It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN document would give 'Mother Earth' same rights as humans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

UN document would give 'Mother Earth' same rights as humans

www.canada.com

UNITED NATIONS — Bolivia will this month table a draft United Nations treaty giving "Mother Earth" the same rights as humans — having just passed a domestic law that does the same for bugs, trees and all other natural things in the South American country.

It also establishes a Ministry of Mother Earth, and provides the planet with an ombudsman whose job is to hear nature's complaints as voiced by activist and other groups, including the state.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The idiocy of the UN continues to hit new heights. Now we are giving the earth personhood status.

Perhaps it is noble in thought and gesture, but it is of course an meaningless, unenforceable notion that has absolutely no purpose.

The UN can not stop genocide in a place like Sudan, which with the resources available to it is nothing more than a school yard scrap, yet they have the time and waste the energy on this garbage.

Ultimately, however this is another insidious notion that will attempt to regulate global production, moving to a global government. The global will use any tactic they can to accomplish that goal, this is but another.

It won't work, but it is much more about that than saving some bugs and flowers.

Time to disband the UN.

www.canada.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I hope this pic illustrates what I felt when I read this.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The can of worms something like this can open is limitless. New laws made under the UN can trounce individual country's laws, and eventually will increase revenue for law enforcement.
Where can this go? Going to prison for cutting trees down or killing weeds? Fines for digging holes in our backyards?

And why aren't they buckling down with current human rights violations taking place every second of every day that these governments can't even begin to regulate or control? Let's work on people's rights before we go saving planets and stars and galaxies.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
While true, that nature is a living organism which we are part of...but seriously, like we pose any kind of threat to earth who has been making it's rounds for 4 billion years now and not hurting bugs is gonna change anything...these environmentalists are just the worst, of the worst regarding idiocy.
edit on 12-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Although I completely agree with you I just wanted to say..

It's different when it's our own planet.. We only get one.. that's it.. we screw it up.. we screw ourselves.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Mother Earth doesn't need our protection..

The Earth will be fine once we're gone..

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

You almost feel like the Green agenda is the secular version of a church (ie. giant cult) at times.

I honestly feel it's just another piece of the NWO final puzzle.

The U.N. should be dissolved and rebuilt so we should elect people directly, no more appointments. Of course corporate intrests would take that ever too.......

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This seems to be irritating a lot of people.

I like the idea. Maybe the drafting needs a little work but this isn't a terrible idea.

While I think global warming and some environmental issues are definitely manufactured for political reasons I see no reason the planet we live on should not take consideration over any individual nation.

The biodiversity, health of our oceans and rain forests have far reaching effects beyond any country and will eventually effect humanity as a whole.

I for one am not opposed to putting the health of our planet and the eventual well being of life on earth above petty nationalistic concerns.

The problems will be people using this to support political agendas. To stop this I would want to see the planets requirements represented by a multinational group of scientists highly respected in their fields. People whose research funding is independent of any state or corporation. As such the UN would need to establish a research fund and make these scientists completely interdependent answerable only to their client... Earth.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
the earth is above the law and above humans if you want to compare by power. It needs no rights, as it has the right over all of us.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Mother Earth doesn't need our protection..

The Earth will be fine once we're gone..

HAHA

I was going to say that MAN may cause his own extinction but the Earth will recover and be beautiful again and will be around long after we are dead and gone. I don't know about the articles premise but I see nothing wrong protecting the environment a bit more. I cant see anybody arguing against cleaner water/air and leaving some forested areas and jungles for our children's children.

We only have the one Earth that "we know of" so far.

edit on 12-4-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

link   

So the UN, or one particularly screwy UN member, is proposing right status of “Mother Earth” including all its flora and fauna .. I wonder if this will apply to unborn humans as well?

link   
So basically, that would mean someone who cuts down a tree is a murderer and must be held reliable for this outrage? If the tree has human rights it has the right to live, like a bug, snake etc, which leads me to the question: how does the UN plan to assure these human rights of mother nature? They cannot even ensure the human rights of most people living on this planet.

The idiocy of the UN continues and I have the bad feeling that it hasn't peaked at all!

The UN does not care about mother nature and its "human rights," but something they do care of is the global production and its regulation. Nice trick to hide their ulterior motives by wrapping them into something that sounds so good and ecosensitive.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I can see the argument for animal rights because the animals owners can be held responsible for their actions. ie. biting someone, damage caused by them. If you have an offensive dog, that dog can be killed, to protect the rights of others.

Who will be held responsible for the Earth's actions?

The point is that if you can't respect the rights of others, how can you have rights yourself?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I hope this pic illustrates what I felt when I read this.

A lot of Earth haters in this thread. It's okay for corporations to have the same rights as humans but not the living organism of Earth?

Yeah people who care about the planet are way out of control. Man, there aren't enough face palms for the nature haters on here.

We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors we borrow it from our children. - Chief Seattle

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
The can of worms something like this can open is limitless. New laws made under the UN can trounce individual country's laws, and eventually will increase revenue for law enforcement.
Where can this go? Going to prison for cutting trees down or killing weeds? Fines for digging holes in our backyards?

I believe thats a feature, not a flaw.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Here's the problem:

It also establishes a Ministry of Mother Earth, and provides the planet with an ombudsman whose job is to hear nature's complaints as voiced by activist and other groups, including the state.

"Nature's complaints"? Nature doesn't complain about anything -- that's a personification by these activists, who are generally not experts in much, beyond their own opinion. So it's a complete misrepresentation, with no way to go back to the source to say "is that really what you want?" Might as well just create an arbitrary panel of these guys and let them do whatever they want (no, I don't think that's a good idea.
)

On the other hand, I can't wait to file suit in Federal Court against the person of "Mother Earth", seeking to reduce the rate of gravity. Be awesome to jump around like Superman, no?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Although I completely agree with you I just wanted to say..

It's different when it's our own planet.. We only get one.. that's it.. we screw it up.. we screw ourselves.

What choice do we have in countries like the USA? They (TPTB) are withholding TONS of technology and patents that could greatly reduce if not eliminate all garbage and toxic wastes. THEY are keeping us in this cycle, THEY are making us wipe out the forests and ecosystem because they refuse to use things like Hemp, hydrogen motors, wireless and/or free electricity, the list goes on & on.

And we aren't "hurting" the planet, we are hurting the outer layer of the planet and the life forms that inhabit it. If we started messing with the inner core, then that's one thing, but we aren't harming Earth by digging into a tiny portion of the crust... if anything, taking out all that oil isn't doing us any good, so where's the outrage there? Suppressed and maintained as is, we can complain for decades but it won't change, they will just do what they are doing now.... blaming all of us consumers for their actions.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It's not earth thats in trouble it's the people who live on it.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Cool, we should protect our Mother, she gives us life.
I have a better solution, give corporations personhood and hold all under their employ accountable for their atrocities.
Up to and including the death penalty.
Corporations do not worry about killing the earth.
They will pay a million dollar fine and net 10 billion, that's just good business.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join