It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru

Originally posted by dolphinfan

So you have the right to free speech, but you don't think other people should? When you do it, it's free speech, but when they do it, it's "PC"?

but in most cases its not those that my be offended that complain its normally someone looking at it and thinking, oh no that might offend someone!!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Madness.

Why dont we rename the muslim holiday of Ramadam to "Lets not eat anything for a week or two"

Or Eid to "Present Exchange"

Nah i forgot, we must bow down to different peoples religions. bow bow bow

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Christian Holidays were placed around pagan festivals after the conversion of Briton in order to make conversion easier. The pagan holiday of Beltane is the celebration of rebirth and is symbolized by the decorated egg. This practice is much older than any Easter celebration. I think the renaming of it is fitting. As the "Easter egg" has nothing to do with the resurrection of Christ and never has. It is the pagan tradition that was made Christian and a TRUE Christian would never have celebrated the egg in the first place. Stop stealing what is not yours and understand your history. The ONLY reason that Christians today use the egg at Easter is because of Big business and their marketing. I agree with the sphere comment as an egg is not a sphere, but maybe a renaming is what should be done and political correctness has nothing to do with it. By the way Santa Clause is not Christian either, it is pagan as well. Still want to celebrate pagan traditions?
edit on 9-4-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I wonder the same about people who take your position. As if one has to be a militant secularist to not be a Christian! Absurd.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Because a magical rabbit squirting out plastic eggs filled with candy has absolutely ANYTHING to do with a fictional story about the son of a god being tortured to death over a period of days and then casting a spell to resurrect himself.

Call them pagan grenades for all I care, just GIVE ME THE CANDY! OM NOM NOM!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Shoot, I'm an atheist and can tell you that I celebrate Easter as a purely secular holiday. The Bunny and Eggs have NOTHING to do with the religious element so I don't really see the problem. This seems like a local issue and should be treated as such.

I will, however, say that removing religion from public schools isn't a bad thing.

Peace
KJ

I have no problem with schools celebrating Festivals - - but any connection to Christianity or any other specific religious must go.

All or most Festivals were about Life - - Fertility and Harvest.

This is what children should learn.

It could be called Spring Festival - - and teach children about crops/harvesting and new birth. (food doesn't come from a store wrapped in plastic)

Thankfully more public schools are now calling it Spring Festival or Spring Break. Its about damn time!

edit on 9-4-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Everyone has the right to free speech. I could care less what you call my mother. I could care less what you call anything that I'm associate with, including me. Why? Because I am confident enough to discount what you say. You are not going to "hurt my feelings". Its your right and I would support you in maintaining that right.

It may be easy to attempt to lump all of the current levels of intolerance together in to one large bucket, but they are not the same. Gay marriage is not a tradition, for example. There are economic and legal ramificantions to gay marriage. In any event it is not a tradition. Should it become one? Perhaps. I certainly am supportive of gays being able to get married and enjoy all of the rights and privledges married couples have in this society.

You can try to even the scale by lumping one intolerance on the scale to balance the other side, but intolerance of traditions, significant traditions degrades society. It is an attempt to change history and no different tha censorship. If you or other folks think that these traditions are foolish, cool, don't celebrate them.

Why are the folks who are so determined to root out the traditions of society, so determined to do so? If there is a child who feels uncomfortable going to an Easter Egg hunt, there is something seriously wrong with the way he has been parented.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
what a joke this is America cmon people. We are allowed to worship whatever we want in this country but it doesnt give you the right to b*tch when someone else doesnt follow your beliefs. If your so against easter and find it extremely wrong to subject your children to these "devil spheres" dont send your child to school that day. They dont even do anything at school during those days besides have class party's. Just because you dont believe in somthing doesnt mean you have to ruin everyone else's day. Especially if its something as harmless as children finding eggs that have nothing to do with the Easter holiday in the first place.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Yes on Santa Claus and the yule log being non-religious traditions and the date for Christmas as December 25th is the rising of the sun 3 full days after the winter solstice and is when the Romans celebrated Saturnalia for their winter festival....definitely a pagan holiday hijacked to facilitate the transition to the Christian religion by the Romans. Funny how "Santa" is an anagram for "Satan" also (I know it really means "saint" which has a religious connotation).
edit on 9-4-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think they should have called them, "HUGE rip-off by the chocolate companies" really guys, have you seen how much chocolate ounce for ounce there is in one of those boxs, anyway it political correctness gone mad yet again, same old same old. I would just like to say, for supper tonight i had some, spotted dick
, it was yummy.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
What ever happened to freedom of speech, just call them Easter Eggs let the kids be kids and have fun without political correctness getting in the way damn it.

This reminds me of a South Park episode I watched years ago, I cant remember the title but it was a Christmas episode with a school play scene and basicaly they kept banning eveything that offended someone untill they all sat in silence all wearing black and staring forward at an empty stage.

These are crazy times.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This is really unnecessary considering the holiday is fairly devoid of Christian propaganda. I mean really, easter eggs, candy and a large bunny does not scream Christianity. The whole thing is of "pagan" origin in the first place!
edit on 9-4-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It's a childrens holiday more than anything else, there are those who go to church but the sake of it, its just stupid as hell!!

Come on, for all that is sane in this world , wont somebody explain the minds of these politicians?

Whats on the agenda today Govenor? EASTER EGGS!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Why not just say EGG HUNT.

Calling them spheres when they are egg shaped seems to not be a good idea for a school! In fact it sounds retarted!

TEACHERS NOTE>>>A sphere (from Greek σφαῖρα—sphaira, "globe, ball") is a perfectly round geometrical object in three-dimensional space, such as the shape of a round ball.
edit on 9-4-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Its probably because of my age. Back in the 50s - - we were forced to celebrate these as Christian holidays in public school.

It didn't matter if you were Jewish - Buddhist - or something else.

Easter and Christmas was totally and religiously celebrated in public school.

It was wrong then - - and it is still wrong.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

EXCELLENT post!

Originally posted by dolphinfan
You can try to even the scale by lumping one intolerance on the scale to balance the other side, but intolerance of traditions, significant traditions degrades society. It is an attempt to change history and no different tha censorship. If you or other folks think that these traditions are foolish, cool, don't celebrate them.

I disagree. No one is ruining the tradition of Easter eggs. It's just in the public school. You can have Easter eggs hunts any time you like.

Why are the folks who are so determined to root out the traditions of society, so determined to do so?

I think because the country is becoming more secular and religion just doesn't hold the place of esteem, and the privileges of that position, that it has for many years. Religion is becoming less important to the country as a whole and so people are noticing when it shows up in places like government-funded schools.

I personally don't think school is the place for any religion or religious celebration or activity, but I wouldn't mind it if they did something from all religions equally.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I have no problem with schools celebrating Festivals - - but any connection to Christianity or any other specific religious must go.

This seems to be a bit stiff don't you think? The secular (or pagan) portion of easter really have no connection to Christianity at all and never have. I have no problem with calling it Spring Break because that's what it is and also have no issue with Easter Eggs. It's once the Christians try to sneak Jesus into things or their peculiar morals that I have an issue.

My children play with Jewish toys during their holidays and some schools are teaching cursory amounts about Islam. This, in my mind, goes well beyond what is permissible so don't confuse me with someone who tolerates religion in any form in the public education system.

All or most Festivals were about Life - - Fertility and Harvest.

This is what children should learn.

It could be called Spring Festival - - and teach children about crops/harvesting and new birth. (food doesn't come from a store wrapped in plastic)

Thankfully more public schools are now calling it Spring Festival or Spring Break. Its about damn time!

If that is the case then one could make connections to a variety of Pagan "religions" if you really want to stretch things. I'd really prefer if they simply stuck to what educators should be doing. Educating them about the world we live in.

Better yet, let's eliminate schools run by the government.

edit on 9-4-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Ummmm, I think that before everyone goes blaming those pesky liberals for renaming Easter eggs "bunny spheres" or whatever, they should enlighten themselves to the actual origins of the egg, the rabbit, and how the even became associated with Jesus the Christ. As the egg and the rabbit have pagan origins to begin with and were brought into the celebration as a means to make Christianity easier to accept for the "heathens," removing the eggs and the rabbit from Easter is actually a good thing for all you Jesus lovers. Is that really such a bad thing considering you believe this man suffered immensely to save you ETERNAL soul? Just throwin' it out there....

Love,
Telephone Monkey
edit on 9-4-2011 by telephonemonkey because: Punctuation

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
We're all on a highway to straight to Hell anyway, lets just nuke ourselves and be done with it so the cockroaches have funny stories to tell their offspring.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

I wonder if they ever realize how ridiculous they appear.

Probably not. Lord knows the Christians never do when they are foaming at the mouth over the teaching of evolution in school.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join