It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help a lady with her: Puppy?

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Are you feeding your dogs fruits?

Good question. The cherries? Actually that was ages ago and funny enough she ate around them - was funny to watch.

More fruit? This time of year it's virtually impossible to keep her from the grapes. Luci and I live on a working vineyard full of all kinds of fruits. Needless to say I watch her like a hawk but can she get to the grapes? Yes. Have I let her eat them? Just 4 says ago when I was digging a ditch I got a huge kick out of watching her eat grapes off the vine. I didn't think she could get enough to hurt her. I'll look into them now. Maybe the seeds gobbed all up and caused a blockage?

Hard to say. She's doing a little better now - but - still waiting to go to the vet.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Hi you, and thank you so much.

No she can't get to cat food I make sure of that for many reasons.
And you're right! The coincidence of the new dog food and the warning at the same time really frustrated me! No way to know which it is - or maybe none of the two.
And no, I will not confront anyone until I know for sure, but, when I do there's going to be some reckoning. I've stayed quiet for too long. As simple as making a formal complaint with the Caribinieri will turn her inside out. I hope that's enough.

Thank you

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Gracie, I hope everything turns out OK for you both... I am so sorry to hear of this. I know it's a difficult thing, but keep us informed when you know anything and have a moment to hop online. You have folks here who care very much and are very concerned for you and Luci.

Good thoughts and positive energy are being sent your way by the 2 humans, 2 dogs and the kitten who rules them all that live in this house.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I hear ya!
I have a 11 month old pit/lab mix (pitadore), and I now have to keep the emergency vet on speed dial...

The thing about poisons is that some will accumulate in trace amounts over time, while others may take up to a year to show any symptoms. Grapes and raisins will cause vomiting within a few hours of being eaten, but will eventually lead to acute renal failure. I'd be sure to mention anything odd that you know she has eaten to the vet so they can neutralize it if possible.

I unless I missed something skimming the thread, I don't get the impression that your neighbor poisoned her, as most modern commercial animal poisons will cause visible bleeding and bruising do to the anticoagulants in them. I'd eliminate all the other possiblities before calling anyone to confront your neighbor. For one thing, its going to let her know exactly how to get to you in the future, and if she was not using poison before, you can pretty well bet she'll start doing what you acuse her of.

I wish you both the best, and hope for her speedy recovery.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

I'd love to see a pic of the kitten.

We're waiting for the car and the vet - still. It's a long wait for someone that was supposed to be here hours ago but Luci is taking it into stride. Thank you so much for your good thoughts and energy. I can't tell you what it means right now to both of us.

Defcon5 She's only around 8 months and the vines have only been producing for a week or more. She started eating her first grapes a few days ago - but really - she didn't get that many. I'll still let the vet know.

And you're right - unless I'm absolutely 100% sure of poisoning? Then I should shush up about it and not give her any ideas. But I did want to add she has access to pounds and pounds of chocolate and knows what it will do to a dog. She learned first hand. I guess I should have clarified earlier that poison meant something bad for dogs, not necessarily rats. If that made sense.

Back to giving more fluids. She's actually acting better. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is all a result of the dog food being bad. I was looking online and there have been man dog deaths here in Italy due to companies using lower quality (and Chinese products) in even the best brand of dog food. I'll get that info in here later after I give Luci more fluids.

To Everyone After what I went through before with the our lovely Lucy (one) - I hope you can all forgive me if I freaked a little over this 'happening'. Usually I've got a much cooler head, but, looking at this pup suffer was just my undoing.

Thank you all!

edit on 8-10-2011 by silo13 because: fix pic

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hmmmm....it could be the grapes or the vine if she ate a piece of that. Look what I found.....it says grapes can make a dog sick...
www.vetinfo.com...

edit on 10/8/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Awwww bless her little heart....she has such beautiful eyes. Get well soon Ms. Luci!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If you're afraid she gave her chocolate here are the symptoms:

Symptoms of Chocolate Dog Ingestion and Poisoning
You can recognize that your dog has eaten a toxic dose of chocolate from the symptoms. Within the first few hours, the evidence includes vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity. As time passes and there's increased absorption of the toxic substance, you'll see an increase in the dog's heart rate, which can cause arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting. This can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.

When our dogs have eaten chocolate before, the vet has always had us induce vomiting via forcing a large syringe full of hydrogen peroxide down their throat. However, not all poisons can be treated like this, and inducing vomiting can cause further problems when used on the wrong substances. You can always call the vet and ask their advice over the phone if your ride is taking too long.

Here are the symptoms from the 2007 contaminated food incident:

en.wikipedia.org...
Pet owners were advised to monitor their animals for the following signs of possible kidney failure that may be associated with the unknown toxicant: loss of appetite, lethargy, depression, vomiting, diarrhea, sudden changes in water consumption, and changes in the frequency or amount of urination. It was advised that pets exhibiting these symptoms should be taken for veterinary care as soon as possible, even if the animal did not eat any of the recalled pet food, as these signs may be indicative of other illnesses.[47][48] Ultrasounds of animals who have eaten the contaminated food in most cases show cortical echogenicity, perirenal fluid and pyelectasia.

I'm pretty sure that has been taken care of and isn't still ongoing. Too many large pet food companies got sued over that mistake. I also don't think you would see many symptoms of renal failure after only three servings of the food, I believe that most of those animals got sick over a longer period of time.

Hope that helps.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I am praying she will be OK soon Silo.
It does take a lot of chocolate to make a dog ill-not likley she could have eaten so much with you watching over her.
Maybe she got an acid tummy from un ripe grapes?

Best wishes and good luck with the vet trip.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

When our dogs have eaten chocolate before, the vet has always had us induce vomiting via forcing a large syringe full of hydrogen peroxide down their throat. However, not all poisons can be treated like this, and inducing vomiting can cause further problems when used on the wrong substances. You can always call the vet and ask their advice over the phone if your ride is taking too long.

Terrible enough that sounds awful close but even though similar? I dunno. I mean she was hyper the night she (also) ate the 'new food' - one reason I thought maybe she got sick half way through the night and into the morning. And because she was sick I allowed her to sleep with me and yes I did notice arrhythmia but that could be attributed to vomiting/loss of electrolytes. She did vomit but until now did not have spastic G.I problems.

Thank you so much for your help! (Another side note here I live in Sicily and here? Well, things just work different, but, thank you for the idea of calling the vet to ask for more info)...

peace

edit on 8-10-2011 by silo13 because: note

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I am praying she will be OK soon Silo.
It does take a lot of chocolate to make a dog ill-not likley she could have eaten so much with you watching over her.
Maybe she got an acid tummy from un ripe grapes?

I'm beginning to think it's the grapes or the bad dog food. I mean, even though she showed some similar signs to chocolate, like you said, there was just no way she could have eaten that much chocolate without me knowing. Also, I clean up her 'science projects' every day - I NEVER leave them out and about in the vineyard and I didn't see any 'bad' ones until just when she got sick. I would presume if she ate enough chocolate to make her really sick I would have, well, to put it delicately, notice. That and even though she did vomit - lots - I was just thinking about it after answering Defcon5 - really all she vomited was the new dog food.

I tried to find the dog food brand online (Byrba) and had no luck at all. That is scary right there!

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Is this any good to you?

www.conagit.it...

There's a full list of ingredients.

PS it's come out in Italian, but It was definitely an English transaltion when I copied the link.
edit on 8-10-2011 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
After reading more, I think it's the grapes....here's some more about it (((hugs)))

Symptoms and diagnosisVomiting and diarrhea are often the first symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity. They often develop within a few hours of ingestion. Pieces of grapes or raisins may be present in the vomitus or stool. Further symptoms include weakness, not eating, increased drinking, and abdominal pain. Acute renal failure develops within 48 hours of ingestion.[4] A blood test may reveal increases in blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, phosphorus, and calcium.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Unreal! I did search after search and had no luck! Thank you SO MUCH! I'm going to write to them right away! What a marvel! Thank you again!

Luci ate last night and drank. She had a small vomit session this morning but since wants to eat again. She's very lively and active and happy. I guess the crisis is over - at least I hope. I was pretty upset there - living in the flashbacks of the first Lucy.

Thank you all so much,
gracie

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I so hope she's on the mend. Poor little pup looked so sorry for herself in the photo - but still a little charmer.

Give her a special hug from me

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm so glad she's doing better!
What did the vet say it was?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I'm glad to announce - no, not gald, I'm freaking out ecstatic to announce she's doing GREAT and passed the 'poo' test! The vet can't rule out poison or bad food. Ugh! He wondered about a compacted intestine but she as passing a 'little' so he sent her home waiting for it all to come out in the end (bad one I know) - more than likely he sent her home cause his studio is not set up for surgery too.

BUT! She's doing GREAT!

WOOHOO!!!!!

Thank you ALL! Thank God!

peace

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
but she as passing a 'little' so he sent her home waiting for it all to come out in the end (bad one I know)

Well, sounds like Mt Etna will have a rival. I suppose half the neighbours will be up on their roofs again for the big clean up ?

Hope it's not too soon for a joke, but it sound as if she's doing a lot better. So relief all round.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Excellent news Silo-I am happy for both of you.
Remain ever vigilant though.
Better to be safe than sorry.

BTW,My Monty boy is 16 today and he's been trotting about the place pleased as punch with his chewy toy,and trying to stop Buddy the GSD pinching it from him.
He's the oldest dog I have ever had in my family,and apart from very worn down teeth he's still tip top.

I am going to try to post some pics of them in the next week or so,if I can suss out the new ATS image thing.

Later!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Helluva thread. Thanks for sharing all that.

I cried like a little baby today reading this, thanks for that too. It was like reading Marley & Me, or Where the Red Fern Grows, I knew how it was going to turn out and I still bawled like little child. I feel your pain as I've had numerous pets over the years and their demises have all sucked. No need for stories but I can also feel your pain with your new puppy. I've had boxers and they are good at chewing. One really liked a desert tortoise we had and tried to chew it out of it's shell while we were gone.

Poor tortoise didn't have a chance. Neither did any sofas, windowsills, coffee tables, anything that might resemble something that could be called food, heck, pretty much anything.

We here just took in a old labrador, about ten or eleven a week or so ago. She'd been passed around and I wasn't really keen on another dog right now as I would have to do most of the work but this girl is twenty or so pounds overweight and basically sleeps. Doesn't get around very well which makes life around here easier.

She likes belly rubs, which is fine by me. I can provide them.

Good luck with Lucie. Luck may not be the word, patience is more like it.

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34 >>

join