It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Things Survival: Show 4: But What Else Does It Do? : (POTW...Oaks)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ba07808fc03.jpg[/atsimg]

Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 8:00PM EST

illustrial.net

The gathered a panel of hosts, include Military Veterans, Mountain Men and just plain old Hillbillies, with a combined experience in Survival of over 100 years!!!!!

Your Panel

JacKatMtn
Semperfortis
Ahabstar
12m8keall2c
and
Asktheanimals

This weeks show will be about multi-function items. From the trusty old fence pliers to modern Leathermans and Gerber multi-tools. We will be discussing what items do what and how to consider how the multiple uses of gear fits in with what you should pack. We all know that a good knife is one of the most indispensable tools that you will carry. But this show will look into other uses for items. The simple premise of the more something can do is less that you have to carry.

I would like to remind everyone that last week's Plant of the Week was the Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) and in case you missed the informative post in the show thread, you can read more about this useful and easy to identify plant here in this post

So TUNE IN THURSDAY @ 8:00PM EASTERN via illustrial.net and give us some listeners while you learn and expand your knowledge along the way. And if you have not checked out our YouTube Channel, stop by and watch the videos we have up. And be sure to leave comments, hit the like button or subscribe as you feel is appropriate.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Survival Radio Show

And one other thing of note, we have had some questions of how to listen to earlier shows. We are currently working on setting up some space to have them available and will let people know how to find them when we have that ready.

edit on Thu, 07 Apr 2011 21:10:49 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/9/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Ya might want to let folks know they can download youtube vids to watch later...
lots of free youtube downloaders out there and I like to watch when I have time too..
not when I have an available Internet connection
call it TIVO for vid's

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thought I would mention this weeks Plant of the Week - Oak.
It;s much more than just good firewood, how about free food for 6 months out of the year?
Looking forward to the show and I hope folks will be able to tune in.
Cheers,
Asktheanimals

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Survival Radio Show

Come on and give us some love...

Semper

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Images for Knife of the Week, as featured in the show are shown below.

These images are sized as uploaded, have not been reformatted to this display. To see images full scale please right click and copy image location, then paste to tabbed browser. Reformatting in process.

The background is a ACU Poncho and 550 paracord, which are stored in the poncho case. Every poncho can be used as a lean to, shelter half, etc...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/317829553016.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/68c9e08dd55c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28e34b0b6a13.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/357e1f0ba7ba.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c46422c8c61f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67e067971686.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 7-4-2011 by ADVISOR because: I need the practice...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
New video on Multi Tools

Multi Tools

Check it out and give us some love folks..

Semper

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Oak, Plant of the week #3

Oak, a tree most of us are familiar with, comprises around 600 species worldwide with about 60 native to North America. Very large, tall trees known by the genus Quercus (which surprisingly means "oak tree" in Latin).
Long held sacred by many cultures including the Druids and Norse, oak is viewed as a symbol of strength and longevity.
During the reign of the Anglo Saxon kings in England, the wanton desecration or destruction of oak trees was illegal - the penalty being decided by how large and productive the tree was. This was because hogs were let loose in the forests to forage for acorns during late fall and winter, a practice continued to this day in parts of Appalachia.

Oak was valued for building as well as for making ships, barrels and furniture.
In Boston harbor sits the USS Constitution, known as Old Ironsides for the ability of her oaken hull to repel British cannon shot, helping us retain our independence from Britain during the war of 1812.

Native Americans also depended upon oak as a staple of their diets - although chestnuts were preferred, acorns dried and ground into flour were used extensively throughout North America.
It is also used as medicine by making a tea of the inner bark which was used for: dysentery, mucous discharge, bleeding, hemorrhoids, poison ivy rash, burns and skin disorders.
Scientific studies have shown that extracts are: antiviral, antiseptic, anti-cancer AND carcinogenic.

Oak bark and acorns contain a chemical compound called Tannins, which is potentially toxic.
It imparts a bitter taste to acorns which can be remedied by a simple process I'll discuss shortly.
Tannins are also used in - tanning. Soaking hides in tannins softens the fibers and allows for easier removal of hair.

Red Oak on left, White Oak or right.

Oaks come in 2 basic types - White oaks and Red or Black oaks.
The nuts of the white oak are sweeter and contain less tannins, some are even quite edible raw, white oak, chestnut oak and pin oak being the best varieties.
White oaks produce nuts every year while Red oaks produce them every other year.

How To tell them apart:
White oaks have leaves with rounded lobes and the inside of the acorn shell is hairless.
Red oaks have leaves with sharply pointed tips and the inside of the acorn shell has hairs.

Inedible acorns - from left: hole showing acorn weevil damage / rotted acorn / sprouting acorn

Edible acorns - color should be white to yellowish-brown, immature green acorns can be eaten as well. Do not eat any part of an acorn that is colored black, red or purple.

To process acorns remove the shells and dry the nuts, then grind them, put them in boiling water and continue to change the water until it no longer turns reddish brown. IF changing water be sure to bring water to a boil before moving as placing them in cold water tends to "fix" the tannins in place.
Alternatively, you can chop the dried acorns, put them in a cloth bag and allow to soak for a few days in a running stream.

Once dried again, acorn flour can be used alone or to extend flour supplies. I recommend the latter as it a bit strong for most tastes.

As medicine I have used a wash of the inner bark for poison ivy and it did help dry up the blisters. I would only use it internally for extreme emergencies. As a gargle it could be helpful with abcessed teeth, painful sores or sore throats. Again, do not ingest! Tannins are potentially toxic.

Oak is a superior firewood, producing great amounts of heat and long burning coals.
I would NOT recommend oak for making friction fire sets however, it is very difficult to carve and unlikely to produce a coal with a bow drill.

In the fall, hunters of deer, squirrel and turkey know that these animals and many more will consume massive amounts of acorns to put fat on for winter. Quietly waiting in a stand of productive white oaks is a good bet for fall and stand hunting.

Oak: food, fuel, medicine, building materials and magic.
What more could one ask of a tree?

edit on 4/11/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed image links

edit on 11-4-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added commentary

top topics

join