it would cause........

Sorry not buying it

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

It's all good, cause I'm not selling it
I just ran across it and thought it was interesting to say the least. I'm kind of leaning towards hoax myself. I can't find anything on the supposed scientists

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247
All I can think of is what happens when a bathtub is full and you remove the drain stopper,

Maybe I'm simplifying Mother Nature too much, but it just seems that this phenomenon has to be caused by holes/cracks in the seabed from tectonic activity.

Yes, you may be over simplifying Mother Nature.

Whirlpools or vortices are generally formed when there is low pressure or more precisely, when there are presence of pressure gradients(differences).

The larger the scale, the easier the vortices/whirlpool will form due to the effects of Coriolis Force and Reynolds Number. At really large scales, vortices/whirlpools will readily form even the slightest pressure differences. Very good examples are hurricanes, cyclones, etc.

Out in the sea is the same thing, you don't need to have a hole to create a whirlpool, just create even small pressure difference but over a very wide area will do. Something that ocean currents can easily make under special circumstances.

Not trying to downplay hollow Earth theory but I did just enough research into vortex phenomenon in the past including experiments to know about it and even see it first hand
edit on 13-4-2011 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

thats exactly what i thought

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
www.bibliotecapleyades.net... hopefully this sheds some light on the topic

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by G0SPEL

It kinda just confused me more haha. But it looks like a very interesting read, thank you for that.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
little snippet of info for the 'OMG, that is huge, how are they hiding this' people... a whirlpool doesn't always mean deah and destruction.

google define:

A whirlpool is a swirling body of water usually produced by ocean tides. The vast majority of whirlpools are not very powerful. More powerful ones are more properly termed maelstroms. Vortex is the proper term for any whirlpool that has a downdraft. ...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Hey, I'm from Suriname. I just heard it on the radio and decided to look it up on the internet. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it, I thought it was a joke! In Suriname we dont have earthquakes, tropical storms or tornados, so we're a blessed country when you look at from a nature point of view. But now we have a whrilpool on our coast? Oh my, should I be worried? My country has a width of app 400 km!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join