It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Facebook dead yet?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Toxicsurf

I've seen other people using it, and seen what its done, how its consumed people, and so on.
If I had no experience with Facebook, from seeing people use it etc, I wouldn't have an opinion on it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I permanently deleted my Facebook account... And somehow, my real friends and caring family manage to interact with me in much more meaningful ways.

I stopped feeding that machine my personal psychosocialdemographic information, which they only turned around to sell corporations and governments.

Though I am happy to have friends that don't mind having fun on Facebook. To each their own.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I never got into Facebook. I don't really care to either know or want others to know when I am taking a crap, reading a book, or eating a chicken wing. If I want someone to share in my personal life, I'll let them know. Facebook, considering it developed via a desire to hook up with other college students for pleasure imo, is pretty pointless.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I just opened up my facebook account.This is so great.I am eating a french fry,hold on, I have to update That I am adding salt,Hold on,I have to update that I meant to say sea salt,Hold on, I have to update that I need freinds,please give me thumbs up or ill be so sad.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce
I actually feel the same way about my G-phone, it does prove to be handy at times but for the most part, i could do without it. If i didnt need a phone for work purposes or to keep up with my brats, I wouldnt even have one.

What irritates me about cell phones though, is that people EXPECT you to have it on you AT ALL TIMES.
If they call, you better answer, or they think your dodging them and get offended.
I have came back from the store, leaving my phone at home on purpose and finding several missed calls from the same person, then a vmail asking me why im avoiding them..
What happened to calling someone once, leaving a vmail if its really important and waiting on the call back?

Phone etiquette has gone to hell with technology advancements.

I know there's a lot of thread in between these but, this is exactly why I do not have a cell phone. It's actually amusing, people look at you like you have a second head when you say you don't have a cell phone. My new job is going to purchase one for me when i'm on call etc. but when i'm off rotation it'll sit in the desk up at work.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Facebook is:

1) Whatever you use it for

2) Whatever you allow it to be

It isn't our problem the best you can think to do with the tool is tell us what you are stuffing into your gullet.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I appreciate the reply. I guess we were on different pages.
I don't use revit, but I am proficient with Maya and Z-brush.
I work in the animation field, so those tools are better for organic forms.
Again, thanks for the reply, I would be pissed too.
It is strange though. I post very controversial things on facebook all the time. And as far as posting art, not so much, but links to my blog and new artists to check out get swapped all the time.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
i'm on facebook, mainly for communication with friends, could never be bothered to do all the crappy when there's better PC and console games, and really just check it maybe once every few days.

doubt i'd smash my iphone, I don't really use it for facebook as much as checking business emails if i'm away from home, or google maps , plus it's the only phone I have any service in my town on for some reason

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Everything on facebook, twitter, etc., goes straight to homeland security.
nuff said

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I use facebook for a variety of reasons, the main reason would be for sharing my music. Easiest way for me to get it out to the masses and actually get it noticed, I've connected with a couple thousand fans all over the world that I wouldn't have been able to reach without it. I think it is great for networking when it comes to do with my music. Thats my musician account, for my personal one my parents live about 4000 miles away from us so it is how they keep updated with pictures of my daughter. I've also got friends that live far away that I would never get the chance to talk to if I it wasn't on facebook. I don't have a ton of friends on there cause I don't want them. Basically if it's not someone I would normally interact with I don't have them as a friend unless they post stuff of interest to me i.e I use it to find new music/news etc. again stuff that I just wouldn't find if it wasn't posted there. Facebook definitely has it's pluses and minus' and there is definitely people addicted to it. Sure I waste time on it sometimes but I think it's silly to just generalize that it's only used by people with self esteem issues or is nothing but a popularity contest, I definitely missed something if that is the point

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I don't get how this has 50+ stars... I don't like something that allows people to keep in contact easily with friends that may live too far away or have access to a library computer and not a phone. If you don't like facebook just ignore it.

ATS is supposed to be about denying ignorance and to not see the value of facebook is highly ignorant. To the people that claimed they were addicted to mini games and random facebooking... You had a problem that was caused by your own fragile will not the website. I check my facebook once a day and don't feel the need to play farmville all day, as a matter of fact there's an option to ignore all those games. Facebook is like any other convenience of the modern age, too much of it is bad and ignorant. You wouldn't stare at your phone all day waiting for something to happen or eat cakes everyday all day because its easy to get one at the supermarket.

Facebook isn't dead because its convenient and I wont pretend I don't have friends or family to avoid a fad. You could say phone calls or email, but facebook is just so much easier. It's chat, email, and gives you a chance to laugh at a picture posted that may remind you of a fond memory.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

OK, point taken. People can be consumed by many things though if not used properly. From food, sex, gambling, shopping, etc, etc. Not a reason to get rid of theses things though..

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
POKE POKE POKE, LIKE LIKE LIKE.....LOL LOL LOL......

I swear it makes me wanna throw up

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
POKE POKE POKE, LIKE LIKE LIKE.....LOL LOL LOL......

I swear it makes me wanna throw up

Serizawa: I just threw up ROFLMAO: 173 likes

Serizawa: Rushed in here to tell guys before I even brushed my teeth

edit on 16-4-2011 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Amen!!! Technology and indulgence have cast a shadow on the world... Kick the habits while you can, people! If you need any inspiration, listen to "Another way to die" by Disturbed... it's about pollution, technology and corrupt governments screwing up people of the world. Look up the music video you guys, you won't be sorry

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Nope, still alive and kicking bro.

Peace and Love
edit on 18-4-2011 by Mizzijr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Posted by a friend of mine today.

WELCOME TO FACEBOOK... The place where people add you as a friend & walk past you in the street. Where relationships are perfect, affairs are started, & liars believe they are telling the truth. Your enemies visit your profile the most, yet your friends & family block you, & even though you write what you are really thinking, someone always takes it the wrong way, & people think your status is about them...LOL

Poke!!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MinMin
Posted by a friend of mine today.

WELCOME TO FACEBOOK... The place where people add you as a friend & walk past you in the street. Where relationships are perfect, affairs are started, & liars believe they are telling the truth. Your enemies visit your profile the most, yet your friends & family block you, & even though you write what you are really thinking, someone always takes it the wrong way, & people think your status is about them...LOL

Poke!!!!

Bravo!!

These are the very things that made me cancel my Facebook a few months ago!!

Thanks again!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
My girlfriend and I deleted crackbook a few weeks ago. We both thought we were on it too much.

Its really ridiculous when we see friends and they ask us something and we don`t know about it and they ask ``didn`t you get the facebook invite`` or ``did you see what so and so posted on facebook`` it`s insane.

For the first few days it was hard and I felt cut off from everything, but now we are both glad we kicked that blood sucker to the curb.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

Facebook is here to stay and not going anywhere anytime soon. You are actually missing out on what's up in the lives of friends and family. But like any addiction, which it sounds like you both had, it must be addressed. You both chose the extreme by deleting accounts. Instead, you could have instituted a bit of self-control and not used FB as often. You are both actually weirder for not being on there.

And certainly, never ever ever never take FB seriously - it's a tool, that's it. Not a measurement stick, not to "keep up with the Jones,'" not who's kid is cuter... those thoughts drive people off FB, but actually say more about the people leaving then the ones who stay. People who stay have a better grip on themselves and usually their friend lists and type of info they post.

Anyways, good luck, live long and prosper, yadda yadda....

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join