It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres'

www.mynorthwest.com

"At the end of the week I had an idea to fill little plastic eggs with treats and jelly beans and other candy, but I was kind of unsure how the teacher would feel about that," Jessica said.

She was concerned how the teacher might react to the eggs after of a meeting earlier in the week where she learned about "their abstract behavior rules."

"She said that I could it as long as I called this treat 'spring spheres.' I couldn't call them Easter eggs."

'Oh look, spring spheres'

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is just fantastic. Yet another politically correct destruction of a holiday, because it might offend someone. Now who could possibly be offended by an Easter Egg hunt? It is nothing more than a scavenger hunt and has no relationship with the actual reason behind the Easter holiday and everyone knows that.

If these events were uncommon, they would be laughable. Now it is inappropriate for kids to have an Easter Egg hunt.

The one thing that is laughable is that an egg is not a sphere.

A sphere is defined as "A three-dimensional surface, all points of which are equidistant from a fixed point." Lets hope that this was not a math teacher involved in this nonsense, not that a teacher should know the definition of a sphere in any event, regardless of what they are teaching.

Now, I am also puzzled as to what the "abstract behavior rules" with respect to eggs are. If anyone can enlighten me on that I would be eternally gratefull. I have never seen an egg behave in anyway, but perhaps, I'm not looking closely enough.

It is no wonder why 80% of our schools are failing. They spend more time figuring out how to change traditions which, on the outside chance that they might offend some overly sensitive buffoon. That and talking this nonsensical business about the abstract behavior rules of eggs.

It is also no wonder that private schools are a boom business and home schooling rates are off the charts.

www.mynorthwest.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

While 'spring spheres' sounds a bit silly to me, Easter is undeniably a religious holiday. Why do I have the feeling if the kids were forced to celebrate a Jewish or Muslim holiday, you'd also call that "political correctness"?

By the way, is it political correctness to object to someone calling your mother a nasty name to her face? If not, explain why not.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
But.. but... but.. they're not spherical.

Also this type of nauseatingly abstract and demented politically correct behaviour is annoying and makes me want to bit a chunk of my keyboard.

(But i won't).

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Wow this is insane
they should just not use easter eggs.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
should have called them bunny balls, this is silly. let them have their eggs who cares?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru

While 'spring spheres' sounds a bit silly to me, Easter is undeniably a religious holiday. Why do I have the feeling if the kids were forced to celebrate a Jewish or Muslim holiday, you'd also call that "political correctness"?

By the way, is it political correctness to object to someone calling your mother a nasty name to her face? If not, explain why not.

who forces kids to celebrate easter? most people these days dont even care about the real meaning of easter anyway its just a bit of fun for the kids. and what exactly does that have to do with calling anyones mother a nasty name?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

This is just horrible. I cant believe they are ruining the holiday this way! Damn liberals are running this country into the ground and now they want to rename "Easter eggs" "Spring Spheres?" Commies.

I personally vote for "Colored Chicken Periods." I cant believe they chose Spring Spheres instead.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Shoot, I'm an atheist and can tell you that I celebrate Easter as a purely secular holiday. The Bunny and Eggs have NOTHING to do with the religious element so I don't really see the problem. This seems like a local issue and should be treated as such.

I will, however, say that removing religion from public schools isn't a bad thing.

Peace
KJ

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
What do eggs have to do with Easter anyway? The two are not related. However that IS their name, and attempting to change that only focuses more attention on the concept you are trying to de-emphasize. Silly PC-ers, Trix are for kids!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
"Colored Chicken Periods."

Funny, but careful the NAACP doesn't hear that lest we open another can of worms.

Can't we all just get along?

Peace
KJ

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Things like there are ridiculous and are pathetic attempts to cover up traditions. Just as the article says, the kids know that the eggs are Easter eggs, no matter what the school's administration wants to call them.

All that aside, the way folks celebrate Easter makes no sense...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So tired of the politically correct BS.

They are Easter eggs...always have been always will be in my book. And I don't really care if anyone gets offended by me calling them what they are.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

I certainly would not consider celebrating other traditions and holidays politically correct. I would call it a good and potentially enlighting experience. I would suggest that exposing kids to as many things a possible is the responsible thing to do for any parent. Kids need to make their own decisions and to the extent that they are not harmful, a responsible parent should be supportive of them. If one of my kids found comfort in being Jewish, Muslim or an atheist, I would be pleased they they found comfort in those belief systems.

Our family attends traditional Passover dinner with friends, which is a beautiful tradition. They celebrate Christmas with us. We talk with our kids about every religion, both as they are currently practiced as well as their history, in both cases, the good and the bad. We've have friends of all types and enjoy the opportunities we have had to share their traditions with them. Its an honor to be asked to do so. It has never made me doubt my beliefs nor made me feel uncomfortable. And to the extent that celebrating any tradition makes folks uncomfortable, the hell with these overly sensitive fools.

There are societies where traditions are deemed harmful and the citizens are driven away from their heritage and adopt a state set of traditions. There are typically two ways that has historically been accomplished - under the jackboot and under the soft jackboot of political correctness.

If you are offended by an Easter Egg hunt. Don't go. Having a kid root around under a bush for some candy is not really filling him up with tales of Jesus.

As far as calling your mother a name, I don't see any connection or logic behind that what so ever. It would certainly be my right to free speach however.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
"Politcal Correctness" has reached a new level of absurdity. Afterall Easter eggs is a pagan tradition - it just happens to coincide with the Death and Resurrection of Jesus. Ester was the goddess of fertility and eggs are a symbol of same. It originated from a spring ritual of fertility not a religious event. Geeeez. I like alliteration and all but this is ridiculous!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The whole Easter egg thing is a part of our culture. It's going to be good fun when we start sanitizing everything and things become generic. Spring Spheres, really? Great culture right there.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

This is stupid...I mean I am not religious and yet we still do the whole easter baskets/easter egg thing..I mean really is the easter bunny and easter eggs really associated with the whole christian holiday? I don't remember jesus holding a basket with eggs in it...

I would have stomped that teacher to the ground if she complained to me...what is wrong with people today...grow some balls and live and do as you please!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

This is both comically ridiculous and heartbreakingly awful. The egg tradition has very little to do with the religious foundations of Easter, and every little kid looks forward to scary masks on Halloween, candy canes and carols on Christmas, and plastic eggs filled with chocolate bunnies on Easter. Political correctness had spiralled utterly out of control and children are being deprived (not to mention confused) because the goverment insists schools make every lesson and celebration socially, religiously, and ethnicaly nuetral. It looks nice on paper, but does more harm than good when put into application.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

As far as calling your mother a name, I don't see any connection or logic behind that what so ever. It would certainly be my right to free speach however.

So you have the right to free speech, but you don't think other people should? When you do it, it's free speech, but when they do it, it's "PC"?

The truth is that for every one little silly story like this, there are literally hundreds of complaints from the Parents Television Council about broadcasting which violates their moral Christian standards. And these complaints have actual power, through the way the FCC treats them, to control what everyone in the country is allowed to hear, see and think about.

"Spring Spheres" and other goofy but isolated and benign examples of "PC gone mad" are nothing compared to the actual tyranny of "RC gone mad". "Religious correctness" is what is we really have to worry about.

And yeah, people who are on the inside always attack people who are on the outside for feeling alienated by their insider rituals. Yet the same people turn around and complain if they even have to HEAR about a gay person getting married. They criticize others for perceiving what is invisible to them -- hey, it's just culture, just us, just how things are, what normal is, who normal is -- and yet the very moment their comfort zone of sameness is challenged they become agitated, insisting they are somehow being oppressed just because somebody different from them isn't pretending to be the same as them.

Heck, they're actually trying to do what you want -- keep the fun of the eggs and the holiday but make it so it's truly just cultural, something open to everyone without any alienating baggage from the privileged class.
edit on 9-4-2011 by sepermeru because: and another thing

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Getting rid of the term 'Easter Eggs' is about as ridiculous as getting rid of 'Santa Claus' in the public realm. Those have both become secular representations so I don't see why militant atheists panic at the thought.

Religious Christmas: Jesus' birth, manger scenes, etc.
Secular Christmas: Santa Claus, Christmas trees, etc.

Religious Easter: Jesus' resurrection, empty tomb images, 'He is Risen' slogans, etc.
Secular Easter: Easter bunnies, Easter eggs, etc.

I simply cannot take these militant secularists serious until they target Halloween in our schools due to the pagan origins and since Halloween is a current pagan holiday. Oh, they never will though. And not that I would want them to. Just making a point how they pick and choose.

I wonder if they ever realize how ridiculous they appear.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join